Falling Skies Ratings Discussion

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That is quite a dropoff when you look at it.

Not when you look at the L+3 numbers for ep3, it really hasn't trended in any major form besides the expected drop off from people DVR-ing it for later viewing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not when you look at the L+3 numbers for ep3, it really hasn't trended in any major form besides the expected drop off from people DVR-ing it for later viewing.

Those numbers are lower than the numbers for V when it was cancelled. Im not saying that the Cancellation Bear is already close enough to hear him rustling in the underbrush, but unless it can draw the interest of the vast drama audience with this sort of apocalyptic premise it has, it will drop off considerably. One thing I never fool myself about is the fact that the science fiction audiences are much smaller than the drama audiences. All science fiction has drama as part of its body. Science fiction fans love good drama as long as it is balanced with good science and some excitement. But drama fans can be perfectly happy with dark interpersonal interaction taking place in small towns or ritzy suburbs, or watching inane adventures of other people in "reality show" format (a la the Kardashians). Are they going for sci-drama? Whatever they are doing, the show is not a knock-your-socks-off success off the bat. I admit, I am disappointed in this show at a core level. I feels much different than the initial rejection I felt when Primeval killed of its main central male character in season 2, and when Ashley was killed off in Sanctuary. That was followed up in Primeval by an INCREDIBLE transformation into an awesome show which won me back. Sanctuary added Kate and won me back. In this show, how can they get me interested? Where is the scientist of this group? Not the new guy who uses a blowtorch to remove harnesses, but a REAL scientist? Why is the military in charge of everything?

Oh well, its not soap fi, Ill give it that. I just find this show very meh. Im just one person with one opinion. :)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Those numbers are lower than the numbers for V when it was cancelled. Im not saying that the Cancellation Bear is already close enough to hear him rustling in the underbrush, but unless it can draw the interest of the vast drama audience with this sort of apocalyptic premise it has, it will drop off considerably. One thing I never fool myself about is the fact that the science fiction audiences are much smaller than the drama audiences. All science fiction has drama as part of its body. Science fiction fans love good drama as long as it is balanced with good science and some excitement. But drama fans can be perfectly happy with dark interpersonal interaction taking place in small towns or ritzy suburbs, or watching inane adventures of other people in "reality show" format (a la the Kardashians). Are they going for sci-drama? Whatever they are doing, the show is not a knock-your-socks-off success off the bat. I admit, I am disappointed in this show at a core level. I feels much different than the initial rejection I felt when Primeval killed of its main central male character in season 2, and when Ashley was killed off in Sanctuary. That was followed up in Primeval by an INCREDIBLE transformation into an awesome show which won me back. Sanctuary added Kate and won me back. In this show, how can they get me interested? Where is the scientist of this group? Not the new guy who uses a blowtorch to remove harnesses, but a REAL scientist? Why is the military in charge of everything?

Oh well, its not soap fi, Ill give it that. I just find this show very meh. Im just one person with one opinion. :)

I'm still confused about the harness. You can use a blow torch to take it off, yet if you just hover it over your back it reconnects. Why did the blow torch work in the first place? :confused:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm still confused about the harness. You can use a blow torch to take it off, yet if you just hover it over your back it reconnects. Why did the blow torch work in the first place? :confused:

what !?!?! you mean you expect the plot to be logical!?!?!

G

Graybrew1

Yes, I picked up on that too. And then Dad was able to just rip it off again. I see it as another plot hole. :icon_e_wink:

SciphonicStranger

what !?!?! you mean you expect the plot to be logical!?!?!

Yes, I picked up on that too. And then Dad was able to just rip it off again. I see it as another plot hole. :icon_e_wink:

Just a technical thing that I happened to notice - I'm sure the showrunners will ignore it. :P

Anyway, I'm guessing that the "skitters" will turn out to be military grunts and that way too late they will reveal higher up aliens that are really running the show...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just a technical thing that I happened to notice - I'm sure the showrunners will ignore it. :P

Anyway, I'm guessing that the "skitters" will turn out to be military grunts and that way too late they will reveal higher up aliens that are really running the show...

They need to spice it up some more and make it really feel like a survival story.

So how about having them run out of food and not find any more. So, they turn to hunting Skitters for food.

"Kentucky Fried Skitter - Finger Licking Good!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

See? They have already failed because they give no motivation for the actions of the skitters. In the scene where the kids were executed and the older son released, the skitters were compared with Nazis (Hitler was actually mentioned). WHY would an alien need to demoralize humans when they have weapons to annihilate them? Why would the skitters behave like depraved HUMANS? They didnt really come here to play Nazi did they? Or, is the comparison the only way to get drama fans to accept aliens in this show? I agree, the skitters on the ground are military units and not the Ruling Elite.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See? They have already failed because they give no motivation for the actions of the skitters. In the scene where the kids were executed and the older son released, the skitters were compared with Nazis (Hitler was actually mentioned). WHY would an alien need to demoralize humans when they have weapons to annihilate them? Why would the skitters behave like depraved HUMANS? They didnt really come here to play Nazi did they? Or, is the comparison the only way to get drama fans to accept aliens in this show? I agree, the skitters on the ground are military units and not the Ruling Elite.

Which is one reason I suggested they start eating the Skitters - it would at least provide some sense of real peril in the show.

S

Stonelesscutter

They need to spice it up some more and make it really feel like a survival story.

So how about having them run out of food and not find any more. So, they turn to hunting Skitters for food.

"Kentucky Fried Skitter - Finger Licking Good!"

Yes! They need to run out of food. And then they should run out of water. Next they run out of power. And then the oxygen levels are getting dangerously low.
:P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Don't forget Brother OM, V was on FTA and FS is on cable, there seems to be quite a disparity on exactly what is acceptable to both broadcast types. One thing you might find of interest is that the "save V" campaigners are targeting TNT as well :)

As to the rest, Scifi, especialy those going for the more dramatic (or dare I say realistic) tone needs to harden the hell up and take along hard look at what it is trying to portray. Post apocalypic worlds are not "The alien stole my baby, I've got to get him/her back" they are more like "The book of Eli" or Mad Max, where for the most part brutality and violence is par for the course. The other thing that grinds my gears, and it's related to the first point is that people don't write to be true to their characters. Everyone has heard the terms "swear like a trooper" or "language that would make a sailor blush" and these are not "new terms", they have existed for centuries, yet when it comes to Scifi, these recognised truisms get thrown out the window. The only two Scifi series that spring to mind where this convention is used is NuBSG with "frack this" and Farscape which comes up with some absolute gems.
As to why this happens, I blame Trek. The "Trek effect" of avoiding swearing and modern human reactions works well for trek because Trek is a utopian-esque view of the future and humanity, yet Scifi today continues to suffer from this perception that Scifi fans want or need this "cleanness" to survive (or be viable), no matter what kind of show you are trying to make and it's just wrong.

S

Stonelesscutter

Don't forget Brother OM, V was on FTA and FS is on cable, there seems to be quite a disparity on exactly what is acceptable to both broadcast types. One thing you might find of interest is that the "save V" campaigners are targeting TNT as well :)

As to the rest, Scifi, especialy those going for the more dramatic (or dare I say realistic) tone needs to harden the hell up and take along hard look at what it is trying to portray. Post apocalypic worlds are not "The alien stole my baby, I've got to get him/her back" they are more like "The book of Eli" or Mad Max, where for the most part brutality and violence is par for the course. The other thing that grinds my gears, and it's related to the first point is that people don't write to be true to their characters. Everyone has heard the terms "swear like a trooper" or "language that would make a sailor blush" and these are not "new terms", they have existed for centuries, yet when it comes to Scifi, these recognised truisms get thrown out the window. The only two Scifi series that spring to mind where this convention is used is NuBSG with "frack this" and Farscape which comes up with some absolute gems.
As to why this happens, I blame Trek. The "Trek effect" of avoiding swearing and modern human reactions works well for trek because Trek is a utopian-esque view of the future and humanity, yet Scifi today continues to suffer from this perception that Scifi fans want or need this "cleanness" to survive (or be viable), no matter what kind of show you are trying to make and it's just wrong.

Only yesterday you told me to mind my language and now you're saying there should be more swearing in tv series. :confused:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Only yesterday you told me to mind my language and now you're saying there should be more swearing in tv series. :confused:

Language on the open boards is one thing, they are "PG", everywhere else, go for broke :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
An interesting little tidbit I found on another forum:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462059/board/thread/185110514?d=185110514&p=1#185110514

If this guy is legit, then the problems with Falling Skies can't be fixed, especially since they've already wrapped up production for season 1.

Very interesting post that guy has. Here's a line that stood out for me because it's true:

On "Battlestar"they talk about their situation as though it's actually happening, on "Falling Skies" they talk about it like it's on TV - the sense of real jeopardy just isn't there.

SciphonicStranger

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Only place to go is lower, yeah? I still haven't seen the new one yet but from the posts, it seems kinda bad.