First official trailer for EP 7

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I was the one who proved to you that the X Wing has 4 engines not two with the intakes being D shaped. Which the trailer confirms. And the Falcon looks the same as it did in the OT with the only exception being a new antenna to replace the one amputated by Lando's piloting inside the Death Star in RotJ. Plus considering that this film is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi to see the X Wing look a little different simply means a later model.

As to the lightsaber, the only one that gave you issues is the one designed like a broadsword. Note however that we also see a lightsaber literally identical to how they look in the OT also, so it is just that one weapon that is different not every lightsaber.

On the droid, remember we don't know what this droid is for. R2D2 and C3PO for example serve completely different functions (Astromech and Protocol). Hence their differing designs.

I prefer to look at the good points:

a) So far not too much CGI in evidence. Heavier use of practical effects which takes away the "fake" look that plagued the prequels.

b) The feel of the trailer was very Star Wars OT. Note how it focused on tonal scenes over busy ones and even the "busy" scenes did not have the Lucas issue of filling the screen up with CGI crap just for the sake of it.

c) Nothing that is "updated" seems to be goofy. And that some things will be different is to be expected as the story is jumping forward in time.

All in all it is a nice trailer. If the tone and feel of the whole film match it this could be very good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I was the one who proved to you that the X Wing has 4 engines not two with the intakes being D shaped. Which the trailer confirms. And the Falcon looks the same as it did in the OT with the only exception being a new antenna to replace the one amputated by Lando's piloting inside the Death Star in RotJ. Plus considering that this film is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi to see the X Wing look a little different simply means a later model

The Millenium Falcon has many more changes you did not notice (I have seen a bit of the new one outside of the trailer) The change to the bar thruster in the rear is visible in the trailer. Surface elements have changed on it as well...but those changes are nowhere near as dumb as the X-fighter. The intakes are D-shaped, the engines themselves are 1/4 the size of the original engines which were mounted on the fuselage of the originals. The whole faux-circular look of the X-wing engine when the wings are collapsed is purely cosmetic and makes no sense at all

As to the lightsaber, the only one that gave you issues is the one designed like a broadsword. Note however that we also see a lightsaber literally identical to how they look in the OT also, so it is just that one weapon that is different not every lightsaber.

Perhaps, but why does the dumb one with the side blades even exist? The double sword from the prequels that Maul used actually makes sense as a weapon. The new one with the little side "blades" makes no sense at all.

On the droid, remember we don't know what this droid is for. R2D2 and C3PO for example serve completely different functions (Astromech and Protocol). Hence their differing designs.

It does not matter. A ball form factor makes no sense to use on a droid doing any sort of job. And this droid is clearly not acting as a caster on a table or a chair. If other elements sprout from the ball, that would make sense.

I prefer to look at the good points:

a) So far not too much CGI in evidence. Heavier use of practical effects which takes away the "fake" look that plagued the prequels.

b) The feel of the trailer was very Star Wars OT. Note how it focused on tonal scenes over busy ones and even the "busy" scenes did not have the Lucas issue of filling the screen up with CGI crap just for the sake of it.

c) Nothing that is "updated" seems to be goofy. And that some things will be different is to be expected as the story is jumping forward in time.

All in all it is a nice trailer. If the tone and feel of the whole film match it this could be very good.

I disagree with the bolded, but lets see how it all comes together. There will be more trailers, more reveals. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not bad. I agree with all four points. And incidentally so far what we have seen complies with those points.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
" Nothing that is "updated" seems to be goofy. "

Um....I disagree:

20140721-x-wing-fluegel.jpg

Goofy and illogical. LAME:

star_wars_episode_vii_x_wing_by_christoumanian-d7sr5fo.jpg

Not lame:

28de44a9c53ad7377b7691fb3102104b.jpg

Please dont tell me how it "isnt much different". It is. A lot different. The reason for the new design is purely an ego thing, with JJ needing to pee on stuff to mark his territory.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"The" lightsaber-we can see that it will be a part of the story. The saber that Anakin used and lost to Obi Wan on Mustafar (along with most of his body) and then given to Luke who lost it when he lost his hand on cloud city, re-emerges.

A "leak" from some where states that we will see that it drifted through space and came to ground on the planet Jakko (sp?). Where Finn and the female scrapper find it.
I don't know if I like the idea of light saber as a "character" of sorts but whatever...

As for the Siths light saber--anyone can build a saber in any way they choose--however the force moves them to do it. In SW REBELS, we see the boy make his saber to resemble a staple gun. it is a standard saber but is also made to fire energy shots

there is no standard method of saber making--there is no assembly line for them. Each saber is unique much like every japanese katana is unique as the forger was inspired to create it

this is not an Abrams thing--just go to Splinter of the Minds eye (the novel commissioned by Lucas to be the basis for a second SW movie if EPIV flopped) in it, we see Luke build a light saber that has varying heights and power settings

Jakko is the planet we see in the trailer, not Tattoine. After RofTJ and Endor battle, the rebels and the empire had another major battle at Jakko--hence the crashed xwing and star destroyer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"The" lightsaber-we can see that it will be a part of the story. The saber that Anakin used and lost to Obi Wan on Mustafar (along with most of his body) and then given to Luke who lost it when he lost his hand on cloud city, re-emerges.

