Falling Skies season 3 discussion

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh wow....I actually liked the premiere, and also episode 22. :confused0006: :)

I liked the way they opened with the action, how they have worked the alien rebels into the show, stabilized their base operations by having them in a secured area in Charleston, and giving them better tech to balance out the fighting. But what happened to the flying ships they had in season 1? They had them in season 2 as well. None yet seen in this season. I like that they have a way to remove the harnesses without harm. But if that is true, then why is the remaining harness tissue still being left in Ben? Why have the lame storyline with Hal in the wheelchair?

I dont like the deal with Tom being the President, and I am not keen on Pope and his gang. They seem out of place now. But the youngest son Matt has made an amazing transformation in his character and no longer comes off as the whiney little kid he started out as. Also, God Girl is normal now, with none of that overly religious stuff being portrayed in the show. Overall, I see this as an improvement, if they can keep this going forward and not get stuck in baby troubles or family squabbles. Get Hal out of the wheelchair and dump the ex-girlfriend/skitteress from the show altogether. Dump the dumb dreams and concentrate on the aliens and the fighting.

Liking this a lot better than Defiance, but its still weak.

Maybe I'll give the premiere another shot and try to pay attention. I feel like I watched a completely different show and I never switch channels, just spaced out during the two eps. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh wow....I actually liked the premiere, and also episode 22. :confused0006: :)

I liked the way they opened with the action, how they have worked the alien rebels into the show, stabilized their base operations by having them in a secured area in Charleston, and giving them better tech to balance out the fighting. But what happened to the flying ships they had in season 1? They had them in season 2 as well. None yet seen in this season. I like that they have a way to remove the harnesses without harm. But if that is true, then why is the remaining harness tissue still being left in Ben? Why have the lame storyline with Hal in the wheelchair?

I dont like the deal with Tom being the President, and I am not keen on Pope and his gang. They seem out of place now. But the youngest son Matt has made an amazing transformation in his character and no longer comes off as the whiney little kid he started out as. Also, God Girl is normal now, with none of that overly religious stuff being portrayed in the show. Overall, I see this as an improvement, if they can keep this going forward and not get stuck in baby troubles or family squabbles. Get Hal out of the wheelchair and dump the ex-girlfriend/skitteress from the show altogether. Dump the dumb dreams and concentrate on the aliens and the fighting.

Liking this a lot better than Defiance, but its still weak.

It's not great but it is orders of magnitude above Defiance. Stuff actually happens and backstory is actually explained (wow, what concepts! I guess the Defiance writers never got those memos).

I'm pretty sure they cannot pull the residual harness stuff out of Ben because it has been in too long - they said in the premiere that the tech only works if the harness has not been in past a certain length of time.

Also, Hal is out of the wheelchair as of the end of episode 2. And the whole dreams thing aren't dreams. She has an implant in him and he is linked - in fact he is the alien mole in the camp that killed the Professor in the premiere. His inability to walk for a while was a side effect of what they did to him. So actually his plotline is connected to the aliens and the fighting.

Tom as President is meh - I would have liked Wheeler there more (or if we're going for comic effect Pope). I do like that they are building a story around whether their new Volna allies are just using them - Tom acknowledged he has the same suspicions as Wheeler. I especially liked the analogy he gave about allying with Stalin and that the previews indicated that the resistance was divided on letting the Volna finish the device they are building.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not great but it is orders of magnitude above Defiance. Stuff actually happens and backstory is actually explained (wow, what concepts! I guess the Defiance writers never got those memos).

I'm pretty sure they cannot pull the residual harness stuff out of Ben because it has been in too long - they said in the premiere that the tech only works if the harness has not been in past a certain length of time.

Also, Hal is out of the wheelchair as of the end of episode 2. And the whole dreams thing aren't dreams. She has an implant in him and he is linked - in fact he is the alien mole in the camp that killed the Professor in the premiere. His inability to walk for a while was a side effect of what they did to him. So actually his plotline is connected to the aliens and the fighting.

Tom as President is meh - I would have liked Wheeler there more (or if we're going for comic effect Pope). I do like that they are building a story around whether their new Volna allies are just using them - Tom acknowledged he has the same suspicions as Wheeler. I especially liked the analogy he gave about allying with Stalin and that the previews indicated that the resistance was divided on letting the Volna finish the device they are building.

SPOILERS! :facepalm: But how do you know this? I have seen episodes 21 and 22...is 23 out?

Besides that, yeah...Tom is President? Nope, not working for me. But he is a strong character, along with Weaver. The actors and the characters have good chemistry, as does Hal with his father, and also with Margaret, who seemed lost and disconnected from the show until they started shipping her with Hal. Hal was always a strong character, and he is still strong even in the wheelchair. Great young actor. The character is well rounded and believable. But Ben is still not quite all rounded out yet. Too much leftover baggage from the harness thing. But he plays well off the female character (cant think of her name). Little Matt has grown into a ballsy young man and his whiney little boy persona has been replaced with a fast maturing and independent young man. Its amazingly better. Doc has taken a back seat in the show now that she is Mommy with Baby. To me, that move was a step backwards for the show. But Baby is evidently more than meets the eye, so that takes a lot out of it.

Overall, I have to say Im still liking Falling Skies, and I am seeing improvements. I wonder how the ratings are doing?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ask and you will receive :D

"
TNT's epic drama Falling Skies, starring Noah Wyle, opened its third season with 4.2 million viewers in Live + Same Day and ranked as basic cable's #1 scripted program for the week among adults 18-49 (1.9 million) and adults 25-54 (2.1 million). While Falling Skies' delivery of adults 18-49 was up slightly over last year's season premiere, the show garnered significant growth among the younger set, boosting its delivery of adults 18-34 (772,000) by +24%.
"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ask and you will receive :D

"
TNT's epic drama Falling Skies, starring Noah Wyle, opened its third season with 4.2 million viewers in Live + Same Day and ranked as basic cable's #1 scripted program for the week among adults 18-49 (1.9 million) and adults 25-54 (2.1 million). While Falling Skies' delivery of adults 18-49 was up slightly over last year's season premiere, the show garnered significant growth among the younger set, boosting its delivery of adults 18-34 (772,000) by +24%.
"

Not surprised to hear these. Thanks for posting this. :) Like I said, I am liking this show, and that continues from last season for je. But this season has started out strong and the right changes have been made. But somehow, the entire Pope gang and even his purpose seems to be out of place in the show now. He cant play biker tricks on the military in Charleston, and he cant exactly go it alone and expect to do any better. His whole "whine while in camp" thing isnt working. They could just have the entire gang be ambushed and massacred...have a touching mass funeral thing with the bodies being burned on pyres of straw, with an appropriate indy music track playing...it could be cool. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Can't comment, have not seen it yet. In fact I have not seen most of S2 I think because by the time it got here I was already mostly "over it" I did not mind the story, it just did not draw me in to the point I would keep up.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not surprised to hear these. Thanks for posting this. :) Like I said, I am liking this show, and that continues from last season for je. But this season has started out strong and the right changes have been made. But somehow, the entire Pope gang and even his purpose seems to be out of place in the show now. He cant play biker tricks on the military in Charleston, and he cant exactly go it alone and expect to do any better. His whole "whine while in camp" thing isnt working. They could just have the entire gang be ambushed and massacred...have a touching mass funeral thing with the bodies being burned on pyres of straw, with an appropriate indy music track playing...it could be cool. :)

:daniel_new_anime021::SmileyLaughingTears::daniel_new_anime021: It would be cool!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
SPOILERS! :facepalm: But how do you know this? I have seen episodes 21 and 22...is 23 out?

Besides that, yeah...Tom is President? Nope, not working for me. But he is a strong character, along with Weaver. The actors and the characters have good chemistry, as does Hal with his father, and also with Margaret, who seemed lost and disconnected from the show until they started shipping her with Hal. Hal was always a strong character, and he is still strong even in the wheelchair. Great young actor. The character is well rounded and believable. But Ben is still not quite all rounded out yet. Too much leftover baggage from the harness thing. But he plays well off the female character (cant think of her name). Little Matt has grown into a ballsy young man and his whiney little boy persona has been replaced with a fast maturing and independent young man. Its amazingly better. Doc has taken a back seat in the show now that she is Mommy with Baby. To me, that move was a step backwards for the show. But Baby is evidently more than meets the eye, so that takes a lot out of it.

Overall, I have to say Im still liking Falling Skies, and I am seeing improvements. I wonder how the ratings are doing?

If you are referring to Hal in the spoilers comment, remember at the end of episode 2 (the "two hour premiere" was 2 episodes) his girlfriend found him walking around in the woods. So he is out of the wheelchair. And the mole thing is pretty clear from evidence in the episode - remember Margaret found evidence earlier that he had been up and walking without the wheelchair. Also, the implant/control information was provided in episode 2 as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you are referring to Hal in the spoilers comment, remember at the end of episode 2 (the "two hour premiere" was 2 episodes) his girlfriend found him walking around in the woods. So he is out of the wheelchair. And the mole thing is pretty clear from evidence in the episode - remember Margaret found evidence earlier that he had been up and walking without the wheelchair. Also, the implant/control information was provided in episode 2 as well.

It was not confirmed that it was a dream sequence. All that they did was show mud on the shoes. Yes, he could be the mole...but you are stating these things as fact when we dont know yet. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why must every episode end with some overwrought emotional speech/tampon exchange with Tom crying??? Seriously, this show endlessly wrings out the faux emotion. Last nights episode did so over the loss of a minor, minor character, and it seems it was done only to create another forced, fake issue between Tom and Pope. It wasn't believable, not by a long shot. :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, I could simply quote my own last post in this thread to describe the new episode on Sunday night, June 30th. It was an overwrought, emotional tampon exchange between Tom and Pope. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, I could simply quote my own last post in this thread to describe the new episode on Sunday night, June 30th. It was an overwrought, emotional tampon exchange between Tom and Pope. :facepalm:

I seriously thought they might make out under that tree. :facepalm:. But it was a believable bonding scene...I thought it was well done, and it filled out Pope as far as his angst. I got sick of his asshole routine without knowing why he was the way he was. I really hate how they destroyed Anna's character (Moon Bloodgood). They took her from savvy, ballsy doctor with an attitude, and turned her into fugitive Mom with baby. :moody:. I love how they have changed little Matt...HUGE change, like night and day. Also, I like how they did the thing with the spikes removal with Ben and the girl (what is her name?). I like that they shipped Maggie and Hal, but why the mysterious behavior from Hal? Why do they keep trying to do shit to his character? They put him in the wheelchair, and had him getting visions about his ex girlfriend, and now they have him acting weird. Leave the guy alone...make those things happen to a redshirt, then kill him off.

I still like this show a lot though. :) Much improvement.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I seriously thought they might make out under that tree. :facepalm:. But it was a believable bonding scene...I thought it was well done, and it filled out Pope as far as his angst. I got sick of his asshole routine without knowing why he was the way he was. I really hate how they destroyed Anna's character (Moon Bloodgood). They took her from savvy, ballsy doctor with an attitude, and turned her into fugitive Mom with baby. :moody:. I love how they have changed little Matt...HUGE change, like night and day. Also, I like how they did the thing with the spikes removal with Ben and the girl (what is her name?). I like that they shipped Maggie and Hal, but why the mysterious behavior from Hal? Why do they keep trying to do shit to his character? They put him in the wheelchair, and had him getting visions about his ex girlfriend, and now they have him acting weird. Leave the guy alone...make those things happen to a redshirt, then kill him off.

I still like this show a lot though. :) Much improvement.

I'm just tired of them doing these terse, tense, weepy scenes with Tom over and over and over. It happens in almost every episode. :rolleyes:

And yes, the fugitive mom thing is just dumb. I don't mind the Hal thing too much but I find it irritating that they are milking it. Hopefully they will resolve that soon. I also don't get where they're going with this super smart scientist down in the hidden lab. I get it, he's neurotic and irrascible but where are they going with him?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm just tired of them doing these terse, tense, weepy scenes with Tom over and over and over. It happens in almost every episode. :rolleyes:

And yes, the fugitive mom thing is just dumb. I don't mind the Hal thing too much but I find it irritating that they are milking it. Hopefully they will resolve that soon. I also don't get where they're going with this super smart scientist down in the hidden lab. I get it, he's neurotic and irrascible but where are they going with him?

Yeah, like...where the hell did he come from? At least they did not make him a fat male teen, but they still have him in the basement. Since when did DNA tests become possible with dish soap and other household ingredients? Why are they creating this alien-human baby hybrid? Didnt we already see this in V the original TV series? What's next...a vampy female wearing Captyain Janeway's Chaotica suit as the Grand Vitara of the planet Verona? :facepalm:. Otherwise, I love this show. I love the Volm aliens...verey principled. Not sure I buy the "Im doing this for a flower" schtick.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Hal is a sleeper alien agent - he does indeed have a brain implant and they control him when he is unconscious.

And yes turning Moon Bloodgood into a fugitive who may have killed at least one person (eccentric doctor) is silly and contradicts her character.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm pretty sure Hal is a sleeper alien agent - he does indeed have a brain implant and they control him when he is unconscious.

And yes turning Moon Bloodgood into a fugitive who may have killed at least one person (eccentric doctor) is silly and contradicts her character.

Naming someone Moon Bloodgood is also silly.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well that's her real name, so I guess she would take it up with her parents.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Naming someone Moon Bloodgood is also silly.

That is traditional amongst Native Americans, assuming she is one. I have seen names like Sunset and Flower Rainwater before. I think it suits her. :)