Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So...I will watch it because you guys usually like good stuff. :) But how much have I missed if I have not seen any of it?

The second season just started last Friday night. You should be able to catch up easily. If I recall correctly the first episode wasn't the greatest but the show picked up from there.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Netflix has all of Season One.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why pirate if you already have Netflix?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why pirate if you already have Netflix?

Because I can play it how I want without having to come to it and find "Continue Watching"? I can make gifs from the videos, speed up the playback in VLC slightly to say....+1.5 and see 40 minutes in only 25 min of viewing time (with sound correction to eliminate the chipmunk effect...). Plus with just shy of a petabyte of storage space available, why not? I can call it up with XBMC in an instant, even if offline.

Any more questions? :biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I LOVE IT already. They get right down to it, right off the bat. These zombies can RUN! They look scarier too.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

:joy::joy::joy::popcorn:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pay attention and you will note that they also distinguish between "fresh" zeds and not fresh ones. The fresh ones are faster and stronger and such.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pay attention and you will note that they also distinguish between "fresh" zeds and not fresh ones. The fresh ones are faster and stronger and such.

No backstory other than the little bit in the first episode?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They do provide some more as the show goes on, but really they keep the backstory to just enough to make the story go forward.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No backstory other than the little bit in the first episode?

They're not hugely concerned with backstory, much like TWD. But unlike TWD this show is meant to just be "zombie candy". It satirizes the zombie genre so it's assumed that most viewers understand the standard back story.

Also, the show actually gets better the longer it goes on. And the best part is that there is movement! The story advances at a nice pace, unlike TWD. That goes a long way towards making it watchable.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I LOVE IT already. They get right down to it, right off the bat. These zombies can RUN! They look scarier too.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

:joy::joy::joy::popcorn:

The zombies don't retain the ability to run. As time goes by, they slow down. They actually DECAY, something we don't see in TWD.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you get caught up OM?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You'll get there....it's a fun ride!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For me, the idea of the backstory is kind of important. Nobody writing in the zombie genre seems to be trying to make sense of the REASON for people to be turining into zombies. But we always get the rules...biting turns people, dying turns people, headshots kill them, but body shots might not...so on. Im bored of that. At least in Fear The Walking Dead, we are seeing the beginning of the zombie thing.

When are the "raging animals" going to return as a genre? We had The Birds, Willard, Bug....movies about animals gone crazy. That would work these days. Imagine killer pigeons or carnivorous sparrows? Zombie dogs and cats? :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember the backstory does get more exposure as the season goes on. In fact, in the season finale they discover the cause of the zombie pandemic. Plus these zombies actually decay, and Murphy's ongoing story works really well within this context. He was revealed in the premiere to be immune and as the season progresses develops interesting traits.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show is SO GOOD! I love it. The characters are interesting and funny, the writing is light and full of action, yet is telling a clear story. I love the humor in it.

EDITS:

At episode 3 now.

Im turned off the Family completely. I really wish the Family was not part of this show, and the leader really turns me off. I wish I could understand why there have to be weird cults in these shows. The Fellowships in Helix and Under The Dome, what the hell?

UGH. Forwarding past everything having to do with cannibalism. I refuse to watch any of that. So, this episode is pretty much trashed for me.

I had to fast forward to almost the end to see the cannibal family leader killed. Funny, I can easily watch the zeds chasing and eating humans, but seeing humans eating other normal humans ALIVE is beyond my willingness to watch. I hope there is not much more of that in this show.

Starting Episode 4

Okay, the grunge crew is stealing the truck :facepalm:. Why do these shows have to show degenerate groups being disgraceful towards other survivors?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Note that the "Family" was disposed of nice and quick, unlike TWD taking 6 episodes to drag their somewhat similar story (Terminus) out. And likewise the episode 4 story plays out much faster. And the much faster pacing helps the show a lot. A key problem with both of the TWD shows is the pace is just way too slow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Note that the "Family" was disposed of nice and quick, unlike TWD taking 6 episodes to drag their somewhat similar story (Terminus) out. And likewise the episode 4 story plays out much faster. And the much faster pacing helps the show a lot. A key problem with both of the TWD shows is the pace is just way too slow.

Im in love with it again. :) I love the that the robbers got robbed, then the robbers of the robbers got eaten and the crew got their truck back. Im liking the fact that the journey is driven by them trying to get to Citizen Z. I think they are over the top with the tech he has at his disposal, but it isnt an eye roll. The pacing of this is great, except they wasted a whole episode on the cannibal family.

Episode 4

LOL! The Doc got the zombie stoned!!! :shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

Last edited: