Who's responsible for the end of Stargate?

Who is to blame for the end of Stargate?

• Total voters

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
This is a public poll... there's a warning there before you vote. But no one needs to answer, I was just curious since I haven't seen a comment :)

i cant see who voted for what tho... so how is it "public" in that way?

EDIT: scratch that... i just saw how to view who voted for what :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
The general consensus seems to be the producers. Wonder if we could organize some kind of a response from MGM by making some kind of article to show there's much interest in the stargate franchise still and to push for a new series but with new producers. Syfy responded to gateworld's tantrum, we could do something like that but more mature and aiming for something positive.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
MGM as a organization will never publicly reply to the fans. We have heard nothing from MGM since the cancellation, and any statement from them will just be used against them, the same as it was used against Syfy.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't know, I felt syfy got the uh last word. But yeah, guess MGM won't do much.

Syfy has more to lose here. A massive backlash against them over SGU and the decision to have Wrestling on fridays would more like than not force them to move even further away from thier roots than people see them doing now.
Despite the spin, I really don't think that is where Syfy wants to go.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Really, I wouldn't have thought that SGU had enough fans to even register. I guess because I watch everything live and I don't pay attention to download #'s. It's all about market shares, as unhappy as I am about adding wrestling I do understand that it is a money decision. Just like SGU was a bad contractual decision, we live and learn. Even the line up for future series is just not that interesting to me. I won't watch Syfy until there is a better Stargate more in the vein of SG1/SGA, I will follow the Stargate not the channel.

mndbnks

GateFans Noob
Stone, Brad is a former actor. He isn't 'camera shy' or 'nervous' like you've been trying to put forward in your posts.

You'd be surprised at performers who are camera shy or nervous when it comes to interviews. But yeah what he said is clear. It's a clear case of distancing themselves from their fan base. I don't buy any of the crap about them needing more to keep shows alive on SYFY. They will say crap like that. Then go on how they are only a cable channel (and a niche one, but will say it's broad. LOL) So if that's the case then then their shows can still survive. I have no idea why they keep trying to have the level of viewers that would be found on the majors. If they want that then get some affiliates.

Also with online streaming like Hulu, Fancast (changed the name to xfinitytv) only supplement not replace TV viewership. It's sort of like how TIVO etc. doesn't really hurt ads, because even though people fast forward through them, they still have to see them.

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
I blame BW and the other PTB

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
I still miss SG I hope it comes back sometime but not Devlin's SG

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Jim is our resident grandpa. He's cranky, sits on his porch in a rocking chair with a loaded shotgun shaking his fist at us dang kids all day but he's got a big heart.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically ask yourselves who ordered the cancellation of SGA despite healthy ratings and who decided the way SGU was written - those are the murderers of StarGate...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Basically ask yourselves who ordered the cancellation of SGA despite healthy ratings and who decided the way SGU was written - those are the murderers of StarGate...

So, are you implying Syfy was at fault? I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. SGU was a double-down or nothing project, and it was DOOMED to fail without creative oversight from those who had made SG-1 and SGA able to achieve ratings at over 3mil viewers on a consistent basis. This even includes Joe Mallozzi, as well as many of the other writers. But Robert Cooper had a "grand idea" in Brad's eyes, and he decided to double down with what HE thought was cool and different, but it was a derivative boring fart in space. Im so not over losing Stargate because of it. :( But we will get something back eventually, a new and different Stargate. The idea and the story is too compelling to ignore. SOMEBODY will revive/redo it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm pretty sure both the SGA cancel and the goofy direction of SGU came from the parties you name.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So, are you implying Syfy was at fault? I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. SGU was a double-down or nothing project, and it was DOOMED to fail without creative oversight from those who had made SG-1 and SGA able to achieve ratings at over 3mil viewers on a consistent basis. This even includes Joe Mallozzi, as well as many of the other writers. But Robert Cooper had a "grand idea" in Brad's eyes, and he decided to double down with what HE thought was cool and different, but it was a derivative boring fart in space. Im so not over losing Stargate because of it. :( But we will get something back eventually, a new and different Stargate. The idea and the story is too compelling to ignore. SOMEBODY will revive/redo it.
I'm pretty sure both the SGA cancel and the goofy direction of SGU came from the parties you name.

This is a mystery? We had posted links to articles of Brad "I ate the set of SGU for lunch" Wright and Robert "Crap what have I done" Cooper saying they were going to put all their efforts into SGU and were planning to ditch the old Stargate series. Remember the whole "square jawed hero" bullshit?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is a mystery? We had posted links to articles of Brad "I ate the set of SGU for lunch" Wright and Robert "Crap what have I done" Cooper saying they were going to put all their efforts into SGU and were planning to ditch the old Stargate series. Remember the whole "square jawed hero" bullshit?

Oh yes; that is what I was alluding to. Beavis and Butthead caused SGA to get cancelled through their pulling all the resources off it and they were also the ones who came up with the ridiculous direction of SGU.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I still miss SG I hope it comes back sometime but not Devlin's SG

I feel quite the opposite. I'd love for Devlin to take the reins back on the SG franchise. It's high time someone breathed some fresh air into this premise, and God knows BW has worn his version out to the point of there being nothing inspiring left.

Three cheers for Devlin!!! :smiley_joy: