Falling Skies Ratings Discussion

G

Graybrew1

This is a thread to discuss the ratings and renewal/cancellation perspectives for Steven Spielberg's show "Falling Skies".
For discussions on the series in general and each episode, please refer to the Falling Skies General Discussion Thread: http://www.gatefans.net/forums/showthread.php/1935-Falling-skies

We will be waiting for word on the ratings for last night's pilot episode...

Is there guessing involved for this too? Or just discussion?
I would assume that it should be pretty high, everybody wanted to check it out. Next week I think will drop.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll try 3.75 million.

Next week will likely be only half that.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Is there guessing involved for this too? Or just discussion?
I would assume that it should be pretty high, everybody wanted to check it out. Next week I think will drop.
Just discussion. That is, unless this series becomes so big that everyone is actually following and discussing the ratings. Even Sanctuary has unfortunately turned into somewhat of a "lottery game", since many people are only guessing numbers but don't even take the time to discuss the ratings - or worse, to watch, discuss and vote on each episode. And that's not the point of our ratings predictions threads... :(

As for the ratings for the Falling Skies pilot, there has indeed been a lot of publicity for the show, which could have been counter-productive regarding sci-fi fans - or positive just for the fact that the more people know about it, the more will watch it. Another thing to consider is that the viewership number is an average over the whole extent of the episode, and if the premiere started really slow like some of our members that watched affirmed, many viewers might have given up somewhere during the episode, which in turn would affect the average.
So I'm looking forward to the ratings, but I don't expect huge numbers.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
OK, apparently I'm gonna have to eat my recent words here...

This just in from TV by the Numbers:

TNT's 'Falling Skies' Premieres to 5.9 Million Viewers, Cable's #1 Series Launch of the Year

By Robert Seidman
– June 20, 2011

Falling-Skies_Intl_Noah-Wyle-and-Drew-Roy_Ph-Ken-Woroner_29381_2372-350x233.jpg

TNT’s Falling Skies is Cable’s #1 Series Launch of the Year,
With More than 5.9 Million Viewers

Last night, the two-hour premiere of TNT’s Falling Skies staked its ground as cable’s #1 new series launch of the year. The epic saga about the aftermath of an all-out invasion by an alien military force drew more than 5.9 million viewers, according to fast national data from Nielsen Media Research. Falling Skies, which stars Noah Wyle and comes to TNT from DreamWorks Television and executive producer Steven Spielberg, also delivered more than 2.6 million adults 18-49 and 3.2 million adults 25-54.
“The enormous success of Falling Skies demonstrates what can happen when you partner with the best people in the business and give them what they need to do their very best work,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “TNT’s Falling Skies is an exciting, fascinating and often moving story made possible through the magic of DreamWorks Television, an incredibly talented cast led by Noah Wyle and the vision of one of the greatest storytellers of our time, Steven Spielberg.”
Falling Skies ratings highlights:

• The two-hour premiere of Falling Skies, sponsored by Hyundai, delivered 5,905,000 viewers, ranking it as cable’s #1 new series launch for 2011-to-date.

• Falling Skies also ranks as cable’s biggest scripted series debut since last year’s record-breaking launch of TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles (7.6 million on July 12, 2010). Falling Skies outperformed such high-profile launches as USA’s Covert Affairs (4.9 million viewers – July 13, 2010) and AMC’s The Walking Dead (5.3 million – Oct. 31, 2010).

• Among TNT’s key demos, Falling Skies averaged an outstanding 2,643,000 adults 18-49 and 3,240,000 adults 25-54. The show’s delivery of adults 25-54 makes it cable’s top series launch for the year-to-date.
This Sunday, Falling Skies will move to its regular 10 p.m. (ET/PT) timeslot, following the season premiere of TNT’s popular caper series Leverage.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ok, so all the hype delivered a big premiere. Let's see how far it crashes next week.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This show has been a long time coming and with all the hype and advertising it's not surprising so many people tuned in. Spielberg is a name with drawing power. Who wouldn't be curious to see what he came up with? From a casual and unscientific survey of the general opinion though I suspect that this show is doomed to tank. I heard more complaints than praise about it which tells me it's not long for this Earth. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So 2 eps then. Did it hold interest or not?
It's not on out here until the 7th of next month (on fox, not Scifi)

VERY not, my friend...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
VERY not, my friend...

Can you spoil it for us? I'm stuck up here with what pretty much amounts to South Park's "The Canada Channel" without Terrance and Philip to at least entertain me a little.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
So 2 eps then. Did it hold interest or not?
It's not on out here until the 7th of next month (on fox, not Scifi)

It held hubby's and my interest. (of course i am currently working on a cross stitch project :P) but seriously- it's a pretty good show, likeable characters and interesting premise. We'll definitely be watching next week's ep. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ouch - falling skies lost 25% http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...18-49-rating-leverage-premiere-numbers/96618/
The second week of Falling Skies dropped to a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating, down 25% from the premiere’s 2.0 rating and 4.2 million viewers.

TNT’s epic drama Falling Skies proved itself destination programming by growing 23% out of its Leverage lead-in, with 4,200,000 viewers. Among key adult demos, the episode averaged 1,932,000 adults 18-49 and 2,187,000 adults 25-54. Falling Skies performed especially well among young adults, with 734,000 adults 18-34, and male demos, with 1,174,000 men 18-49. In the wake of last week’s two-hour television event, Falling Skies is expected to settle in over the next couple of weeks as the series finds its regular fan base.
TNT’s strategy for Falling Skies began with attracting a very wide audience for the two-hour series premiere, a major television event that ranks as cable’s #1 series launch for the year-to-date. That strategy paid off, according to early time-shifted viewing data, which now includes VOD measurement. In Live + 3 delivery, the series premiere of Falling Skies grew its audience to more than 7.5 million viewers (+27% over Live + Same Day), 3.6 million adults 18-49 (+35% vs. L+SD) and 4.2 million adults 25-54 (+30% vs. L+SD). In addition, Falling Skies’ delivery of adults 18-34 grew an exceptional 53% to 1.2 million, while men 18-49 grew 37% to 2.1 million.

But it did still do well among it's 18- 34 demo.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ouch - falling skies lost 25% http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...18-49-rating-leverage-premiere-numbers/96618/

But it did still do well among it's 18- 34 demo.

The pattern has been confirmed! This same sort of trajectory is shared by SGU and Caprica. There is always gonna be dropoff after a premiere, but seeing the show tells viewers that there isnt a lot left to keep interest. The story needed to show the invasion FIRST, even if it was a flashback or a cutscene in the titles. Otherwise, its only "implied" and that is just not good enough. These Masons and the sons are not enough to hold long-term interest IMO. I project the dropoff to continue next week.

Is it time to create a new Crystal Ball for this show?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Even though I want to give this show a try the very last minute I backed out! :redface: I guess I'll join the action when something-(if anything) happens. :) The ratings are technically still very strong. Though that's a significant drop in ratings IMO.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Even though I want to give this show a try the very last minute I backed out! :redface: I guess I'll join the action when something-(if anything) happens. :) The ratings are technically still very strong. Though that's a significant drop in ratings IMO.

chicken! :P next week looks very interesting....
the kid who had the harness removed puts it back on VOLUNTARILY and it appears the alien POW might be speaking through the kid! we shall see if that is the next ep...or just a sneaky scene from further down the road! :)