What Was the Last Thing You Ate/Drank

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Come on man...:) I know better than that. Low carbing does NOT weaken body structure or bones. Im eating the right foods, exercising (not in the gym) and the results are manifesting exactly as expected. Muscles will be sacrificed when the body is looking for protein to burn as fuel (catabolism). If I am eating enough protein, this does not happen and it isnt happening. The bones are simply not affected at all by low carbing. HOWEVER, drinking cow's milk IS destroying your bones, by making your blood acidic and forcing the body to leach calcium from the bones to neutralize it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

If I had no experience in this type of eating lifestyle, I might defer. But I have personal experience with it. :)

Bro, you have experience losing weight. The low carb diet isn't what weakens the body, lack of exercise does. Resistence training is essential for both men and women especially at your age. I'm not saying you need to be a bodybuilder or even a fitness model but you need more than walking to keep the body strong. When you pass 40 you're also fighting against the forces of aging.

Catabolism occurs on a constant basis. If you think stuffing tons of protein is a magic elixir to anti-catabolism you're fooling yourself. There is no way you can stop your body from breaking down muscle with any diet. This is where proper exercise AND diet come in.

You can say whatever you like about milk or anything else I do or ingest to make yourself feel better dude. It doesn't change the facts. I didn't just wake up one day and decide to follow a fad or one single method to get here.

If my bones were being destroyed I'd be on here every other day complaining about ailments. Instead, I'm leg pressing > 1000 lbs. I'd say my bones are just fine.

I know you're obsessed with milk but your total lack of understanding of the entire regimen I follow leaves you only focused on milk for some reason and is blinding you to the entire picture.

Anyway, I'm not gonna change your mind because, obviously, you know best.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bro, you have experience losing weight. The low carb diet isn't what weakens the body, lack of exercise does. Resistence training is essential for both men and women especially at your age. I'm not saying you need to be a bodybuilder or even a fitness model but you need more than walking to keep the body strong. When you pass 40 you're also fighting against the forces of aging.

Why have you assumed I am not exercising? :) I am exercising. I have weights at home and a pullup bar and do my pushups and situps (not as often as I should, but regularly enough). Im getting some resistance training. :) I am not saying I refuse to go to the gym, I am saying I do not absolutely require it at the moment.

Catabolism occurs on a constant basis. If you think stuffing tons of protein is a magic elixir to anti-catabolism you're fooling yourself. There is no way you can stop your body from breaking down muscle with any diet. This is where proper exercise AND diet come in.

Let me see if I am understanding you correctly...working out in a gym tearing muscle up (intentionally) to build it is less catabolic than low carbing and burning only fat for fuel? I dont think so!

You can say whatever you like about milk or anything else I do or ingest to make yourself feel better dude. It doesn't change the facts. I didn't just wake up one day and decide to follow a fad or one single method to get here.

No, but you are a bodybuilder and how you do your thing and why you do it is much different than what I am doing and why. :) I am actually quite fit and healthy for a man my age. Im not following a fad, I am following a regimen which allowed me to change from 260lbs and pre-diabetic with high blood pressure to as low as 170lbs (last year) without high blood pressure or any risk of Type II diabetes. I followed the Atkins diet, and I believe I chronicled it in this forum somewhere. You have an AWESOME body and you look great. But you are doing things you need to do to build those big muscles and keep them. I admire you. But my goals are different right now. I have to keep fat off at all costs, even if it means sacrificing muscle. If I am gaining fat, then I am eating too much of something and my body is storing the excess as fat. Since changing to high protein high fat, I am dropping the weight once again and I feel great

If my bones were being destroyed I'd be on here every other day complaining about ailments. Instead, I'm leg pressing > 1000 lbs. I'd say my bones are just fine.

I wont argue that. But the fact is that cow's milk contains a calcium compisition which cannot be absorbed by the human body and it makes the blood acidic. The body will use calcium to neutralize it (wherever it can find it). If one is supplementing digestible calcium, then this risk is reduced. Im not complaining about any ailments. :)

I know you're obsessed with milk but your total lack of understanding of the entire regimen I follow leaves you only focused on milk for some reason and is blinding you to the entire picture.

Anyway, I'm not gonna change your mind because, obviously, you know best.

Not fair. :) Im simply saying that for you to claim that low carbing is weakening my body and bones without supporting documentation is not helping. Im not obsessed on milk, but when I claim that it destroys bones I can back that up with documentation. And like I said, if I had not been down this path successfully before, I might be less positive about the expected results. Im not arguing with you! Obviously, your methods get results! But my methods gets results too. Does anybody really have to be wrong here?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
On this forum??
Usually :lol:

LOL. :) The reality is we are BOTH right, in what we are talking about. Low carbing is a personally (and clinically) proven method to accomplish what I am trying to do, and bodybuilding the way Bluce is doing is obviously getting the results he wants. :)

Bluce Ree

Lert me see if I am understanding you correctly...working out in a gym tearing muscle up (intentionally) to build it is less catabolic than low carbing and burning only fat for fuel? I dont think so!

And this is where we realize this conversation and your understanding of fitness and health and body mechanics have reached a dead end, so, I'll stop wasting my time and yours.

I'll just add a couple things. First, I never said low carbing weakens your body. You can keep pretending I did if it makes you feel better but it is there in black and white.

Second, you're the one who brings up your lack of exercise every so often, not me. I'm just going by the info you're giving, which includes you saying your Atkins is sufficient to slim before you start trying to tone up.

My focus may be bodybuilding but the foundation is fitness and health.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And this is where we realize this conversation and your understanding of fitness and health and body mechanics have reached a dead end, so, I'll stop wasting my time and yours.

I'll just add a couple things. First, I never said low carbing weakens your body. You can keep pretending I did if it makes you feel better but it is there in black and white.

Second, you're the one who brings up your lack of exercise every so often, not me. I'm just going by the info you're giving, which includes you saying your Atkins is sufficient to slim before you start trying to tone up.

My focus may be bodybuilding but the foundation is fitness and health.

The fact is we are both giving good information in the things we are talking about. We are both healthy. :)

Bluce Ree

The fact is we are both giving good information in the things we are talking about. We are both healthy. :)

Dude I'm just trying to get you to kick your ass off the couch because you're my bro but you wanna be hard headed.

What I did for my wife and my friend (both of whom you've seen pics) was not bodybuilding.

If you were here I'd have you looking like Shaun T in 8-12 weeks, which is the body type you're aiming for.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude I'm just trying to get you to kick your ass off they couch because you're my bro but you wanna be hard headed.

What I did for my wife and my friend (both of whom you've seen pics) was not bodybuilding.

If you were here I'd have you looking like Shaun T in 8-12 weeks, which is the body type you're aiming for.

Im open to it! But shouldnt I dump the fat first? I dont have that far to go. I can burn the fat off you see in that picture in little more than a week. :)

Bluce Ree

Im open to it! But shouldnt I dump the fat first? I dont have that far to go. I can burn the fat off you see in that picture in little more than a week. :)

If you're a week away then why stop. If not, an extra 5-10 lbs isn't going to impede your work and you'll burn it as you put on muscle.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you're a week away then why stop. If not, an extra 5-10 lbs isn't going to impede your work and you'll burn it as you put on muscle.

How does that work? I admit, I have not ever tried to burn fat AND build muscle, beyond what the Atkins diet had me doing. We discussed this when I was doing Atkins a couple of years ago. At that time, I was all the way down to a (too skinny) 170lbs which is supposed to be my BMI. But it does not feel right. 175-180 feels right and looks right. I imagine I will have to ignore weight when building, since muscle is so much denser. You know the look I am going for.:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
But it is zero carb and therefore excellent for a low carber. The trick is not to binge on it or act as though you can eat infinite amounts of it just because it is low carb. Same with the nuts and cheese that are recommended. That weight I picked up in December is GONE. :) Low carbing literally saved my health.

You can eat regular pork and/or any meat product to get the zero carb effect without the shit load of sodium chloride and nitrite. Plus bacon tastes terrible. Pork sausage is light years better in terms of taste and nowadays you can get fresh stuff, sans additives, at just about any decent grocery store.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How does that work? I admit, I have not ever tried to burn fat AND build muscle, beyond what the Atkins diet had me doing. We discussed this when I was doing Atkins a couple of years ago. At that time, I was all the way down to a (too skinny) 170lbs which is supposed to be my BMI. But it does not feel right. 175-180 feels right and looks right. I imagine I will have to ignore weight when building, since muscle is so much denser. You know the look I am going for.:)
Purge.jpg

binge-purge-1.jpg

Bluce Ree

As you grow muscle, your BMI tends to lean toward lean body mass and your bf % drops as a result. That alone only means more of your body mass is lean muscle even though the volume of fat may remain the same. However, more muscle mass consumes more calories. On a low carb diet, you will naturally burn more fat as fuel. Combining muscle building with low carb doesn't delete catabolism but you are compensating for a net win, meaning you're making muscle faster than your body breaks it down.

Bluce Ree

I wont argue that. But the fact is that cow's milk contains a calcium compisition which cannot be absorbed by the human body and it makes the blood acidic. The body will use calcium to neutralize it (wherever it can find it). If one is supplementing digestible calcium, then this risk is reduced. Im not complaining about any ailments. :)

I missed this earlier. It isn't "cow's milk" that's the problem, it's the pasteurization process, the act of heating the milk, that destroys certain enzymes that aid in its digestion. I don't drink milk all year around, just during certain times and I've been clear about why. It is high in IGF-1, among other things, and provides an excellent anabolic effect.

If you consume raw dairy, you get all its benefits. That means unpasteurized cow's milk WILL give you all the benefits claimed to it, including bone-fortifying calcium. You can find raw dairy at most shops that sell organic foods.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As you grow muscle, your BMI tends to lean toward lean body mass and your bf % drops as a result. That alone only means more of your body mass is lean muscle even though the volume of fat may remain the same. However, more muscle mass consumes more calories. On a low carb diet, you will naturally burn more fat as fuel. Combining muscle building with low carb doesn't delete catabolism but you are compensating for a net win, meaning you're making muscle faster than your body breaks it down.

Give me a week, and lets start a thread and get me on the Bluce POWER2014 Program! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I missed this earlier. It isn't "cow's milk" that's the problem, it's the pasteurization process, the act of heating the milk, that destroys certain enzymes that aid in its digestion. I don't drink milk all year around, just during certain times and I've been clear about why. It is high in IGF-1, among other things, and provides an excellent anabolic effect.

If you consume raw dairy, you get all its benefits. That means unpasteurized cow's milk WILL give you all the benefits claimed to it, including bone-fortifying calcium. You can find raw dairy at most shops that sell organic foods.

Big difference, unpasteurized. But I do not know of any markets here in SoCal that sell it. Whole Foods probably has it, but most people would not know why the unpasteurized milk would be better. I do use heavy whipping cream in a half.half water mixture to create dairy "milk", but heavy cream is almost 100% fat. This is in the Atkins book too.

Bluce Ree

Big difference, unpasteurized. But I do not know of any markets here in SoCal that sell it. Whole Foods probably has it, but most people would not know why the unpasteurized milk would be better. I do use heavy whipping cream in a half.half water mixture to create dairy "milk", but heavy cream is almost 100% fat. This is in the Atkins book too.

I don't get this country. In Europe, it's easily available and raw dairy is more regularly consumed than pasteurized. The EU even has laws and guidelines specifically regulating and promoting raw milk products.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't get this country. In Europe, it's easily available and raw dairy is more regularly consumed than pasteurized. The EU even has laws and guidelines specifically regulating and promoting raw milk products.

Its like the difference between distilled water and spring water (mineral water). Back in the day, Arrowhead used to deliver distilled water in those big bottles. It always tasted peculiar and that is because distilled water is unnatural to drink. So called "mineral" water is just "water"...the kind we are supposed to drink. Milk containing all of the original enzymes and bacteria is better than pasteurized. Who was dying all those centuries when milk was unpasteurized? :facepalm:

Bluce Ree

Its like the difference between distilled water and spring water (mineral water). Back in the day, Arrowhead used to deliver distilled water in those big bottles. It always tasted peculiar and that is because distilled water is unnatural to drink. So called "mineral" water is just "water"...the kind we are supposed to drink. Milk containing all of the original enzymes and bacteria is better than pasteurized. Who was dying all those centuries when milk was unpasteurized? :facepalm:

Exactly! They also have other methods of ensuring raw dairy is clean.

By the way, distilled water is just nasty for your body.

http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/drinking-distilled-water.html

Bottled water should be marked as "filtered", not "purified" (which is just another word for "distilled").

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly! They also have other methods of ensuring raw dairy is clean.

By the way, distilled water is just nasty for your body.

http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/drinking-distilled-water.html

Bottled water should be marked as "filtered", not "purified" (which is just another word for "distilled").

I learned this from my track coach way back in high school. All along, the regular mineralized tap water was always better to drink than distilled. Then, around 1985 they started marketing "Spring Water" (mineralized)., which is...TAP WATER!

Tip: Use 1/4 tsp borax for every quart of tap water to neutralize flouride in the water. Flouride accumulated ion the pineal gland and can calcify it. I drink filtered water (Brita pitchers) and the borax as mentioned.