First official trailer for EP 7

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes sense. At a very real level SW Rebels exists in part to try to retcon and paper over at least some of the massive damage the prequels did to the overall story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do you realise you are the kind of fan that Colbert was talking about?

Not really sure...Im reacting more viscerally.

That sort of a change in the light saber, although small, is EXTREME to me. not just the form is different but so is the function. JJ probably thought it was no big deal, and evidently the more casual Star Wars watchers are only mildly irritated. But the hardcore SW crowd seems to be up in arms and rightly so. Just that one thing tells me the tone of JJ's Star Wars...we already saw it in Star Trek. We can forget about cool ship cockpits or new ship designs in Star Wars because JJ does not do them well (he will be approving them). How about a second camera emitter port on R2D2 so that he has "eyes"? C3PO with a moving mouth? This light saber thing plus the dumb looking X-wing with the split engine are just a hint at the utter dreck that the movie will be. I saw similar little changes in Star Trek 2009 and was utterly disappointed in the movie after having seen the second one and then rewatching the first again.

People SHOULD care about these things. We are seeing the dumbing down process across the science fiction/fantasy happening right before our eyes, and only a few seem to see the cumulative effects or care about them. It bothers me that Disney allowed him to change the iconic light saber. Mostly because if they let him do that, then they let him run wild with the SW universe too, and that is bad news.

These "little tweaks" and the mentality that goes with them is the same that brought us airfoils and rear mounted wings on 4-cylinder economy cars, fake hood scoops and non-functional vents on fenders.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually there isn't that big a furor especially as no one knows if that is "the new" lightsaber or if it is just another new kind of light weapon (which we have seen before). For all we know only that character uses a light broadsword.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually there isn't that big a furor especially as no one knows if that is "the new" lightsaber or if it is just another new kind of light weapon (which we have seen before). For all we know only that character uses a light broadsword.

Why would you say that? :) There is a HUGE furor. HUUUUUGE. I have to shout over the din of hipsters screaming at their Macs in Peets when watching these teasers. You must be ignoring them or are in the company of those who dont care, cause I have not heard anyone say these changes are cool at all.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/28/7303233/please-hire-me-jj

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/28/7302383/lets-talk-about-the-new-lightsaber-ouch-hands

http://www.business2community.com/social-buzz/new-star-wars-lightsaber-angers-internet-01082551

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ar-wars-teaser-could-never-work-theyre-wrong/

B3io8fvIEAElseR.png

As anyone who's watched the Star Wars movies knows, lightsabers can cut through pretty much anything — including other lightsabers, as when Obi-Wan Kenobi sliced Darth Maul's double lightsaber in half. So the fact that the crossguard saber leaves a bit of room for an enemy lightsaber to come slicing through the emitter seems to defeat the whole point of the crossguard. And that's silly

Like the Godzilla film, I think you may be allowing your inner Star Wars fanboy give JJ a pass :)...he does not deserve one. Nobody I have talked to about this light saber says anything positive about it and it does not even look cool. It is inelegant. The single light beam sword is elegant and efficient and even looks cool when not active. The new one is just plain dumb, and is a change to dumbness like the swirly transporter effect in NuTrek. It is a BIG problem, even if you do not agree with that assessment. Because that light saber made it past the approval process, it means that other stuff did too. When JJ is involved, that is a BAD thing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I should note that I turned out to be correct on Godzilla. Whatever the pacing concerns were Godzilla's depiction in the film was perfect - that was without a doubt Godzilla.

All I am doing here is noting that some blogs and twitter arguments are not a "furor". And also that it is way premature as for all we know that weapon is unique to that character. As we saw with Darth Maul's far more radically different weapon the notion of funky light weapons has a history.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should note that I turned out to be correct on Godzilla. Whatever the pacing concerns were Godzilla's depiction in the film was perfect - that was without a doubt Godzilla.

A perfect Godzilla playing only a bit part in his own reboot is a fail. The next movie will address that part of it, but the first movie is still seen as too slowly paced, too interpersonal relationship heavy, too dominated by Aaron Taylor-Johnson. It is already history, and you can find that the majority of all reviews on the movie here AND abroad are saying this. The next one will kick ass. :) Nobody is whining about the new Godzilla himself, I absolutely love him. But the Godzilla reboot movie was meh.

All I am doing here is noting that some blogs and twitter arguments are not a "furor". And also that it is way premature as for all we know that weapon is unique to that character. As we saw with Darth Maul's far more radically different weapon the notion of funky light weapons has a history.

Im talking about the mainstream reaction. It is negative without a doubt.

How can there be a black Stormtrooper? All of the Stormtroopers are clones of Jango Fett. They are part of the now destroyed Galactic Empire. So, what is a black Stormtrooper doing in Star Wars 7? LAME LAME LAME.

What REALLY gets me is that Disney does not "get it". They have NEVER made a good science fiction film of their own. NEVER. Their first was Black Hole, and it sucked and failed at the box office. There was actually a guy screaming in the vacuum of space and you could hear him. :facepalm:

We can see this one coming, like we could see Star Trek 2009 coming (but ignored it until the second one showed it wasnt a mistake). This time, Im calling it in advance because it is OBVIOUS that it will not be up to par.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Not likely...this is JJ we are talking about here. The depth of thought behind the fils he does is completely absent. He is a superficial producer. He is NOT a thinking man. He does visual excitement and explosions and teen male titillation. Who will be randomly standing around in underwear this time? He does not do female characters well at all. Almost like he does not understand them in real life. Kahn's "unique" talents have completely changed the timeline and balance of the Federation. His blood is now a precious resource.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really I think you're overreacting here a bit.

Godzilla the character was what you said would be wrong and I turned out right - Edwards hit Goji right on the nose. We agree the film kind of dies in the middle before picking back up in the third act.

As to the black "stormtrooper" (again we're assuming Stormtrooper here when he could be anything), the whole "clone trooper" crap came in the prequels and part of what is occurring in "Star Wars Rebels" is explaining how the clone troopers were largely retired between the prequels and the OT to get to the place the OT was - Stormtroopers were obviously NOT clones.

And the light weapon is just that - one isolated scene in a teaser on an unfinished film used by one character. The teaser overall was nice, conveyed a touch of the film and the overall "feel" of everything was good.

Remember our biggest issue with Abrams directing was that he directed Star Trek like it was Star Wars. And it felt wrong as a result. The horrible writing in ST:ID came from Orci and Lindelof. Neither Orci, Lindelof nor Katzman are attached to Star Wars. But Lawrence Kasdan is. And Kathleen Kennedy still heads up Lucasfilm and is watching everything no doubt as this is their baby.

I don't "trust" Abrams per se. I just figure that we'll learn more as it gets closer and hopefully having Kasdan there for the script rewrite and screenplay write will spare us nonsense like Khan.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really I think you're overreacting here a bit.

Godzilla the character was what you said would be wrong and I turned out right - Edwards hit Goji right on the nose. We agree the film kind of dies in the middle before picking back up in the third act.

Like I said, the new Godzilla is the best ever. But the MOVIE was not. It did well at the box office, but the "entertainment factor" was just not up to snuff. Pacific Rin was above and beyond awesome. The NEXT Godzilla movie will be awesome because Gareth Edwards did not like the reaction to the first, and ATJ will most likely not be in it or even referred to...as though he never existed. That is a good thing. But I was right when I said that the movie was too slow and that there was not enough Godzilla in the film. That has proven to be the pervasive view worldwide on the film. Beyond your opinion and mine are the worldwide critical reviews and viewer reviews. They overwhelmingly support what I have said about the film.

As to the black "stormtrooper" (again we're assuming Stormtrooper here when he could be anything), the whole "clone trooper" crap came in the prequels and part of what is occurring in "Star Wars Rebels" is explaining how the clone troopers were largely retired between the prequels and the OT to get to the place the OT was - Stormtroopers were obviously NOT clones.

Why are there Stormtroopers in the film at all? They belong to the Galactic Empire. They only existed because of the Empire and the Empire is destroyed now in favor of the New Republic. It is like designing a parking lot with spaces to hitch horses or camels. There should not be any Stormtroopers at all. And if he is NOT a Stormtrooper, then why is he outfitted like one with the helmet and armor? Im just afraid you are doing what you did with Star Trek 2009 and giving JJ a pass for being a complete idiot. He is not at all anywhere near "brilliant". He just does not have enough brainpower to do Star Trek OR Star Wars correctly. But, he will create a huge blockbuster which will probably break records. :)

And the light weapon is just that - one isolated scene in a teaser on an unfinished film used by one character. The teaser overall was nice, conveyed a touch of the film and the overall "feel" of everything was good.

How about we make a gentleman's bet on that light saber design being THE design that all lightsabers have in the movie? :) I say he changed all of the light sabes for all characters using them to the new design.

Remember our biggest issue with Abrams directing was that he directed Star Trek like it was Star Wars. And it felt wrong as a result. The horrible writing in ST:ID came from Orci and Lindelof. Neither Orci, Lindelof nor Katzman are attached to Star Wars. But Lawrence Kasdan is. And Kathleen Kennedy still heads up Lucasfilm and is watching everything no doubt as this is their baby.

JJ Abrams is responsible for the final product. The team you just described are just minions charged with fleshing out Abram's design. Everything JJ has done has his obvious stamp of lameness attached to it. So far, we have seen the X-wing (LAME), the light saber (LAME), and the tiny bits of story leaked are LAME. JJ has a formula that he has repeated in everything he does:

• Identify the iconic elements of the series.
  • Highlight them by making references to them in the reboot.
  • Change them slightly (in order to mark it as his)

I don't "trust" Abrams per se. I just figure that we'll learn more as it gets closer and hopefully having Kasdan there for the script rewrite and screenplay write will spare us nonsense like Khan.

I felt that way for Star Trek 2009, then again for Into Dumbness. This time, I already know...I dont have to wait. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I called an Industry friend to vent about the new movie, and he brought up something I hadnt thought of...marketing toys! Just about everyone who has bought SW toys has the original lightsaber, the original Millenium Falcon and Stormtrooper toys. THAT is why everything is changing. Just wait until you see the Millenium Falcon :facepalm: He changed it. And I knew he would change it.

OMFG IM SO READY FOR A LOUD ANGRY RANT!

:facepalm: :icon_mad:

Shit, JJ...why not go all out?

Make C3PO have a deep voice with a Spanish accent, and give him a moving mouth.
Have R2D2 speak actual English, and add a second camera eye and a smile.
Bring back Jar Jar Binks's....SON.
Say that the Emperor did not die, and bring him and Darth Vader back through some magic.
Make the Imperial Cruisers be able to go underwater and to destroy planets (like the Death Star)
Make the Force be able to blow up stars, move entire planets or planetary systems, disappear, teleport, and zap up stuff out of thin air.

IM MAD.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not really sure...Im reacting more viscerally.

That sort of a change in the light saber, although small, is EXTREME to me. not just the form is different but so is the function. JJ probably thought it was no big deal, and evidently the more casual Star Wars watchers are only mildly irritated. But the hardcore SW crowd seems to be up in arms and rightly so. Just that one thing tells me the tone of JJ's Star Wars...we already saw it in Star Trek. We can forget about cool ship cockpits or new ship designs in Star Wars because JJ does not do them well (he will be approving them). How about a second camera emitter port on R2D2 do that he has "eyes"? C3PO with a moving mouth? This light saber thing plus the dumb looking X-wing with the split engine are just a hint at the utter dreck that the movie will be. I saw similar little changes in Star Trek 2009 and was utterly disappointed in the movie after having seen the second one and then rewatching the first again.

People SHOULD care about these things. We are seeing the dumbing down process across the science fiction/fantasy happening right before our eyes, and only a few seem to see the cumulative effects or care about them. It bothers me that Disney allowed him to change the iconic light saber. Mostly because if they let him do that, then they let him run wild with the SW universe too, and that is bad news.

These "little tweaks" and the mentality that goes with them is the same that brought us airfoils and rear mounted wings on 4-cylinder economy cars, fake hood scoops and non-functional vents on fenders.

I dont think we should get all hot and bothered about the light saber thing

Put JJ's penchant for change (in the cause of his fearing he will have no legacy otherwise) aside for a minute

The lightsaber as envisioned by Lucas was a type of multi purpose tool and weapon, its uniqueness was only limited by its creator's imaginantion and his/her flow from the force. And what crystal they used

In the book SPLINTER OF THE MIND'S EYE (written to be the go to script basis for a sequel to EP4 if it had "flopped" back in '77-it would have been the second and final film) Luke and Leia are basically on the run from Vader and others. While doing so, we get some insight into the ability of the LS--for example-on low settings, Luke's LS was a harmless flashlight type of thing. At a different setting, he used it like a lockblade knife for cutting.

Point being is that this saber we see in the trailer could be in keeping with Lucas' ideas on the instrument-

-BUT it is probably another meddling of JJ :shame:

--------------------------
-BTW, if anyone is watching REBELS,did you catch where Jarrus (the Jedi survivor of order 66) sometimes calls the LS a "power sword"? (or something otr then light saber)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I called an Industry friend to vent about the new movie, and he brought up something I hadnt thought of...marketing toys! Just about everyone who has bought SW toys has the original lightsaber, the original Millenium Falcon and Stormtrooper toys. THAT is why everything is changing. Just wait until you see the Millenium Falcon :facepalm: He changed it. And I knew he would change it.

OMFG IM SO READY FOR A LOUD ANGRY RANT!

:facepalm: :icon_mad:

Shit, JJ...why not go all out?

Make C3PO have a deep voice with a Spanish accent, and give him a moving mouth.
Have R2D2 speak actual English, and add a second camera eye and a smile.
Bring back Jar Jar Binks's....SON.
Say that the Emperor did not die, and bring him and Darth Vader back through some magic.
Make the Imperial Cruisers be able to go underwater and to destroy planets (like the Death Star)
Make the Force be able to blow up stars, move entire planets or planetary systems, disappear, teleport, and zap up stuff out of thin air.

IM MAD.

given that Palpatine was so invested in cloning it is entirely possible he had himself on ice somewhere

like we said--sw is a fantasy in a sci fi setting--so, anything could happen

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Like I said, the new Godzilla is the best ever. But the MOVIE was not. It did well at the box office, but the "entertainment factor" was just not up to snuff. Pacific Rin was above and beyond awesome. The NEXT Godzilla movie will be awesome because Gareth Edwards did not like the reaction to the first, and ATJ will most likely not be in it or even referred to...as though he never existed. That is a good thing. But I was right when I said that the movie was too slow and that there was not enough Godzilla in the film. That has proven to be the pervasive view worldwide on the film. Beyond your opinion and mine are the worldwide critical reviews and viewer reviews. They overwhelmingly support what I have said about the film.
Meh, Godzilla, not gonna bother.

Why are there Stormtroopers in the film at all? They belong to the Galactic Empire. They only existed because of the Empire and the Empire is destroyed now in favor of the New Republic. It is like designing a parking lot with spaces to hitch horses or camels. There should not be any Stormtroopers at all.
Just because the Empire is gone, that does not mean everything associated with it just vanished overnight.
And if he is NOT a Stormtrooper, then why is he outfitted like one with the helmet and armor?
Why does Boba Fett have 'Mando gear?
Because it still good, functional armour.
Im just afraid you are doing what you did with Star Trek 2009 and giving JJ a pass for being a complete idiot. He is not at all anywhere near "brilliant". He just does not have enough brainpower to do Star Trek OR Star Wars correctly. But, he will create a huge blockbuster which will probably break records. :)
..........okay...........

How about we make a gentleman's bet on that light saber design being THE design that all lightsabers have in the movie? :) I say he changed all of the light sabes for all characters using them to the new design.
I have nothing to bet, but I think it will be like Maul's lightsaber, unique to him, just like the Inquisitors one in Rebels, or Count Dooku's bent handle duelling saber.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh, Godzilla, not gonna bother.

Just because the Empire is gone, that does not mean everything associated with it just vanished overnight.

No, but in real life the defeated are vanquished in every conceivable way, sometimes even wiping every bit of evidence they ever existed. The Nazis DID disappear basically overnight, along with their uniforms, symbols, flags, and general presence. After what the Empire did, I would imagine that every bit of anything that symbolized it was stricken. Buuuut....this is fantasy, so.....

Why does Boba Fett have 'Mando gear?
Because it still good, functional armour.

Nazi helmets are good functional armor, and the German Army would not dare use them or anything that looked like them (or uniforms).

I have nothing to bet, but I think it will be like Maul's lightsaber, unique to him, just like the Inquisitors one in Rebels, or Count Dooku's bent handle duelling saber.

Gentlemen's bets do not involve money, my good man. :) Ill put a poll up.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, but in real life the defeated are vanquished in every conceivable way, sometimes even wiping every bit of evidence they ever existed. The Nazis DID disappear basically overnight, along with their uniforms, symbols, flags, and general presence. After what the Empire did, I would imagine that every bit of anything that symbolized it was stricken. Buuuut....this is fantasy, so.....

Nazi helmets are good functional armor, and the German Army would not dare use them or anything that looked like them (or uniforms).
Seriously???
You are comparing a nation on one pissy little planet to a galaxy spanning empire??
For the record, Nazism certainly has not been "wiped out", it may not be the "accepted thing" that it was in the past, but it certainly does still exist.

Gentlemen's bets do not involve money, my good man. :) Ill put a poll up.
I know. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seriously???
You are comparing a nation on one pissy little planet to a galaxy spanning empire??
For the record, Nazism certainly has not been "wiped out", it may not be the "accepted thing" that it was in the past, but it certainly does still exist.

I know. :)

Im not going to argue all of that, but in Star Wars we have a canon, no? New canon in this series is not a reboot, it is a continuation. So, things have to be properly aged and continuous. It just seems to me, in reference to the new light sabre, that the design is bling and not function. I do not see how those two hilt beams or the metal emitters protruding from the handle would be something the Jedi (or the Sith) would do. The weapon is not elegant. I am making a subjective speculation that many such "small" things will be in this movie and that collectively they will be the cinematic equivalent of a lens flare...like Star Trek is now. That's all. In fantasy like Star Wars, they can really do anything they want. If they are changing the iconic Millenium Falcon and the X-wings, then they are new. That means that we need to know how much time has passed since the events of The Return of the Jedi in order to explain the (very well done) aged look of everything in the new movie. We know why things looked that way in the original trilogy. Making the ships look that aged and not placing the timeline correctly means that there is an overlap, and that the aged look is merely another gimmick borrowed from the original films like tribbles and Gorns are thrown in NuTrek.

I guess Im just not sufficiently dulled by the media to blindly accept all of this as just a little adjustment? Im just supposed to buy my ticket and shove popcorn in my face whilst soaking it all in through glazed eyes. :moody: :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We're not going to come to a point of agreement, and a gentlemen's wager could be fun.

Me, I do not think what we saw is THE new lightsaber but rather just the weapon which that character (or their group) uses. You believe it is THE new lightsaber.

Why not make that the "wager"? Stakes I have no idea on.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Im not going to argue all of that, but in Star Wars we have a canon, no?
Indeed you have canon (Ion, Quad Laser........... :D)
New canon in this series is not a reboot, it is a continuation. So, things have to be properly aged and continuous. It just seems to me, in reference to the new light sabre, that the design is bling and not function.
Ahhh.............
No, it does not have to be a continuation, it could be a throwback. Pre Disney-fication, there were all kinds of light sabre designs, all the way back to backpack with cable units which are more like Ghostbusters proton accelerators.
You have to bear in mind here dude, the two primary exponents of the dark side are 30 years dead, any person calling on the dark side could be getting there info from thousands of year old holocrons or dark side spirits.

I do not see how those two hilt beams or the metal emitters protruding from the handle would be something the Jedi (or the Sith) would do.
A design that could inspire fear, Oh you bet I could see the sith doing it. One sideways jab with those things and someone is gonna die.

The weapon is not elegant. I am making a subjective speculation that many such "small" things will be in this movie and that collectively they will be the cinematic equivalent of a lens flare...like Star Trek is now. That's all. In fantasy like Star Wars, they can really do anything they want. If they are changing the iconic Millenium Falcon and the X-wings, then they are new. That means that we need to know how much time has passed since the events of The Return of the Jedi in order to explain the (very well done) aged look of everything in the new movie.
30 years is the figure given.
We know why things looked that way in the original trilogy. Making the ships look that aged and not placing the timeline correctly means that there is an overlap, and that the aged look is merely another gimmick borrowed from the original films like tribbles and Gorns are thrown in NuTrek.
Stuff like the Falcon should be aged to a degree, but we know Han would be constantly tinkering with it over time. A few cosmetic changes does not destroy the Falcon, or the X wings which more like than not have also had changes to them in 30 years. Hell, they could be X-wing 2's for all we know at this stage. Darth Vaders Tie fighter was unique in ANH, yet by ROTJ, tie interceptors were everywhere.
I guess Im just not sufficiently dulled by the media to blindly accept all of this as just a little adjustment? Im just supposed to buy my ticket and shove popcorn in my face whilst soaking it all in through glazed eyes. :moody: :P
I'm not going to bite on your bait.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
looks good - a black storm trooper - so the clones are all dead but they are re-using the uniforms? love the music (as always) and I bet that gal on the funky hover thingy is Leah & Han's daughter- feisty women in that family tree! :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
looks good - a black storm trooper - so the clones are all dead but they are re-using the uniforms? love the music (as always) and I bet that gal on the funky hover thingy is Leah & Han's daughter- feisty women in that family tree! :D

well, we already knew they "re-used" the uni's or at least the notion of armor (though it never seems to protect them from much does it?) from ep 4

and, this guy's armor is different--even in the brief shot we see that with the lack of the etching on the back and a black disc in its lace instead

i am guessing though that the guy isn't really a stormie but a rebel undercover

and, if you watch REBELS (I am thinking more and more that it is a semi required primer for ep 7 and any retcons other revisions) you see in the storm trooper academy (BREAKING RANKS) ep that there are more then just plain joe white humans in the ranks :