The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
When it is in the repository, it has been tested with Mint. I rarely install software GNU software which is not in the channel. Proprietary stuff, you kinda have to.

I'll manually update something that may not make it into the repository for a while if it has significant new features I need.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok . Thanks . I was just reading a few posts from kickass that said you needed the latest version of VLC to watch this specific download of humans . Probly works for windows I suspect . I will try other torrents then ...

Thanks

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Using the vmware unlocker, you can run Mac OSX 10.9 as a virtual machine (click to see full size).

Workspace 1_016.png

WHY anyone would want to run it as a virtual machine is another matter. You cannot run it in Unity, and it is a hassle to install vmware tools (although it can be done). I use it to test connectivity to shares and remote machines.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Does anyone know of a MIDI player for Mint that actually works?

Yes: LMMS is excellent, but you will need to use it with a USB MIDI interface (cheap):

https://lmms.io/

I have used this before, but I still like FLstudio better. This software is AWESOME, and it's free. :) It can do probably much more than you need, and has a sequencer. It passes for a pretty good FLstudio clone and includes some sound fonts.

Here is a demo of it being used with a MIDI keyboard (on Win8). The Linux version is identical:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So, here I am, having played with Ubuntu for a while. I chose Ubuntu over Mint because it is more up-to-date and has a far larger repository of packages.

However, Unity SUCKS. It is an unstable piece of shit. I am utterly baffled at how this made it into the "stable" branch.

I tried a few flavors of desktops, including KDE's new Plasma, which is beautiful in terms of eye-candy but riddled with bugs. It is so buggy it almost gives Unity a run for its money. Unity is based on GNOME which has far better desktop-to-application integration than KDE. However, neither of these handle HiDPI (any resolution above HD) very well. They are all over the map and totally inconsistent.

I ended up installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu and, I have to say, I am impressed by its consistency and stability. It handles HiDPI right out of the box without much fiddling. The only thing that annoys me a little is its handling of "snap to grid" icon arrangements. It only snaps to columns but rows remain free-for-all.

My Yoga 3 Pro runs smoothly under Linux, much smoother than Windows 10, which is odd given that Windows was pre-installed on this thing. It tends to stutter a lot under Win 10, especially when running Skype. Never happens under Ubuntu. It's possible that this is due to incorrect or, possibly, outdated drivers under Win 10 but, I reiterate, it was pre-installed and therefore should be best optimized under Windows.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, here I am, having played with Ubuntu for a while. I chose Ubuntu over Mint because it is more up-to-date and has a far larger repository of packages.

However, Unity SUCKS. It is an unstable piece of shit. I am utterly baffled at how this made it into the "stable" branch.

I tried a few flavors of desktops, including KDE's new Plasma, which is beautiful in terms of eye-candy but riddled with bugs. It is so buggy it almost gives Unity a run for its money. Unity is based on GNOME which has far better desktop-to-application integration than KDE. However, neither of these handle HiDPI (any resolution above HD) very well. They are all over the map and totally inconsistent.

I ended up installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu and, I have to say, I am impressed by its consistency and stability. It handles HiDPI right out of the box without much fiddling. The only thing that annoys me a little is its handling of "snap to grid" icon arrangements. It only snaps to columns but rows remain free-for-all.

My Yoga 3 Pro runs smoothly under Linux, much smoother than Windows 10, which is odd given that Windows was pre-installed on this thing. It tends to stutter a lot under Win 10, especially when running Skype. Never happens under Ubuntu. It's possible that this is due to incorrect or, possibly, outdated drivers under Win 10 but, I reiterate, it was pre-installed and therefore should be best optimized under Windows.

I am temped to go that route installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu, but my Mint install is a showcase of UN-Windows-ness and has been running flawlessly since installing. I was all Ubuntu up until Mint 17.0, and now I am in love with Mint. And yeah, Plasma looks good but all that whiz-bang has got to be glitchy. I remember when I installed Compiz on Ubuntu I could do all sorts of fancy shit with it but eventually it broke. Also, be warned that proprietary Nvidia drivers can actually break your x-system.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Completely given up on Linux and Mint. No matter what I do I cannot get Kodi to work . It was working for a bit but I could not get any addons to work such as Ares or No Limits build . Now Kodi won't even open . I have the icon and that's it .
Also a few months ago I was easily able to install the Netflix link Icon but now it won't work either . I also keep getting some updates that will not install .

:icon_neutral:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Completely given up on Linux and Mint. No matter what I do I cannot get Kodi to work . It was working for a bit but I could not get any addons to work such as Ares or No Limits build . Now Kodi won't even open . I have the icon and that's it .
Also a few months ago I was easily able to install the Netflix link Icon but now it won't work either . I also keep getting some updates that will not install .

:icon_neutral:

My Kodi works, but when I select some of the stuff that is super recent, it is bogus. The latest Wonder Woman movie menu item plays some damned cartoon Wonder Woman. But I tested some of my regular stuff like Babylon 5 and Star trek and everything is working. My VMware will not even open at all. That means no virtual machines. I did not start seeing this shit until I upgraded to Mint 18. I will probably install 17.3 again and start over this weekend.