Just how many bridges did TPTB burn when they made Stargate Universe?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
oh if you insist! you did join GW after I was banned didn't you?

Nope, Joined GW same day I joined up at SGUS, back in the nabble days, but I had a different screen-name for nabble.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I know we don't agree with eachother about SGU, but I completely agree with you when it comes to this. Have some green. :D

thank you

@gatefan- whisper it to me...I think I remember it! :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I think Brad needs to apologize to the Stargate and SGA fans for how he has treated them and demenaed them. he had a perfect right to make a horrible show, just not one to get pissie when the "old" stargate fans have the good sense NOT to like it!:eek:

Just stop dear, this thread is not in flame hell, lets keep it that way shall we........:rotflmao:

Yes, and yes! :beckettu:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
thank you

@gatefan- whisper it to me...I think I remember it! :)

Ha, just say it if you know, I'll tell you if you are right. I didn't really write that much back then though.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
I'm sorry, what is green again? I must have either missed it or forgotten.

Ultimately that comes down to personal opinion. Personally speaking Universe had flaws but the overall show is pretty good, certainly nowhere an abomination. I thought it was actually better than the final couple of seasons of Atlantis, which themselves had just as many flaws and issues.

I can discern from reading this that we could possibly have different views on some of this stuff.

But, if I may be allowed to attempt in pointing something out?

I would not say SGU is an abomination. Just because I don't personally like it. I mean it sort of is to me personally, but not to everyone else in the world. Or, even all the other fans. I'm well aware that people possibly lots of people loved SGU as much as I loved SGA. Which is understandable, and is quite logical.

What I would like to point out though is this: I do think SGU probably did have some better writing, and story in it, then SGA...that is as far as the base story line goes. As far as the Scripting, and the characters go though, I firmly believe the actors in SGA were far more entertaining to me.

I will admit the shows in SGA were becoming sort of crappy as far as individual show story. Which in making that point, points out something else. The shows in SGA were not all tied together like they were in SGU. That is, for the most part anyway. Most of them were stand alone shows. With SGU you really need to watch the previous shows to know what was going on...more like how soaps run.

So, just to recap:

I thought SGA was better than SGU because of the Actors, and the entertainment they provided. The scripting was great. They were always energetic most of the time smiling, jovial even, prudent, admirable, and honorable.

However, the story may have been stupid at times, the characters were very likable to me, and strong.

In SGU, the story was indeed better. But the characters were very pessimistic, Vindictive, dishonorable, unreliable, rarely said things that made me laugh, depressive, and reclusive.

So that is why I liked SGA better.

SGA could have the stupidest story in a show possible, they could be fighting a massive cheese ball that comes to steal all the four leaf clovers, and I'd still like it more than SGU,

Because I liked Watching Ronon Dex, Rodney McKay, John Sheppard, Teyla Emmagan, and Radek Zelanka

More than Rush, Eli, Lt. Scott, Clohe, Col. Young, and MSG Greer or any of the rest of them.

While these may have been super duper cool characters to other people, they were super duper crappy to me and I flat out did not like them...The characters is really what made me not like the show. I could not get into a point where I really liked any of them.

I was sort of liking Col. Young a little till he goes and does that crap to Rush, even though Rush is a hated character in my book, still His is a freaking Col, and should not be doing something like that. That pretty much ruined all respect I had for the only character I was half way liking in the whole show.

I did not like the scientist counter parts, cause they were not doing anything productive, and if they were supposed to be smart, the certainly did not at like it.

If Lt Scott wasn't humping every chick on the ship like an old beagle dog on a sofa, I might could have had a little respect for him too.

And Chloe, was just too much of a freaking drama queen for me to even think about liking her.

And, yes I'm a guy. So as far as the hot chicks went...I did think 2nd Lt James had some big brests.

Eli, was the only one that said things that made me laugh, however he was a dumb genius. He is just a math boy. Not a ship engineer. Or a physics expert.

So, yeah, the characters just did not provide enough of what I personally wanted to see to keep me interested in the show.

Too much tension. Like there was in the BSG reboot.

Oh, and almost for got, I totally can't stand Lou Diamond Phillips. Just looking at him makes me cringe.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Green is reputation points at the bottom of each post (like say, this one.......) is a little badge icon, click on that one now and a little box will pop up, say you like my explanation of what green is, and I get rep points. See, easy!!

(yes I am joking about doing that right now)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know we won't agree here and I'm fine with that, but...

Ultimately that comes down to personal opinion. Personally speaking Universe had flaws but the overall show is pretty good, certainly nowhere an abomination. I thought it was actually better than the final couple of seasons of Atlantis, which themselves had just as many flaws and issues.

I don't agree that SGU was "pretty good" but I won't be vehement in my disagreement with you here. I do think it's important to point out that Atlantis may have had flaws and issues (in whatever season) but the premise and concept was not flawed the way the premise and concept of SGU was. Yes, stranding people millions (billions) of light years away, which was the initial concept of SGA, has been done before, but this only makes that premise derivative, not flawed. So even though flaws may have developed over the seasons SGA wasn't flawed from the start, unlike SGU. I don't think either of us is interested in going tit for tat with a list of "flaws" here, so let's just disagree on this one.

What I think is irrefutable though is that fans of Stargate Atlantis were treated badly, the show was axed by everyone involved which is just plain unfair to people who've helped it along and supported it for 5 years. To force him to come out an apologize for a show that quite a lot of people liked (Universe) takes away from the very real argument to be made here. Nobody can argue that the audience "deserved" another Stargate show that did the same kinds of things, but one can argue that they deserved an ending to a show already on the air, especially in this case because there was no barriers preventing it.

Again, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'd say BW needs to apologize for both issues: canceling (and lying about) SGA and also for developing a flawed and crappy show, SGU. Yes, I know you find value in SGU so I don't expect you to agree with me here, but just because you like the show that doesn't mean that I don't have a right to be offended by it. The reasons why I consider SGU to be blatant, insulting effrontery from BW have been listed ad nauseum on this site and I really don't feel a need to repeat them all here. Suffice to say I believe there are sufficient, logical reasons why BW owes Stargate fans an apology for killing SGA and for creating SGU. (and keep in mind I never said he should be "forced" to apologize so I'm not sure why you used that term :confused:)

Now I'm sure several people reading this are relieved that it didn't devolve into a cyber cat fight, and conversely I'm sure several people are bummed out that it didn't devolve into a cyber cat fight. But, in the immortal words of a Rolling Stones song: "You can't always get what you want". ;)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I simply used the term 'forced' since I think its unlikely he'd want to do it. But yeh I think we can agree to disagree here, I guess I can see why someone might think a show is so bad someone should apologize (for example Enterprise saw that kind of criticism).

@ Copenhagen - I can understand your point of view completely. If Atlantis didn't have some great characters I don't think any of us would have been watching it through some of the worst periods on the show. To some extent I can agree with you about Universe as well. Way too many of the characters just aren't compelling which, for a character based show, is a major flaw.

B

Backstep

I'm sorry, what is green again? I must have either missed it or forgotten.

I can discern from reading this that we could possibly have different views on some of this stuff.

But, if I may be allowed to attempt in pointing something out?

I would not say SGU is an abomination. Just because I don't personally like it. I mean it sort of is to me personally, but not to everyone else in the world. Or, even all the other fans. I'm well aware that people possibly lots of people loved SGU as much as I loved SGA. Which is understandable, and is quite logical.

What I would like to point out though is this: I do think SGU probably did have some better writing, and story in it, then SGA...that is as far as the base story line goes. As far as the Scripting, and the characters go though, I firmly believe the actors in SGA were far more entertaining to me.

I will admit the shows in SGA were becoming sort of crappy as far as individual show story. Which in making that point, points out something else. The shows in SGA were not all tied together like they were in SGU. That is, for the most part anyway. Most of them were stand alone shows. With SGU you really need to watch the previous shows to know what was going on...more like how soaps run.

So, just to recap:

I thought SGA was better than SGU because of the Actors, and the entertainment they provided. The scripting was great. They were always energetic most of the time smiling, jovial even, prudent, admirable, and honorable.

However, the story may have been stupid at times, the characters were very likable to me, and strong.

In SGU, the story was indeed better. But the characters were very pessimistic, Vindictive, dishonorable, unreliable, rarely said things that made me laugh, depressive, and reclusive.

So that is why I liked SGA better.

SGA could have the stupidest story in a show possible, they could be fighting a massive cheese ball that comes to steal all the four leaf clovers, and I'd still like it more than SGU,

Because I liked Watching Ronon Dex, Rodney McKay, John Sheppard, Teyla Emmagan, and Radek Zelanka

More than Rush, Eli, Lt. Scott, Clohe, Col. Young, and MSG Greer or any of the rest of them.

While these may have been super duper cool characters to other people, they were super duper crappy to me and I flat out did not like them...The characters is really what made me not like the show. I could not get into a point where I really liked any of them.

I was sort of liking Col. Young a little till he goes and does that crap to Rush, even though Rush is a hated character in my book, still His is a freaking Col, and should not be doing something like that. That pretty much ruined all respect I had for the only character I was half way liking in the whole show.

I did not like the scientist counter parts, cause they were not doing anything productive, and if they were supposed to be smart, the certainly did not at like it.

If Lt Scott wasn't humping every chick on the ship like an old beagle dog on a sofa, I might could have had a little respect for him too.

And Chloe, was just too much of a freaking drama queen for me to even think about liking her.

And, yes I'm a guy. So as far as the hot chicks went...I did think 2nd Lt James had some big brests.

Eli, was the only one that said things that made me laugh, however he was a dumb genius. He is just a math boy. Not a ship engineer. Or a physics expert.

So, yeah, the characters just did not provide enough of what I personally wanted to see to keep me interested in the show.

Too much tension. Like there was in the BSG reboot.

Oh, and almost for got, I totally can't stand Lou Diamond Phillips. Just looking at him makes me cringe.

I mostly agree with your post, except for the four leaf clover stealing cheese ball :icon_lol: With the NuBSG i liked the miniseries but quite watching part way through season 1, started becoming to melodramatic for me.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Right now, at Gateworld, Atlantis's Character and relationships folder has more people it than the entire SGU folder.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Right now, at Gateworld, Atlantis's Character and relationships folder has more people it than the entire SGU folder.

that is usual...even during s1 of sgpoo, atlantis was more popular at gw. :thoranime12:

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
lol

Yeah, I got it with the green now. The rep thing. I remember that the forums on Rift tried to use that system before.

That don't really concern me much. I'm never the most liked one, or the best at any online stuff, from forums to games.

No reason to break my streak now.

If I remember I might try go pass out some green...however, I'll most likely forget Because I'm ADHD, and tend to get tunnel vision on what ever I'm thinking about.

BTW...I like cheese balls, they are good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I greened you for the Cheese Balls!

lol

Yeah, I got it with the green now. The rep thing. I remember that the forums on Rift tried to use that system before.

That don't really concern me much. I'm never the most liked one, or the best at any online stuff, from forums to games.

No reason to break my streak now.

If I remember I might try go pass out some green...however, I'll most likely forget Because I'm ADHD, and tend to get tunnel vision on what ever I'm thinking about.

BTW...I like cheese balls, they are good.

That got you some green from me by itself! I love them too (and they are low carb!)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I made a good faith effort to watch SGU when it started. I mean, I'd seen SG1 from its beginnings on Showtime and thence to SciFi (before it became the Syphillis Channel), and also Stargate Atlantis. I loved the characters on both shows and knowing that I had seen stuff I loved with those two previous shows, I couldn't see how things could go wrong with SGU.

But, only 15 minutes in to watching SGU, I had to turn it off. I found it unwatchable. Subsequent "peeks" at episodes didn't help to change that first impression.

Yes, there are people out there who genuinely loved SGU, and that's cool with me, but I couldn't get invested in the show. It was just too entirely different.

I find myself agreeing with someone's post about how TPTB actually presented a completely non-Stargate idea to MGM and were shot down until the point that they loosely tacked a Stargate to the thing. I suspect they presented something along the lines of:

"Hey, what if this group of completely unrelated individuals find themselves trapped in space, on an alien spacecraft, travelling toward gawd only knows where and no one knows who they can trust??"

And MGM/SyFy said No until they added...

"Oh! And they got there via a Stargate."

MGM/SyFy: YES! Stargate...people like Stargate...

Finis.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I made a good faith effort to watch SGU when it started. I mean, I'd seen SG1 from its beginnings on Showtime and thence to SciFi (before it became the Syphillis Channel), and also Stargate Atlantis. I loved the characters on both shows and knowing that I had seen stuff I loved with those two previous shows, I couldn't see how things could go wrong with SGU.

But, only 15 minutes in to watching SGU, I had to turn it off. I found it unwatchable. Subsequent "peeks" at episodes didn't help to change that first impression.

Yes, there are people out there who genuinely loved SGU, and that's cool with me, but I couldn't get invested in the show. It was just too entirely different.

I find myself agreeing with someone's post about how TPTB actually presented a completely non-Stargate idea to MGM and were shot down until the point that they loosely tacked a Stargate to the thing. I suspect they presented something along the lines of:

"Hey, what if this group of completely unrelated individuals find themselves trapped in space, on an alien spacecraft, travelling toward gawd only knows where and no one knows who they can trust??"

And MGM/SyFy said No until they added...

"Oh! And they got there via a Stargate."

MGM/SyFy: YES! Stargate...people like Stargate...

Finis.

This is exactly why I asked someone to tweet Craig and ask if SGU was the show/movie that TPTB pitched a few weeks ago, it's the only way to know for certain. I do however think that you are spot on in your observation as well.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
This is exactly why I asked someone to tweet Craig and ask if SGU was the show/movie that TPTB pitched a few weeks ago, it's the only way to know for certain. I do however think that you are spot on in your observation as well.

Did I miss something??

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Did I miss something??

No, you picked up my poor grammatical sentance structure perfectly! :laughing:

What I meant was, when the C.E. thread was roaring, I posted asking some one to ask him via twitter weather SGU was the same show that TPTB originally pitched back in 2007(?), or if it changed in any major way.

Better my love?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
No, you picked up my poor grammatical sentance structure perfectly! :laughing:

What I meant was, when the C.E. thread was roaring, I posted asking some one to ask him via twitter weather SGU was the same show that TPTB originally pitched back in 2007(?), or if it changed in any major way.

Better my love?

Ohhhh.........oops!

did your question get asked? if not ill ask now for you.