The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh nvm Didn't realize that banshee sync'd it. sweeeeeet!

Funny you should mention that. I just found that out :D

It will work with your iPod, your iPhone and any Android devices you have.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have now finished my dual boot configuration for Linux Mint 17/Windows 7 Professional. :) I purposely chose to use Windows 7 Professional for the Windows boot because the ONLY reason I am installing it is to use it to run games, and some Windows applications for video production that I just cannot do without. So, how did it go? Was it worth it? YES.

1. Games run without flaw in Windows natively. In Wine, my favorite games would run, but relatively slower and they had graphics glitches like models turning completely black, textures blanking out, etc. In Windows 7, the same game runs flawlessly with no glitches whatsoever on the same hardware. For me, it was Diablo III and Starcraft II I was evaluating.
  2. Wine will not run certain programs no matter how you configure it. For those, you need Windows so that you can run it natively.
I chose to purposely not install Office or Outlook or anything like that on my Windows install. I have populated the desktop with shortcuts to games, to remind me that Windows is there just for gaming. :)

NOTES:

Linux Mint's GRUB bootloader will be destroyed by Windows when it is installed. Using EasyBCD will not fix the boot issue, even when it detects the proper Linux partition to boot. At least that is what it did for me. I had to use the LiveCD to reinstall Mint using the same mount points and swap so that all my home folder data was preserved. When you do this, any themes and data you had in the original Mint install will be right where they were. You MUST use the same username and password you originally used.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I can help. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Which games are you thinking of? a LOT of stuff that has trouble under regular WINE (for example the aforementioned Winamp) runs with Crossover.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Which games are you thinking of? a LOT of stuff that has trouble under regular WINE (for example the aforementioned Winamp) runs with Crossover.

Fairly mature games like Starcraft II and Diablo II and Battlefield and Call of Duty. I even had trouble running an OLD game like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. They run, but not like they should. Im not just using Wine, Im using PlayOnLinux which is designed just for this sort of thing. Is Crossover free?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not free but then again it is rather a lot less than a Windows license and it is far more capable than basic vanilla WINE. They do have a free Trial so you can see if they do what you need before making any commitments.

You can also look them up in Crossover's compatibility database:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

I looked up all the games you listed and all show as either Silver or Gold. Those ratings mean that they should run. The badges also say whether the application is offically supported by Codeweavers or not. I have personally installed some pretty odd stuff that is not even in the compatibility list and had it run like a top.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not free but then again it is rather a lot less than a Windows license and it is far more capable than basic vanilla WINE. They do have a free Trial so you can see if they do what you need before making any commitments.

You can also look them up in Crossover's compatibility database:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

I looked up all the games you listed and all show as either Silver or Gold. Those ratings mean that they should run. The badges also say whether the application is offically supported by Codeweavers or not. I have personally installed some pretty odd stuff that is not even in the compatibility list and had it run like a top.

I already have several Windows 7 Pro licenses :). It wasnt hard to resize the 1TB drive into a 300/700 (Linux) setup. I have already installed about 12 games over the past three hours, including Starcraft II and Diablo III. I am so happy to have them back! Im installing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas with my special modded cars and stuff too. :) I wasnt finding any sort of emulated solution to this game issue. But with ACTUAL Windows in the dual boot, Im happy with the decision. I also use several video editing tools like MAGIX 2014 Pro, Virtualdub, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe After Effects, and some sound editing stuff along with some MIDI. It might just be familiarity which makes me want to run those on Windows, but whatever the case I have Mint for the daily stuff and surfing, and then I can fire up Windows 7 for games and video editing. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's cool. Remember that Crossover is not an emulator.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's cool. Remember that Crossover is not an emulator.

Neither is Wine...just my name for stuff that is "not Windows" (Wine, virtual machines, Crossover, Parallels, etc). The solution was actual Windows. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe a Crossover Linux test is in order for the benefit of those not in possession of a Windows license?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe a Crossover Linux test is in order for the benefit of those not in possession of a Windows license?

Perhaps...but Crossover for Linux is $59.95, for anyone interested in purchasing it here: https://www.codeweavers.com/store/#cxlinux

I used their search feature under "What runs", and found that Starcraft II and Diablo have a "silver" rating. PlayOnLinux is highly configurable and can load multiple versions of wine and install games isolated virtual drives. I believe the current price for Windows 7 Professional is about $150.00. But with it, you can run these apps natively. I am rather curious as to how Crossover might handle my test games. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember Crossover runs things natively too. And Crossover can be as cheap as 39.95 depending on the support package you include with it (click on "More Options" and you see the choices).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember Crossover runs things natively too. And Crossover can be as cheap as 39.95 depending on the support package you include with it (click on "More Options" and you see the choices).

Crossover is still a layer and not an operating system. No matter how Crossover is tweaked, it will not match a native Windows installation on the "bare metal". If I am going to integrate anything into Linux to run Windows, I prefer it in a closed cage (VMware, Virtualbox, Wine virtual drives, etc). How does crossover implement it's Windows layer? How much is Linux is accessible to it after installing? I did purchase VMware Workstation for Linux for this purpose, but without more RAM and a better graphics card, the machines do not run as well as a native Windows install for the games Im testing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Crossover is not a layer. It is an implementation of the Win32/RT API for OS X or Linux (depending on the version of Crossover). It is basically an up gunned version of WINE. It has a GUI but more importantly Codeweavers has added a lot more in terms of implemented APIs and how existing WINE APIs function. In fact Codeweavers run winehq.com and are the leading contributors to the WINE project.

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support_wine

As for your closed cages Crossover uses "bottles" like WINE but enhanced - makes sense since the bottle functionality was added to WINE by Codeweavers in the first place. Bottles can be built for a number of different versions of Windows (XP and every version thereafter including Windows 8) and they are reusable and even portable between machines.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Crossover is not a layer. It is an implementation of the Win32/RT API for OS X or Linux (depending on the version of Crossover). It is basically an up gunned version of WINE. It has a GUI but more importantly Codeweavers has added a lot more in terms of implemented APIs and how existing WINE APIs function. In fact Codeweavers run winehq.com and are the leading contributors to the WINE project.

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support_wine

As for your closed cages Crossover uses "bottles" like WINE but enhanced - makes sense since the bottle functionality was added to WINE by Codeweavers in the first place. Bottles can be built for a number of different versions of Windows (XP and every version thereafter including Windows 8) and they are reusable and even portable between machines.

Crossover is a layer, as I said. Wine is also a layer. It is a compatibility layer.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I guess WINE can be called a layer. I tend to think of hardware compatibility layers (as in emulators) when I think layer. My bad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess WINE can be called a layer. I tend to think of hardware compatibility layers (as in emulators) when I think layer. My bad.

That is why I still call them "emulators" when they are actually not :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hey kids . I'm on the forum with Mint 17 . I installed it to a SSD .

Woohoo .

I would like to have my machine as you have yours setup OM1 . 7 for games and Mint for real putering . Would you have time this evening ?

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Woohoo .

I would like to have my machine as you have yours setup OM1 . 7 for games and Mint for real putering . Would you have time this evening ?

Im here! If ALL of Mint is on that SSD, then our job will be very easy. My setup was on the same drive and required resizing the partitions. In your case, you have the install contained on the SSD which means Windows should be able to boot it after we set up EasyBCD. It will take all of 10 minutes. :) Let me know when you are available. I just got home from work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Woohoo .

Stuff to try right off the bat....

I did not like the green icons and all the green stuff in my Mint theme. So, I found a nice set of blue ones in the repositories. To install them, do this in a terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-brave-icon-theme

A nice blue theme to get is Metro or Metro-Pack. I am using Metro. Click the start button, type in Themes, then Get More Online. The system will fetch all of them before allowing you to select one to install.

Then, open your System Settings > Preferences > Panel, and move the Bottom Panel Height to halfway on the slider. Now, it will feel and look like your Windows 7 taskbar (non-aero, but semi-transparent).

Change the standard Mint start button with this one (or any picture) by right clicking the start button > Configure > Click the little folder to browse for your image. I used this one (the system will scale it properly)

mint_startball.gif

Here is what all of those minor tweaks look like on my computer. Note the blue folders and stuff, and the custom start button is installed (click to enlarge).

Screenshot from 2014-09-16 00:32:23.png

Last edited: