Just how many bridges did TPTB burn when they made Stargate Universe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have given this some thought over the past few months, after reading many blogs, several articles, and the thousands of posts on our website. TPTB didnt just fracture the fanbase with this show, they ruined several related aspects of the show which were part of the franchise and now are not. Some of them are listed here, and my beliefs on why these bridges were burned.

22-burning-bridges.jpg

1.) Gaming - Stargate Universe cannot be made into a game.

One of the main spinoffs from action/adventure movies and shows are games. PC games, console games, games for handhelds, etc. The only genres which can make successful games are action/exploration/adventure. You cant make a game out of General Hospital or Dawson's Creek. But Stargate made great games based on SG-1 and SGA. How do you make a game out of Stargate Universe? You cant...they killed that.

2) Conventions - Stargate Universe is a drama. They no longer belong in SciFi Cons

Stargate Universe is self-admittedly a DRAMA, which means that its characters and fans do not belong at science fiction cons. However, SG-1 and SGA will continue to be loved at scifi Cons because they are science fiction. TPTB wanted to distance themselves from SGA and the style and premise of SG-1 and the Stargate movie, so they have distanced themselves right out of the genre altogether with this show. We already see that fans do not acknowledge SGU as being part of Stargate as we know it...look at the Dragon Con. LA will be worse.

3) The "built in fanbase" - There IS a built-in fanbase for Stargate, but that does not apply to Stargate Universe because its no longer Stargate.

I have heard the term "built-in fanbase" uttered by Brian J Smith, by David Blue, by Ming-Na and even Elyse Levesque. They have been told this by TPTB and they believe that Stargate fans will actually watch anything with the Stargate name in it. That may have been their biggest mistake of all. They assumed they would be able to keep all the original Stargate fans and then change the show to appeal to the newly orphaned BSG fans, never considering that they might alienate most of the "built-in" fanbase which is the majority of about 4 to 5 million viewers. That is exactly what they have done.

4) Season One - It ruined everything which comes after.

Season One of Stargate Universe could have not been fatal. But it IS fatal because of the change to an "open ended story arc" format. If it was still the "planet of the week" format, then the failed episodes could simply be the least watched, and there would still be independence for the rest of the episodes. But like a string of older holiday lights, one bulb out means the whole string goes out. In this show, the already aired "backstory" of these characters has fleshed them out and if you dont like them, you are never going to. Season Two cant fix the show because of Season One.

The only way to put these fires out is to cancel this awful show. It cant be salvaged, it cant be fixed at all. I dont want to see anything more from these writers, I would like to see newer more creative writers or a new Stargate movie from the original writers Emmerich and Devlin. I dont trust that these writers could give us a good Atlantis or SG-1 movie, and just the thought of an SGU movie makes me laugh out loud. A movie? What would be be about? :roll:

twocents.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
great post my friend...all of the bridges are gone and hopefully soon they will be stopping production of sgpoo at "Bridge" studios! :P

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I have given this some thought over the past few months, after reading many blogs, several articles, and the thousands of posts on our website. TPTB didnt just fracture the fanbase with this show, they ruined several related aspects of the show which were part of the franchise and now are not. Some of them are listed here, and my beliefs on why these bridges were burned.

View attachment 1002

One of the main spinoffs from action/adventure movies and shows are games. PC games, console games, games for handhelds, etc. The only genres which can make successful games are action/exploration/adventure. You cant make a game out of General Hospital or Dawson's Creek. But Stargate made great games based on SG-1 and SGA. How do you make a game out of Stargate Universe? You cant...they killed that.

2) Conventions - Stargate Universe is a drama. They no longer belong in SciFi Cons

Stargate Universe is self-admittedly a DRAMA, which means that its characters and fans do not belong at science fiction cons. However, SG-1 and SGA will continue to be loved at scifi Cons because they are science fiction. TPTB wanted to distance themselves from SGA and the style and premise of SG-1 and the Stargate movie, so they have distanced themselves right out of the genre altogether with this show. We already see that fans do not acknowledge SGU as being part of Stargate as we know it...look at the Dragon Con. LA will be worse.

3) The "built in fanbase" - There IS a built-in fanbase for Stargate, but that does not apply to Stargate Universe because its no longer Stargate.

I have heard the term "built-in fanbase" uttered by Brian J Smith, by David Blue, by Ming-Na and even Elyse Levesque. They have been told this by TPTB and they believe that Stargate fans will actually watch anything with the Stargate name in it. That may have been their biggest mistake of all. They assumed they would be able to keep all the original Stargate fans and then change the show to appeal to the newly orphaned BSG fans, never considering that they might alienate most of the "built-in" fanbase which is the majority of about 4 to 5 million viewers. That is exactly what they have done.

Season One of Stargate Universe could have not been fatal. But it IS fatal because of the change to an "open ended story arc" format. If it was still the "planet of the week" format, then the failed episodes could simply be the least watched, and there would still be independence for the rest of the episodes. But like a string of older holiday lights, one bulb out means the whole string goes out. In this show, the already aired "backstory" of these characters has fleshed them out and if you dont like them, you are never going to. Season Two cant fix the show because of Season One.

The only way to put these fires out is to cancel this awful show. It cant be salvaged, it cant be fixed at all. I dont want to see anything more from these writers, I would like to see newer more creative writers or a new Stargate movie from the original writers Emmerich and Devlin. I dont trust that these writers could give us a good Atlantis or SG-1 movie, and just the thought of an SGU movie makes me laugh out loud. A movie? What would be be about? :roll:

View attachment 1003

ITA!

I would add the magazine to this. Lack of interest has cancelled the stagate magazine. if there had been a season 6 or even the two movies there would be new and interesting articles for the wider fan base. if you dislike sgu why would you buy the magazine which has nothing new about your fave characters in it?

this goes for merchandise revenue aswell as we have seen with the dvd sales and realy would anyone want to buy a figuerine of this crew????

A Nonny Mouse

GateFans Noob
ITA!

this goes for merchandise revenue aswell as we have seen with the dvd sales and realy would anyone want to buy a figuerine of this crew????

To throw darts at?! :D

Great post Overmind. Also there will be no re-building of those bridges. Firstly TPTB won't acknowledge that they are gone and secondly, once the fans are gone, they stay gone.

park8

GateFans Noob
To throw darts at?! :D

Great post Overmind. Also there will be no re-building of those bridges. Firstly TPTB won't acknowledge that they are gone and secondly, once the fans are gone, they stay gone.

I agree with this completely! This is one fan who is completely gone. I wouldn't watch an SGA movie written by Mallozzi under any circumstances now, and I will not watch the SGU ep with David Hewlett in it, as much as I love him and McKay, because I'm sure he will not even be recognizable as the character I love.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
Very good! I disagree about one point, though

Great post Overmind! I agree with all of your points except # 1 (but for a different reason). There has not been a good Stargate video game. I personally would not count Stargate: Resistance as a really good game. It's okay, but it certainly does not meet the rich potential that the franchise offers. And Stargate: Worlds will not be made, or it will not be very good when it finally is made. It is over budget and the studio making it is under bankruptcy protection. I was really looking forward to Stargate SG1: The Alliance, but that collapsed out of nowhere. MGM has done a poor job of handeling videogames for the Stargate franchise. They should not have made the first major Stargate game an MMO, which is the hardest kind of game to make, and they should not have given it to a studio that has no experience. The Stargate franchise has such rich potential for video games. The story, worlds, lore, characters, and action are all very rich and wonderful source material to make a good game. They should have given it to a better studio (like Bioware!!!). I think Bioware would make an outstanding Stargate RPG/shooter similar to Mass Effect. I would buy that in a heartbeat. With all that said, I do agree that SGU would make an awful video game, or more specifically that an SGU game could not be made.

I agree about the cons as well. I've never been to a convention, but the fans are much more interested in the SGA and SG1 actors. By mixing the SGU actors with the SG1 and SGA actors, TPTB are trying to use the popularity of the previous shows, all while they make statements bashing or "distancing" SGU from SG1 and SGA. It's very hypocritical.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, thats what inspired the title!

great post my friend...all of the bridges are gone and hopefully soon they will be stopping production of sgpoo at "Bridge" studios! :P

Thats what inspired the title of this thread! Ironic that the studios they film this show at are called "The Bridge". I imagined a burning bridge immediately and then realized that this show burned MANY bridges. Thanks for the kudos! :D

ITA!

I would add the magazine to this. Lack of interest has cancelled the stagate magazine. if there had been a season 6 or even the two movies there would be new and interesting articles for the wider fan base. if you dislike sgu why would you buy the magazine which has nothing new about your fave characters in it?

YES, the magazine was killed by this show as well. The game Stargate Worlds is dead, the Stargate Magazine is dead, and one of the main aspects of Stargate's online presence is still online, but is dying...Gateworld. SGU killed Gateworld as we knew it. I think Gateworld should start adding drama forums for Smallville, General Hospital, Dawson's Creek and All My Children to increase their ranks. After all, its not like SGU is science fiction and its not like drama fans will want to read about science fiction. :roll:

And the figurines! I forgot about those too. How many people are going to buy any figurines? They would have to make the Scott action figure anatomically correct so it can be "attached" to the female figurines at about waist level. It needs to be packaged in its own little broom closet and come with a CD of moaning sounds. :icon_e_biggrin:. Oh, and an absolute MUST is the ability for the doll to purse its lips and nod.

:cameron04:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats why these incidents keep happening at the Cons.

Good points, Overmind. In light of recent events, I especially agree with the Convention part. The SGA and SG-1 actors are really fun and playful, so they joke around a lot. SGU and these SGU actors are so serious that no one can say anything to or around them without it becoming a controversy!

Aint that the truth, buddy! The SG-1 and SGA actors loved their show and it came through clearly in SG-1 and SGA. In SGU, they are all SUPPOSED to be two faced, untrustworthy and petty. Why would fans be attracted to that or squee for the actors? What are they supposed to say? Something like: "David, it is so cool when you get rejected by Chloe every week! I love the way you get all depressed but still are devoted to her even though she is a lying two faced ho!". Or, "Brian! Can you please autograph this box of condoms? I have started having random sex with women in broom closets ever since I started watching your show! My parents dont like it, and the last girl I did it with got pregnant, but Im following your example!"

The point about SGU being dramatic (I still don't think it's earned the title of "Drama") and not sci-fi so it shouldn't be included in sci-fi conventions is a good one. SGU should be separate because that's what it set out to be, so why do they have these mixed panels that include SGU actors anyway??? Yes, there's probably the lone fan out there that likes all 3 shows and goes to the cons, but really, SGU should just be on its own and the actors should go to dramatic conventions or whatever happens for shows like SGU. Don't get me wrong, there are some actors on SGU that I'd watch if they did something else that interested me (Ming Na, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, and a couple of others), but SGU doesn't and it doesn't fit with the other shows by design so they should just have everything separate for it. That's what I think. It'll solve a lot of potential problems before they start.
EXACTLY! They need to have their own thing, or perhaps start doing Soap Cons (is there such a thing?). They do not belong at Stargate Cons or scifi cons.

TPTB can expect the same lackluster receptions for SGU at EVERY science fiction Con. The fans of science fiction are fans of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis and other science fiction shows. Stargate Universe no longer claims to be science fiction (finally), but then, why bother with scifi conventions if that is the case?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Great post Overmind! I agree with all of your points except # 1 (but for a different reason). There has not been a good Stargate video game. I personally would not count Stargate: Resistance as a really good game. It's okay, but it certainly does not meet the rich potential that the franchise offers. And Stargate: Worlds will not be made, or it will not be very good when it finally is made. It is over budget and the studio making it is under bankruptcy protection. I was really looking forward to Stargate SG1: The Alliance, but that collapsed out of nowhere. MGM has done a poor job of handeling videogames for the Stargate franchise. They should not have made the first major Stargate game an MMO, which is the hardest kind of game to make, and they should not have given it to a studio that has no experience. The Stargate franchise has such rich potential for video games. The story, worlds, lore, characters, and action are all very rich and wonderful source material to make a good game. They should have given it to a better studio (like Bioware!!!). I think Bioware would make an outstanding Stargate RPG/shooter similar to Mass Effect. I would buy that in a heartbeat. With all that said, I do agree that SGU would make an awful video game, or more specifically that an SGU game could not be made.

I agree about the cons as well. I've never been to a convention, but the fans are much more interested in the SGA and SG1 actors. By mixing the SGU actors with the SG1 and SGA actors, TPTB are trying to use the popularity of the previous shows, all while they make statements bashing or "distancing" SGU from SG1 and SGA. It's very hypocritical.

With reference to the conventions. The most annoying thing to me is that the more sgu actors are at a convention the less sga/sg1 actors will be there. This is because they have limited money and a limited time for each actor to be on stage.
Pegasus con was absolutley amazing the first 3 years I went, but when they changed it to stargate worlds an amalgamation of the three shows there were less people in attendence and although it was fun it did not have the same buzz. and stargate worlds for jan/feb 2011 isnt even being advertised on there site yet. The sgu actress due to attend pulled out and didnt attend I cant say i was sad about that.
So my rather long winded point is,when you amalgamate the three shows unless someone likes all of them it can and does put of people from spending the 80-90 pound a ticket to see say 2 out of the 6 guests attending. me being a case in point i have booked my tickets at the convention itself ready for the next year but this time i havent and have no intention of going at this point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are right, but there have been a few...

The first Stargate themed game I played was a pinball machine! It had a cool pyramid on the board with a little Goa'uld glider that came out of it. There were several Stargate games in development which were killed by struggles for the rights to use the name and concept. When Sony bought MGM way back, I believe that Stargate Alliance was in development. But fights over the rights killed it. Stargate Worlds died before birth, because as you said, developing an MMORPG for Stargate also meant developing the game servers. FAIL. Stargate Resistance may do well, and it has sold about 50,000 copies so far. But it only appeals to REAL Stargate fans and has nothing to do with SGU.

But you are right...no real great games have come from Stargate, but not because the shows or concept wouldnt make for a great game, its because of squabbling over rights. There were a few Stargate conversions made for existing games. Stargate Empire At War comes to mind...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Thats what inspired the title of this thread! Ironic that the studios they film this show at are called "The Bridge". I imagined a burning bridge immediately and then realized that this show burned MANY bridges. Thanks for the kudos! :D

YES, the magazine was killed by this show as well. The game Stargate Worlds is dead, the Stargate Magazine is dead, and one of the main aspects of Stargate's online presence is still online, but is dying...Gateworld. SGU killed Gateworld as we knew it. I think Gateworld should start adding drama forums for Smallville, General Hospital, Dawson's Creek and All My Children to increase their ranks. After all, its not like SGU is science fiction and its not like drama fans will want to read about science fiction. :roll:

And the figurines! I forgot about those too. How many people are going to buy any figurines? They would have to make the Scott action figure anatomically correct so it can be "attached" to the female figurines at about waist level. It needs to be packaged in its own little broom closet and come with a CD of moaning sounds. :icon_e_biggrin:. Oh, and an absolute MUST is the ability for the doll to purse its lips and nod.

:cameron04:

they already have one for Smallville: http://forum.gateworld.net/forums/61-Smallville :P :P

Many of the alaina huffman thunkers were fans of hers from smallville.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
Good points

The first Stargate themed game I played was a pinball machine! It had a cool pyramid on the board with a little Goa'uld glider that came out of it. There were several Stargate games in development which were killed by struggles for the rights to use the name and concept. When Sony bought MGM way back, I believe that Stargate Alliance was in development. But fights over the rights killed it. Stargate Worlds died before birth, because as you said, developing an MMORPG for Stargate also meant developing the game servers. FAIL. Stargate Resistance may do will, and it has sold about 50,000 copies so far. But it only appeals to REAL Stargate fans and has nothing to do with SGU.

But you are right...no real great games have come from Stargate, but not because the shows or concept wouldnt make for a great game, its because of squabbling over rights. There were a few Stargate conversions made for existing games. Stargate Empire At War comes to mind...

That's right! I didn't know about the pinball, but I have seen Stargate Empire At War. I do agree about Stargate: Resistance. It's modeled after Star Wars Battlefront and the Battlefield games, which are good games, so it's got some good things going for it. But I really do wish we had a story-based Stargate game rather than just a multiplayer one. Also, I agree with you that SGU doesn't fit into Stargate: Resistance at all.

It is sad that some Stargate projects have been killed because the developers argued with the publishers over who had the rights. MGM should just sell EA the Stargate license and then EA would both publish and develop the Stargate games (then there'd be no arguing over the rights). I know EA has its problems, but I'd rather give the Stargate franchise to EA (who has Bioware!) than to fucking Activision, who are the worst and evil-est video game company right now, or to an in-experienced developer like Cheyenne Mt. Entertainment.

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
Good points, Overmind. In light of recent events, I especially agree with the Convention part. The SGA and SG-1 actors are really fun and playful, so they joke around a lot. SGU and these SGU actors are so serious that no one can say anything to or around them without it becoming a controversy!

The point about SGU being dramatic (I still don't think it's earned the title of "Drama") and not sci-fi so it shouldn't be included in sci-fi conventions is a good one. SGU should be separate because that's what it set out to be, so why do they have these mixed panels that include SGU actors anyway??? Yes, there's probably the lone fan out there that likes all 3 shows and goes to the cons, but really, SGU should just be on its own and the actors should go to dramatic conventions or whatever happens for shows like SGU. Don't get me wrong, there are some actors on SGU that I'd watch if they did something else that interested me (Ming Na, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, and a couple of others), but SGU doesn't and it doesn't fit with the other shows by design so they should just have everything separate for it. That's what I think. It'll solve a lot of potential problems before they start.

The reason they don't have a separate panel for SGU is because everyone would rather go to the SG-1 and SGA panels and tptb may be forced to admit that people would rather have SG-1 and SGA than SGU. When they mix the panels they can pretend that everyone is there for SGU. It is really just so they can further their delusions that SGU is good. :rolleyes:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Speaking of games there is point and click adventure games.

However the only option would include 'use betray on man'

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
My thoughts...

One of the main spinoffs from action/adventure movies and shows are games. PC games, console games, games for handhelds, etc. The only genres which can make successful games are action/exploration/adventure. You cant make a game out of General Hospital or Dawson's Creek. But Stargate made great games based on SG-1 and SGA. How do you make a game out of Stargate Universe? You cant...they killed that."

I think I know how certain parties who would respond: "Hahaha! Games!? SGU is is'nt for people who play games, it's for mature individuals!" or some nonsense along this line :roll:

I personally wouldn't make a call on who or what belongs at a con, then again I never go to those.
But yeah "distancing": They sell it to people as a part of the Stargate franchise, then tell us not to compare SGU to it's predecessors. :facepalm:

Yeah, I think most people expected something "different", what lots of people didn't expect was for them to toss out pretty much everything that made the previous shows good as well.

I mean, wouldn't that be stupid? View attachment 1021

The only way to put these fires out is to cancel this awful show. It cant be salvaged, it cant be fixed at all. I don't want to see anything more from these writers, I would like to see newer more creative writers or a new Stargate movie from the original writers Emmerich and Devlin. I don't trust that these writers could give us a good Atlantis or SG-1 movie, and just the thought of an SGU movie makes me laugh out loud. A movie? What would be be about?

They could fix it, but to start with it would mean TPTB swallowing their pride. Something I would really be surprised to see them do at this point.

As for your title, IMHO they really started burning bridges the moment they lashed out on blogs and the like.

I think alot of people were about ready to forget about the show and just pretend it didn't exist, until Mallozzi made those arrogant remarks about how "Superior" SGU is to SG1/SGA, implying that people who preferred the previous shows only wanted "flawless people, square-jawed heroes, and stories that set up and deliver all the answers over the course of a forty-five minute episode".

Telling people to "Stop leaving nasty comments here, please" would have been one thing, but he went over the line the moment he made those other comments.

edited to add: Gezzus, I think this was my longest post ever.....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This deserves a proper response....

I think I know how certain parties who would respond: "Hahaha! Games!? SGU is is'nt for people who play games, it's for mature individuals!" or some nonsense along this line :roll:
LOL...those "certain parties" are the same ones who think that SGU makes sense and who refer to science as "technobabble" because they cannot understand it. :roll:. And in reality, the VAST majority of games are purchased and designed by mature adults with knowledge far beyond the average person. Games improve brain function. FACT:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1983306,00.htmlEDIT: Wrong link! This is the one I meant to post: http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2009/10/12/how_video_games_are_good_for_the_brain/

I personally wouldn't make a call on who or what belongs at a con, then again I never go to those.
But yeah "distancing": They sell it to people as a part of the Stargate franchise, then tell us not to compare SGU to it's predecessors. :facepalm:
Well, I would be very much disturbed if the NCIS characters showed up at a Star Trek Con, or if Harry Potter characters showed up at a Stargate Con. Conventions are, by definition, centered around SPECIFIC things and entities and are not open door events to all. But, like you said, you have never been to a Con so...

Yeah, I think most people expected something "different", what lots of people didn't expect was for them to toss out pretty much everything that made the previous shows good as well.

I mean, wouldn't that be stupid? View attachment 1021
YES! Very stupid indeed, and its already done and cant be undone.

They could fix it, but to start with it would mean TPTB swallowing their pride. Something I would really be surprised to see them do at this point.
I admire your optimism, but thats going out on a limb. In order to "fix" it, they would have to do whatever needed to the show to make it start gathering a minimum of 1.6 million viewers per week or higher. They would have to DRASTICALLY change the characters, the story, the ship, the music...anything short of that means more of the same low ratings and lackluster interest in this show. TPTB swallowing their pride will not happen. But them swallowing their failure is inevitable, and they have no choice in the matter. :) Im not sure why you think it can be fixed, given the information you have available for season 2. I respect your optimism, but I really think its misplaced.

As for your title, IMHO they really started burning bridges the moment they lashed out on blogs and the like.

I think alot of people were about ready to forget about the show and just pretend it didn't exist, until Mallozzi made those arrogant remarks about how "Superior" SGU is to SG1/SGA, implying that people who preferred the previous shows only wanted "flawless people, square-jawed heroes, and stories that set up and deliver all the answers over the course of a forty-five minute episode".

Telling people to "Stop leaving nasty comments here, please" would have been one thing, but he went over the line the moment he made those other comments.

edited to add: Gezzus, I think this was my longest post ever.....
This was a good post! But I think you should actually go deeper into this and LOOK at the show. Look at why it has failed so far, and see if they have made any changes to address its weak points. I dont see any reason to think it can change. I dont hate the show for hate's sake, I hate it because its a bad show! Its poorly conceived, poorly written, slow and boring. And unfortunately for SGU, the majority of fans feel the same way.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
With reference to the conventions. The most annoying thing to me is that the more sgu actors are at a convention the less sga/sg1 actors will be there. This is because they have limited money and a limited time for each actor to be on stage.
Thats true, but the convention companies aren't blind, they will see that SGU day is empty compared to SG1 and SGA. They'll eventually stop carrying SGU unless SGU actors do free walk ons.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree.

Thats true, but the convention companies aren't blind, they will see that SGU day is empty compared to SG1 and SGA. They'll eventually stop carrying SGU unless SGU actors do free walk ons.

I agree. Two Cons and Im sure they were both rather "empty" experiences for the SGU actors and actresses in terms of fan reaction. TPTB ignore all the backlash and negative reaction to the show, but the conventions and lack of DVD sales and low ratings cant be ignored. Positive for SG-1 and SGA, negative for SGU. Its a solid pattern and its not going to change. :)

I think that once the show is canceled, these actors in SGU will no longer be at the Cons.