Under The Dome - Anybody watching this show?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Definitely alien. Not much religion in this one....a bit, but not much. If anything, a mockery of it.
--- merged: Oct 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM ---

I have to click "More", then use the Advanced Search and it finds keywords within posts and not just the titles. :)

Got that but the fail I'm talking about is just when selecting to search titles only. It shouldn't hold titles to the same criteria as thread posts. That content never contains more than 6-10 words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Got that but the fail I'm talking about is just when selecting to search titles only. It shouldn't hold titles to the same criteria as thread posts. That content never contains more than 6-10 words.
There might be something over at the Xenforo mods forum we can use to enhance it. You have the credentials, I believe. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
There might be something over at the Xenforo mods forum we can use to enhance it. You have the credentials, I believe. :)

I do. I'll take a look, my bro! :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is a thread for it, I think shaved started it.

The other thread is not focused on this show. Its in the "New Scifi Shows" thread. :) Lets leave this one to talk about the show. Really, this show is worth watching! It has found the balance of an ensemble cast, "soap" action, mystery, drama and scifi better than all of the newfangled shows like Falling Skies, Defiance. Continuum is not included in this because it is clearly a cop drama/scifi amalgam. The ratings on this show for CBS and Amazon Prime are record breaking numbers. I can see why too. :)

Its not a blockbuster I MUST RUSH TO SEE THIS! show, but it is thoroughly entertaining and very low in the eyeroll category. No deus ex machina, no magical alien tech, no levitations or weird portals or time travel... I really loved the way they broght "Max" (a female antagonist) into the show, and got rid of her in only two episodes, cleanly and in a very satisfactory way. What an uber-BITCH she was! Same with the redneck Ollie. Now, its time to kill off Big Jim and keep Barbie and move on with the show. I have gotten the book already, and in the book the dome comes down eventually. This show I believe will keep the dome up indefinitely and stretch out the drama in the new society trapped in the dome. More looting, hoarding, lying and intrigue, and of course more "visions" from the dome. I like the way this show is not afraid to kill off characters after fleshing them out. Rose seemed like she would be there a long time. Same with Doty (Dora?). Are they really gonna hang Barbie?

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm pretty sure Rac is into this show. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well if they stay true to the book almost everyone in the dome dies. There, just saved you time.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I like the show . I am easily entertained since I am now retired for the rest of my life so any form of entertainment is fine with me . My fave characters for sure are Big Rennie , Julia and Barbie and well all the actors really .

That cow sliced in half would make me get the BBQ going first thing ,,,yum yum ,,,

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The other thread is not focused on this show. Its in the "New Scifi Shows" thread. :) Lets leave this one to talk about the show. Really, this show is worth watching! It has found the balance of an ensemble cast, "soap" action, mystery, drama and scifi better than all of the newfangled shows like Falling Skies, Defiance. Continuum is not included in this because it is clearly a cop drama/scifi amalgam. The ratings on this show for CBS and Amazon Prime are record breaking numbers. I can see why too. :)

Its not a blockbuster I MUST RUSH TO SEE THIS! show, but it is thoroughly entertaining and very low in the eyeroll category. No deus ex machina, no magical alien tech, no levitations or weird portals or time travel... I really loved the way they broght "Max" (a female antagonist) into the show, and got rid of her in only two episodes, cleanly and in a very satisfactory way. What an uber-BITCH she was! Same with the redneck Ollie. Now, its time to kill off Big Jim and keep Barbie and move on with the show. I have gotten the book already, and in the book the dome comes down eventually. This show I believe will keep the dome up indefinitely and stretch out the drama in the new society trapped in the dome. More looting, hoarding, lying and intrigue, and of course more "visions" from the dome. I like the way this show is not afraid to kill off characters after fleshing them out. Rose seemed like she would be there a long time. Same with Doty (Dora?). Are they really gonna hang Barbie?

Doesn't the janky acting of the 4 kids erk you? They seem like they are more like extras then main characters.

Anyhow, I do not know what more they could possibly do in the 2nd season other then stretch it out with "mechanical" eps; love triangles, and more "our hero is in a tight spot" type scenarios.

It reminds me a lot like Jericho; not just because of the small town, but also in the way the show is presented and the mainly "b" rated actors in it.

But I will continue watching for the same reasons I keep watching TWD- it has me hooked as to see what happens next.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Doesn't the janky acting of the 4 kids erk you? They seem like they are more like extras then main characters.

Anyhow, I do not know what more they could possibly do in the 2nd season other then stretch it out with "mechanical" eps; love triangles, and more "our hero is in a tight spot" type scenarios.

It reminds me a lot like Jericho; not just because of the small town, but also in the way the show is presented and the mainly "b" rated actors in it.

