Falling Skies Discussion Thread *spoilers*

G

Graybrew1

This ep was not really mind blowing for me, teaser about getting more info about the skitters being here and then they gave us nothing. Why was the harness not being watched or somewhere safe instead of just laying on the table next to the kid that had been under mind cotrol before? Did they not see this possiblity? That was a plothole to me.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
This ep was not really mind blowing for me, teaser about getting more info about the skitters being here and then they gave us nothing. Why was the harness not being watched or somewhere safe instead of just laying on the table next to the kid that had been under mind cotrol before? Did they not see this possiblity? That was a plothole to me.

Yeah, this one was mostly more meh at first glance. Pope blowing up the hanging skitters was the best part.

B

Backstep

so far the plotholes are the size of the Grand Canyon. A chance to have some info on the aliens and the father rushes in and rips the harness off his son before being questioned :facepalm: As Yoda says, Slow dull boring Falling Skies is

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Glad to see you are paying attention tonight. ;) :D

It's maudlin, unbelievable crap lines like the one I quoted that has me turning the channel on a regular basis. I'm already sick of the father/son bonding crap. And the tough as nails military leader who secretly is a softy. :roll:

Then there's the bad CGI (the bat-like skitter explosion was very amateurish). :roll: I'm sorry but can someone tell me what the hell they spent their budget on? And why the bleep do they always show spoilers for up coming scenes in the same show as they go to commercial???

Okay, I have to stop now -- I just need to stop. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yup, it was telegraphed from miles away.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
so far the plotholes are the size of the Grand Canyon. A chance to have some info on the aliens and the father rushes in and rips the harness off his son before being questioned :facepalm: As Yoda says, Slow dull boring Falling Skies is

Agreed. The whole scene was so weak and attenuated. I mean, here we have a chance to get into the head of an alien and they literally give us nothing! Lame.

And if the skitter wants to die because it's afraid it will get in trouble with the other aliens I'm pretty sure it could figure out a way to get the job done.

G

Graybrew1

Darn, I still can't green you again. Mental Green for you. :biggrin:

B

Backstep

In the scene where god girl was praying for the harnessed kids, there was a newspaper clipping with the headline Alien ships defy analysis. That leads to there was no 9 minute battle or EMP bombs, the aliens are just a blackhole of info and nothing more than curtain dressing. Another show where someone stuck a scifi sticker over the soap label now the scifi sticker is peeling off.

G

Graybrew1

In the scene where god girl was praying for the harnessed kids, there was a newspaper clipping with the headline Alien ships defy analysis. That leads to there was no 9 minute battle or EMP bombs, the aliens are just a blackhole of info and nothing more than curtain dressing. Another show where someone stuck a scifi sticker over the soap label now the scifi sticker is peeling off.

I think you and I are in agreement with this. I just still enjoy Pope's character. He is the only redeeming factor in the show thus far for me. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I am finally getting to watch this installment.

First thing that pops up - again the women are all clean and neatly coiffed while the guys are a little scruffy looking. Plus they are in pretty decent surrounding just now so there is no feeling of desperation or deprivation for that matter.

Second is once again way too much human EMO drama and not enough about the conflict that supposedly was the premise of the show. Plus as noted earlier the newspaper page they showed directly contradicts the premiere episode which said the battle took 9 minutes - that paper must have had a REALLY fast printing cycle...:rolleyes:

Third, this is BORING! I am agreeing that the show moves way too slow. I would add there are too many characters which is leading to too many plotlines; again slowing the pace down too much. Plus the kids with harnesses just walking around with guns was silly - why not employ mechs instead?

B

Backstep

I think you and I are in agreement with this. I just still enjoy Pope's character. He is the only redeeming factor in the show thus far for me. ;)

I agree, Pope is the most interesting character. FS presented his character IMO the correct way, through his actions and minimal yap yap. Knew Pope was going to kill the Skitters under the bridge, but didn't know how.

First thing that pops up - again the women are all clean and neatly coiffed while the guys are a little scruffy looking. Plus they are in pretty decent surrounding just now so there is no feeling of desperation or deprivation for that matter.

Second is once again way too much human EMO drama and not enough about the conflict that supposedly was the premise of the show. Plus as noted earlier the newspaper page they showed directly contradicts the premiere episode which said the battle took 9 minutes - that paper must have had a REALLY fast printing cycle...:rolleyes:

Third, this is BORING! I am agreeing that the show moves way too slow. I would add there are too many characters which is leading to too many plotlines; again slowing the pace down too much. Plus the kids with harnesses just walking around with guns was silly - why not employ mechs instead?