A "leak" from some where states that we will see that it drifted through space and came to ground on the planet Jakko (sp?). Where Finn and the female scrapper find it.
I don't know if I like the idea of light saber as a "character" of sorts but whatever...

As for the Siths light saber--anyone can build a saber in any way they choose--however the force moves them to do it. In SW REBELS, we see the boy make his saber to resemble a staple gun. it is a standard saber but is also made to fire energy shots

there is no standard method of saber making--there is no assembly line for them. Each saber is unique much like every japanese katana is unique as the forger was inspired to create it

this is not an Abrams thing--just go to Splinter of the Minds eye (the novel commissioned by Lucas to be the basis for a second SW movie if EPIV flopped) in it, we see Luke build a light saber that has varying heights and power settings

Jakko is the planet we see in the trailer, not Tattoine. After RofTJ and Endor battle, the rebels and the empire had another major battle at Jakko--hence the crashed xwing and star destroyer

Dont lose sight of the fact that the whole existence (and release of the series) of Rebels was to set up new canon for the movie. It was no accident that Rebels had non-clone Stormtroopers in the academy, or that lightsabers needed crystals and were constructed with the Force and by their owners. That is all new shit. But they needed us to see it

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh indeed. Rebels is meant in part to smooth over plot problems created by the prequels but also to set up some new foundational stuff for the films - which was necessary. I'm guessing we'll get a cliff's notes history of events between Endor and the film early in the movie or it will be in some manner pushed into the story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dont lose sight of the fact that the whole existence (and release of the series) of Rebels was to set up new canon for the movie. It was no accident that Rebels had non-clone Stormtroopers in the academy, or that lightsabers needed crystals and were constructed with the Force and by their owners. That is all new shit. But they needed us to see it

but also dont forget the line from ep 4 "you are a little short for a stormtrooper aren't you?" by Leia--implying that volunteers did indeed exist in the imperial forces having already began replacing the clones

also we knew then that Han Solo was a dropout from the Imperial flight school as a TIE pilot. Using humans to replace what clones also previously did

I don't disagree about your point on REBELS though--I think in that thread I did say that I thought it was kind of a "primer" for the new films

-------------
Also, anyone here "belong" to this FB page? I drop in from time to time to see what ppl are posting/'leaks' etc

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-wars-episode-VII/549818411710319

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember Rebels takes place before the OT. And part of it's point is to show that there are no more clone troopers.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Remember Rebels takes place before the OT. And part of it's point is to show that there are no more clone troopers.

i dunno..the blog i read awhile back was correct on clones who resisted order 66 and joining the rebellion (per the rebels season 2 trailer released today) so maybe they were also right on the point that the ONLY clones still in the imperial army at the time of ep 4 were the "vader's fist" legion
most of whom were stationed on the death star so they were gone after ep 4

i don't see how they could put this into play though unless they do it in REBELS--maybe have some imperial clones face off against CPT Rex's band and have the whole 'brother vs brother' thing going on

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The problem with that is the Troopers on board the Death Star had normal human interactions.

I'll bet the writers wish every day the stupid prequels did not exist so they would not have to write their way out of the dumb plot elements...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The problem with that is the Troopers on board the Death Star had normal human interactions.

I'll bet the writers wish every day the stupid prequels did not exist so they would not have to write their way out of the dumb plot elements...

how do you know they had "normal" human interactions?

and just what would those be anyhow? in CLONE WARS,we saw clones who married and had kids, clones who went out off duty to bars and socialized,as well as their individuality that was shown in their decorating their armor after their own inspirations

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well they had the troopers having regular discussions for one, right outside the Millennium Falcon.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

What dumb plot elements?

As much as 1-3 sucked on various levels, the clones were never one of those sucky elements.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What dumb plot elements?

As much as 1-3 sucked on various levels, the clones were never one of those sucky elements.

Meh, they kinda sucked. :biggrin:

(Personally I think they could have had a more interesting background for Boba Fett to come from.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well they had the troopers having regular discussions for one, right outside the Millennium Falcon.

there are quite a lot of banal conversations in CW's--the series--if not up front by the principal clone characters then we can see clones chatting and such in the background

surely on the same level of the SS convo outside the mill falcon

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Meh, they kinda sucked. :biggrin:

(Personally I think they could have had a more interesting background for Boba Fett to come from.)

it was Jango with the background--as soon as we saw a clone and Jango, with their appearance, we should know that Boba was part of the deal

(on the side, Disney's SW info mngt ppl have just ruled that in fact Boba did not die on Tattoine as we saw him fall into the creature-which of course opens up a lot for the appearance of Fett in the new movies and as a chance for future stand alone films where Fett is to be the main character)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The rule of thumb is that is it is not in one of the following it does not exist:

The six theatrical movies
Clone Wars series
Rebels series

Anything outside those is non canon now (thank goodness!).