But I will continue watching for the same reasons I keep watching TWD- it has me hooked as to see what happens next.

YAY! The next season is coming on June 30, with a special "catch up" episode on June 23:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/06/03/under-the-dome-to-air-one-hour-special-look-back/

I thoroughly loved this show when it was on, and praised it for it's balance of storytelling elements and science fiction. And like you said, the acting of the kids leaves much to be desired. But the show was good when it was one, and it made me buy the book. However, this show is not telling the story in the book, not really. The story in the book could have been done in 6 episodes of this show as a miniseries of two-hour episodes. Even split out into hour long episodes, the story should have started and ended in a single season and that could have been that. In the book, the story ENDS, and in a rather disappointing way (if you hated Big Jim with a passion like I did). Stephen King is Stephen King, so I guess this is par for the course. :) But they are definitely milking the story and stretching it out. Kinda like they stretched out The Hobbit into three movies when it should have been one movie.

Looking forward to this!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I think I remember something about the showrunner saying the the show would not have the same ending as the book as to not spoil everything for those who haven't read it, at least I hope that's the case.

However I'm looking forward to the new season and really hoping that they'll get rid of Big Jim in some way, he's gotten so powerful in the town that he just has to come down now, otherwise it gets ridiculous. I wonder if they'll bring in a new character to act as a type of antagonist with him out of the picture and how they'll explain that what with the dome and all that. But a town like Chester's Mill must have at least a 1000 people living in it so it's not exactly impossible that we haven't seen everyone in the town.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
YAY! The next season is coming on June 30, with a special "catch up" episode on June 23:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/06/03/under-the-dome-to-air-one-hour-special-look-back/

I thoroughly loved this show when it was on, and praised it for it's balance of storytelling elements and science fiction. And like you said, the acting of the kids leaves much to be desired. But the show was good when it was one, and it made me buy the book. However, this show is not telling the story in the book, not really. The story in the book could have been done in 6 episodes of this show as a miniseries of two-hour episodes. Even split out into hour long episodes, the story should have started and ended in a single season and that could have been that. In the book, the story ENDS, and in a rather disappointing way (if you hated Big Jim with a passion like I did). Stephen King is Stephen King, so I guess this is par for the course. :) But they are definitely milking the story and stretching it out. Kinda like they stretched out The Hobbit into three movies when it should have been one movie.

Looking forward to this!

I guess King doesn't mind his stories being twisted and changed, stretched out-didn't that happen/happening with HAVEN as well?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think I remember something about the showrunner saying the the show would not have the same ending as the book as to not spoil everything for those who haven't read it, at least I hope that's the case.

However I'm looking forward to the new season and really hoping that they'll get rid of Big Jim in some way, he's gotten so powerful in the town that he just has to come down now, otherwise it gets ridiculous. I wonder if they'll bring in a new character to act as a type of antagonist with him out of the picture and how they'll explain that what with the dome and all that. But a town like Chester's Mill must have at least a 1000 people living in it so it's not exactly impossible that we haven't seen everyone in the town.

I would guess more like 1600 or more. :) No way have we seen them all.

I guess King doesn't mind his stories being twisted and changed, stretched out-didn't that happen/happening with HAVEN as well?

I am pretty $ure that $tephen King i$ doing thi$ for arti$tic rea$on$. :anim_59:

Last edited:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I would guess more like 1600 or more. :) No way have we seen them all.

I am pretty $ure that $teven King i$ doing thi$ for arti$tic rea$on$. :anim_59:

IIRC, King wasn't significantly creatively involved in Haven and other shows/movies but in this he's actually given his approval to the showrunners with the way they're taking the story and is actually writing the premiere episode of the second season. But yeah, he's definitely all in it for the ca$h.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

King's stories are twisted, convoluted and disorganized messes to begin with. If anything this show is making him look like a better story teller than he actually is.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
King's stories are twisted, convoluted and disorganized messes to begin with. If anything this show is making him look like a better story teller than he actually is.

Funny and I agree (side-- we should be able to have a "double rating" option...just saying) :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is so true!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG! This show is back...AWESOME. It is another Spielberg show, but this one does not have a Starchild. It has some youngish "special" children, selected by The Dome, but they are not over the top. The premise is mysterious, but not vague. I thought this was a great season opener. :) I love this, but now I dont really like his other show Falling Skies anymore. But they ruined Falling Skies by the addition of new elements that do not fit well with that show. This show is good the way it is, but they could easily ruin it if they throw something into it which makes your eyes roll.

Worth watching! If you do watch and like it, it is worth it to rewatch last season to get the full backstory. They actually show when the Dome went up, but they do not say how or why. In this show, that is okay...for now. I also got the book, and the show only follows the book 2/3 of the way and then deviates.

Last edited: