Falling Skies Ratings Discussion

S

Stonelesscutter

The reason I drive a 20 year old Mercedes is because its better made then a brand new one! People who spent over $40,000 on a brand new 2002 C-class Mercedes have most likely carted it off to the junkyard by now, and those still left on the road are squeaky, rattly wrecks. Meanwhile, my trusty 300 E-Class which is 20 years old still runs quiet, no squeaks or rattles, and the interior wood and leather is still great looking. New isnt always better. In fact, new is frequently WAY WORSE these days.

Have you seen the latest couple of Top Gear episodes? I think it was episode 3 of this season where they looked at the cheapest NEW car right now on the market in the UK and then went and compared it with available second hand cars that were on sale for the same price or slightly less. Richard got a BMW V12 and Jeremy got a Mercedes V12. Ofcourse 1 week later Jeremy's Mercedes had to be fixed for about 1200 Pounds. You should go watch those eps if you haven't done so yet. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you seen the latest couple of Top Gear episodes? I think it was episode 3 of this season where they looked at the cheapest NEW car right now on the market in the UK and then went and compared it with available second hand cars that were on sale for the same price or slightly less. Richard got a BMW V12 and Jeremy got a Mercedes V12. Ofcourse 1 week later Jeremy's Mercedes had to be fixed for about 1200 Pounds. You should go watch those eps if you haven't done so yet. ;)

I dont mean exotics. Mercedes doesnt make a mass produced V12, and BMW doesnt make a mass produced V12. The bread and butter BMW is their smallish 3-Series, and the bread and butter Mercedes is the C-Class. The middle offerings are the BMW 5-Series (v6) and the Mercedes E-Class (v6). When mine was built, the bread and butter BMW was the 3-series, and the bread and butter Mercedes was the E-class (because there was no entry level C-Class). The Mercedes W124 is considered to be the best Mercedes ever made. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ratings for 7/24:

4.068 mil
1.4 demo for 18-49

it does seem to be holding steady.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Ratings for 7/24:

4.068 mil
1.4 demo for 18-49

it does seem to be holding steady.

I am amazed that these high numbers remain steady. This show seems to make me yawn repeatedly every week.

Something just doesn't seem right here... :confused:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am amazed that these high numbers remain steady. This show seems to make me yawn repeatedly every week.

It seems like they are somehow skewing those ratings in a dirty fashion...this cant be right.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
FS is a drama with scifi, hence the numbers, SGU was a scifi with loads of drama, hence the fail, besides other things

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
FS is a drama with scifi, hence the numbers, SGU was a scifi with loads of drama, hence the fail, besides other things

Good points. I am very afraid of this trend (if it is a trend), because if it proves successful, then more clones will follow. :( NuBSG derailed scifi/action/adventure. Im still waiting for Blood and Chrome.

S

Stonelesscutter

Maybe yawning is exactly what people are looking for. :) Helping them go to sleep.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

AND it's on TNT which gets rather high ratings in general for their overall quality programming like the Closer and Rizzoli & Isles.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Holy crap! How is this boring, stupid show holding at the 4 million mark? It's mystifying. The only thing I can figure out is that there is a level of action that is maintained in every episode and the momentum is kinda, sorta kept rolling. Perhaps that's all it takes to counter the stupid story lines and unanswered questions and GIANT plot holes.

B

Backstep

With the steady high numbers, who would think there are that many people who enjoy watching paint dry and grass grow. I'll predict another drop for the next ep. 3.890 :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the last ep was MUCH better than the one before...and the promos they show always includes things from eps down the road- not just the next ep (the stinkers) so it keeps you hooked. i predict the next two eps (final ones for the "season") will score above 4.1 mil. There will finally be some action/answers.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
the last ep was MUCH better than the one before...and the promos they show always includes things from eps down the road- not just the next ep (the stinkers) so it keeps you hooked. i predict the next two eps (final ones for the "season") will score above 4.1 mil. There will finally be some action/answers.

I believe you're right. Since the season is so short there has to be people willing to hold out for answers since there are only 2 more episodes left. I mean, if 4 + million people have stuck it out for 8 boring episodes it only seems natural that they will tune in for the final 2.

I'd be curious to know if they have the 10 episodes of season 2 already filmed? I suspect they do because they probably budgeted for a full season of 20 episodes and then simply chopped it in half and called each half a season. Anyone know if that's true?

B

Backstep

I haven't watched the last few eps, based my prediction on the comments i've read on here, not many have been positive.

It will be interesting to see the numbers for the second seasons first 2 eps, see how many come back and how many just toughed out the first season.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I haven't watched the last few eps, based my prediction on the comments i've read on here, not many have been positive.

It will be interesting to see the numbers for the second seasons first 2 eps, see how many come back and how many just toughed out the first season.

That's what confuses me, I mean, I've read comments on numerous other forums and the overwhelming consensus about Failing Skies is negative. There's an actual dearth of squee drones even, which is very odd. You'd think a show doing this well would have tons of supporters countering all the negative opinions about it but there simply aren't that many.

And yeah, it will be interesting to see how many people stick with this show after the break. Maybe by then the numbers will start to make more sense.

S

Stonelesscutter

That's what confuses me, I mean, I've read comments on numerous other forums and the overwhelming consensus about Failing Skies is negative. There's an actual dearth of squee drones even, which is very odd. You'd think a show doing this well would have tons of supporters countering all the negative opinions about it but there simply aren't that many.

And yeah, it will be interesting to see how many people stick with this show after the break. Maybe by then the numbers will start to make more sense.

The squeedrones fear us coz they are aware what we did with SGU. :P That's why they keep quiet.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I assume the fans are the more casual drama fans and NOT scifi fans...it seems they would be less likely to fanatical enough to be squeedrones. It's ""okay"...disappointing thus far but with only two more eps we will watch it. (pretty bad when covert affairs has more action :P)