NASA project ARTEMIS and Marching to Mars

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps this is a small example of things to come (what is inferred by the responses also) -that if flight of people to mars is ever possible and feasible, the rich will go there and leave the "toilet-less" and other "have nots" behind.

Of course, I never would think that going elsewhere will be a possibility for everyone, but it is the possible attitudes held by those who could go for those who can not go.

Yes but that would mean that Mars would have to be terra formed and changed into a livable place replete with a breathable atmosphere. If I'm a super rich guy I'm not going to enjoy being stuck inside some small station no bigger than a football stadium (and even there I'm being generous).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes but that would mean that Mars would have to be terra formed and changed into a livable place replete with a breathable atmosphere. If I'm a super rich guy I'm not going to enjoy being stuck inside some small station no bigger than a football stadium (and even there I'm being generous).

You know what I mean-all that "doomsday scenario" type of stuff. And just the plain old over population and pollution thing. Isn't that what the film Elysium is about? The rich and chosen living well off world and the masses left behind?

Anyhow, more to the topic, India-and China- have some serious domestic issues. Particularly in India, where they seem to have all conditions in parallel existence; ! st world condition here- 3rd world or worse conditions around the corner.

I think their space program is just a way to get foreign established space nations to notice their products.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As long as this A-hole doesn't take up residence on Mars I'll be happy ;)

tumblr_meznf9DjwR1qg39ewo1_r2_500.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Perhaps this is a small example of things to come (what is inferred by the responses also) -that if flight of people to mars is ever possible and feasible, the rich will go there and leave the "toilet-less" and other "have nots" behind.

Of course, I never would think that going elsewhere will be a possibility for everyone, but it is the possible attitudes held by those who could go for those who can not go.

Why would anyone with means leave for a desert planet? If anything, they would sell the masses on the new world and clean this one up for themselves.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why would anyone with means leave for a desert planet? If anything, they would sell the masses on the new world and clean this one up for themselves.

We can only hope the ships carrying the masses to Mars would have glass windows. ;) :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the private, 'crowd sourced" mars mission

they just weaned the applicants down to 99, apparently there were thousands

again, this group plans on first sending an orbiter and landing living modules before sending ppl there

the volunteers will arrive in either groups of 2 or 4 spaced out over 2 yrs

they will eventually assemble their colony, build greenhouses and I expect some type of Co2 generator to begin 'terra forming' of some type

the plan is for a one way trip--so all applicants need to be willing to reproduce,etc,etc

interesting--they plan on going in the next 10 (?) yrs-see if they can pull it off

http://www.mars-one.com/

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but that website seems far too Pollyanna when it comes to the realities of living on Mars. They make some vague lip service when it comes to radiation shielding -- which they will need on a daily basis as Mars doesn't have an electro-magnetic field the way Earth does; i.e. Mars lacks radiation protection which is pretty much the sole reason it's a barren rock floating through space.

So my question is, how are they going to shield the crops they're growing from the bouts of radioactivity spewed out by the sun on a regular basis? Sure the humans -- if given warning -- could hide in a protected bunker until the radiation levels go down, but the crops would be exposed to the massive amounts of radiation since they can't be moved.

And don't even get me going on how the humans will maintain bone and muscle density on a planet that has much lighter gravity than we have here on Earth.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but that website seems far too Pollyanna when it comes to the realities of living on Mars. They make some vague lip service when it comes to radiation shielding -- which they will need on a daily basis as Mars doesn't have an electro-magnetic field the way Earth does; i.e. Mars lacks radiation protection which is pretty much the sole reason it's a barren rock floating through space.

So my question is, how are they going to shield the crops they're growing from the bouts of radioactivity spewed out by the sun on a regular basis? Sure the humans -- if given warning -- could hide in a protected bunker until the radiation levels go down, but the crops would be exposed to the massive amounts of radiation since they can't be moved.

And don't even get me going on how the humans will maintain bone and muscle density on a planet that has much lighter gravity than we have here on Earth.

It has more gravity than the ISS, so it would easier on bone and muscle density than the ISS. I agree; Mars is a place to visit, not live.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Oh you are such a Debby Downer :vala-newanime020: :anim_59:

I am sure they will bring iodide pills and lots of stationary bikes.... :rolleye0014:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The dude who made the Tesla suggested that if you wanted to make mars inhabitable "quick and dirty", you could set of nukes at the poles to melt the water and alter the atmosphere.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, they found supporting evidence proving that water exists on Mars, just not the actual water. As always ... yay (<-- deliberate lower case).

they didn't just prove that water exists there (that has been proven dozens of times now-water in various forms-ice, underground,etc) but have found evidence for current, seasonal flow of surface water--liquid and 'running' in martian summer (the growing dark lines on the surface) and freezing in the martian winter with the lines receding

I wonder if it is feasible to send one of the rovers already there to the site or if it is too far away?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
they didn't just prove that water exists there (that has been proven dozens of times now-water in various forms-ice, underground,etc) ...

Excerpt:

Whatever the source, Ojha said the evidence is unambiguous proof that liquid water exists on Mars.

Yes, they didn't "just prove" it exists, they now "unambiguously proved" that water exists. Like I said ... yay (<-- lowercasr).