First official trailer for EP 7

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well, we already knew they "re-used" the uni's or at least the notion of armor (though it never seems to protect them from much does it?) from ep 4

and, this guy's armor is different--even in the brief shot we see that with the lack of the etching on the back and a black disc in its lace instead

i am guessing though that the guy isn't really a stormie but a rebel undercover

and, if you watch REBELS (I am thinking more and more that it is a semi required primer for ep 7 and any retcons other revisions) you see in the storm trooper academy (BREAKING RANKS) ep that there are more then just plain joe white humans in the ranks :

View attachment 30581

OMG, is Rebels about teens like those boys in your screenshot?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OMG, is Rebels about teens like those boys in your screenshot?

but to the previous point and "hub bub" over the "black stormtrooper" controversy

the screenshot from REBELS shows that black humans--and humans with blue hair apparently--are all recruited for the stormtrooper legions

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The Emperor hates aliens, he does not really care what kind of human you are, just that you are one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While it's just rumors again from a rumor site the idea in and of itself is not bad - it would completely get rid of the whole "clone trooper" nonsense the prequels inflicted on us.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not the way Lucas did it. It was a throwaway line by Obi-Wan and should have been dealt with the same way in the prequels.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
While it's just rumors again from a rumor site the idea in and of itself is not bad - it would completely get rid of the whole "clone trooper" nonsense the prequels inflicted on us.

Clone troopers were always "meant" to be Lucas canon

like JIM said-they were mentioned in the part IV script and they were "Aged out" after order 66 when they were either transferred to Vader's Fist 501 ST legion or re assigned to Coruscant as Imperial and Senatorial security forces / Coruscant home guard

These things still exist in the scrubbed canon (last i checked) and we are also told that the Clone makers (those long necked freaky aliens) had rebelled after order 66 and their cloning facilities destroyed

hence the switch to a organic human force--also, harder to program org humans then it was to program clones, easier to maintain their loyalty

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Obi Wan name dropped "clone wars" not "clone trooper". And the way the Clone Wars was realized in the prequels was horrific and led to a silly conflict (robots versus clones) where nothing ever showed any signs of harm from the war and hence the viewer winds up not caring one whit about the war or its participants.

Try this instead....

The "Clone Wars" are the name given a series of attacks on the Republic by a mysterious enemy whose armies (discovered by examination of the dead) are all clones. The Republic has to resort to mass conscription to raise armies to defend itself and those armies suffer heavy casualties, with the combination of the losses and diversion of workforce causing great economic and social disruption in the Republic, which finally bands tighter together into an Empire to defeat the clones. After the victory, with the Empire reeling from the destruction and losses an unscrupulous senator named Palpatine gets acclaimed as Emperor, with an improperly trained Jedi pupil named Darth Vader at his side he wipes out those Jedi not already fallen fighting the clone invasions.

See? Now the battles in the films mean something and there are actual stakes and it fits seamlessly into the OT.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Obi Wan name dropped "clone wars" not "clone trooper". And the way the Clone Wars was realized in the prequels was horrific and led to a silly conflict (robots versus clones) where nothing ever showed any signs of harm from the war and hence the viewer winds up not caring one whit about the war or its participants.

Try this instead....

The "Clone Wars" are the name given a series of attacks on the Republic by a mysterious enemy whose armies (discovered by examination of the dead) are all clones. The Republic has to resort to mass conscription to raise armies to defend itself and those armies suffer heavy casualties, with the combination of the losses and diversion of workforce causing great economic and social disruption in the Republic, which finally bands tighter together into an Empire to defeat the clones. After the victory, with the Empire reeling from the destruction and losses an unscrupulous senator named Palpatine gets acclaimed as Emperor, with an improperly trained Jedi pupil named Darth Vader at his side he wipes out those Jedi not already fallen fighting the clone invasions.

See? Now the battles in the films mean something and there are actual stakes and it fits seamlessly into the OT.

Wow, please don't write for SW, cause that made the prequels sound good.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Baloney, that is so far superior to the prequels it isn't even funny. It's actually somewhat realistic, gives emotional impact to the battles (having them be real people versus invaders is much better than robots versus clones - two armies of consequence free disposable soldiers) and ties much more directly into the OT.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Baloney, that is so far superior to the prequels it isn't even funny.
Yeah, it is sorta funny dude.
It's actually somewhat realistic, gives emotional impact to the battles (having them be real people versus invaders is much better than robots versus clones - two armies of consequence free disposable soldiers)
Did you ever think about WHY having two disposable sides matters to the story, or just how the "viewer" may perceive them?
The fight is a -distraction-, not a means to and end, same as Maul was, and Dooku, they are distractions. Both are easily disposable to Palpatine because his goal is not "control of the senate", but the destruction of the Jedi in retaliation for their destruction of the Sith, Galaxy spanning control is a well constructed "bonus". Palpatine would have burned the entire galaxy down to kill the Jedi.

and ties much more directly into the OT.
What do you mean by OT?
Original Timeline?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
OT is Original Trilogy.

And no having both sides being disposable doesn't matter to the "story" (in quotes because the prequels are three of the worst screenplays ever written). The effect of the disposable armies and total lack of any effects of the war being visible is the viewer winds up tuning out - there is nothing to care about. Who cares about robots fighting clones with no consequences? It's one of the big reasons the prequels were such colossal screwups.

I hatched a simple plot concept that would actually invest the viewer in the plot. It also allows Palpatine to come to power without the need for all the Jedi and the Galactic Senate to be stupid beyond belief.

All it took in the prequels was anyone in the Senate or the Jedi actually thinking for just a minute (or talking to each other for that matter) and Palpatine's plot was instantly ruined and he is exposed. It's a really bad screenwriting trope that only bad writers employ where the only reason the villain succeeds at all is the heroes are dumb.

Just a couple of the places where character stupidity is needed to drive the "plot":

- If Obi Wan tells anyone (like the Senate) about finding the clone army on Camino the whole plot collapses

- Not showing the Senate the damning video evidence from Palpatine's office in Revenge of the Sith

- Grevious just going along with an idiotic plan to put all the separatist leaders in an easy to attack location

- Dooku knew who Sidious was, but says nothing to Anakin when Palpatine says to kill him

- Anakin can't figure out Palpatine is evil - he finally has to flat out tell him

- Nute Gunray's going along over and over with Sidious when he gets nothing out of the deal

And so on and so on and so on and so on.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OT is Original Trilogy.
OK
And no having both sides being disposable doesn't matter to the "story" (in quotes because the prequels are three of the worst screenplays ever written).
I think the Kaiju storyline of movies sucks quite considerably harder, but I don't know them like you do.
But I know I am qualified to say that they are the worst screenplays ever written.

The effect of the disposable armies and total lack of any effects of the war being visible is the viewer winds up tuning out - there is nothing to care about. Who cares about robots fighting clones with no consequences? It's one of the big reasons the prequels were such colossal screwups.
There ARE results. A republic turns into a Imperial regime, and the defenders of that republic are destroyed.
No consequence eh?

I hatched a simple plot concept that would actually invest the viewer in the plot. It also allows Palpatine to come to power without the need for all the Jedi and the Galactic Senate to be stupid beyond belief.
Ahh, so you need to be inserted into the events to feel them?
All it took in the prequels was anyone in the Senate or the Jedi actually thinking for just a minute (or talking to each other for that matter) and Palpatine's plot was instantly ruined and he is exposed. It's a really bad screenwriting trope that only bad writers employ where the only reason the villain succeeds at all is the heroes are dumb.
How is it ruined?
Palpatine is not the reactionary force here, he has -planned- for everything over decades.
I'll grant it is a trope, but so what?
Just a couple of the places where character stupidity is needed to drive the "plot":

- If Obi Wan tells anyone (like the Senate) about finding the clone army on Camino the whole plot collapses
How?
- Not showing the Senate the damning video evidence from Palpatine's office in Revenge of the Sith
Who would show what video?

- Grevious just going along with an idiotic plan to put all the separatist leaders in an easy to attack location
Grevious does not care about the seperatists, he only cares for himself, and the other leaders were competition.
- Dooku knew who Sidious was, but says nothing to Anakin when Palpatine says to kill him
Dooku tried that with Obi-wan.

- Anakin can't figure out Palpatine is evil - he finally has to flat out tell him
Anakin does not know what evil is, he never has.

- Nute Gunray's going along over and over with Sidious when he gets nothing out of the deal
Except keeping his position and not getting killed off, of course.

And so on and so on and so on and so on.
Cast your gaze to some other movies, you will find the same failings.
I agree that 1-3 sucked for the most part, I jus think your "treatment" sucks just as bad.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It would be hard to find a larger example of an "idiot" plot than the prequels.

And its called being invested not inserted. Why should a battle between two groups of disposable items have any emotional impact? Why should it mean anything? When you show zero effect of the war on the Republic it robs the war itself of any emotional impact.

What is the problem with actually having the war be impactful? Having it hit the common person?

As to my short example list - all are valid.

Why didn't Dooku simply say that Palpatine was Sidious right when Palpatine told Anakin to kill him? End result, Anakin stops - Dooku captured - rats out Palpatine and game over.

Obi-Wan knew about Kamino making a clone army BEFORE the Republic voted up emergency powers. But for unknown reasons neglects to tell the Senate or the Jedi Council. Had he done so the emergency powers act is immediately undermined as the question suddenly comes up of Kamino just happening to have a complete clone army ready to go right when Palpatine needs it. How did he know about Kamino when it was wiped from the database? Again the plot needs stupidity (this time by Obi-Wan) to proceed.

Anakin had indeed been exposed to evil before - remember slavery, mom murdered? Also it took him a ridiculous amount of time to think that this person who despises the Jedi and talks on and on about the benefits of being a Sith Lord....might be a Sith Lord. Again the plot relies on idiocy to move forward.

Then there is General Grevious, who just does whatever Palpatine says no matter how stupid the command - and commands like putting all the separatist leaders in one place were extremely stupid. Plus, let's remember he was not aware of Palpatine's identity - so why not just kill him when he captured him thus winning the war? Again a character has to be dumb to advance the plot.

Likewise Nute Gunray just keeps listening to Palpatine despite never receiving anything for his efforts. And inserting a threat to his life never stated in the movie doesn't work - it has to be stated in the movie to be valid.

I haven't even gotten into Yoda's foolishness or the foolishness of the Senate or the Jedi Council.

Again I could go on and on and on and on and on. But the entire "plot" of the prequels absolutely requires utter stupidity on the part of all the characters to function.

So, what's wrong with a simple plot shift (making the clones the enemy) which offers the following advantages:

- 100% compatible with the Original Trilogy

- Gives the war emotional impact

- Allows Palpatine to come to power without requiring everyone else to be idiots in the bargain

I guess the plots of the prequels tick me off so much because with even just a little thinking those films could have been pretty nice. They had the SFX technology and except for Natalie "wood" Portman the cast was good too. Instead the scripts were rushed and poorly thought out and relied on what is to me the worst of the "tropes" - reliance on foolishness/people not speaking to advance the story.