The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Gaming is the biggest problem with Linux...not just Mint, but any flavor. :( The dual boot solution rounded that out If you decide you want to set up a dual boot with Windows for gaming, I would be happy to assist you.

When I installed Mint 17, I installed it as a dual-boot with Windows.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
screenshot-window-2014-11-10-091727.png

:) :) :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I have noticed that Chromium has trouble sometimes with YouTube videos, and Firefox takes up too much memory.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Try Chrome. It works great. I use Firefox tho. Add more memory.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chromium is the Google browser for Linux, just as Chrome is the Google browser for Windows.

Actually, Firefox is the default browser for Linux. Install the Linux version of actual Chrome (It is still in Beta), and you can get it from the Software Center. It works great. It also plays Netflix with no adjustments. I would uninstall Chromium.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Chromium is the Google browser for Linux, just as Chrome is the Google browser for Windows.

No. Chromium is the project upon which Chrome is based. Chromium is 100% open source and has all the phone-home stuff disabled.

Both are available in Linux. Go to your software manager and search for "Chrome". It will come up as "google-chrome-stable/beta/etc".

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm .
screenshot-screen-2015-01-09-144950.png
Chromium is not letting me watch netflix . It worked fine in my previous install of mint .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmm . View attachment 30706 Chromium is not letting me watch netflix . It worked fine in my previous install of mint .

You cant use Chromium to watch Netflix anymore. The best solution now is actual Chrome. See the two comments above. There is Chromium with the blue looking icon, and there is actual Chrome with the regular red yellow and green Chrome logo. UNINSTALL Chromium using the software center and then install Chrome. Once done, it will play Netflix flawlessly.

Bluce Ree

You cant use Chromium to watch Netflix anymore. The best solution now is actual Chrome. See the two comments above. There is Chromium with the blue looking icon, and there is actual Chrome with the regular red yellow and green Chrome logo. UNINSTALL Chromium using the software center and then install Chrome. Once done, it will play Netflix flawlessly.

No no no! He doesn't need to uninstall Chromium, he can have both. I use Chrome to watch Netflix and Chromium for anything else because it doesn't play back my habits to Google. :icon_lol:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Thanks guys . I could not remember what we did last time . Old age and no memory runs strong in my family \\\

:) :) :)

Bluce Ree

hmmm . Software Manager is not finding Google Chrome . Only Chromium

:( :( :(

Search for chrome, not google chrome. It shows up right under the list of Chromium stuff with a Google icon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have had better luck with Firefox when it comes to running Flash.

Me too. But it isnt just Flash that is needed by Netflix, it is the DRM framework. Google has it included in the base install. Firefox will play Flash but not Netflix (without modification)