Falling Skies Ratings Discussion

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dropped again, I wonder how low the ratings will go?

I am almost 100% certain that this show will be canceled after episode 20 (or before). The show is lacking in too many areas, and the addition of overt religion and soapy stuff like baby showers and children being nurtured by skitters...its just a recipe for failure, and I dont think it can be fixed. I think the ratings will drop below the survival threshold.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Om, there's nothing wrong with having religion, or even one or more particular religions in a show - even a scifi show. The problems are in other areas; lack of real peril, slow moving, creeping soap-fi elements and so forth.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I finished watching Surface, that was fantastic despite the kid crap which sorta got to be interesting later on. They should just ditch this series and bring that back, it was getting really stupendous towards the end.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Om, there's nothing wrong with having religion, or even one or more particular religions in a show - even a scifi show. The problems are in other areas; lack of real peril, slow moving, creeping soap-fi elements and so forth.

Oh Rly? If you can name ONE SINGLE SHOW that was NOT hurt by having religion in it (especially Christianity or Islam)?, please name it. :) Religion doesnt belong in a show when it is being PRACTICED in the show by the main characters. The only way you can do it is to create a completely new religion for the show (a la the Bajorans and the religion of The Prophets, or the religion of the Draks in Enemy Mine, or the Polytheism in BSG). Even the "religion" of the Jedi is acceptable. But overt Christianity in any show (not just science fiction) is definitely detrimental. I often wonder why any writers try to include it at all? It will always follow along the lines of whomever is in charge of the production or the writing as to what religion is done. Its almost always Catholicism. Take your time finding a good example. :). In the last episode of Falling Skies, The Lord's Prayer was recited. On the shrine table is a small statue of the current Catholic concept of Mary, along with candles (which become prayer candles in the presence of that statue). Many many non-religious and non-Christian people find that offensive. I do not want soap or religion in my science fiction. But is this science fiction even? Even drama is hurt when religion is brought into it.

I finished watching Surface, that was fantastic despite the kid crap which sorta got to be interesting later on. They should just ditch this series and bring that back, it was getting really stupendous towards the end.

I absolutely LOVED Surface from beginning to end. Im in withdrawal from it. I was wondering if Nim would still be as friendly when he got huge like the others. It was interesting that the kid started being able to control the creatures and also shock things. :) The end was so painfully unfinished. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Overmind, we're just going to have to differ on this one.

I was simply stating that, per se, there is no inherent issue with a depiction of religion. It is after all a vital part of the lives of a great many people. Of course there is the problem of ACCURATE depiction of religious people, and that is an area where TV (and most movies) constantly falls on its face. Typically people of faith get depicted in stereotypical terms which are frequently derogatory. That is probably because typically the screenwriters lack personal experience on which to draw and/or are hostile to faith, and typically do not choose to consult actual members of a faith to make sure their depiction is realistic.

SciFi can indeed have religious aspects in it. Examples include "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and indeed Babylon 5, which had at one time or another several of the current world religions playing parts in the story.

In any event, I am not defending Falling Skies, which has numerous problems (growing soapiness, slow pace, lack of peril).

Let's not get into a fight over this my friend. We agree on many, many things so I think it is quite possible to simply agree to disagree in this case.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Overmind, we're just going to have to differ on this one.

I was simply stating that, per se, there is no inherent issue with a depiction of religion. It is after all a vital part of the lives of a great many people. Of course there is the problem of ACCURATE depiction of religious people, and that is an area where TV (and most movies) constantly falls on its face. Typically people of faith get depicted in stereotypical terms which are frequently derogatory. That is probably because typically the screenwriters lack personal experience on which to draw and/or are hostile to faith, and typically do not choose to consult actual members of a faith to make sure their depiction is realistic.

SciFi can indeed have religious aspects in it. Examples include "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and indeed Babylon 5, which had at one time or another several of the current world religions playing parts in the story.

In any event, I am not defending Falling Skies, which has numerous problems (growing soapiness, slow pace, lack of peril).

Let's not get into a fight over this my friend. We agree on many, many things so I think it is quite possible to simply agree to disagree in this case.

With apologies to OM1 for putting words in his mouth what I think he's trying to say is that when religion becomes a continuing, dominating theme in a scifi show it has a detrimental effect. It's near impossible to appeal to every viewer's spiritual philosophy and consequently viewers get turned off. Most of us are there to view scifi and not a religious viewpoint which, chances are, won't match our own. This is why religion is generally not a huge part of such shows and when it is depicted the "harsh edges" of whatever religion is being depicted are watered down. You won't often see a crucifix in the scene but you will see candles and humbled prostration in front of something that denotes a deity (assumed to be Christian).

As for the "God girl" on Falling Skies she's too much of a cliche. Yes, in a situation such as this show depicts many people would rely on and/or fallback on religious faith to help them thru their days. This can be depicted in the show but with this girl they make her a soft spoken oracle of sorts. She just oozes moral superiority and comes off as if she's better than everyone, and in effect is flawless due to her religious beliefs. She comes to us fully secure in her faith and is even smug about it.

The story line of a character who is religious and has their beliefs challenged in the face of great horror and difficulty has been done to death and is now trite and cliche. And with "God girl" they don't even have that, rather, they have her whole and complete in her faith. She projects surety in her beliefs even though the world is crawling with death and destruction which basically makes her an annoying, Pollyanna moralizer. There's no depth to be mined there, there's just a cardboard character who doesn't have any range of conflict for their story. Yawn.

Maybe in later episodes they will do more with "God girl" in regard to challenging her faith, but to be honest I, and many viewers, aren't interested in that story line. We've seen it in countless other shows already. It's boring and trite and cliche. No one cares about a fictional crisis of faith because it's been done ad nauseum already. The show is concentrating far too much on emotional melodrama and not enough on scifi action and storytelling. Lose the candles and replace them with carbines. Now that's how you make an enjoyable scifi show. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With apologies to OM1 for putting words in his mouth what I think he's trying to say is that when religion becomes a continuing, dominating theme in a scifi show it has a detrimental effect. It's near impossible to appeal to every viewer's spiritual philosophy and consequently viewers get turned off. Most of us are there to view scifi and not a religious viewpoint which, chances are, won't match our own. This is why religion is generally not a huge part of such shows and when it is depicted the "harsh edges" of whatever religion is being depicted are watered down. You won't often see a crucifix in the scene but you will see candles and humbled prostration in front of something that denotes a deity (assumed to be Christian).

EXACTLY. When its those words, you can put them in my mouth anytime :) Its ironic that "god girl" is talking about thankfulness amidst this invasion by aliens who are forcing the humans to wear harnesses, when it was the Catholics who are responsible for the Dark Ages and the genocide/assimilation of millions of people under the threat of death...like the aliens in the show.

As for the "God girl" on Falling Skies she's too much of a cliche. Yes, in a situation such as this show depicts many people would rely on and/or fallback on religious faith to help them thru their days. This can be depicted in the show but with this girl they make her a soft spoken oracle of sorts. She just oozes moral superiority and comes off as if she's better than everyone, and in effect is flawless due to her religious beliefs. She comes to us fully secure in her faith and is even smug about it.

If she was quietly praying in the show, that would be okay. Even a protracted moment of her doing her thing is okay, but this show made a point of having this hand holding prayer happen in the middle of the chow hall and between ALL the main characters.

The story line of a character who is religious and has their beliefs challenged in the face of great horror and difficulty has been done to death and is now trite and cliche. And with "God girl" they don't even have that, rather, they have her whole and complete in her faith. She projects surety in her beliefs even though the world is crawling with death and destruction which basically makes her an annoying, Pollyanna moralizer. There's no depth to be mined there, there's just a cardboard character who doesn't have any range of conflict for their story. Yawn.

Maybe in later episodes they will do more with "God girl" in regard to challenging her faith, but to be honest I, and many viewers, aren't interested in that story line. We've seen it in countless other shows already. It's boring and trite and cliche. No one cares about a fictional crisis of faith because it's been done ad nauseum already. The show is concentrating far too much on emotional melodrama and not enough on scifi action and storytelling. Lose the candles and replace them with carbines. Now that's how you make an enjoyable scifi show. ;)

There is nothing interesting about religion in a show about alien invasion IMO. Why have they even wasted a minute on it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There is nothing interesting about religion in a show about alien invasion IMO. Why have they even wasted a minute on it?

Probably because Falling Skies is simply another show that uses the window dressing of scifi to cover up the fact that it's a soapy drama. The only difference between this show and SGU is that it has a little more action than SGU had. Otherwise, it's the same in that it's focusing too much on the overly dramatic personal lives of the characters. Plus both shows have had a baby shower scene which pretty much tells us everything we need to know about where the writers are going. :roll:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Probably because Falling Skies is simply another show that uses the window dressing of scifi to cover up the fact that it's a soapy drama. The only difference between this show and SGU is that it has a little more action than SGU had. Otherwise, it's the same in that it's focusing too much on the overly dramatic personal lives of the characters. Plus both shows have had a baby shower scene which pretty much tells us everything we need to know about where the writers are going. :roll:

None of which I ever disagreed with. I don't like Falling Skies at all. It is WAY too slowly paced (I still remember them wasting 15 minutes on people eating in the premiere) and while not soap-fi yet it does spend too much time on people's personal lives and not enough on the central premise of the show. There is also no real sense of peril - the show utterly fails in both atmosphere and in character behavior to present these people as a ragged remnant of humanity - the magically neatly coiffed women is an example.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
None of which I ever disagreed with. I don't like Falling Skies at all. It is WAY too slowly paced (I still remember them wasting 15 minutes on people eating in the premiere) and while not soap-fi yet it does spend too much time on people's personal lives and not enough on the central premise of the show. There is also no real sense of peril - the show utterly fails in both atmosphere and in character behavior to present these people as a ragged remnant of humanity - the magically neatly coiffed women is an example.

And that's why scenes like the baby shower don't work, we have no sense of them being in peril and under the gun so when they get a moment to "relax" and do something benign and joyous we don't feel that other end of the emotional spectrum. I just felt annoyance at that scene and turned the channel. I didn't feel like it was a moment of relief for them because they don't appear to be under that much pressure.

The magically coiffed women coupled with the casual way they go about eating proves that the show doesn't want to be taken seriously. Basic hygiene would be a struggle in that environment let alone just getting three square meals a day. Food would be very scarce and rationed by six months after the invasion. Dr. Moonblood Whatever wouldn't be waltzing around the make shift ER with a plate of hamburger helper, no, she would have wolfed down whatever tiny spoonful of gruel they were handing out in the commissary the moment it hit her plate. All this is bad, lazy writing which is sanctioned by the producers. It's insulting to anyone with half a brain who sits down to watch the show.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And that's why scenes like the baby shower don't work, we have no sense of them being in peril and under the gun so when they get a moment to "relax" and do something benign and joyous we don't feel that other end of the emotional spectrum. I just felt annoyance at that scene and turned the channel. I didn't feel like it was a moment of relief for them because they don't appear to be under that much pressure.
I liked the bit with the "wobble stick" that the kid got for his birthday in the pilot, he had what 2 rides and let another kid have a go, then they had to move on. That shows human spirit without overdoing it and keeps the idea that they were still very much in danger.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I am almost 100% certain that this show will be canceled after episode 20 (or before). The show is lacking in too many areas, and the addition of overt religion and soapy stuff like baby showers and children being nurtured by skitters...its just a recipe for failure, and I dont think it can be fixed. I think the ratings will drop below the survival threshold.
Actually, in a bout of the galloping stupids, the network has decided to give the show a second season.

Mindblowing...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually, in a bout of the galloping stupids, the network has decided to give the show a second season.

Mindblowing...

Yeah, but the seasons are only 10 eps long Illiterati, so no more than your standard 20 ep order.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
10 episodes long?

Television season FAIL.

:P

The dynamic hasnt just changed with audiences, it has also changed with the relationship of the studios to the production companies. A 20 episode "season" will become a thing of the past and the new short seasons will become the norm like it is in the EU. This allows for studios to cancel after a single "season" of just 10 episodes. Since actors are still probably unwilling to sign a contract for such a short season in the US, they may require at least a single "standard season" to make things worth it. Hence, the "two season" 20 episode deals.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
How about doing it a la carte? One episode at a time with renewal decided after each week? :icon_e_biggrin:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The dynamic hasnt just changed with audiences, it has also changed with the relationship of the studios to the production companies. A 20 episode "season" will become a thing of the past and the new short seasons will become the norm like it is in the EU. This allows for studios to cancel after a single "season" of just 10 episodes. Since actors are still probably unwilling to sign a contract for such a short season in the US, they may require at least a single "standard season" to make things worth it. Hence, the "two season" 20 episode deals.
Meanwhile, my current favorite show, Castle, had a 24 episode season.

I miss those days. Bigtime.

I must say, however, that I really enjoy the summertime series on USA, almost without exception. They seem to appreciate good programming a lot better, which is odd, considering that USA is owned by the same people who own SyFy.

Seems a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Yep.
I think the best is the "13 ep" season. 13 eps breaks down nicely into seasons, if a show is good you can have 2 seasons a year, if it's ok, just one and if it sucks from the get go, well, you haven't lost that much to start with. I also think it would produce better quality storylines as well.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Meanwhile, my current favorite show, Castle, had a 24 episode season.

I miss those days. Bigtime.

I must say, however, that I really enjoy the summertime series on USA, almost without exception. They seem to appreciate good programming a lot better, which is odd, considering that USA is owned by the same people who own SyFy.

Seems a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it?

yep USA was even showing Alphas last week. ;)