Who's responsible for the end of Stargate?

Who is to blame for the end of Stargate?

• Total voters

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I think the Stargate franchise will be ripe for some kind of reboot within five or ten years or so. I don't want Wright and Cooper to get back to doing it since they've simply gotten too full of themselves, and I don't want Devlin and Emmerich to be in the drivers seat either since the 1994 movie was honestly pretty mediocre anyways, just like the vast majority of everything they've made.

Nope, I say let's get back to basics with some new creative people at the helm.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Hopefully not Abrams and his crew, even though I like Fringe. Their buildups are pretty good for the most part, but the climaxes/resolution are pretty disappointing and their storytelling is over-saturated with intrigue/mystery to the point of dilution.

I wouldn't mind a Nolan-esque treatment of any potential reboot or Babylon 5-esque reboot.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I actually think I'd like to have someone less high profile take on the job of rebooting the whole thing.

Maybe someone like Tim Minear, who certainly has the experience from working on Firefly, Angel, American Horror Story, Dollhouse, etc. He's a rather good writer too, but as I learned while watching Angel S2, he has the tendency to build up your hopes and dreams, and then gleefully crush them to pieces (but in a good way).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Being in the middle of rewatching sg1-and having recalled vaguely that the DeLuise brothers were involved-and now seeing just how involved they were and taking note that some of the best eps are ones they directed. What happened with their involvement? Did it die out? Why? Were they fired, replaced, asked to leave the set?

Dont know, just IMO they seemed to have some good ideas and directing.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I actually think I'd like to have someone less high profile take on the job of rebooting the whole thing.

Maybe someone like Tim Minear, who certainly has the experience from working on Firefly, Angel, American Horror Story, Dollhouse, etc. He's a rather good writer too, but as I learned while watching Angel S2, he has the tendency to build up your hopes and dreams, and then gleefully crush them to pieces (but in a good way).
Doesn't have to be them exactly but like the general sorta imitation of those two, kinda like how Mendes was influenced with his Skyfall. Yeah, that's a good idea. Angel was excellent in doing heavy, dark stuff mixed in with likable characters and especially the humour. But I really didn't like it when 'Angel' tried to do an epic storyline like that whole season 4 (lol hated that season even though it had some gems here and there). But that's just me.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM ---
Being in the middle of rewatching sg1-and having recalled vaguely that the DeLuise brothers were involved-and now seeing just how involved they were and taking note that some of the best eps are ones they directed. What happened with their involvement? Did it die out? Why? Were they fired, replaced, asked to leave the set?

Dont know, just IMO they seemed to have some good ideas and directing.
Don't know who that is, can probably find them over at imdb.com

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Doesn't have to be them exactly but like the general sorta imitation of those two, kinda like how Mendes was influenced with his Skyfall. Yeah, that's a good idea. Angel was excellent in doing heavy, dark stuff mixed in with likable characters and especially the humour. But I really didn't like it when 'Angel' tried to do an epic storyline like that whole season 4 (lol hated that season even though it had some gems here and there). But that's just me.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM ---

Don't know who that is, can probably find them over at imdb.com

well, so far up thru season 5 the two deluise brothers had directed, creative consulted and produced quite a few eps

these things are -almost irritatingly apparent-when you watch the show like i am right now :icon_lol:

seems like they did a pretty good job--except the ep they made just for their dad "urgo"

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_DeLuise

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I liked Urgo :(
I dunno, I like the occasional silly ep, it gives context and grounding to the serious stuff.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

I didn't care for it that much at all either, but I think that the drop off in quality in season 4 was because of the departure of original showrunner David Greenwalt who left to do other things, and Tim Minear who left to become Firefly's showrunner after S3 wrapped. This of course resulted in a new showrunner being brought in, but the new guy was replaced as a result of creative differences just a few months into production of S4. And Whedon obviously had less focus on Angel during S4, what with Buffy entering its final season and Firefly starting up. I do think that things kind of improved once we got to the whole soulless Angel arc and Faith was brought back, but then Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy happened and they had to find a way to deal with that too. But of course after the S4 debacle we had the excellent 5th season, which in my opinion offered up some of the best episodes and storylines that we ever saw during the whole series.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I liked Urgo :(
I dunno, I like the occasional silly ep, it gives context and grounding to the serious stuff.

