Review S2E17 - Common Descent

G

Graybrew1

I see. So what if they just didn't care about spaceships.
They had the stargate which is much more convenient.
Or perhaps they couldn't find certain raw materials they needed.
Or maybe they were working on spaceships but didn't get to finish them.

I thought about that too. If they still had the knowledge of their ancestors, they would know that the stargate alone is not enough. some times it does not work, and you can always find use for a space ship and all that. They came up enough raw materials to build skyscrapers, so how not space ships? And again? How run out of time? Build less skyscrapers instead? LOL

S

Stonelesscutter

I thought about that too. If they still had the knowledge of their ancestors, they would know that the stargate alone is not enough. some times it does not work, and you can always find use for a space ship and all that.

Maybe they did build a giant spaceship and they all left. :D

G

Graybrew1

Ok, I'm new to this forum so be gentle with me, please. I thought this episode was much improved and a decent twist on the numerous time travel episodes we've had throughout all 3 shows. I'm particularly curious to know who the mother of alt-Eli's son was but obviously the writers are leaving that one intentionally ambigious.

That being said, I do have one major problem with this episode and I'm surprised that no one else seems to have picked up on it (although I haven't exactly been thorough in my search of the forums so I may have missed a comment). My problem is that one of those measly little drones managed to blow a chunk out of a stargate. Sorry, I'm just not buying that. On several occasions on SG1 we have seen stargates remain intact after nuclear explosions, ships crashing into them and even a meteor impact. I find it hard to believe that one little drone could blow a whole in one. And the fact that this little plot device happened only to strand Eli and the others for 1 night when we knew that Destiny would come back for them all seemed a bit cheap. There's no way that Col Young is gonna leave that many main cast members behind!

Just a small little gripe I know but it kinda bugged me. In my opinion, the episode would have worked just as well if everyone escaped the planet first time and they spent more time at the end on the homeworld discovering what happened with the supervolcano.

Anyway, regardless of this I really did enjoy this episode a lot, in fact more than any I can remember in recent weeks. I just had to get that stargate thing off my chest! Ah, breathe... much better now!

Welcome to Gatefans.

I have heard the point made that these Stargates are very old prototypes and not as strong as the ones in SG1 and SGA. I have also heard that Destiny itself might be the ones that end up creating the Drones and so, they would know how to destroy the gates. These are not my theories, but I have not completed discounted them either.

G

Graybrew1

But I'm not talking about modern history here GB, I'm talking about thousands of years ago.

Yeah, I get that, but the people on the planet with tents only left the other planet 30 years ago, so they would assumingly be closer to our "hut days" of intellect as well.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I get that, but the people on the planet with tents only left the other planet 30 years ago, so they would assumingly be closer to our "hut days" of intellect as well.

How regressed were they when left the other planet?

G

Graybrew1

How regressed were they when left the other planet?

It is just an assumption. I don't know exactly how regressed they would be, but I imagine it must be decently if they are still living in tents after 30 years. LOL

S

Stonelesscutter

Welcome to Gatefans.

I have heard the point made that these Stargates are very old prototypes and not as strong as the ones in SG1 and SGA. I have also heard that Destiny itself might be the ones that end up creating the Drones and so, they would know how to destroy the gates. These are not my theories, but I have not completed discounted them either.

Who ever did make the argument that Destiny created the drones? That's just plain ignorant.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Who ever did make the argument that Destiny created the drones? That's just plain ignorant.
Why?
is it so far fetched for you to think the people of novus could have created them? there was "rising political tension" remember? now personally i doubt thet this is the case but imo it would be a nice twist.

G

Graybrew1

Why?
is it so far fetched for you to think the people of novus could have created them? there was "rising political tension" remember? now personally i doubt thet this is the case but imo it would be a nice twist.

I agree, I have not discounted it as a possiblity , but I don't think they are going that route. I hope not at least, it would be far too BSG to me. I hope the writers can at least write an original idea for the ending.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
That is one big assumption to say that they went through some 'dark ages' event. And even if they did, the scale wouldn't be on such a massive scale as to affect for so long and so drastically to actually take their level of knowledge back. I mean, even the dark ages here, they still retained some of the intellectual works thanks to the middle east. That's another point, the dark ages wouldn't affect the entire world they were living in. And right after the dark ages, there was a burst of learning and intellect with the renaissance.

And another thing, 2000 years ago, man on earth were still living in tents and did not even come up with the scientific methods and a lot of knowledge. The peak of their knowledge would have been greek and egyptian knowledge. 2000 years ago for these colony village idiots would have been the knowledge we have currently. In 2000 years, they have not advanced beyond the civilization we live in now beyond merely skyscrapers? All advanced civilizations seek space travel. And it's not even travel, there's satellites for global communication and observing weather and climate changes and if there was a lingering petty rivalry between rush's peoples and young's, there would have been surveillance satellites. It's like they were all hit on the head and were made to forget all things space travel.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Whoa whoa whoa!

That is one big assumption to say that they went through some 'dark ages' event. And even if they did, the scale wouldn't be on such a massive scale as to affect for so long and so drastically to actually take their level of knowledge back. I mean, even the dark ages here, they still retained some of the intellectual works thanks to the middle east. That's another point, the dark ages wouldn't affect the entire world they were living in. And right after the dark ages, there was a burst of learning and intellect with the renaissance.

And another thing, 2000 years ago, man on earth were still living in tents and did not even come up with the scientific methods and a lot of knowledge. The peak of their knowledge would have been greek and egyptian knowledge. 2000 years ago for these colony village idiots would have been the knowledge we have currently. In 2000 years, they have not advanced beyond the civilization we live in now beyond merely skyscrapers? All advanced civilizations seek space travel. And it's not even travel, there's satellites for global communication and observing weather and climate changes and if there was a lingering petty rivalry between rush's peoples and young's, there would have been surveillance satellites. It's like they were all hit on the head and were made to forget all things space travel.

Let's not get all logical about this now. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

Why?

It wasn't about the people of Novus. It was about Destiny creating the drones.
But I guess it would make for an interesting twist if it turned out to be the people from Novus.

G

Graybrew1

It wasn't about the people of Novus. It was about Destiny creating the drones.
But I guess it would make for an interesting twist if it turned out to be the people from Novus.

Actually , my point of argument about "Destiny" included all of it. Descendents and all, and all of Novus.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
... 2000 years ago for these colony village idiots would have been the knowledge we have currently. In 2000 years, they have not advanced beyond the civilization we live in now beyond merely skyscrapers?...
They probably had better cable television.

Seriously, though, this is a civilization that -knows- about not only gate technology, but come from having a history of being on starships and knowing that other alien species really do exist. One of the primary motivating factors of such a society would be to find out what happened to the Destiny, or see what happened to Earth. It really doesn't make sense that they'd stop at skyscrapers.