The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Linux does not recognize my NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE video card correctly.

You need to use the actual package from Nvidia to use it. I ran into that problem too. :)

Go here and download according to your Linux version and card: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Then, after the file has downloaded, move it into your home folder root (not in a folder).

Go to your home folder and right click the file and say "rename". You are only doing this so you can copy the filename into the clipboard. Then open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-XXXXX(filename).run

After the driver has installed, reboot and you should be good to go. Let me know how this works out. :)
--- merged: Sep 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM ---

You posted yours before I finished my response! :anim_59:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I figured out my vid card driver today . AMD 7870 . Seems to be working as I can now change my desktop to 1920 x 1680 .

Woohoo !!!

:) :) :)

My audio card is another story . Linux and Soundblaster Recon 3D do not get along . From my search there does not seem to be a driver for this audio card at this time .
Right now the audio goes through the HDMI cable to the tv

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I figured out my vid card driver today . AMD 7870 . Seems to be working as I can now change my desktop to 1920 x 1680 .

Woohoo !!!

:) :) :)

My audio card is another story . Linux and Soundblaster Recon 3D do not get along . From my search there does not seem to be a driver for this audio card at this time .
Right now the audio goes through the HDMI cable to the tv

Is it PCIe?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You need to use the actual package from Nvidia to use it. I ran into that problem too. :)

Go here and download according to your Linux version and card: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Then, after the file has downloaded, move it into your home folder root (not in a folder).

Go to your home folder and right click the file and say "rename". You are only doing this so you can copy the filename into the clipboard. Then open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-XXXXX(filename).run

After the driver has installed, reboot and you should be good to go. Let me know how this works out. :)
--- merged: Sep 30, 2014 1:37 AM ---

You posted yours before I finished my response! :anim_59:

I could not get that to work, but I was able to use the Driver Manager to select the right driver.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could not get that to work, but I was able to use the Driver Manager to select the right driver.

Im glad it is working! Which flavor of Linux did you choose?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Linux Mint Mate version 17

You did not like Cinnamon? If you want to have both available, you can install Cinnamon and you can choose the desktop environment you want on the Login screen. :)
--- merged: Sep 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM ---
YouTube works fine, but Flash games cannot be run.

Interesting....the Chrome browser is not playing games for me. I will post whatever solution I find. Maybe Bluce knows a quickie?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Months with Mint, and Im home. :) I am in Mint most of the time and I no longer feel like Windows is my "center". It is never an issue to quit Windows when Im done gaming because I do not feel comfortable surfing the net while in Windows anymore. I do not have Office installed on the Windows side anymore. Just games and Vsee for home monitoring. When Im done, just being in Windows reminds me to reboot into Mint where "home" is.

Having said that, I still think creating a dual boot with Windows 7 gives a 100% completely satisfying experience for a Windows gamer who prefers to mostly use Linux for everything else. The Windows side feels like running a gaming computer on your machine, separately.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Unfortunately, there are no card games at those sites.

Gaming is the biggest problem with Linux...not just Mint, but any flavor. :( The dual boot solution rounded that out If you decide you want to set up a dual boot with Windows for gaming, I would be happy to assist you.