The funny ep's are fine, but Urgo was clearly nothing but "one for dad" by the Deluise guys. The ep added nothing to the overall storyline.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I didn't care for it that much at all either, but I think that the drop off in quality in season 4 was because of the departure of original showrunner David Greenwalt who left to do other things, and Tim Minear who left to become Firefly's showrunner after S3 wrapped. This of course resulted in a new showrunner being brought in, but the new guy was replaced as a result of creative differences just a few months into production of S4. And Whedon obviously had less focus on Angel during S4, what with Buffy entering its final season and Firefly starting up. I do think that things kind of improved once we got to the whole soulless Angel arc and Faith was brought back, but then Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy happened and they had to find a way to deal with that too. But of course after the S4 debacle we had the excellent 5th season, which in my opinion offered up some of the best episodes and storylines that we ever saw during the whole series.

Are you talking about the 5th season of Buffy or Angel? Didn't Angel only run 4 seasons???

And Faith was beyond annoying both in Buffy and Angel. She's good, she's bad, she's good, she's bad, she's psycho killer crazy, she's good again. :rolleyes: They milked her character wayyyyyyy too long. Same with Spike. He was a really good character but they just kept him hanging around forever and ever and ever. And then when Buffy ended they shoehorned him into Angel. Even David Boreanaz complained, stating that the show was titled Angel, not Spike.

Both were very good shows but both also had major problems. The season with Adam as the bad guy on Buffy was dreadful, just dreadful. The writers should be in prison for that one. And the season where Angel fathers a child and then a bad guy steals the baby and takes him thru a portal to another dimension where time passes differently and then the kid returns but now he's a teenager (aw, how freakin' cute) who turns on Angel and goes on to impregnate Cordelia with a demon child and -- (gimme a sec to catch my breath here...) Well, that season/story arc was so horrendously bad, so unconscionably stupid that whoever came up with it deserves to die of virulent ass cancer. So do the people that produced that festering turd of a season. It was truly horrible. I actually stopped watching the show for awhile because it was so bad.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Are you talking about the 5th season of Buffy or Angel? Didn't Angel only run 4 seasons???

And Faith was beyond annoying both in Buffy and Angel. She's good, she's bad, she's good, she's bad, she's psycho killer crazy, she's good again. :rolleyes: They milked her character wayyyyyyy too long. Same with Spike. He was a really good character but they just kept him hanging around forever and ever and ever. And then when Buffy ended they shoehorned him into Angel. Even David Boreanaz complained, stating that the show was titled Angel, not Spike.

Both were very good shows but both also had major problems. The season with Adam as the bad guy on Buffy was dreadful, just dreadful. The writers should be in prison for that one. And the season where Angel fathers a child and then a bad guy steals the baby and takes him thru a portal to another dimension where time passes differently and then the kid returns but now he's a teenager (aw, how freakin' cute) who turns on Angel and goes on to impregnate Cordelia with a demon child and -- (gimme a sec to catch my breath here...) Well, that season/story arc was so horrendously bad, so unconscionably stupid that whoever came up with it deserves to die of virulent ass cancer. So do the people that produced that festering turd of a season. It was truly horrible. I actually stopped watching the show for awhile because it was so bad.

Nope, Angel ran for 5 seasons total. The final season was the one where the gang took over Wolfram & Hart.

I sort of agree with you about Faith, however I found that during the arc when Angel went all evil and soulless in S4, she provided an interesting dynamic for the few episodes she was in, though thankfully she left after three episodes or so, since having her in there too long would've gotten old real fast.

Yep the one you're describing is the fourth season, with the whole behind the scenes mess going on. Granted it all started going down hill by the 2nd half of S3 with the whole baby/Holtz storyline, but it was still salvagable by the that point, unfortunately it was all run into the ground early S4 by having Connor do the nasty with Cordelia (somehow I think that's part of the reason why the new showrunner was fired... ;)). And I can't put too much blame on the writers for the whole pregnancy thing since Charisma Carpenter was pregnant in real life and apparently she waited until the last possible moment to tell the writers, which forced them to completely redo the planned storyline for the back half of S4 at the eleventh hour. But yeah, it was all pretty damn awful. Most of the times when I do the rewatches I actually tend to skip S4 all together and jump straight into season 5.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nope, Angel ran for 5 seasons total. The final season was the one where the gang took over Wolfram & Hart.

