Review S2E17 - Common Descent

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now that is funny! Enjoy the green my Dutch counterpart! (nemesis?)

How-to-Become-An-Internet-Marketing-Smart-Ass-In-3-Simple-Lessons.jpg

S

Stonelesscutter

Aye donkey ;) (insert shrek scottish accent*)

nowhere far as i know but gates amplify c4 stuck to em, anyway imo it would have been logical for it to go critical and blow up.
also an add to this subject was there an ep this season where the gate had been buried in rock? possibly form an asteriod impact or something yet that thing could dial.. meh more Sg style plothles.. sg1 sga and sgu are all full of em so this sort of stupidity isnt limited to sgu.

I don't really remember if there was an ep where the gate was buried in rock and able to dial.
Interestingly though...
In the original Stargate movie it IS possible for a gate to dial when it's buried in rock.
At the beginning of the movie there is that dig in Egypt (actually Arizona) where they find the gate and they also find the remains of a horus-guard soldier.
I never quite got that from watching the film but in the director's commentary they say that the soldier(s) where transported by the gate into the rock where they petrified.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I don't really remember if there was an ep where the gate was buried in rock and able to dial.
Interestingly though...
In the original Stargate movie it IS possible for a gate to dial when it's buried in rock.
At the beginning of the movie there is that dig in Egypt (actually Arizona) where they find the gate and they also find the remains of a horus-guard soldier.
I never quite got that from watching the film but in the director's commentary they say that the soldier(s) where transported by the gate into the rock where they petrified.

Only in the directors cut ;)

and no they arnt petrefied theyve just been there for so long that theyve turned into fosils.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Ok episode, bit ridiculous though, they make an advanced civilization but don't have space travel. And they've been living in that colony for 30 yrs and only have tents for housing, ridiculous. Rush being a demon was kinda funny. And what the hell, the drones can detect their drone usage but didn't do it for the last few episodes? Man, I hate their illogical attempts at their little sci-fi content. What was with the purple fruit thing? Maybe for their periods? Wray's a lesbian, how could she have descendants? Eli had a kid, with who? I can believe the survival bits a little I guess with Varro and Greer but a lot of it is unbelievable.

Sorry if I said things other people have already mentioned.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok episode, bit ridiculous though, they make an advanced civilization but don't have space travel. And they've been living in that colony for 30 yrs and only have tents for housing, ridiculous. Rush being a demon was kinda funny. And what the hell, the drones can detect their drone usage but didn't do it for the last few episodes? Man, I hate their illogical attempts at their little sci-fi content. What was with the purple fruit thing? Maybe for their periods? Wray's a lesbian, how could she have descendants? Eli had a kid, with who? I can believe the survival bits a little I guess with Varro and Greer but a lot of it is unbelievable.

:rotflmao:

G

Graybrew1

N/P , I would be willing to discuss it with you if you want.

It has been discussed alot over at Syfy about the suppposed "Dark Ages" that the civilization must have gone through to be so far behind space travel. But my point has been, that they should have also regressed socially and consider women as cattle and such, however they did not appear to when they met them. So, since it is a two parter , it should be interesting to see where they take this next week.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
N/P , I would be willing to discuss it with you if you want.

It has been discussed alot over at Syfy about the suppposed "Dark Ages" that the civilization must have gone through to be so far behind space travel. But my point has been, that they should have also regressed socially and consider women as cattle and such, however they did not appear to when they met them. So, since it is a two parter , it should be interesting to see where they take this next week.

The mistreatment of women in such a way was an artefact of the monotheistic religions, not the dark ages.

G

Graybrew1

The mistreatment of women in such a way was an artefact of the monotheistic religions, not the dark ages.

I stand corrected. Mr. smarty pants.;) But my overall point still is, if they regressed for whatever reason, they would have regressed for social behaviors as well. Back in the litlle house in the prarie days, we lived in cabins and women were treated as cattle. Not allowed to vote. Not really allowed to work , definately not equals.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I was going to mention that in my review for the next episode. I couldn't help thinking about the modern city they showed for the upcoming episode then I remembered they were living in tents on the colony planet and I'm like 'WTF? They can't bring steel girders thru the gate???' Just lame, totally lame!

And then when the drones attacked they knocked over an analog antenna from Radio Shack. :roll: So what I gather is the colonists weren't able to bring much of anything with them. Perhaps they had been exiled for political reasons and that will be explored in the next ep? Who knows. It just doesn't make sense that based on what we were shown on both planets so far.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I stand corrected. Mr. smarty pants.;) But my overall point still is, if they regressed for whatever reason, they would have regressed for social behaviors as well. Back in the litlle house in the prarie days, we lived in cabins and women were treated as cattle. Not allowed to vote. Not really allowed to work , definately not equals.

Nope, women were treated as equals to men for thousands of years. Sure they had different roles, but they were not treated as inferior to men.

G

Graybrew1

Nope, women were treated as equals to men for thousands of years. Sure they had different roles, but they were not treated as inferior to men.

Take no offense my young friend. (Sarcasm included) But that is coming from a man's point of view. To this day, I am treated differently than a man. And women have only been allowed to vote in my country since 1920. We were already long out of huts by then, My comparison is to the people on the planet that are still in huts for 30 years.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The mistreatment of women occurred in polytheistic religions/cultures as much as monotheistic. Ancient Rome and ancient Greece weren't exactly egalitarian civilizations gender wise. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Take no offense my young friend. (Sarcasm included) But that is coming from a man's point of view. To this day, I am treated differently than a man. And women have only been allowed to vote in my country since 1920. We were already long out of huts by then, My comparison is to the people on the planet that are still in huts for 30 years.

I'm not offended at all, I find the entire notion of "segregation" of the sexes in all forms pretty disgraceful. All I'm saying is that humanity only "jumped on" the whole "men are better than women" kick fairly recently (relatively speaking). If the impetus to create the segregation is gone, there is no need to think that such a system would exist in that world. In fact, considering the power that the females would initially wield in a rebuilt society based on such a (relatively) small genetic sample, it would suprise me more that the society isn't far more matriachal by nature.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Seriously dude???

I suspect we're about to parse the definition of "equality" here aren't we, sigh...

Women have been subjugated to a patriarchal society forever. There may have been brief, nano-second moments where women could inherit property and/or own property, but those were exceptions, not the norm.

The reason female leaders (Boadicia, Elizabeth I, etc.) are so well known is that they were the exception, hence the reason for their standing out in history. If they were the norm as you claim -- being treated as equals for thousands of years -- then you'd be able to provide endless examples of women rulers and legislators (where are the female Roman senators pray tell???) and warriors.

I'm not saying women can't be all these things, I'm saying history has prevented that on any scale approaching equality.