Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The funny part is Doc, Murphy, Addy, 10K and Citizen Z all had OOB experiences. It was tastefully done and fed us new info on all of them without bogging the episode down.

Im still catching up. on season 1. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Woops! Don't worry OM I put the super spoiler behind a shield.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Awww....Charlie went zed. :( I liked what was going on between him and Roberta. Im now at Episode 6 but Episode 5 with the Church of the Resurrection was awesome. Murphy demonstrating his immunity to the zombies as the Messiah was just too awesome...:) Charlie being gone leaves a hole in the cast. :( I hope it moves forward well.

Back to Episode 7

Awesome. Roberta has turned her pain of losing Charlie into rage, and the zombies stand no chance. She has grief...with an attitude. Loving her in this show. And the kid 10,000 looks like he might have a new girlfriend, which we will probably see again. Mack and Addy on the motorcycle with the wave of zombies coming is scary....on to the next episode!

Episode 8

GREAT episode, but was the Cosmonaut a hallucination or was he real? :( I think I know he was a hallucination, but this was suspiciously like filler even though it was good.

Episode 9

Hated it. Mack and Addy and the dumb premonition/dream/psychotic episode...boring, dumb and frustrating. I will never understand why they made this particular episode. So she killed her mother when she turned. Why all the dumb Outer Limits theatrics?

Episode 10

Nuclear plant. Great episode. :) Made up for the last dumb episode.

Im all caught up on episodes 11, 12, 13 and the first episode of season 1.

This show is so awesome, because it is so much fun to watch and it has just the right amount of everything in it. I really hope they tone down the silliness though...the Shaun of the Dead level comedy is making it cartoonish. Also, Murphy....that storyline is going to have to come to a close eventually. Lets get him to California or wherever he is going, and move on to making the vaccine. I do not think I can go on for several seasons when them trying to get Murphy somewhere or another, with comedic scenes of him making zombies do stupid stuff.

Still like the show a lot though! I just did a marathon of the the whole first season last night. And I just finished S02E01. Lets rock! I do not see S02E02 in the torrents yet, but it should be there tonight.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Cosmonaut was indeed a hallucination. The point was Citizen Z was suffering from a touch of isolation dementia.

Interesting also in that I liked the episode where it all turns out to be Addy's dreams better than anyone here. I guess I like that plot device.

On the humor, they are not going to turn it that much down as it is an intentional element of the show. And I for one like the generous sprinkling of gags.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So you're more or less caught up? If yes then you saw that they spoke to the origins of the plague and such in the finale of Season 1.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The funny part is Doc, Murphy, Addy, 10K and Citizen Z all had OOB experiences. It was tastefully done and fed us new info on all of them without bogging the episode down.

That's right, even Mack had one near the end of the episode hence the episode title White Light. I really like that the director didn't linger overly long on the OBE's. It was just like a quick glimpse of something kind of ethereal for each person.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The Cosmonaut was indeed a hallucination. The point was Citizen Z was suffering from a touch of isolation dementia.

Interesting also in that I liked the episode where it all turns out to be Addy's dreams better than anyone here. I guess I like that plot device.

On the humor, they are not going to turn it that much down as it is an intentional element of the show. And I for one like the generous sprinkling of gags.

Actually that one I didn't care for so much. I can deal with a short dream sequence but the entire episode was a time loop/dream sequence. To me it seemed like a filler episode. I'd much rather they took the budget for filler episodes and put it towards episodes that advance the story for all the characters.

Incidentally, I suspect I'm not the only one who didn't care for the Mack/Addy story line as proven by the fact that they truncated the Addy female encampment story line and then Mack quickly got munched. I think the writers originally thought the pair would be more appealing than they turned out to be. They were rather boring and the writers had to do some quick fixing for season 2. So they decided to axe Mack and bring in the new guy. This is all just speculation by me though so take it for what it's worth. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I like the humor. :) But they are turning it UP not leaving it where it was. It can go over the top if they do not watch out. Everybody likes "funny", not everyone likes "silly".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually that one I didn't care for so much. I can deal with a short dream sequence but the entire episode was a time loop/dream sequence. To me it seemed like a filler episode. I'd much rather they took the budget for filler episodes and put it towards episodes that advance the story for all the characters.

Incidentally, I suspect I'm not the only one who didn't care for the Mack/Addy story line as proven by the fact that they truncated the Addy female encampment story line and then Mack quickly got munched. I think the writers originally thought the pair would be more appealing than they turned out to be. They were rather boring and the writers had to do some quick fixing for season 2. So they decided to axe Mack and bring in the new guy. This is all just speculation by me though so take it for what it's worth. ;)

THIS (bolded). It seemed like they did not know what to write, so they just passed around a joint and when they were done, they just made up the episode using a single zombie and a borrowed pet snake (what was the deal with the snake?). I think they thought that Mack and Addy might give them a spinoff opportunity, like "The Zombie Killer Couple". But those two are really boring by themselves.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Oxygen deprivation is one thing, but Citizen Z went through the getting drunk with the Cosmonaut thing, playing games and riding around in the cart. Why all that? It was filler. The oxygen reclamation system malfunctioned, and needed to be fixed. Why did they get all Outer Limits with it? I do not want them to make this show so that when things happen, you are not sure of they are real or dreamed up.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Knowing these writers, they may never have had any long term plans for anyone except Murphy because his condition is driving the current storyline.

By the way, did you also dislike the episode in TNG where they did this exact thing (with Riker - TNG Frame of Mind)?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oxygen deprivation is one thing, but Citizen Z went through the getting drunk with the Cosmonaut thing, playing games and riding around in the cart. Why all that? It was filler. The oxygen reclamation system malfunctioned, and needed to be fixed. Why did they get all Outer Limits with it? I do not want them to make this show so that when things happen, you are not sure of they are real or dreamed up.
It was a mix of oxygen deprivation and isolation dementia. Fortunately he snapped out of it in time.

I don't think it's filler. I think they are running two developing stories parallel to each other. One is the group and Murphy and the second is Citizen Z trying to help them while also surviving alone and isolated.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was a mix of oxygen deprivation and isolation dementia. Fortunately he snapped out of it in time.

I don't think it's filler. I think they are running two developing stories parallel to each other. One is the group and Murphy and the second is Citizen Z trying to help them while also surviving alone and isolated.

The oxygen reclamation system malfunctioned and needed to be reactivated. It took an ENTIRE EPISODE to do that, and a whole lot of WTH? in between. It was interesting for a few minutes, but when the episode was over I was eye rolling. "Oh, so it was a hallucination, okay *eyeroll*"

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I am getting ready to watch S02E02, since it showed up on my source. Ill come back when done...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The oxygen reclamation system malfunction and needed to be reactivated. It took an ENTIRE EPISODE to do that, and a whole lot of WTH? in between. It was interesting for a few minutes, but when the episode was over I was eye rolling. "Oh, so it was a hallucination, okay *eyeroll*"

It was the B story in an A/B story episode. Plus it told us more about Citizen Z.

Pacific Rim used a similar device to fill in Mako's backstory when she started chasing the rabbit in the Gypsy Danger tests.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mack is gone, meh....good episode. The new guy is a good addition. Is the girl a full zombie or partial? She seems to be able to turn people with bites, and can survive being shot.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Cassandra was turned by Murphy in the Season One finale. She was dying from blood poisoning from an infected wound and he bit her. So she has some of his properties (like still being sentient).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cassandra was turned by Murphy in the Season One finale. She was dying from blood poisoning from an infected wound and he bit her. So she has some of his properties (like still being sentient).

Yes, Cassandra. I remember all of that. But she seems different than either Murphy or the ones he bit at the pharmaceutical plant to control them. He bit her on the face to "save" her, I get that. But her bites turn people and Murphy's do not.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She was a first - Murphy bit someone after death. Maybe this is what it creates.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Knowing these writers, they may never have had any long term plans for anyone except Murphy because his condition is driving the current storyline.

By the way, did you also dislike the episode in TNG where they did this exact thing (with Riker - TNG Frame of Mind)?

I barely remember that episode to be honest. Keep in mind you're referencing an episode from a show over 20 years ago. So my issue is with what is now a tired, worn out writing gimmick.