I sort of agree with you about Faith, however I found that during the arc when Angel went all evil and soulless in S4, she provided an interesting dynamic for the few episodes she was in, though thankfully she left after three episodes or so, since having her in there too long would've gotten old real fast.

Yep the one you're describing is the fourth season, with the whole behind the scenes mess going on. Granted it all started going down hill by the 2nd half of S3 with the whole baby/Holtz storyline, but it was still salvagable by the that point, unfortunately it was all run into the ground early S4 by having Connor do the nasty with Cordelia (somehow I think that's part of the reason why the new showrunner was fired... ;)). And I can't put too much blame on the writers for the whole pregnancy thing since Charisma Carpenter was pregnant in real life and apparently she waited until the last possible moment to tell the writers, which forced them to completely redo the planned storyline for the back half of S4 at the eleventh hour. But yeah, it was all pretty damn awful. Most of the times when I do the rewatches I actually tend to skip S4 all together and jump straight into season 5.

I did like the transition of Fred into Illyria I have to admit. I had grown tired of Amy Acker playing a mousy Brainiac so the new character was fun to watch. (One hilarious inside joke they gave her was the line: "...And one world with nothing but shrimp. I tired of that one quickly.") I wish the show had continued just so I could see more of that character.

Illyria.jpg

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I did like the transition of Fred into Illyria I have to admit. I had grown tired of Amy Acker playing a mousy Brainiac so the new character was fun to watch. (One hilarious inside joke they gave her was the line: "...And one world with nothing but shrimp. I tired of that one quickly.") I wish the show had continued just so I could see more of that character.

Illyria.jpg

Yeah I enjoyed when they turned Fred into Illyria as well, and the whole thing certainly showcased what a fantastic actress Amy Acker really is. I also wish that we could've seen more of that, since the whole thing with an nearly invincible demon god being in the body of a human, and experiencing trace emotions from Fred was something I felt they could've done something really good with. And Fred's final episode was great too, IMO. Sure, it's a bit uncomfortable watching because of the whole death thing, but man is it a well written and acted hour of television as we watch how Fred is slowly dying and fading away without the Big Damn Heroes™ being able to do anything to stop it.

Tropicana

Council Member
Was watching Ark of Truth last night - here's a contributing factor, the writing that has became pure laziness.

In classic SG-1, they would attempt to explain how the characters got something to work via technobabble.

Yet in modern SG-1/SGA, they don't even try anymore. They either simply go, "I'm pretty sure this was going to work from Daniel's time as a Prior" or "Yes, yes, that would work", "You sure?! "," Yes. "

Leaving u going, how?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:laughing::rotflmao::shep_lol:
*I* killed stargate.. there ya'll happy? if it comes back round again ill kill it again.. so there.

/ THREAD.

:lol:

:smiley-laughing024:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
*I* killed stargate.. there ya'll happy? if it comes back round again ill kill it again.. so there.

/ THREAD.

:lol:

Clever of you to make it look like BW and RC (and to a lesser extent JM) were the ones responsible. :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What every happened to Joe Mallozzi? I sorts like the guy. Im certain Brad Wright is a bitter old man now and is probably twice the size he was from eating away his sorrows. I wonder if Joe's girlfriend is still with him now that he has dropped from being an Executive Producer of a TV show to a comic book writer.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
What every happened to Joe Mallozzi? I sorts like the guy. Im certain Brad Wright is a bitter old man now and is probably twice the size he was from eating away his sorrows. I wonder if Joe's girlfriend is still with him now that he has dropped from being an Executive Producer of a TV show to a comic book writer.

From a quick glance at his blog I can see he's just talking about SGA apparently. Guess he's trying to relieve his "glory days" when he's found out than no one but Brad Wright will any pay money for his pathetic writing.