We are in agreement. IMO FS is nothing more than sgu on Earth. I am at the point where i say I'm done! I do not care for or about the characters; slow, dull and boring doesn't hold my attention.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I noticed the same thing with the doctor chick (sorry, can't remember her name) when she walked into a scene with a plate of food in her hand. She was more interested in the static on the radio than the food on her plate. Something tells me that she'd be ravenous -- they all would. She wouldn't be waltzing around the building casually picking at a plate of food, she would have wolfed it down the second it hit her plate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The Falling Skies version of Chloe's magical makeup kit. I saw it coming from episode one.

SLOPPY. This show is just another example of a soap opera dressed in scifi drag. After this season (and dropping ratings) it wll fail and be cancelled. But didnt it reveal itself from the trailers shown before the first episode? I think it did that very clearly.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A distinction we should make

The Falling Skies version of Chloe's magical makeup kit. I saw it coming from episode one.

SLOPPY. This show is just another example of a soap opera dressed in scifi drag. After this season (and dropping ratings) it wll fail and be cancelled. But didnt it reveal itself from the trailers shown before the first episode? I think it did that very clearly.

You know, I want to like this show, I really do. I think all of us want a good sci-fi drama to watch. I just wanted to mention this before anyone accuses us Failing Skies detractors as simply being haters. The simple fact is this show is not that good and it's hard to gin up interest in it.

And the most important thing to be pointed out is that, once again, we have a case of writer's arrogance at work here. It's blatantly obvious. These guys think they are uber cool because they're writing something "deeper" than just a sci-fi shoot 'em up. There seems to be no consideration of what the viewers want, none at all. This is a recipe for disaster as we all know.

Shame that, yet again, a good concept (alien invasion) will go down in flames due in no part to us viewers. :(

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i had a feeling that this show was going to be like this and hnece ive avoided it like the plague and that seem to have been the right thing to do after reading all the comments about it on here.

G

Graybrew1

I just hope that Terra Nova and B&C do not to turn out to be as big of disappointments to me as FS has been so far.:(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like Pope, and that is why he can never be a TRULY effective "bad guy". Now he is the camp cook...er, excuse me...Chef (trained in the culinary arts). Do I really need to know that? Did we actually sit through a scene of him spitting out the food whilst in his cell, then being offered the cook job? We are talking about cooking chicken and rice and chefs and stuff? Um, where are the aliens? And why did the aliens feel a need to demoralize the humans when they have no problem using glow bombs to annihilate entire cities? And, um...the spaceships lock in on flares, but not on the camp cookouts? SLOPPY. I dont even want to get into the skitter in the cell unattended and the kid on the table unattended :facepalm:.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ok this is bad...this episode was so damn slow and actually was boring me! (thank the monkey gods for FFwd with on demand!:P) they are giving us info on the aliens with a pipette-- stop the slow stuff already!!!! This was a very disappointing ep and am wondering if it will get any better. I'll watch it still, but not expecting as much! :P Its slow but not soap-fi! :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Them harnasses don't remind me of Goa'uld at all. They attach to a human body and they influence the person's mind. They heal diseases. Nothing like Goa'uld.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok this is bad...this episode was so damn slow and actually was boring me! (thank the monkey gods for FFwd with on demand!:P) they are giving us info on the aliens with a pipette-- stop the slow stuff already!!!! This was a very disappointing ep and am wondering if it will get any better. I'll watch it still, but not expecting as much! :P Its slow but not soap-fi! :D

No, not full on soap fi yet...but its not sci fi either. Still too much character drama. Why do they want us only to focus on the characters and not also on the technology? The Transformers movies are selling GM cars. The original Trek gave us real cellphones and laptops and bluetooth headsets. Atlantis gave us a flying city ship. V and Independence Day and District 9 gave us huge motherships and in all three we knew why they were there. Why cant we at least get an episode where we are ON one of those huge ships/structures in the cities? I want to see one up close...how about a crashed alien ship or even a not crashed one, but CLOSE UP? I agree with others who say the CGI in this show is crappy. The skitters are good CGI (when they are CGI) Im seeing rubber puppets. I have already heard enough whining from the blonde kid. Yeah, I get it that he misses his bro Ben and he wants him back like his daddy does. I get that the son now has to go after his girl who has been taken to the aliens. But all of this seems like a distraction from the ALIENS and what they are doing all this time.