Falling Skies season 2 preview

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was having trouble with the spoiler tags again (not sure what the problem was) so I apologize for putting it in the main text of the post, but...to be honest I'm not that upset about it because it was such a stupid thing that they did in the show that it needed to be exposed. I mean really, running from aliens in a world without power and they turn the lights on in the hospital in the middle of the night????????????

They didn't even cover up the windows and/or keep everyone secured in one area that had black-out drapes. Hell, there were people walking all over the place. Are the aliens that stupid that they can't detect electro-magnetic heat signatures in a totally dark world????????

They wouldn't even need darkness for that. We have satellites that can detect the tiniest electromagnetic fluctuation from orbit, so, why wouldn't aliens with the capability for interstellar travel and all that other advanced tech they have not be able to do the same with far more efficiency? :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They wouldn't even need darkness for that. We have satellites that can detect the tiniest electromagnetic fluctuation from orbit, so, why wouldn't aliens with the capability for interstellar travel and all that other advanced tech they have not be able to do the same with far more efficiency? :D
It's ridiculous writing like this that causes me to point out the obvious flaws thereby earning myself a "negative" label by people less discerning (although how anyone can miss the obvious stupidity in a scene like that is beyond me).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Also sad to note that after one two part episode of unkempt women they're all back to being neatly coiffed - plus the intact, fully stocked hospital was over the top.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but I can only suspend my disbelief so much. When the most basic of situations is ridiculously portrayed it becomes insulting, things like cleaned and polished people and fully-stocked hospitals appearing out of the mist. Top that off with the behavior of the people who are, supposedly, running for their lives yet who seem woefully nonchalant about the whole ordeal.

It would have taken no time at all to show them blacking-out the hospital windows on the level they were using and they could have thrown in a line or two about turning off the lights (and power) to other parts of the hospital so as to keep their presence a secret. They could easily have shown the hospital prep as a background setting to one of the many many many terse, melodramatic, over wrought "family moments" they have each episode.

Yes, yes, they feigned surprise that they got the emergency generators up and running but anyone with half a brain would have known to use that time to camouflage the area. After all, they've been at this for how many months now??? Why is it so easy for me to figure this out yet an entire gaggle of high-paid Hollywood writers can't seem to do the same?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was having trouble with the spoiler tags again (not sure what the problem was) so I apologize for putting it in the main text of the post, but...to be honest I'm not that upset about it because it was such a stupid thing that they did in the show that it needed to be exposed. I mean really, running from aliens in a world without power and they turn the lights on in the hospital in the middle of the night????????????

They didn't even cover up the windows and/or keep everyone secured in one area that had black-out drapes. Hell, there were people walking all over the place. Are the aliens that stupid that they can't detect electro-magnetic heat signatures in a totally dark world????????

You MUST give the spoiler a title:

your spoiler [/spoiler ]

Bluce Ree

your spoiler [/spoiler ]
When you're giving code examples, you can wrap code within the "noparse" tag so it displays the code without interpreting it, like this:

[noparse]
YAY! This is a spoiler!!
[/noparse]

Click on "edit" to see the tags around the code. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm sorry but I can only suspend my disbelief so much. When the most basic of situations is ridiculously portrayed it becomes insulting, things like cleaned and polished people and fully-stocked hospitals appearing out of the mist. Top that off with the behavior of the people who are, supposedly, running for their lives yet who seem woefully nonchalant about the whole ordeal.

It would have taken no time at all to show them blacking-out the hospital windows on the level they were using and they could have thrown in a line or two about turning off the lights (and power) to other parts of the hospital so as to keep their presence a secret. They could easily have shown the hospital prep as a background setting to one of the many many many terse, melodramatic, over wrought "family moments" they have each episode.

Yes, yes, they feigned surprise that they got the emergency generators up and running but anyone with half a brain would have known to use that time to camouflage the area. After all, they've been at this for how many months now??? Why is it so easy for me to figure this out yet an entire gaggle of high-paid Hollywood writers can't seem to do the same?

I do like the way they have everybody dirty and grungy looking this season. Last season, they had the blonde and Pope in "biker chic" clothes, leather pants and such. And the girl with the black guy with dreads was the show's religious anchor with her obvious crucifix necklace and her repeated references to scripture. This season, no necklace and not a single religious reference. The blonde girl is developing a character beyond the kickass "shooter girl". And this year they are shipping some of the characters. Not in a hokey way, but its definitely there.

All and all, the changes they made are pretty extreme when you think about it.

Now the bad parts like the well-lighted "secret bases" and the baffling question of how the aliens have air power and neutron bombs, but a small group of humans manages to "hide" from them and move convoys at night? Maybe the aliens dont know about long range video surveillance with motion video? :facepalm:. They have nano technology like those flying nanobots, so why dont they dump like...100,000 of them on the camp and let everybody become infected? Also, this raggedy little group has brought down at least two dozen of these alien aircraft and taken out their ground bases with weapons made by using the metal from the aliens as bullets. So why wouldnt the global military forces have been able to defeat these aliens when they invaded earth? They seem to have multiple vulnerabilities.

I downloaded episode 5 last night but I am getting ready to watch it now. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When you're giving code examples, you can wrap code within the "noparse" tag so it displays the code without interpreting it, like this:

[noparse]
YAY! This is a spoiler!!
[/noparse]

Click on "edit" to see the tags around the code. :)

COOL! I never knew that. :) The CODE tags always seem to parse. :(

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

your spoiler [/spoiler ]
why???????? even when providing a title in the little popup they tend to be F'cked somehow... so WHY the need for a title at all? gateworld never needed one..

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Be careful OM, the women are not grungy anymore...:anim_35:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
why???????? even when providing a title in the little popup they tend to be F'cked somehow... so WHY the need for a title at all? gateworld never needed one..

Dunno...perhaps time to do the update? I stopped with 4.1.0 because if you recall, things got broken when we did that. Our tabbed forum home got zapped, and that was very convenient for me. I will download and apply the latest update and perhaps that will fix it, but it might break shit too. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Wait...I may be able to tweak the bbcode...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lets see....

I did not need a freakin title in the tag for this test! :)

Worked? Yes. Now to remove the "for {option}"...

Now it should just sat Spoiler and have a button to show it. :)

Worked? Yes. But there is an orphaned tag...

Now it should just be the button and the work Spoiler

Worked? YES. :shep_salute:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
great finally it works without that extra step of adding a title! about damn time!! i think ive mentioned it a GAZILLION times by now. yes i know its not a huge hurdle to do that extra step but to me its HUGE as im LAZY REALLY LAZY(you should see the extent of my customisation of the apps i use for my work, pretty uch everything has a custom shortcut or location for extra speed and pure lazyness) besides most of the time ive tried to use it with the title it doesnt work for some reason.. anyway thanks for fixing it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
great finally it works without that extra step of adding a title! about damn time!! i think ive mentioned it a GAZILLION times by now. yes i know its not a huge hurdle to do that extra step but to me its HUGE as im LAZY REALLY LAZY(you should see the extent of my customisation of the apps i use for my work, pretty uch everything has a custom shortcut or location for extra speed and pure lazyness) besides most of the time ive tried to use it with the title it doesnt work for some reason.. anyway thanks for fixing it!

You have to be loud and direct with me and it gets done faster. At least MOST things. :calm: Wasn't too hard to fix it. Sorry I didn't do it sooner!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

your spoiler [/spoiler ]
I'm sorry but I'm not Stephen Hawking, I can't square the circle. :culpability::highly_amused:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im liking Season 2 of this show MUCH better than the first season. It does require a certain level of suspension of belief, but not nearly as much as magical stones which can communicate over billions of light years. :icon_e_biggrin:. I like the flirty tension building between Hal and Maggie (blonde shooter girl who fights). I am very impressed with how they remade her character and also how they have added so much depth to Weaver's character. The mechs are done better and blend into the live action seamlessly. Before, they were obviously CGI. I like how some of the skitter footage uses REAL models like the skitter in the cage who is part of this new skitter 5th column.

All and all, they have improved the show enough to make it still entertaining. Still, it misses on the sort of adventure you got with Stargate or Star Trek. On the other hand, it is not really fair to compare them. I liked this last episode. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Im liking Season 2 of this show MUCH better than the first season. It does require a certain level of suspension of belief, but not nearly as much as magical stones which can communicate over billions of light years. :icon_e_biggrin:. I like the flirty tension building between Hal and Maggie (blonde shooter girl who fights). I am very impressed with how they remade her character and also how they have added so much depth to Weaver's character. The mechs are done better and blend into the live action seamlessly. Before, they were obviously CGI. I like how some of the skitter footage uses REAL models like the skitter in the cage who is part of this new skitter 5th column.

All and all, they have improved the show enough to make it still entertaining. Still, it misses on the sort of adventure you got with Stargate or Star Trek. On the other hand, it is not really fair to compare them. I liked this last episode. :)

As do I - remember I said it is now watchable. Before it was unbearable treacle. But things like the fully stocked intact hospital and all the women being neatly coiffed and using beauty products (some even have professional hairdos) are chuckle worthy even so.

Bluce Ree

Quick! Assemble only the most essential people for the survival of the human race.

- medical doctors - check
- scientists/botanists/biologists - check
- farmers - check
- Siegfried the hair stylist and beauty salon owner - check

Don't forget the supplies!

- food - check (limited supply)
- water - check (will have to purify on site)
- survival gear - check (one backpack per person)
- makeup and hair products - BRING IN THE TRUCKS!!