Just how many bridges did TPTB burn when they made Stargate Universe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More bridges they burned....

I almost forgot an important one!

22-burning-bridges.jpg

Cameos (and other ties to SG-1 and SGA) - SG-1 and SGA cameos mean nothing to SGU fans.

The act of intentionally changing the appeal of the show to a more mainstream audience resulted in alienation of the original audience. The new fans of Stargate Universe generally did not watch or like SG-1 or Atlantis, therefore the appearance of characters from either of those shows means nothing to them because they do not know the characters. The fact that these cameos are even planned reveals desperation and ignorance amongst the ranks of TPTB. Dont they realize that there are very very few Stargate fans who find this show appealing? Sure, some may tune in to see their characters, but not enough to make a difference. Many of the new SGU fans will purposely NOT tune in because they are on the show. Look what happened with Daniel and Jack and Sam. The ratings for both cameo episodes were low.

Season 2 promises the appearance of McKay and Woolsey in cameos. The fans of SGU dont know anything about McKay or Woolsey, so why would they be inclined to watch because of these cameos? They will be thinking like "so what?".

Bridge burned.

Ketchupcandy

GateFans Noob
lots?

Myself included. I swore up and down when the SGA cancellation was announced and to this day, I would not watch that SGU crap, I would not buy the DVD's (I own all of SGA), and I would look forward to the day of its eventual cancelation cause you know....SGU Sucks.

So yah....probably still really bitter.

---

My land is bare of chattering folk;
the clouds are low along the ridges,
and sweet's the air with curly smoke
from all my burning bridges.
Dorothy Parker, SANCTUARY
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, HELLO, and WELCOME!

Myself included. I swore up and down when the SGA cancellation was announced and to this day, I would not watch that SGU crap, I would not buy the DVD's (I own all of SGA), and I would look forward to the day of its eventual cancelation cause you know....SGU Sucks.

So yah....probably still really bitter.

---

My land is bare of chattering folk;
the clouds are low along the ridges,
and sweet's the air with curly smoke
from all my burning bridges.
Dorothy Parker, SANCTUARY
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

WELCOME to our website! Yes. you are in good company. Many here are here because of the cancellation of Atlantis. Im here because I loved SG-1 and Atlantis and they have killed Stargate and put a soap opera in its place. All and all, SG-1 and SGA fans are the same big family. Stargate Universe is a pretender, an imposter claiming to be the long lost heir to Stargate. It cant even pass as an illegitimate child of Stargate! No resemblance at all. :facepalm:

Again, WELCOME! Things will get even more interesting when the season starts!

:welcomewagon:

GetMallozziFired

GateFans Noob
when i stopped watching

i remember when i started posting on the old sgu sucks site..i had a place to dish out my frustration, havent posted much since...i stopped watching SGU right after that stupid bar scene with chloe and man-boobs..season 1..that scene really ticked me off..had no place whatsoever on stargate..now dont get me started on that lesbo scene..now come on..is this the future of sci-fi? well some might say yes..some might say no..this crapolla is drama..some might say we have to please every frackin person out there..now wheres the tranny alien with vamp fangs??? huh mallozzi? forgot about them?

and whats with daniel jackson i read earlier on this site??? a darker dan?? changed dan? wtf... a guy doesnt change overnight you TPTB goofballs or have you forgotten to tell us the sgpoo lives on in starteks evil universe?? that would explain much!....ah anyways sorry for the crap guys..cant stand having this franchise getting flushed down the crapolla like this....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Welcome back!!!!

i remember when i started posting on the old sgu sucks site..i had a place to dish out my frustration, havent posted much since...i stopped watching SGU right after that stupid bar scene with chloe and man-boobs..season 1..that scene really ticked me off..had no place whatsoever on stargate..now dont get me started on that lesbo scene..now come on..is this the future of sci-fi? well some might say yes..some might say no..this crapolla is drama..some might say we have to please every frackin person out there..now wheres the tranny alien with vamp fangs??? huh mallozzi? forgot about them?

and whats with daniel jackson i read earlier on this site??? a darker dan?? changed dan? wtf... a guy doesnt change overnight you TPTB goofballs or have you forgotten to tell us the sgpoo lives on in starteks evil universe?? that would explain much!....ah anyways sorry for the crap guys..cant stand having this franchise getting flushed down the crapolla like this....

