Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, actually they're trying to get Murphy to the biolab in California. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, actually they're trying to get Murphy to the biolab in California. :)

Okay...the point is that they have a clear goal in mind. They totally satisfy my need to see zeds killed. TWD and FTWD both fill in with too much drama and dumb soap dialogue.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay...the point is that they have a clear goal in mind. They totally satisfy my need to see zeds killed. TWD and FTWD both fill in with too much drama and dumb soap dialogue.

That's why this show, despite being cheaply produced, is entertaining -- they keep the pace moving. The contrast between the pacing on this show verses The Walking Dull is really eye opening. Z Nation proves that TWD could be done much, much better than it actually is.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
When are the "raging animals" going to return as a genre? We had The Birds, Willard, Bug....movies about animals gone crazy. That would work these days. Imagine killer pigeons or carnivorous sparrows? Zombie dogs and cats? :)

Syfy Saturdays.

Bluce Ree

Im liking the fact that the journey is driven by them trying to get to Citizen Z.

Citizen Z is in the Arctic. They're trying to get to California where supposedly they can extract the antibodies from Murphy to make a cure.

Bluce Ree

Why does Fear The Walking Dead have the same abbreviation as F*ck The World Dead?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Citizen Z is in the Arctic. They're trying to get to California where supposedly they can extract the antibodies from Murphy to make a cure.

That sorta confuses me, but I get it. He is up there, but besides the dog...who else is there? Shouldnt the President have been there along with key personnel? All that awesome tech and 10 years of rations. I do not understand that part of the backstory. I want to see biolab in California.

Bluce Ree

That sorta confuses me, but I get it. He is up there, but besides the dog...who else is there? Shouldnt the President have been there along with key personnel? All that awesome tech and 10 years of rations. I do not understand that part of the backstory. I want to see biolab in California.

It's the Northern Lights NSA listening post. He's the sole survivor there.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's why this show, despite being cheaply produced, is entertaining -- they keep the pace moving. The contrast between the pacing on this show verses The Walking Dull is really eye opening. Z Nation proves that TWD could be done much, much better than it actually is.

The funnier part is every now and then they do speed the pace up on The Walking Dead. And those episodes are actually decent as a result (like when Carol went Rambo on Terminus). But every time it seems they figure out the desperate need to speed things up the show just sinks back into its usual torpid pace.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The funnier part is every now and then they do speed the pace up on The Walking Dead. And those episodes are actually decent as a result (like when Carol went Rambo on Terminus). But every time it seems they figure out the desperate need to speed things up the show just sinks back into its usual torpid pace.

What is Rick doing in all of this?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Usually he's crying...because he's out of tampons.

He misses Shane, he misses Lori, and Coral is all growed up now.

walking-dead-rick-cry-o.gif

There are rumors that they may munch him for the season finale.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Rick varies between a weepy shemale and a psycho, usually for no discernable reason.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

In the premiere of the show he was left behind as everyone else at the Arctic base bugged out. Their plane crashed though. He is effectively stranded solo at the arctic base but managed to find a dog to keep him company.

The Citizen Z story line can be odd at times because it's separate from the main story. Most of the time it's pretty cool though. They use his scenes to examine loneliness and the battle to survive alone, etc. The 2nd season opener actually had something cool happen that he now has to deal with. They torqued up the tension and anxiety quite a bit. Not sure what will happen in the long run as he's sooooooo far away from the "Get-Murphy-to-CA" gang. It would be cool if they got him together with everyone else at some point, although that would be hard to accomplish logistically.

Then again it's not Shakespeare and they do a lot of goofy stuff so who knows where things will go? At least the producers of the show are honest about it just being a fun time. They make no pretensions about it being deep and meaningful unlike a certain other zombie show that thinks it's a freaking Greek tragedy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the premiere of the show he was left behind as everyone else at the Arctic base bugged out. Their plane crashed though. He is effectively stranded solo at the arctic base but managed to find a dog to keep him company

I loved the scene where the zombie dog was trying to get his new dog pal, and he went all Rambo on the zombie dog. I was glad to see the dog had not gotten bit.:) The guy is nerdy and likeable at the same time.

The Citizen Z story line can be odd at times because it's separate from the main story. Most of the time it's pretty cool though. They use his scenes to examine loneliness and the battle to survive alone, etc. The 2nd season opener actually had something cool happen that he now has to deal with. They torqued up the tension and anxiety quite a bit. Not sure what will happen in the long run as he's sooooooo far away from the "Get-Murphy-to-CA" gang. It would be cool if they got him together with everyone else at some point, although that would be hard to accomplish logistically.

I like him. :). I like seeing him trying to cope and keep it all together. I am a little annoyed with the NSA tech they are showing, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Then again it's not Shakespeare and they do a lot of goofy stuff so who knows where things will go? At least the producers of the show are honest about it just being a fun time. They make no pretensions about it being deep and meaningful unlike a certain other zombie show that thinks it's a freaking Greek tragedy.

I love the balance they have with comedy and drama and action. The characters are lovable. I think it is cute that Citizen Z is crushing on the girl.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That was an interesting episode!

Very action-ey as Citizen Z's all points call to find Murphy basically leads to Colorado Springs turning into Dodge City at High Noon. Not so much on the humor front this time but some character insight along with a plot development.
Mack getting killed and Addy having to give him mercy

Citizen Z meanwhile started the task of eliminating the air transport crew who were all killed in the Episode 1 crash and because they had been frozen up till now they are actually "fresh".

Another good episode. Fast paced again, things happened and the story advanced. Characters did good too.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I kind of suspected they were going to do that to Mack because he isn't in the promo pics for the new season.

I liked Doc's out of body experience in this ep. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I kind of suspected they were going to do that to Mack because he isn't in the promo pics for the new season.

I liked Doc's out of body experience in this ep. :icon_lol:

The funny part is Doc, Murphy, Addy, 10K and Citizen Z all had OOB experiences. It was tastefully done and fed us new info on all of them without bogging the episode down.