Under The Dome - Anybody watching this show?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
after season finale-the show reminds me even more of a religious bent LOST

down in these new tunnels==they find? something akin to the elusive "source" of the island?

Has the whole town actually been dead the whole time and they have now all been given entrance to "heaven" with Melanie as their guide?

When Barbie and Sam and Lyle visited the other town, was it really their ghosts visiting the living?

Was Big Jim's wife really dead--like them-but had been dead longer (like Melanie) and she was another type of guide?

And if they are all dead-what happened to kill the whole town at one time?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if that is where they are going, but I don't really see where else they can go on another season

I saw nothing "sci fi" at all about this last ep other then it;s being "sci fi" in a Abrams/LOST type of way

it was a good well made ep, just not sci fi

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So uh--are you all just left speechless after that last ep heh? :icon_e_surprised: :daniel01: :vala-newanime016:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So uh--are you all just left speechless after that last ep heh? :icon_e_surprised: :daniel01: :vala-newanime016:

Okay, I loved the season finale. It goes without saying that they will be picked up next season. :) Having said that, I had several issues with the way the episode played out and what the implications are for the next seasons to come. I thought there were too many deaths, and of major characters. I thought they should have kept Rebecca and Pauline. The old lady with the food had a lot of screen time throughout the show but I never connected with her. Same with Norrie's black mother. I dont like that Melanie is now even MORE special. Not enough to bring her back from the dead, now she has to be a messiah too? Lots of issues going...

Its starting to feel a bit like Lost now. Maybe not?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I loved the season finale. It goes without saying that they will be picked up next season. :) Having said that, I had several issues with the way the episode played out and what the implications are for the next seasons to come. I thought there were too many deaths, and of major characters. I thought they should have kept Rebecca and Pauline. The old lady with the food had a lot of screen time throughout the show but I never connected with her. Same with Norrie's black mother. I dont like that Melanie is now even MORE special. Not enough to bring her back from the dead, now she has to be a messiah too? Lots of issues going...

Its starting to feel a bit like Lost now. Maybe not?

bolded= Uh yeah! Did you read my post above about how I said that perhaps they have been dead since the dome hit? Melanie as some type of "guide" that brings them to "heaven"

I mean, everything else that has happened=though scifi/paranormal has at least been "grounded" as an "earthly cause"

the way this ended-with Melanie-in her original death clothes-and with the bright "magical" light behind her-followed by a "final arduous journey" by the townspeople (that not everyone did take right? as if their souls were not ready to give up?) are all things that suggest a "religious" event

especially with all the references of "religion vs science" going on-Now that "science is dead" in town-symbolised with the death of Rebecca-they were allowed to leave their 'purgatory' of being in the dome-not quite dead and not quite alive-

they also made a "sacrifice required" with Pauline as "the lamb"

and the whole flashback thing and strangers being linked is VERY reminiscent of LOST

It is either religious OR it is alien

I am rooting for the alien

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
bolded= Uh yeah! Did you read my post above about how I said that perhaps they have been dead since the dome hit? Melanie as some type of "guide" that brings them to "heaven"

I mean, everything else that has happened=though scifi/paranormal has at least been "grounded" as an "earthly cause"

the way this ended-with Melanie-in her original death clothes-and with the bright "magical" light behind her-followed by a "final arduous journey" by the townspeople (that not everyone did take right? as if their souls were not ready to give up?) are all things that suggest a "religious" event

especially with all the references of "religion vs science" going on-Now that "science is dead" in town-symbolised with the death of Rebecca-they were allowed to leave their 'purgatory' of being in the dome-not quite dead and not quite alive-

they also made a "sacrifice required" with Pauline as "the lamb"

and the whole flashback thing and strangers being linked is VERY reminiscent of LOST

It is either religious OR it is alien

I am rooting for the alien

another thing

In my statements I forgot to address where and why of Pauline and later Lyle, Sam and Barbie in the other town

other then that the other town is real and alive and that they (the ppl from the Chesters Mill) are ghosts interacting with the ppl of the other place

then- perhaps that the other town is actually full of dead ppl but that town and chesters mill represents two different sides to a purgatory

that chesters mill is the "religious/humanist" side and that the other town is the purgatory of reason and science minded persons?

just flapping my trap here of course

but unless the answer is aliens-I don't see how else the story progresses

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
another thing

In my statements I forgot to address where and why of Pauline and later Lyle, Sam and Barbie in the other town

other then that the other town is real and alive and that they (the ppl from the Chesters Mill) are ghosts interacting with the ppl of the other place

then- perhaps that the other town is actually full of dead ppl but that town and chesters mill represents two different sides to a purgatory

that chesters mill is the "religious/humanist" side and that the other town is the purgatory of reason and science minded persons?

just flapping my trap here of course

but unless the answer is aliens-I don't see how else the story progresses

Remember, Barbie AND Melanie are from Xenith. They are brother and sister. Elder Barbie lives there, and the egg is there too. Where is Melanie going to take them? I dont think these people are dead. But I also do not know why the egg would give the Hands visions of the obelisk in Chester's Mill if it were not connected in some way. It wanted to find elder Barbie, and it allowed him to pick it up and carry it. Only the Hands have been able to do that. I think he is one of the hands and does not know it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Remember, Barbie AND Melanie are from Xenith. They are brother and sister. Elder Barbie lives there, and the egg is there too. Where is Melanie going to take them? I dont think these people are dead. But I also do not know why the egg would give the Hands visions of the obelisk in Chester's Mill if it were not connected in some way. It wanted to find elder Barbie, and it allowed him to pick it up and carry it. Only the Hands have been able to do that. I think he is one of the hands and does not know it.

i dont know=what if all of xenith are dead as well? like i said. maybe they are in their own type of purgatory...

i am just focusing on the recurring themes this season
they have primarily been-

the conflict between science and logic vs religion and faith
and, the reuniting of loved ones and the revelation of connections between ppl who didn't know they were connected (melanie and barbie)

also, the visuals and the relevance of occurrences to "religious implications" like sacrifice and 'trial'

why does melanie re appear in her original clothing while standing in front of a bright light (that heavenly light of legend)? Revealed only after the last "heroic trial" is completed?

like i said--i am hoping they will go with aliens :icon10:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

This entire show is starting to feel like an old Infocom text adventure. Zork, anyone?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well I'm enjoying it . Man that big Jim is a real sweetheart huh . I'm guessing no one ever had a problem with any of the cars they bought from him !!!

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I'm enjoying it . Man that big Jim is a real sweetheart huh . I'm guessing no one ever had a problem with any of the cars they bought from him !!!

:) :) :)

LOL! The only car you see running around in Under The Dome is that same damned Prius (product placement). Im surprised that Coleman and some of the survivalist companies have not come a runnin to put their shit in the show? :anim_59:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
LOL! The only car you see running around in Under The Dome is that same damned Prius (product placement). Im surprised that Coleman and some of the survivalist companies have not come a runnin to put their shit in the show? :anim_59:

more evidence that the dome IS IN FACT a waiting place for hell (purgatory):icon_twisted:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I love this show! :) This, along with Continuum, have been gems in the pile of poo that has come to TV in the past few years. :)

i gotta say (if i didn't before :icon_lol:) i was skeptical of this show in the first season; its was kind of corny and draggy-but it def. got better S2

i was only watching it because it was on before another show i was watching--caught it by accident

good catch :anim_19:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This show is produced by Stephen Spielberg and Stephen King is the EVP. Impressive. I actually like this show a bit...they manage to create the same dynamic as in the other formulaic shows but the premise works in this show very well. This show is in today times, has no magic or aliens or pew pew...and there is enough mystery and intrigue in the show to balance out the interpersonal stuff...some cool reveals, and yes, Big Jim Rennie is the most interesting character. But I do like Barbee and Julia and the other cast too.

Im watching the Finale episode 13 right now. Season two already approved. :)

bolded= yeah,season 2 kind of blew that statement away hey?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
bolded= yeah,season 2 kind of blew that statement away hey?
Yes, and I read the book during the end of season 1, and it became immediately apparent that this show was not going to follow the book after a certain point. The story has been stretched and now it is going in an independent direction from the book (with Stephen King's blessings and input, from what I hear), which means it will continue to be good, hopefully. Not liking Magical Melanie, but Im hopeful. :)

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Been watching this since the start, and it's pretty good, with one glaring exception.

Big Jim. He has become a standard cardboard cutout figure for "TV bad guy". I hope they write him out of the show permanently, and the earlier the better.