Falling Skies season 3 discussion

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Maybe you're right but that's all that stuck. Maybe I just tuned out while watching the ep.

You missed the "super baby" that runs around real fast and speaks at 1 day old. It ran under the bed and then said "Mommy" when the chick found it under there. :rolleyes:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
You missed the "super baby" that runs around real fast and speaks at 1 day old. It ran under the bed and then said "Mommy" when the chick found it under there. :rolleyes:

No, I saw that part. I figured if I'd mentioned it I'd look like I was just nitpicking. But I did mention that the previous episode ended with that baby smiling with danger music playing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They left it unclear whether it is real or her mind playing tricks with her.

Now that I have seen both of the premiere episodes, my overall verdict is "decent". It is definitely orders of magnitude better than crud like Defiance and Arguing Dead. The good points were:

1) There actually was action and the action had good choreography and a nice, gritty feel to it.

2) The characters are still likeable and people you can actually root for.

3) They did actually advance the story, and unlike Defiance they are actually explaining the backstory. For example we are actually told why living conditions in Charleston are higher now - the Volna weaponry has caused the original aliens to pull back and fight more indirectly creating a breathing space.

4) They kept the family drama in context to the overall story instead of making the overall story serve the family drama.

5) The side story about the guy who is an involuntary alien mole is actually being handled nicely.

On the other side....

1) No need for super baby stuff if that is what they are doing.

2) Not sure I understand the notion that the original aliens have made a converted human the new overlord.

3) The original aliens not being able to just wipe out the humans still is a bit naff, although with their new allies it is FAR less silly than before.

Really the writers have done a pretty good job fixing a show that in Season 1 was dreck. It isn't a modern scifi classic but they have made it watchable.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I forgot to mention that I'm already sick of "Pope" -- and this was the season premiere.

Bluce Ree

4) They kept the family drama in context to the overall story instead of making the overall story serve the family drama.

But ... school grades ... mother-son relationship wankery ... dad's pep talk ... :(

On the other side....

1) No need for super baby stuff if that is what they are doing.

2) Not sure I understand the notion that the original aliens have made a converted human the new overlord.

3) The original aliens not being able to just wipe out the humans still is a bit naff, although with their new allies it is FAR less silly than before.

Really the writers have done a pretty good job fixing a show that in Season 1 was dreck. It isn't a modern scifi classic but they have made it watchable.

:(
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM ---
I forgot to mention that I'm already sick of "Pope" -- and this was the season premiere.

I was expecting more of a BANG for the season premiere. At least Joe was happy with it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not a freak about this show and I know chances are good that I'll probably miss much of this season as it doesn't pique my interest.

No complaints about the unexpected eye candy (my type) though. :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Bluce, the elements with the son took up only a few minutes. And by your own words you tuned out to other shows and missed a lot of bang (2 raids and a pitched battle). The family stuff did not dominate the story - it was in the background while the resistance operations and the alliance with the Volna were the items that were up in front.

We can't realistically expect that a show with women and children in family units (because it has a community of survivors as its center) will have nothing about those families in it. While we do not want The Arguing Dead where the interpersonal stuff rules the roost and the story serves it we really cannot have no interpersonal stuff either. As long as it stays in the background and the plot does not start serving it a small quantity of interpersonal stuff is okay by me.

Like I said this stuff is not a modern classic. It is pretty much popcorn scifi. But unlike the dreck they have seen calling scifi mostly this at least is watchable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bluce, the elements with the son took up only a few minutes. And by your own words you tuned out to other shows and missed a lot of bang (2 raids and a pitched battle). The family stuff did not dominate the story - it was in the background while the resistance operations and the alliance with the Volna were the items that were up in front.

We can't realistically expect that a show with women and children in family units (because it has a community of survivors as its center) will have nothing about those families in it. While we do not want The Arguing Dead where the interpersonal stuff rules the roost and the story serves it we really cannot have no interpersonal stuff either. As long as it stays in the background and the plot does not start serving it a small quantity of interpersonal stuff is okay by me.

Like I said this stuff is not a modern classic. It is pretty much popcorn scifi. But unlike the dreck they have seen calling scifi mostly this at least is watchable.

Wait...isnt he allowed to hate the show's skitter guts but you are allowed to love it? BOTH views are perfectly valid and are the fuel of a good feisty thread. :) Im about in the middle on this so far. But Im "like" leaning.

Bluce Ree

When I said I tuned out I meant I spaced out, not that I flipped the channel. I tried to remain interested but I couldn't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
When I said I tuned out I meant I spaced out, not that I flipped the channel. I tried to remain interested but I couldn't.

I'm the same way except I usually turn the channel. Like with the scene where the kid sets off the big firecracker and then gets lectured by his stepmom, that to me was boring and killed my interest so I split for somewhere else "on the dial". And then when I tuned back in they had boring evil guy "Pope" twirling his moustache and making vague, ominous statements about the bad stuff he's planning to do later on in the season -- which he does every single season only to be redeemed in the end. Um, yeah, yawn. :rolleyes:

Bluce Ree

I'm the same way except I usually turn the channel. Like with the scene where the kid sets off the big firecracker and then gets lectured by his stepmom, that to me was boring and killed my interest so I split for somewhere else "on the dial". And then when I tuned back in they had boring evil guy "Pope" twirling his moustache and making vague, ominous statements about the bad stuff he's planning to do later on in the season -- which he does every single season only to be redeemed in the end. Um, yeah, yawn. :rolleyes:

Joe is right when he suggests that perhaps we weren't fair to the premiere but these scenes were not few and far in between. The fact I spaced out DURING the episode WHILE still tuned to the channel and missed a lot of what Joe posted should speak volumes, at least in my case.

If two hours of show has 30 to 50 minutes of boring, monotonous filler, it will lose me.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Joe is right when he suggests that perhaps we weren't fair to the premiere but these scenes were not few and far in between. The fact I spaced out DURING the episode WHILE still tuned to the channel and missed a lot of what Joe posted should speak volumes, at least in my case.

If two hours of show has 30 to 50 minutes of boring, monotonous filler, it will lose me.

I can understand and even appreciate scenes that don't pique my interest as I know that not every scene or character will appeal to me. I get that a show has to be directed at appealing to a wide audience and I'm good with that. I just don't like that this show keeps banging the same old drum with the emotional crap, over and over and over. For two seasons they had Tom constantly getting emotional with his kids. It happened in every episode. Now they're continuing that same stuff with his wife and the extended family. That, to me, is boring. Same with the bad guy/good guy character of Pope. I mean, seriously, the guy is a cardboard cut out of a cliche' bad boy. He's even got the long hair, which has never been done with a bad boy before -- except for every single bad boy that has been on a soap in the last 20 years.

And don't get me going on the whole BSG rip off of cylon imagery. While getting laid the alien chick's back was glowing the same as cylon Sharon's was in BSG when she got laid.

Still, the show isn't as bad as DEFECATION, but it's not that great either.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Wait...isnt he allowed to hate the show's skitter guts but you are allowed to love it? BOTH views are perfectly valid and are the fuel of a good feisty thread. :) Im about in the middle on this so far. But Im "like" leaning.

Of course. I was just presenting the other side - not that I think it is a classic or other such. To me it is watchable popcorn type scifi.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I forgot it was on even though I started this thread. :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im confused here...what NUMBER is the first episode of Season 3? I am watching Watch TNT online to get the full episodes. I see the new rebel skitters...for the first time, and it is Episode 21. Am I watching Season 3? Or is this Season 2?

Bluce Ree

Im confused here...what NUMBER is the first episode of Season 3? I am watching Watch TNT online to get the full episodes. I see the new rebel skitters...for the first time, and it is Episode 21. Am I watching Season 3? Or is this Season 2?

Season 3 = episode 21.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 3 = episode 21.

Thanks....

Ya know, not much is missed by cutting the cable. I can watch Defiance and Falling Skies the day after cable subscribers do, and for free. On June 16th, it will be FOUR YEARS since I cut the cable/satellite. But unfortunately, they still have commercials on the online free watches. Also, are you familiar with PlayOn and PlayLater (paid)?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh wow....I actually liked the premiere, and also episode 22. :confused0006: :)

I liked the way they opened with the action, how they have worked the alien rebels into the show, stabilized their base operations by having them in a secured area in Charleston, and giving them better tech to balance out the fighting. But what happened to the flying ships they had in season 1? They had them in season 2 as well. None yet seen in this season. I like that they have a way to remove the harnesses without harm. But if that is true, then why is the remaining harness tissue still being left in Ben? Why have the lame storyline with Hal in the wheelchair?

I dont like the deal with Tom being the President, and I am not keen on Pope and his gang. They seem out of place now. But the youngest son Matt has made an amazing transformation in his character and no longer comes off as the whiney little kid he started out as. Also, God Girl is normal now, with none of that overly religious stuff being portrayed in the show. Overall, I see this as an improvement, if they can keep this going forward and not get stuck in baby troubles or family squabbles. Get Hal out of the wheelchair and dump the ex-girlfriend/skitteress from the show altogether. Dump the dumb dreams and concentrate on the aliens and the fighting.

Liking this a lot better than Defiance, but its still weak.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh wow....I actually liked the premiere, and also episode 22. :confused0006: :)

I liked the way they opened with the action, how they have worked the alien rebels into the show, stabilized their base operations by having them in a secured area in Charleston, and giving them better tech to balance out the fighting. But what happened to the flying ships they had in season 1? They had them in season 2 as well. None yet seen in this season. I like that they have a way to remove the harnesses without harm. But if that is true, then why is the remaining harness tissue still being left in Ben? Why have the lame storyline with Hal in the wheelchair?

I dont like the deal with Tom being the President, and I am not keen on Pope and his gang. They seem out of place now. But the youngest son Matt has made an amazing transformation in his character and no longer comes off as the whiney little kid he started out as. Also, God Girl is normal now, with none of that overly religious stuff being portrayed in the show. Overall, I see this as an improvement, if they can keep this going forward and not get stuck in baby troubles or family squabbles. Get Hal out of the wheelchair and dump the ex-girlfriend/skitteress from the show altogether. Dump the dumb dreams and concentrate on the aliens and the fighting.

Liking this a lot better than Defiance, but its still weak.

Exactly. :beckett_new049: