Falling Skies Discussion Thread *spoilers*

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed

I like Pope, and that is why he can never be a TRULY effective "bad guy". Now he is the camp cook...er, excuse me...Chef (trained in the culinary arts). Do I really need to know that? Did we actually sit through a scene of him spitting out the food whilst in his cell, then being offered the cook job? We are talking about cooking chicken and rice and chefs and stuff? Um, where are the aliens? And why did the aliens feel a need to demoralize the humans when they have no problem using glow bombs to annihilate entire cities? And, um...the spaceships lock in on flares, but not on the camp cookouts? SLOPPY. I dont even want to get into the skitter in the cell unattended and the kid on the table unattended :facepalm:.

You know there is a writer on staff who came up with the Pope/chef thing and thinks it's the most clever idea evah. :roll: Too bad the average viewer isn't as stupid as the Failing Skies writing staff thinks we are. I mean, we're to believe that in the 300 people in this camp Pope is the only one who knows how to mix yeast with flour to make bread? :roll:

And don't get me going about how they had the ability to communicate with the skitter in the cage but the whole scene was flat and pointless, no info was revealed in that moment. That was a HUGE writing error right there.

I know I'm a bit of a broken record with this point but there is a problem with the writing on this show, an arrogance and a hubris that flies in the face of viewer anticipation. They aren't giving us viewers what we want and they don't care -- they just want to write what they want and stroke each others egos on the writing staff. The logical outcome of this type of mindset is obvious. We all know what is going to happen and once again there's little we, the viewers, can do about it.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Fairly stale episode. Show's severely lacking something of a spark, only good thing seems to be Noah Wyle. Wonder when things will kick into gear, if it does.

Inara

GateFans Noob
I'm just now catching up with last week's episode, and I will admit I got a giggle out of Colin Cunningham's character complaining about going out unarmed, "What am I, Canadian?"

A bit of an in-joke with Colin actually being Canadian, but I wonder if TPTB intended it or not. Judging by the writing, probably not.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
G

Graybrew1

Fairly stale episode. Show's severely lacking something of a spark, only good thing seems to be Noah Wyle. Wonder when things will kick into gear, if it does.

I don't agree. Noah Wyle is acting like Carter from ER running around fighting aliens instead of being a doctor. He has the same expression with same puppy dog eyes. I have seen him act better.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol, I liked Carter, rich white guy from rich family but has enough humility and compassion to not be a jerk, how I wish rich people were. He took on that one critter single-handedly and dragged it all the way back, that was pretty badass. He's not really acting like Carter really. I don't know much of his other works so I can't say about his acting, except Silicon Valley. I just like his character, likable and reasonable.

G

Graybrew1

I disagree. His personal is the same. Carter got hardened on that show after Lucy was killed and he was stabbed. He took on some bad guys in the ER.
I just see an older Carter.

S

Stonelesscutter

People people... There can be only one Carter and that is Samantha!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't agree. Noah Wyle is acting like Carter from ER running around fighting aliens instead of being a doctor. He has the same expression with same puppy dog eyes. I have seen him act better.

I agree with you here and it's not that I want to bash Noah Wyle, but the truth is we aren't getting anything more from him than a retread ER performance. I thought he showed some range in those Librarian movies but perhaps the guy simply is limited in his ability to change characters? Just a thought.

G

Graybrew1

I agree with you here and it's not that I want to bash Noah Wyle, but the truth is we aren't getting anything more from him than a retread ER performance. I thought he showed some range in those Librarian movies but perhaps the guy simply is limited in his ability to change characters? Just a thought.
I am just surprised because Carter was such a complex and well played character.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It might also be too early for him to do anything of freedom, I mean usually they don't do character heavy stuff until much later into the story, yeah? It's only been what, 4 episodes?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It might also be too early for him to do anything of freedom, I mean usually they don't do character heavy stuff until much later into the story, yeah? It's only been what, 4 episodes?

True, he's been too busy focusing on his sons...and his sons...and let's not forget the episode where he worried about his sons...and that one scene where he talked to his son...and the cupcake scene with his youngest son...and then there was the fight with his oldest son...and of course we can't leave out the gut-wrenching issue of his middle son who has been harnessed by the aliens...plus there's the whole thing about his sons for him to focus on and, oh yeah, he's kind of preoccupied with his sons.

:D

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Good god, I hate that kid. His little blonde one, such an annoyance and scene-sucker.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Good god, I hate that kid. His little blonde one, such an annoyance and scene-sucker.

It's the great Spielberg Flaw in action. Got to have the cutesy cutesy kid thing going on in every single one of his productions. :puke:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Was there one in Shindler's List?

Well look at you catching me in a moment of hyperbole. My my my, aren't we full of ourselves now? I can just see all your friends down at the hash cafe giving you high fives for catching this one. :roll:

I think you know my point was valid though. The "cutesy cutesy kid" thing is a Spielberg trademark.

BTW, your comment got me thinking about that Seinfeld episode where Jerry makes out during Shindler's List. That show was so whacked at times. :icon_lol:

ETA: And yes, I'm sure there was a "cutesy cutesy kid" scene in Shindler's List, it just probably got cut in editing. :P