Yes, I remember you from before! Good to see you back here. And they definitely changed my favorite SG-1 character in a big way (Daniel). When he was in Atlantis, he was still the same Daniel he was in SG-1. But in SGU, he was a lowly field operative taking photos with a telephoto camera. Now get this...Rush is stoned to earth in Telford's body, Telford is on Destiny stoned in to Rush's body, but Rush is kidnapped by the Lucian Alliance. But Daniel is on earth with a telephoto camera talking to Jack on a radio. Its just too stupid to describe. Read the reviews in the review section to catch up.

Good to see you back here!

:welcomewagon::sgusucks:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ya know..

I was seriously tempted to cut & paste Sky's rant about "protected people" in my response, but I guess it wasn't worth doing anyway :)

I really wouldn't mind getting my posts cut up so much if Sky had the goddamn guts to stick to her guns and apply her scissors to both sides.

Pariah

GateFans Noob
1.) Gaming - Stargate Universe cannot be made into a game.

One of the main spinoffs from action/adventure movies and shows are games. PC games, console games, games for handhelds, etc. The only genres which can make successful games are action/exploration/adventure. You cant make a game out of General Hospital or Dawson's Creek. But Stargate made great games based on SG-1 and SGA. How do you make a game out of Stargate Universe? You cant...they killed that.
Star Trek managed to make a Voyager game of all things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why not? It wasnt a soap opera drama like SGU

Star Trek managed to make a Voyager game of all things.

Why not? It was action/adventure/science fiction. All the Star Trek series have been action/adventure/exploration/drama (in that order). Im not sure what your point was supposed to be. Stargate Universe is not science fiction, its a soap opera. :)

And WELCOME BACK!:joy:

:welcomewagon:

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Elite Force 2 was Badass!

Voyager lent itself very well to a game. What do you do as SGU's characters?

"Take on the role of Eli! Hoard the food to keep up your insulating layer of fat that will one day get the starved women of the ship willing to cuddle you for warmth! Avoid Greer and Scott's lectures, spy on James without getting caught!

Or if you rather more adventurous style, control Chloe as she walks towards the evil alien light, makes out with Scott, Rush, and potentially Eli as well! Have the life you never knew you wanted in teh ass end of the universe!"

Red Mage

Boney
Or if you rather more adventurous style, control Chloe as she walks towards the evil alien light, makes out with Scott, Rush, and potentially Eli as well! Have the life you never knew you wanted in teh ass end of the universe!"

I can see it now...

normal_sgu_111_0570_resize.jpg

normal_comiccon_trailer_049_resize.jpg

:icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hahahahahaha!

LMAO! This is the only kind of game that could make sense for this show! Except that there would not be any logical choices on the list at all. It would be like:

a) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens from left!
b) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens from right!
c) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens while laughing!
d) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens while crying!

The obvious choice which is:

e) Start running away from the hole as fast as possible and let the military handle it!

That choice would not even be available. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Stargate Magazine: A victim of Stargate Universe and Massive Fail

Stargate Magazine, officially defunct for "unexplained reasons"? Unexplained does not mean unknown. This is the cover of Issue 34 of Stargate Magazine:

stargatemagazine34cover.jpg

Because Stargate Magazine was connected intimately to TPTB, they had to tow the line of "feature Stargate Universe more prominently than the others because its what we are pushing, not because its the best!". Thing is, with the magazine as with the series, you cant MAKE people want Stargate Universe against their will. If it sucks, people wont watch it on TV or read about it in magazines. Look at that cover. Rush vs Young? Really? Sure, I will spend my hard earned money on that. All the entities which have ubmilical cords tied to TPTB of Stargate Universe will go down with this show.

22-burning-bridges.jpg

Bridge burnt. :facepalm:

Red Mage

Boney
LMAO! This is the only kind of game that could make sense for this show! Except that there would not be any logical choices on the list at all. It would be like:

a) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens from left!
b) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens from right!
c) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens while laughing!
d) Walk towards hole being drilled into hull by hostile aliens while crying!

The obvious choice which is:

e) Start running away from the hole as fast as possible and let the military handle it!

That choice would not even be available. :icon_lol:

Or it could be like those games that even if you pick one option, it doesn't matter because the same shit happens no matter what option is chosen.

You could probably choose "Start running away from the hole as fast as possible and let the military handle it!" But then the game just goes "You decided to have the common sense to run away and let Greer shoot the **** out of the aliens. However, the light is just so pretty and you stand there mesmorized by it, resulting in you getting kidnapped and molested by the aliens anyways"

View attachment 1070
Something really bothers me with this image. Notice how the Atlantis logo is blocked by Rush and Young's head... Coincidence?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yet another bridge burnt...the Stargate Canon

Almost forgot one of the more important bridges TPTB burnt with this show. The Stargate Canon is soiled permanently in this version of the franchise. All in the interest of copying the darker elements of Battlestar Galactica, the Destiny is designed differently from all the Ancient designs we have seen in SG-1 and SGA. But it looks very similar to Battlestar Galactica and even Serenity from Firefly.

