What Was the Last Thing You Ate/Drank

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Love me some pork rinds, but I only have them maybe once every 3 weeks. I really don't snack that much. Unsalted peanuts is probably my only other snack of choice.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Love me some pork rinds, but I only have them maybe once every 3 weeks. I really don't snack that much. Unsalted peanuts is probably my only other snack of choice.

I love them too. They are the secret to my crunchy baked chicken "breading". :). I even toss crushed, seasoned rinds in my salads and sometimes my homemade tomato soup.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
hmm crushed rinds in a salad sounds yummy.

Chicken ceaser salad with crushed rinds instead of bacon bits, a motzorella/tasty cheese blend to replace the parmisan and chipotle dressing rather than ceaser dressing.........

I will have to give that a go..........
Oh, and add some hardboiled egg.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
You Canadians certainly know how to put out a spread. One of the best meals I ever had was in Montreal at this French place down in the old part of the city. Great food, great wine -- I spent the rest of the night moaning on my bed because I was so full but it was worth it. :encouragement:

There's a REAL French place in Montreal? The closest thing I've had to french food in Montreal was a baguette with brie and ham. There is nothing french about Quebec.

Bluce Ree

OF COURSE! Those are THEE crunchy snack replacement in Atkins. At zero carbs, you can crunch them to your heart's content. A hint, you can get real cheddar cheese powder (dehydrated) and get a very close approximation of a Cheeto...but you know what it is made of at least! Still extremely low carb. :)

OMG these are just horrible snacks. Not everything low carb is automagically good for you.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There's a REAL French place in Montreal? The closest thing I've had to french food in Montreal was a baguette with brie and ham. There is nothing french about Quebec.

Let's put it this way, it was more French than I could find in my neck of the woods. :anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG these are just horrible snacks. Not everything low carb is automagically good for you.

Pardon the porcine pun but I'll piggy back on this and admit that I don't get the bacon fetish so many people have today. I never cared for bacon and rarely eat it. I find as a stand alone food it's not appealing and as a recipe ingredient in other dishes it tends to over power the flavor.

It's also loaded with salt and nitrites. This may have been a preservation method in days of old when they didn't have refrigeration, but it's no longer the 1800's and it's not necessary to consume dry, salty pieces of shoe leather as a meal these days.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They arent bad for you either...provided you are on a low carb diet. :) Cholesterol does not deposit on arterial walls when fat is being burned by the body for fuel. They might seem horrible to you, but to somebody who is staving off Type II diabetes or losing weight, they are a lifesaver along with nuts. My serum cholesterol was reduced significantly. Not much of anything high carb is good for anyone losing weight or on a low carb diet. ;)

Bluce Ree

They arent bad for you either...provided you are on a low carb diet. :) Cholesterol does not deposit on arterial walls when fat is being burned by the body for fuel. They might seem horrible to you, but to somebody who is staving off Type II diabetes or losing weight, they are a lifesaver along with nuts. My serum cholesterol was reduced significantly. Not much of anything high carb is good for anyone losing weight or on a low carb diet. ;)

Yeah but you're not losing weight anymore. You've been talking about hitting the gym, sculpting that body and altering your lifestyle a little but all I see are smoking threads and air packed snacks. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pardon the porcine pun but I'll piggy back on this and admit that I don't get the bacon fetish so many people have today. I never cared for bacon and rarely eat it. I find as a stand alone food it's not appealing and as a recipe ingredient in other dishes it tends to over power the flavor.

It's also loaded with salt and nitrites. This may have been a preservation method in days of old when they didn't have refrigeration, but it's no longer the 1800's and it's not necessary to consume dry, salty pieces of shoe leather as a meal these days.

But it is zero carb and therefore excellent for a low carber. The trick is not to binge on it or act as though you can eat infinite amounts of it just because it is low carb. Same with the nuts and cheese that are recommended. That weight I picked up in December is GONE. :) Low carbing literally saved my health.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah but you're not losing weight anymore. You've been talking about hitting the gym, sculpting that body and altering your lifestyle a little but all I see are smoking threads and air packed snacks. :icon_lol:

I am still losing weight. I am back to 180 down from where I was at 195 in December...and I havent hit the gym at all. :) Im going to stop at 175.

Bluce Ree

I am still losing weight. I am back to 180 down from where I was at 195 in December...and I havent hit the gym at all. :) Im going to stop at 175.

Bro, hit the gym. Quit losing weight just using food unless your goal is to be slim and weak. 180 is fine at your height to start pushing some muscle. The fat will continue to burn.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bro, hit the gym. Quit losing weight just using food unless your goal is to be slim and weak. 180 is fine at your height to start pushing some muscle. The fat will continue to burn.

My first goal is to be slim, first and foremost. To have no more than 15% bodyfat. Second is sculpting. I want to define my arms and upper body, but I am not really looking to gain strength. Even when skinny I am still very strong (naturally). I will go to the gym when I need to use the machines which develop upper body strength. I do want to gain muscle, but more for appearance than strength. :)

Bluce Ree

My first goal is to be slim, first and foremost. To have no more than 15% bodyfat. Second is sculpting. I want to define my arms and upper body, but I am not really looking to gain strength. Even when skinny I am still very strong (naturally). I will go to the gym when I need to use the machines which develop upper body strength. I do want to gain muscle, but more for appearance than strength. :)

You're going about it the wrong way. The only way you can keep losing fat your way is to sacrifice muscle as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is me right now (just taken). I am at about 20% bodyfat and 180lbs. Im 5'9" and low carbing. In December, I was 195lbs and my belly was protruding. trouble spots are at the arrows.

20140322_151650.jpg

Once the fat has been pared down where I want it, I will go back to the gym and start working on developing more muscle. I have done this before...last summer in fact!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're going about it the wrong way. The only way you can keep losing fat your way is to sacrifice muscle as well.

I appreciate your advice, but you are using your bodybuilding rules of thumb to draw from. :) I dont care about sacrificing muscle or whatever, until I have reached my goal weight (175). Once I am there, I will start building (rebuilding?) any muscle I have lost. This is the way I need to do it to succeed, and it has worked for me before. :)

Bluce Ree

I appreciate your advice, but you are using your bodybuilding rules of thumb to draw from. :) I dont care about sacrificing muscle or whatever, until I have reached my goal weight (175). Once I am there, I will start building (rebuilding?) any muscle I have lost. This is the way I need to do it to succeed, and it has worked for me before. :)

No, I'm not. This is basic fitness 101. Your method is fine if you're coming down from 300 lbs but you're not. You're trying to trim a pants size.

You're weakening your body structure. It doesn't just affect muscle but bones as well.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Even if you hit your goal weight, as soon as you go to the gym and building muscle, you are gong to go over your goal weight as muscle weighs more, yes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, I'm not. This is basic fitness 101. Your method is fine if you're coming down from 300 lbs but you're not. You're trying to trim a pants size.

You're weakening your body structure. It doesn't just affect muscle but bones as well.

Come on man...:) I know better than that. Low carbing does NOT weaken body structure or bones. Im eating the right foods, exercising (not in the gym) and the results are manifesting exactly as expected. Muscles will be sacrificed when the body is looking for protein to burn as fuel (catabolism). If I am eating enough protein, this does not happen and it isnt happening. The bones are simply not affected at all by low carbing. HOWEVER, drinking cow's milk IS destroying your bones, by making your blood acidic and forcing the body to leach calcium from the bones to neutralize it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

If I had no experience in this type of eating lifestyle, I might defer. But I have personal experience with it. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Even if you hit your goal weight, as soon as you go to the gym and building muscle, you are gong to go over your goal weight as muscle weighs more, yes?

YES, however at that point the weight gain is muscle and is far more dense than fat. I should end up at about 180lbs when done, but it will look like 175. But to show definition that extra fat you see in the picture has to be burned off. Going to the gym wont put fat back on.