Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't forget they even made fun of Sharknado:

Craig Engler has been on the corporate side of Syfy, but I think his calling is in writing and producing. If you recall, Craig is the man responsible for outing Stargate Universe as having gotten a two year deal from the beginning (exposing the false "renewal" claim for season 2). He has an opportunity to do some self-effacing ribbing of Syfy in this show. It is working! I look forward to this show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And tonight on Z Nation:

"The Heroes encounter a wagon train transporting survivors of the nuclear blast to safety; the Heroes go on a quest for a cure. Murphy is finally tracked down; the Zs are attacked by superfast zombies known as Blasters; and they are introduced to an ultrapotent strain of marijuana called Z-Weed."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And tonight on Z Nation:

"The Heroes encounter a wagon train transporting survivors of the nuclear blast to safety; the Heroes go on a quest for a cure. Murphy is finally tracked down; the Zs are attacked by superfast zombies known as Blasters; and they are introduced to an ultrapotent strain of marijuana called Z-Weed."

THIS, I gotta see!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Here's a better sneak peak. Looks like they're going somewhere interesting with Murphy and his abilities.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Two different previews. One on Murphy and one on the doobs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When you guys watch it...NO SPOILERS!!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, how to recap it without spoilers....

Really nice episode...added to our knowledge of a lot of different things and characters and did it all really efficiently. Some parts quite funny and others quite intense. Definitely another quality toy in the growing Z Nation line.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They did a lot of moving vehicle FX in this episode (as opposed to CGI) but unfortunately that's not where this show shines. It definitely had a cheap SyFy channel feel to it I thought. That said, I'm not complaining because A.) it is a SyFy show and doesn't claim to be anything else, and B.) there was good dialogue for the most part. Next weeks episode looks like it will have some rather funny moments.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Kinda like "Cheech and Chong meets The Road Warrior".... :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Are we still under a spoiler injunction?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good!

Overall nice installment. We learned more about our heroes. Murphy had a bunch of good moments and I liked the very ending when in the car Cassandra started giving the obnoxious guy in the car "that" look...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good!

Overall nice installment. We learned more about our heroes. Murphy had a bunch of good moments and I liked the very ending when in the car Cassandra started giving the obnoxious guy in the car "that" look...

He is the "sandwich". :) I loved the weed parts, like when they were in the car smoking and Custer came to the window like a cop. All that smoke billowing out just cracked me up! Cassandra is one of my favorite characters even though she hardly says anything. That outfit makes her seem just the more silly, perfect for her part. I liked the vehicle chases, and that reminded me of Mad Max in some way. Im not sure what to to say about the blasters...why introduce them? The regular zeds were enough...but they are here, so ok then! Next week's episode promises to be fun.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think the Blasters were just a one-episode plot device in regards to the radiation zone from the bomb(s). The writers were definitely modeling the style of that particular episode on the Road Warrior movies and the Fallout video games (and maybe Borderlands). It was something of a pastiche you could say.

And so far they've managed to keep the pot references comical. Hopefully they won't overdo them to the point that it gets tedious. Granted, next weeks episode looks like it's all about pot, but with luck it will be funny and advance the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think the Blasters were just a one-episode plot device in regards to the radiation zone from the bomb(s). The writers were definitely modeling the style of that particular episode on the Road Warrior movies and the Fallout video games (and maybe Borderlands). It was something of a pastiche you could say.

And so far they've managed to keep the pot references comical. Hopefully they won't overdo them to the point that it gets tedious. Granted, next weeks episode looks like it's all about pot, but with luck it will be funny and advance the story.

I am convinced that the writers (and also Craig Engler himself) are vaping some killer bud when they come up with the stuff in this show! They probably walk around the props, talk (and share the pot) with the cast, then it goes to print. :) It is fun watching the show high too. :smiley-laughing011:

The characters that are left are all so good, they cannot kill any of them off without throwing the balance off...except the new mercenary guy. I don't miss Max. I do miss Charlie, but with him gone, Roberta gets to shine brightly. This show is so damned good, mostly because it does what a show should...it entertains.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The characters that are left are all so good, they cannot kill any of them off without throwing the balance off...except the new mercenary guy. I don't miss Max. I do miss Charlie, but with him gone, Roberta gets to shine brightly. This show is so damned good, mostly because it does what a show should...it entertains.

Yeah I like that Roberta is the one in charge. I didn't mind Charlie but the show seems more streamlined without him. The core group they got going now seems good and I hope they don't kill anyone off anytime soon (the merc guy can stay or go). Although one thing I've got to say about this show is that I like how they don't shy away from killing off a main cast member the way a certain other zombie show does. They are decisive about cutting a character which shows that the writers have some balls (again, unlike a certain other zombie show).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It felt like a fusion of Cheech and Chong and The Road Warrior.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Is the spoiler injunction in effect?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Joe, are you stuck in the Matrix?

Post 170 /171 and 178/179................