Falling Skies season 3 discussion

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I clearly remember last season we were liking Falling Skies and saying they fixed a lot of the Season One issues. Somewhere in that forum or elsewhere here (a lot of stuff is hard to find now under Xenforo) is a thread which talks about it.
--- merged: Jun 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM ---
Here is a quote from OM from the Falling Skies S2 thread - I'll grab the link too.

Im liking Season 2 of this show MUCH better than the first season. It does require a certain level of suspension of belief, but not nearly as much as magical stones which can communicate over billions of light years. :icon_e_biggrin:. I like the flirty tension building between Hal and Maggie (blonde shooter girl who fights). I am very impressed with how they remade her character and also how they have added so much depth to Weaver's character. The mechs are done better and blend into the live action seamlessly. Before, they were obviously CGI. I like how some of the skitter footage uses REAL models like the skitter in the cage who is part of this new skitter 5th column.

All and all, they have improved the show enough to make it still entertaining. Still, it misses on the sort of adventure you got with Stargate or Star Trek. On the other hand, it is not really fair to compare them. I liked this last episode. :)
--- merged: Jun 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM ---
http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/falling-skies-season-2-preview.25818/page-3

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Off the top of my head I think we panned Season 1 and then were optimistic when Season 2 premiered and we saw that they had streamlined the show to a certain extent. It didn't take long for them to go off the rails a few times though. The "baby skitter" episode is a good example of what I mean. As it is I stopped watching the last season and only caught the very end of the finale. The new alien thing could be good or could be bad. We'll have to see.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:crying-028::rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::shep_lol::jackanime14::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::SmileyLaughingTears:
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM ---
I clearly remember last season we were liking Falling Skies and saying they fixed a lot of the Season One issues. Somewhere in that forum or elsewhere here (a lot of stuff is hard to find now under Xenforo) is a thread which talks about it.
--- merged: Jun 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM ---
Here is a quote from OM from the Falling Skies S2 thread - I'll grab the link too.

--- merged: Jun 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM ---
http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/falling-skies-season-2-preview.25818/page-3

I actually did feel that way, and I am sorta looking forward to this season. :) But I dont LOVE it, and I dont like it nearly as much as Continuum or Primeval New World (which they cancelled). I have stopped paying any attention to The Walking Dead, and I am committed to watching Defiance until it is canceled (about a year from now is my bet :)). Falling Skies can be fixed, the premise is vague but fixable, and the characters are not bad. If they can tone down the Swiss Family Robinson/Bradys in the Future thing down, they might have a chance. The boy kid will grow up fast enough to push him out of the "cutesy" category and give us more story as an active character. They could pull it off. Lets see. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:crying-028::rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::shep_lol::jackanime14::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::SmileyLaughingTears:
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM ---

I actually did feel that way, and I am sorta looking forward to this season. :) But I dont LOVE it, and I dont like it nearly as much as Continuum or Primeval New World (which they cancelled). I have stopped paying any attention to The Walking Dead, and I am committed to watching Defiance until it is canceled (about a year from now is my bet :)). Falling Skies can be fixed, the premise is vague but fixable, and the characters are not bad. If they can tone down the Swiss Family Robinson/Bradys in the Future thing down, they might have a chance. The boy kid will grow up fast enough to push him out of the "cutesy" category and give us more story as an active character. They could pull it off. Lets see. :)

I dunno, dude. Continuum sucked pretty hard last year. Continuum's premiere did seem to be headed in a bold new direction, namely the ACTUAL STORY. Alas, I fear it's nothing but bait and they'll soon switch back to Cagney & Lacey solving purse snatching crimes.

B

Backstep

Only a couple hours till the new season starts. Should I set the alarm on the TV or keep hitting the snooze every ten minutes?

Bluce Ree

Only a couple hours till the new season starts. Should I set the alarm on the TV or keep hitting the snooze every ten minutes?

- one chair
- 30 feet of rope
- toothpicks cut in half to hold open eyelids

Have someone assist with tying you to the chair and you should be good to go.

Bluce Ree

Ignoring the obvious joke I could make here (Oh I know you thought of it also). Something akin to this perhaps?

a_clockwork_orange_3.jpg

That is SO MUCH BETTER than my toothpick proposal! It's just that mine has a total cost of about $5 including the rope. :icon_lol:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have always hated the whole "alien takeover plot" scenario, so I just can't bring myself to watch this pile of crap.

Bluce Ree

I have always hated the whole "alien takeover plot" scenario, so I just can't bring myself to watch this pile of crap.

I'd be ok with the alien takeover plot it excludes whiny children and melodrama. Do far, I haven't been able to watch the season premier for more than 5 consecutive minutes without channel surfing between this and Batman Begins. All I've seen so far is yak yak and more yak yak and a smiling baby with danger music. I guess this is two parts as there's another episode coming up right now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At that this is way better than Defiance and such. For one thing, they actually explained the changes since the end of last season (and using the dialogue between the girl and the guy newly liberated from the harness was clever). The relationship drama was actually kept in context to the overall plot and even the mole was explained in a fairly logical manner.

Part two and again they are explaining stuff - now we know why they have electricity in Charleston. And they are hinting that the new alien allies may not be totally trustworthy - I liked the analogy drawn at the end about allying with Stalin.

Bluce Ree

I just watched the second episode 1/2 distracted. I saw NO action. All I remember of this episode is the kid being ragged on about his school grades.

Let me repeat that. School grades. In a sci-fi show about the human race fighting for its very survival we spent the better part of the hour on the kid's poor schooling and his relationship with his mom.

depositphotos_13559141-WTF-Letters-Abbreviation-Shocking-Surprise-Expression.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Uh Bluce, I think you need to rewatch it There was quite a bit of action including a raid and a set piece battle. They also advanced the story both in regards to the guy who is the involuntary mole and revealed more about the alien allies - and raised the question again on whether they actually ARE allies.

Also the family stuff took up all of about 6-7 minutes in the entire thing. Nowhere near half the show.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Um...what the hell did I just watch? :daniel_new004::confused:

And the whole "super freak fast-growing baby" needs to stop real fast. I am so freakin' sick of alien/human babies that grow up in 2 episodes and are super smart and super powerful, blah blah blah. :rolleye0014:

Bluce Ree

Uh Bluce, I think you need to rewatch it There was quite a bit of action including a raid and a set piece battle. They also advanced the story both in regards to the guy who is the involuntary mole and revealed more about the alien allies - and raised the question again on whether they actually ARE allies.

Also the family stuff took up all of about 6-7 minutes in the entire thing. Nowhere near half the show.

Maybe you're right but that's all that stuck. Maybe I just tuned out while watching the ep.