22-burning-bridges.jpg

Destiny's existence makes no sense

Rush says in the begininning of this show that Destiny's design is "obviously Ancient". Really? To most Stargate fans, the design is obviously NOT Ancient. This ship was supposedly launched millions of years ago, along with seeder ships. But the show does not discuss why this ship was not mentioned in the Atlantis database (it doesnt mention the existence of Atlantis at all, for the most part). The show has had Daniel Jackson on as a cameo, and therefore he is available through the communications stones...so why hasnt he found Destiny or any of the seeder ships in any Ancient database? We know the Ancients were very concerned with interference with humans and other beings. Why would they not destroy Destiny and the seeder ships after they learned to ascend?

The Spinning Stargate and missing DHDs

Why would the Ancients build a stargate which requires moving parts in its base to operate? Also, the design of a spinning gate means that a base to spin it is REQUIRED wherever they are deployed. They dont make sense, and the fact that they require a handheld device to dial them makes no sense at all. This is one of the biggest plotholes in the show, because the purpose of the seeder ship and Destiny seems pointless. Why establish a network of gates that are short range and require a handheld device to use them? Makes no sense. The canon is soiled by this lack of logic, the same way one starts to see the signs of dementia in elderly people. The fact that this show has presented these gates and this ruins the canon.

:facepalm:

TPTB cant go back and undo season 1 and the ridiculous scenes and events we witnessed. If we are to accept Stargate Universe as Stargate canon, then that means that Eli and Chloe using the communications stones to visit a nightclub and get drunk and cry to each other in a car is part of Stargate? Does it mean that the same US Air Force which showed such decorum and professionalism in SG-1 is perfectly okay with allowing the use of top secret Ancient technology to visit earth in somebody else's body to have sex or bake cookies? This show went too far in an effort to appeal to a larger audience and they ruined the franchise with it.

Bridge burnt.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
You're dead on!

Almost forgot one of the more important bridges TPTB burnt with this show. The Stargate Canon is soiled permanently in this version of the franchise. All in the interest of copying the darker elements of Battlestar Galactica, the Destiny is designed differently from all the Ancient designs we have seen in SG-1 and SGA. But it looks very similar to Battlestar Galactica and even Serenity from Firefly.

View attachment 1072

Destiny's existence makes no sense

Rush says in the begininning of this show that Destiny's design is "obviously Ancient". Really? To most Stargate fans, the design is obviously NOT Ancient. This ship was supposedly launched millions of years ago, along with seeder ships. But the show does not discuss why this ship was not mentioned in the Atlantis database (it doesnt mention the existence of Atlantis at all, for the most part). The show has had Daniel Jackson on as a cameo, and therefore he is available through the communications stones...so why hasnt he found Destiny or any of the seeder ships in any Ancient database? We know the Ancients were very concerned with interference with humans and other beings. Why would they not destroy Destiny and the seeder ships after they learned to ascend?

The Spinning Stargate and missing DHDs

Why would the Ancients build a stargate which requires moving parts in its base to operate? Also, the design of a spinning gate means that a base to spin it is REQUIRED wherever they are deployed. They dont make sense, and the fact that they require a handheld device to dial them makes no sense at all. This is one of the biggest plotholes in the show, because the purpose of the seeder ship and Destiny seems pointless. Why establish a network of gates that are short range and require a handheld device to use them? Makes no sense. The canon is soiled by this lack of logic, the same way one starts to see the signs of dementia in elderly people. The fact that this show has presented these gates and this ruins the canon.

:facepalm:

TPTB cant go back and undo season 1 and the ridiculous scenes and events we witnessed. If we are to accept Stargate Universe as Stargate canon, then that means that Eli and Chloe using the communications stones to visit a nightclub and get drunk and cry to each other in a car is part of Stargate? Does it mean that the same US Air Force which showed such decorum and professionalism in SG-1 is perfectly okay with allowing the use of top secret Ancient technology to visit earth in somebody else's body to have sex or bake cookies? This show went too far in an effort to appeal to a larger audience and they ruined the franchise with it.

Bridge burnt.

I see this show like Stargate Infinity: I refuse to see it as canon!! :mad: