Falling Skies Discussion Thread *spoilers*

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just....

Im not even 10 minutes into the show and I have had so many facepalm moments that I needed to stop just to collect a few new ones because I am going to need them. OMG.

Okay, a soccer game when there is an impending attack on their neat little camp where they have hoised an American flag? A pregnant woman, and what is it with the blonde bad ass chick? They are doing her like they did Ashley on Sanctuary. She is totally unbelievable, and she annoys me. And the new brunette hottie they are trying to hook up with Hal (Tom's oldest son...I had to look it up here to get the names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies#Cast_and_characters). She is wearing a NOSE STUD? Why are they wearing these clothes in this post apocalyptic setting? They are playing soccer? REALLY?

(the first of many, I fear):

wolverine_facepalm.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Are the writers really that addled?

Im not understanding this show at all...

So, we get this shaky cam scene of people standing in a food line in one scene:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-22h52m56s52.jpg

Then a pregnant scene about her being able to keep up if an attack happens, complete with shaky cam 40 seconds later:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-22h49m52s24.jpg

Yet less than a minute later we are treated to THIS:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-22h50m26s105.jpg

So, they are all in the same camp, yet Hal and his new girlie get to talk about zucchini and make cute whilst inhaling the aroma of fresh stewing veggies in expensive cookware (note the bubbling pot of soup on the stove), in a nice neat folksy kitchen. Where else to create that touching courting scene? Why do the others have to stand in line for a ladle of gruel while these two get to eat gourmet vegetarian organic stew? In a PRIVATE eating area?

puppet_facepalm.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:facepalm: See above:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h03m39s81.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I find the CONTINUED introduction of religion into this show very offensive. Particularly because its ONLY Catholic Christianity and no other denominations of Christianity or any other religions or any non-religious people in the group. Before you ask, NO the actor playing Pope (Colin Cunningham) does not have those tattoos, so that means they were INTENTIONALLY put on him to make him Catholic in the show.

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h08m33s199.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Those were scenes in different locations. It was a 2-parter. The one group of kids went off to stay with the new military guy and they had this farm with stables, an orchard and a nice house. That was the cute little cooking scene you saw. The one back at the regular camp was with the adults left behind who were expecting a skitter attack.

Suffice to say the ending is hardly satisfying, at least for me. The motivations -- or lack thereof -- of the characters is bewildering. People simply would not act the way they do in that type of SHTF situation. There would be no "happy" endings where the bad guys are let off with a stern talking to. There would be lot's of traitors bodies piled up everywhere.

This show has an inherent problem with the tone/style they use. I could be more specific but don't want to blather out spoilers. Suffice to say this show sucks. I mean hell, Alphas is far more shocking and graphic than Failing Skies -- and I'm totally serious about that.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I thought that kind off stuff was due to the "fighters" needing to be well fed and rested?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I find the CONTINUED introduction of religion into this show very offensive. Particularly because its ONLY Catholic Christianity and no other denominations of Christianity or any other religions or any non-religious people in the group.

View attachment 4960

And the bad guy is turning out to not be such a bad guy -- and he's back to cooking for the camp, yay! :roll: Who could have predicted that? Not I.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Those were scenes in different locations. It was a 2-parter. The one group of kids went off to stay with the new military guy and they had this farm with stables, an orchard and a nice house. That was the cute little cooking scene you saw. The one back at the regular camp was with the adults left behind who were expecting a skitter attack.

Suffice to say the ending is hardly satisfying, at least for me. The motivations -- or lack thereof -- of the characters is bewildering. People simply would not act the way they do in that type of SHTF situation. There would be no "happy" endings where the bad guys are let off with a stern talking to. There would be lot's of traitors bodies piled up everywhere.

This show has an inherent problem with the tone/style they use. I could be more specific but don't want to blather out spoilers. Suffice to say this show sucks. I mean hell, Alphas is far more shocking and graphic than Failing Skies -- and I'm totally serious about that.

Sadly, I agree - I'm finding Alphas to be more interesting than FS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And the bad guy is turning out to not be such a bad guy -- and he's back to cooking for the camp, yay! :roll: Who could have predicted that? Not I.

He's "Jesus"! Couldnt you see the resemblance? :icon_lol: This show is just...cant they cancel it? This girl in the show is almost a clone of Chloe:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h25m19s53.jpg

Another thing I dont like is that they only have women in certain supply roles and men in others. The only crossover is the unlikely blonde rifle expert girl, and perhaps the little blonde son of Tom's who is actually more like a little girl in the show than a little boy.

facepalming.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG...are they for real? Why are we seeing these scenes? There isnt a skitter to be seen and the episode is half over!

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h39m09s102.jpg

Margaret's rifle is literally DANGLING from her back from that lanyard, and her pistol is tucked into her supply harnesses? :facepalm: No military advisers in this in this show either. The direct comparison to SGU is avoided because we know who the enemy is. The skitters. We dont know what they want or why they have to have human children to complete their missions, but at least we know who they are. The drama in the show drags it down.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG...are they for real? Why are we seeing these scenes? There isnt a skitter to be seen and the episode is half over!

View attachment 4963

Margaret's rifle is literally DANGLING from her back from that lanyard, and her pistol is tucked into her supply harnesses? :facepalm: No military advisers in this in this show either. The direct comparison to SGU is avoided because we know who the enemy is. The skitters. We dont know what they want or why they have to have human children to complete their missions, but at least we know who they are. The drama in the show drags it down.

They tried to build suspense and interest with the "OMG SHE'S GOING INTO LABOR DURING AN ATTACK!!!" story in this one, but it fell very flat. The military guy supposedly helped deliver the baby which was breech (breach?). They showed almost nothing of the birth THANK GOD!!! There was just a fresh, clean baby in a blanket being tossed around in the final touching scene. How beautiful! Life finds a way even in the most dire of circumstances...and so do tired, worn out, contrived cliches posing as good writing. :roll:

Christ, someone needs to put a bullet in the head of this dog of a show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They tried to build suspense and interest with the "OMG SHE'S GOING INTO LABOR DURING AN ATTACK!!!" story in this one, but it fell very flat. The military guy supposedly helped deliver the baby which was breech (breach?). They showed almost nothing of the birth THANK GOD!!! There was just a fresh, clean baby in a blanket being tossed around in the final touching scene. How beautiful! Life finds a way even in the most dire of circumstances...and so do tired, worn out, contrived cliches posing as good writing. :roll:

Christ, someone needs to put a bullet in the head of this dog of a show.

The ungrateful black kid is getting on my nerves. He never smiles, is ungrateful for being saved from the skitters, treats his dad like a stranger and doesnt get along with the other kids or adults. Can we just kill him off please? And how do these people have time and resources to have a play session? Is God Girl packing their lunch for school in the background?

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h56m19s202.jpg

facepalm01.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That alone is a facepalm. :facepalm: This show is really a stinker, aint it?

Yes, it's shocking, I mean, Alphas actually was more interesting to watch than Failing Skies this week. I'm totally serious about this. The latest episode of Alphas had some pretty hardcore violence replete with blood and guts. People actually died in this one as opposed to Failing Skies where even the bad guys don't die, they just get a stern talking to.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so annoying! :mad:

vlcsnap-2011-07-25-23h59m52s44.jpg:tealcanime23:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it's shocking, I mean, Alphas actually was more interesting to watch than Failing Skies this week. I'm totally serious about this. The latest episode of Alphas had some pretty hardcore violence replete with blood and guts. People actually died in this one as opposed to Failing Skies where even the bad guys don't die, they just get a stern talking to.

I had hopes that the show wouldnt be a fail, but in all fairness they didnt go soap-fi. They just delivered horrible drama, and tried to add some science fiction into it but not in the right proportions. Im almost finished with the episode.

facepalm.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The ungrateful black kid is getting on my nerves. He never smiles, is ungrateful for being saved from the skitters, treats his dad like a stranger and doesnt get along with the other kids or adults. Can we just kill him off please? And how do these people have time and resources to have a play session? Is God Girl packing their lunch for school in the background?

View attachment 4964

View attachment 4965

That's another problem this show has -- no realism. The chick in the background is actually gathering supplies from the house they are holed up in on their way back to the school/camp. If this scene was realistic they would have every single one of those kids filling his or her pockets with household supplies necessary for survival and not playing freaking "Battleship". Apparently in this alt reality though the 300+ people back at camp have no need of supplies. I guess the nearby houses they've ransacked magically restock themselves for the benefit of the survivors.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I had hopes that the show wouldnt be a fail, but in all fairness they didnt go soap-fi. They just delivered horrible drama, and tried to add some science fiction into it but not in the right proportions. Im almost finished with the episode.

As you'll see the main bad guy dies, but that's only because he wasn't giving up without a fight, otherwise they would have let him live. Think about that -- this group of former military men are now traitors who give up children to the skitters in exchange for being left alone. The good guys find this out, save the kids, but let these evil monsters live. That would never happen in this type of situation were it real. They actually let them off with a stern warning. I just sat there at the end of this episode going "WTF???"

Oh, and the scenes basically show that the harnessed kids are being turned into skitters. Shocking revelation I know.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's another problem this show has -- no realism. The chick in the background is actually gathering supplies from the house they are holed up in on their way back to the school/camp. If this scene was realistic they would have every single one of those kids filling his or her pockets with household supplies necessary for survival and not playing freaking "Battleship". Apparently in this alt reality though the 300+ people back at camp have no need of supplies. I guess the nearby houses they've ransacked magically restock themselves for the benefit of the survivors.

LOL...is it time for a magical restocking house like the survival kits for SGU? You know, like show scenes of the shelves being cleaned out by passing survivors, but the next group that comes along will find them restocked and organized by brand and variety. :roll: Oh, and the Battleship board will be reset and new cereal will be in that box for them to munch on while the women pack their bags. Did they really let Ben go out alone? Sure he gets to save the day, but isnt he still a potential threat? Why dont the skitters have the same effect on Ben as they did the black kid?