Under The Dome - Anybody watching this show?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
She was killed when she hit her head on the meteorite containing the egg when somebody pushed her. She was dead, not disappeared. She is compelled to protect the egg for some reason, but I believe Melanie floated up from the bottom of the lake intact when Julia tossed the egg into the lake. Like a minute later, Melanie appeared in the water.

Clearly the egg/dome has something to do with her re-appearance. Not a coincidence

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now they have a way in AND out of the dome! :joy::joy::joy:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
on my dvr didn't watch it yet

hopefully the way in doesn't involve fire,brimstone or the riders of the apocalypse

You will like how they did it! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You will like how they did it! :)

Just watched it, it was good. For the past 2 eps it has been getting better each go.

It is feeling more tangibly "sci fi" now--before it was inter-personal drama.
=======

I see the show now has its own "smoke monster" (ala LOST)

also, like in LOST, we are seeing "no coincidences (was even a line in the show this ep)" and the purposeful meeting of ppl far before the present day, like Barbie meeting Melanie when he was a little kid

--------------

So what/who gave Jr's Mom all of her visions? It is still giving them to her as well, whatever it is, it has obviously been around for quite some time

------------------

I think that whoever has taken over as the writer for the show is putting King to shame

Also, cool that Peter Weller is involved. He directed this ep.

I hope they keep it up

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Season 2 is "light yrs" ahead of season 1 for sure--hope it keeps getting better

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 2 is "light yrs" ahead of season 1 for sure--hope it keeps getting better

WOW! These writers could continue twisting and turning and connecting for several seasons and I would love every minute of it. :) Now, as quickly as the deus ex machina of the magic tunnel to Zenith and the magic doorway back appeared, they are gone again. What of the egg?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
WOW! These writers could continue twisting and turning and connecting for several seasons and I would love every minute of it. :) Now, as quickly as the deus ex machina of the magic tunnel to Zenith and the magic doorway back appeared, they are gone again. What of the egg?

going on a tangent of the "equal and opposite reaction" thing, I am guessing (hoping) that there is another dome elsewhere on the globe

perhaps the egg is at some 'midpoint'--if another dome existed?

Haven't really seen that the egg can move without human assistance--perhaps it is now in Zenith and they are "domed"?

They can write literally anything as happening next--the show is so far unpredictable in the way so many others now are, so we'll see

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What if the dome expands? A new dome over Zenith?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
going on a tangent of the "equal and opposite reaction" thing, I am guessing (hoping) that there is another dome elsewhere on the globe

perhaps the egg is at some 'midpoint'--if another dome existed?

Haven't really seen that the egg can move without human assistance--perhaps it is now in Zenith and they are "domed"?

They can write literally anything as happening next--the show is so far unpredictable in the way so many others now are, so we'll see

What if the dome expands? A new dome over Zenith?

hmm--we thought of the same thing at nearly the same time--interesting,

guess we are both "interpreting" the show in similar fashion

:smiley-laughing011:
--- merged: Sep 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM ---
I'm on S2E03 and this show is just awesome!

S1 was kind of iffy--like it could have gone all JERICHO-ish at any time--thankfully it didn't

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
hmm--we thought of the same thing at nearly the same time--interesting,

guess we are both "interpreting" the show in similar fashion

:smiley-laughing011:
--- merged: Sep 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM ---

S1 was kind of iffy--like it could have gone all JERICHO-ish at any time--thankfully it didn't

I really liked this last episode. It was dark and dreary, but then that was broken towards the end of the episode instead of prolonged into the next episode. Now we have the new thing happening with the dome...(no spoilers!). This show has managed to create the "I cant wait till next episode!" feeling in me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I really liked this last episode. It was dark and dreary, but then that was broken towards the end of the episode instead of prolonged into the next episode. Now we have the new thing happening with the dome...(no spoilers!). This show has managed to create the "I cant wait till next episode!" feeling in me. :)

i am wondering when the ppl will REALLY get tired of big jims crap?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am wondering when the ppl will REALLY get tired of big jims crap?
The book did not address that to my satisfaction, but this show stopped following the book after the first half of season 1 so I have no idea where they will take him. He is a great character! The show needs him. Junior seemed psychotic in the first season, what now?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The book did not address that to my satisfaction, but this show stopped following the book after the first half of season 1 so I have no idea where they will take him. He is a great character! The show needs him. Junior seemed psychotic in the first season, what now?

That is probably one of the only things that I do not like here, the way that the characters can change so much, like the town is a town of schizophrenics.

The only ones who seem consistent are the ones not actually from Chester's Mills--like Barbie and his main squeeze (remember, she moved there with her husband not too long before the dome?)

But I guess it could be chalked up to being in that situation, a person's personality may change accordingly--who knows what the TPTB's are thinking on that

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just watched it, it was good. For the past 2 eps it has been getting better each go.

It is feeling more tangibly "sci fi" now--before it was inter-personal drama.
=======

I see the show now has its own "smoke monster" (ala LOST)

also, like in LOST, we are seeing "no coincidences (was even a line in the show this ep)" and the purposeful meeting of ppl far before the present day, like Barbie meeting Melanie when he was a little kid

--------------

So what/who gave Jr's Mom all of her visions? It is still giving them to her as well, whatever it is, it has obviously been around for quite some time

------------------

I think that whoever has taken over as the writer for the show is putting King to shame

Also, cool that Peter Weller is involved. He directed this ep.

I hope they keep it up

The green bolded couldnt be more true. The writing in this show is beyond Stephen King (in a good way). I will say the same for the writers in Continuum too. But this show is just so.....full of surprises! I wouldnt put it quite in the same category as Lost because things seem a bit more explained in this show, and the magical things that happen do not seem as far out there somehow. The way the characters are connected is awesome. And any of the "dead" ones can come back at any time to be the conscience of any given character. Dottie died in season 1, but we saw her and also Angie in season 2. Angie is still in the morgue isnt she? She could actually return. How will the egg get back? These writers could drop the dome in Chester's Mill and bring a new one up in Zenith and do it all over again. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It wouldn't be the first time screenwriters did a better job on a King work than he did. John Landis did a lot of the writing work for the miniseries adaptation of The Stand - the miniseries is better than the book because it flows so much better and by reducing the number of characters it allowed for better development and creating more consistent story threads.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Just remember here, Under the dome was started back in the 70's, when Steve was still writing subjectively "good" books.

As for the Stand, I liked the miniseries *because* it was a good adaption of the book and did not deviate all that much from it (the original release) All it did was cut a few bits that would not have translated well onto the screen.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, the Stand in its major elements hews close to the original book. However, it also cuts out some stuff and combines some characters. Add to that better written dialogue and the result is something that flows more smoothly than the book and the characters actually feel more complete.