Just how many bridges did TPTB burn when they made Stargate Universe?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At the very least we're owed an apology.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
At the very least we're owed an apology.

Yep but a genuine one you will never hear. If an apology was offered I think it would be couched between a negative diatrabe about stargate sg1/sga fans. BW certainly cant seem to help himeself sometimes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Brad will never apologize and neither will Joe

Yep but a genuine one you will never hear. If an apology was offered I think it would be couched between a negative diatrabe about stargate sg1/sga fans. BW certainly cant seem to help himeself sometimes.

In Brad's head, the fans are who "punished" SGU and caused it to be cancelled. Yep, it was SGUS and the tiny group of "angry but vocal SGA fans" who killed the show. :roll:

He will never in a million years acknowledge that he wrote a derivative, vapid soap opera in space, and miscast some excellent actors in the stupid show thinking that THEIR talent could somehow compensate for the awful writing and ill-conceived stories. Nothing, including the very VERY expensive (and unneccesary) sets, the awesome CGI (yes, its awesome even though I hate to admit it), and a "built-in fanbase" could help it.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Yeah, that is exactly what my plan was. I wanted to sabotage SGU from day one. I was so mad that SGA got cancelled that I wanted to see it fail, so I got on the forums and ran it down in order to reduce the viewership.

What the frak ever... lmao!
If you believe that, I got some ocean front property in Arizona, from my front porch you can see the sea.

I seriously was hoping SGU was going to be every bit as good as SGA, and SG-1...if not better. To be honest, I was a little nervous about the whole "Lost in Space" concept, sounded too much like BattleStar (Dead give away right there they wanted the show to resemble BSG), Not to mention that that Idead has been done several other times in other Sci-Fi shows as well. Such as, Star Trek: Voyager.

However, I was willing to give the show a chance anyway. Then...I get to watching it and it's just a big fat hot mess, full of drama. I did not approve of all the tension, it made me nervous, and I already got high blood pressure. The show was more like watching Days of our lives, or As the world turns (As the gate turns, as it's been said), than watching a Sci-Fi show. Therefore I did not like it. I'm sure the folks that like Days of our lives, and As the world turns, probably just loved every minute of it. But for people like me that actually want some Sci-Fi with my Tech-Babble, it was a...not so good show.

It just simply was not the type of show I wanted to watch. And, I'm not going to just make my self watch Drama, when I don't want too. How is this my fault? Just because I don't like Drama shows...now it's my fault because TPTB thinks I should like Drama? Those guys, really did make a lot of the shows that I have liked in the past...yes. So, of "ALL PEOPLE" in the world they should know good and well what I like to watch. Anyway you get the picture.

Here's the deal, taking Stargate and trying to make it what BSG was, was a pretty stupid Idea. I mean seriously.

(This is not directed at anyone here on these forum boards, just so no one gets the wrong idea. It is directed at TPTB.)

How in the ever lovin heck did he...? I mean is he a few monkeys shy of a circus or something? I don't like Drama, and I was not all that crazy about BSG to be honest, but it was 20 times better than SGU, simply because it was far (Way far) enough away from the original series that it was able to develop it's Own fan base. If you were to take BSG, go through a wormhole back in time and "Cancel" the original series, to put that new BSG on, the fans would certainly reject. Why? Cause they have such a huge amount of tunnel vision, and don't think that anything can be better than what they are currently watching? No, silly. Because it is a "TOTALLY" different show. It is not the same. It is different. Never, mind I am just as stupid as TPTB, actually. Because, I seem to think I can explain logic to an idiot.

Thing is he has had Stargate running as a series in some form or another being a witty, action packed, funny, Sci-Fi show for around 15 years, then he wants to rip the sails down, and sail in a "Different Direction"? And, he expects everyone to just follow him? Like he's Moses or something? I mean what?

Now, it's our fault cause he hit the Iceberg we all warned him about? Dude, even the Titanic sank. And, everyone thought it was the best ship in the world, and was, I quote: "Unsinkable".

What a selfish little prick. Just goes to show the cocky little jerk what "Pride" will do for ya.

He should have given the show off to some other writters, and started a new franchise to explore his other writting qualities.

And, here's another thing, if we are so "Predicable" as fans, then why the heck would he think his silly little plan would work? Should not all of this have been "Predicted"? And, if it was "Predicted", than who's the dummy for going ahead with the plan knowing what the outcome would be?

Obviously, we are not as "Predicable" as was thought. And, therefore they do need our viewership for financial success...As it were!

B

Backstep

Yeah, that is exactly what my plan was. I wanted to sabotage SGU from day one. I was so mad that SGA got cancelled that I wanted to see it fail, so I got on the forums and ran it down in order to reduce the viewership.

WHAT THE FRAK EVER! lmao!

If you believe that, I got some ocean front property in Arizona, from my front porch you can see the sea.

I seriously was hoping SGU was going to be every bit as good as SGA, and SG-1...if not better. But it was not.

It just simply was not the type of show I wanted to watch. And, I'm not going to just make my self watch Drama, when I don't want too.

There should really be a Drama Channel...for all those type of shows. I can't stand Drama. Especially not the all serious Drama.

Here's the deal, taking Stargate and trying to make it what BSG was, was a pretty stupid Idea. I mean seriously.

How it the ever lovin heck did he...? I mean is he a few monkeys shy of a circus or something? I don't like Drama, and I was not all that crazy about BSG to be honest, but it was 20 times better than SGU.

Thing is he has have Stargate running as a series in some form or another being a witty, action packed, funny, Sci-Fi show for around 15 years, then he wants to rip the sails down, and sail in a "Different Direction"? And, he expects everyone to just follow him? Like he's Moses or something? I mean what?

Now, it's our fault cause he hit the Iceberg we all warned him about?

What a selfish little prick.

There is nothing wrong with drama when it's done right, universe(I can't place the SG in front of that show) is a melodrama. Big difference between drama and melodrama.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
I agree, there is nothing wrong with drama. Like I said, I think it worked better for the Reboot of BSG then, with the SGU thing.

I'm just saying, when you don't really care for Drama period, then, it becomes a problem when it's shoved down your windpipe.

Kind of like if your allergic to peanuts, and peanut products. And, you go to a place to eat, and tell them that. But, they don't tell you because they think you will not notice, that "It's all in your head". Now your all broke out, having to be rushed to the E.R.

Yeah. That's a lot like how I feel. haha.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I agree, there is nothing wrong with drama. Like I said, I think it worked better for the Reboot of BSG then, with the SGU thing.

I'm just saying, when you don't really care for Drama period, then, it becomes a problem when it's shoved down your windpipe.

Kind of like if your allergic to peanuts, and peanut products. And, you go to a place to eat, and tell them that. But, they don't tell you because they think you will not notice, that "It's all in your head". Now your all broke out, having to be rushed to the E.R.

Yeah. That's a lot like how I feel. haha.
While I agree with most of your rant and can understand where you're coming from, I still find it hard to believe that you don't like ANY drama at all. Maybe it is melodrama like Backstep suggested?
You already mentioned DOOL and AtWT as soaps you don't care for. What other non sci-fi or action/adventure shows do you watch?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
In Brad's head, the fans are who "punished" SGU and caused it to be cancelled. Yep, it was SGUS and the tiny group of "angry but vocal SGA fans" who killed the show. :roll:

He will never in a million years acknowledge that he wrote a derivative, vapid soap opera in space, and miscast some excellent actors in the stupid show thinking that THEIR talent could somehow compensate for the awful writing and ill-conceived stories. Nothing, including the very VERY expensive (and unneccesary) sets, the awesome CGI (yes, its awesome even though I hate to admit it), and a "built-in fanbase" could help it.

I don't think its really right to expect Brad to apologize for writing SGU. If anything its the whole Atlantis situation that deserves comment, not Universe itself.

Personally speaking I have no problem with a completely different type of show having the Stargate prefix, the quick ending of Atlantis and subsequent lack of film is cause for annoyance however.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It's not even a drama. A drama is ER or some HBO shows. SGU was a melodrama like those plastic housewive shows or those teeny soaps.

Anyways, the best apology would be to step down and hand over the reins to someone who will push for a new show, push for a SG1 and SGA movie, and go against the wave of 'melodrama' integration into sci-fi.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't think its really right to expect Brad to apologize for writing SGU. If anything its the whole Atlantis situation that deserves comment, not Universe itself.

Personally speaking I have no problem with a completely different type of show having the Stargate prefix, the quick ending of Atlantis and subsequent lack of film is cause for annoyance however.

I don't think it's possible to separate SGU from the argument here. It was integral to all the problems that arose in Stargate fandom and is directly tied to the cancellation of SGA.

Even by taking SGA out of this discussion BW would still need to apologize for SGU because of how heavily flawed and insulting it is to Stargate fans. Like OM1 said about BW: "...he wrote a derivative, vapid soap opera in space, and miscast some excellent actors in the stupid show thinking that THEIR talent could somehow compensate for the awful writing and ill-conceived stories..." Clearly SGU was flawed in many, many ways and with Stargate in the name it is an insult to everything that came before it (with the possible exception of the cartoon).

I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology, but I, and all fans, deserve one.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Mainly, it's that I don't like Drama in my Stargate. However, over the years there have defiently been some dramatic moments in Stargate. Even the original movie was not anything like the series. It was Drama/Action.

I just know what they were trying to do, they were trying to pick up the BSG fans, while trying to keep the SG fans. Very delicate juggling act if you ask me. Which failed.

I mean, I guess I could say they gave it a good try. If I had to say something nice about it.

I've watched all sorts of Sci-Fi, I've watched the Battle Star stuff, Sanctuary, Eureka, Now watching FireFly, Andromeda, Star Trek TOS, Star Trek NG, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Deep Space Nine,Star Gate SG-1, Star Gate SGA,And yes I did watch some of SGU, V, X-Files, Babylon 5, Outer Limits, Knight Rider, Doctor Who, And probably a couple others I can't think of right now.

I've seen a host of movies as well, anything that has to do with Sci-Fiction I go watch it. I'm not even going to attempt to list all the Sci-Fi Movies I've seen.

Maybe it is melodrama, I don't know. I mainly just know I did not want to see a Star Gate show with Drama in it like what is in SGU. I was already not crazy about the idea of the "Lost in Space" deal, but then the drama really just ended it for me.

To be honest, now that I'm actually thinking about it. If, one half of the crew did not want to kill the other half of the crew all the time, and Vice Versa, I might have actually liked it better. If the drama was focused on an enemy outside of the crew ship, rather then amongst them selves, I might could have actually handled it.

I just did not like the fact that they could not work together, I would rather them have had alien enemies. And, Dr Rush, if he had been more vocal about the smarts that he supposedly has, and less vindictive, that could have probably helped.

I did not like the characters, or their development. They did not make me laugh like McKay, O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Or Teal'c. I did not feel like they were capable of handling them selves like Teal'c, O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, especially Ronon Dex, or Lorne, and others.

I did not feel that any of them were knowledgable in the Scientific field, or capable of developing new tech, adepting existing tech, or dealing with any type of tech in a pressured environment, like Carter, Jackson, McKay, Zelenka, or even Vala Maldoran.

I felt like they would kill each other long before the ship ran out of power, or any aliens, or anything else.

Why did we need to travel a trillion light years from home to find out humans kill each other. That is a quality of humanity I'm not proud of. And would rather not watch in a movie, or tv series.

The crew did not work well together at all, that I'm sure is the intended stroy line, but I did not like it. I would rather have had a crew that "Bound Together" and dealt with the Adversity of being stuck in such a situation. I would have liked to see more tech, aliens, space battles, rather than Mess Hall battles. It's a good thing Ronon Dex was not on that ship. He'd of likely killed them all.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I don't think it's possible to separate SGU from the argument here. It was integral to all the problems that arose in Stargate fandom and is directly tied to the cancellation of SGA.

Even by taking SGA out of this discussion BW would still need to apologize for SGU because of how heavily flawed and insulting it is to Stargate fans. Like OM1 said about BW: "...he wrote a derivative, vapid soap opera in space, and miscast some excellent actors in the stupid show thinking that THEIR talent could somehow compensate for the awful writing and ill-conceived stories..." Clearly SGU was flawed in many, many ways and with Stargate in the name it is an insult to everything that came before it (with the possible exception of the cartoon).

I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology, but I, and all fans, deserve one.

Ultimately that comes down to personal opinion. Personally speaking Universe had flaws but the overall show is pretty good, certainly nowhere an abomination. I thought it was actually better than the final couple of seasons of Atlantis, which themselves had just as many flaws and issues.

What I think is irrefutable though is that fans of Stargate Atlantis were treated badly, the show was axed by everyone involved which is just plain unfair to people who've helped it along and supported it for 5 years. To force him to come out an apologize for a show that quite a lot of people liked (Universe) takes away from the very real argument to be made here. Nobody can argue that the audience "deserved" another Stargate show that did the same kinds of things, but one can argue that they deserved an ending to a show already on the air, especially in this case because there was no barriers preventing it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ultimately that comes down to personal opinion. Personally speaking Universe had flaws but the overall show is pretty good, certainly nowhere an abomination. I thought it was actually better than the final couple of seasons of Atlantis, which themselves had just as many flaws and issues.

What I think is irrefutable though is that fans of Stargate Atlantis were treated badly, the show was axed by everyone involved which is just plain unfair to people who've helped it along and supported it for 5 years. To force him to come out an apologize for a show that quite a lot of people liked (Universe) takes away from the very real argument to be made here. Nobody can argue that the audience "deserved" another Stargate show that did the same kinds of things, but one can argue that they deserved an ending to a show already on the air, especially in this case because there was no barriers preventing it.

I don't think Brad needs to apologise for SGU per se, but he should apologise for how he got SGU on the air.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Hmmm... somehow I don't think you 2 are going to agree on this one. :lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I think Brad needs to apologize to the Stargate and SGA fans for how he has treated them and demenaed them. he had a perfect right to make a horrible show, just not one to get pissie when the "old" stargate fans have the good sense NOT to like it!:eek:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think Brad needs to apologize to the Stargate and SGA fans for how he has treated them and demenaed them. he had a perfect right to make a horrible show, just not one to get pissie when the "old" stargate fans has the good sense NOT to like it!:eek:

Exactly!, have green (damn that feels wierd :D)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I think Brad needs to apologize to the Stargate and SGA fans for how he has treated them and demenaed them. he had a perfect right to make a horrible show, just not one to get pissie when the "old" stargate fans have the good sense NOT to like it!:eek:

I know we don't agree with eachother about SGU, but I completely agree with you when it comes to this. Have some green. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Just stop dear, this thread is not in flame hell, lets keep it that way shall we........:rotflmao:

oh if you insist! you did join GW after I was banned didn't you?