The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok so now I need to install VMtools ... It says when I start VMwaretools
it should install it but it has not ... I need VMtools to run XP I think ...

:) :) :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_28642439.html

screenshot-area-2015-08-03-115848.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok so now I need to install VMtools ... It says when I start VMwaretools
it should install it but it has not ... I need VMtools to run XP I think ...

In the menu under VM, you will see "Install VMware Tools". Then a disk should mount in Windows and you can install it easily. It comes with the tools already available in VMware to put into Windows.

Go slow here...unless you are more familiar with VMware. Give your machines enough memory (you have 16gb, so give your machines like...4-6gb of RAM). In networking, choose NAT (connected directly to physical network) and not Bridged. Try to not run more than one VM at a time. Even on your rig, running two machines each using 4gb of your RAM will be a performance overhead. Become familiar with VMware modes like Unity and Fullscreen. Have fun!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

No! Do it from Windows XP or Windows 7 or whatever VM you have created. Turn on the virtual machine, then go to the VMware menu at the top and choose VM. You will see "Install VMware tools" in the menu. The VMware tools enable the mouse to go seamlessly between your VM and Linux, to auto resize when you run the VM in a smaller window, to allow cross-platform copy/paste, to share the graphics card memory and features, and a bunch of other things. :)

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yup . Got it figured out regarding vmtools . Your right . It was under VM ...
Thanks man !!! This is friggin fun . Got 7 and XP up and runnin . More fun to come

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I have 32 gigs of ram ...
Yup . Just runnin one at a time . VMware is really nicely laid out ... I am just amazed to see 7 working correctly in VM and to see XP again ... XP is my favourite for Flight Sim ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have 32 gigs of ram ...
Yup . Just runnin one at a time . VMware is really nicely laid out ... I am just amazed to see 7 working correctly in VM and to see XP again ... XP is my favourite for Flight Sim ...

32? then you can cleanly run two machines or even three at once. :) VM performance is directly related to RAM and processor cores. with enough RAM, you can create virtual multi-core processors. For gaming, run the VM fullscreen and not windowed.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
32? then you can cleanly run two machines or even three at once. :) VM performance is directly related to RAM and processor cores. with enough RAM, you can create virtual multi-core processors. For gaming, run the VM fullscreen and not windowed.

Awesome . Now all I have to figure out is how to install the games into it . Haven't tried any yet ...
I have an 8core proccessor running at 4.2ghz . AMD .
Also how do I install virtual drivers for instance , the video card and sound card . I'm away this week but may have time to dwell into this next weekend ...
Thanks again OM
;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Awesome . Now all I have to figure out is how to install the games into it . Haven't tried any yet ...
I have an 8core proccessor running at 4.2ghz . AMD .
Also how do I install virtual drivers for instance , the video card and sound card . I'm away this week but may have time to dwell into this next weekend ...
Thanks again OM
;) ;) ;)

VMware tools should have taken care of the virtualization layer between the host and the VMs in VMware. Drivers need to match hardware in the VMs. The graphics card is shared. You can share devices with the machine under Devices. That will allow you to use joysticks and controllers and cameras and stuff. Go into Options and then Shared Folders to share resources.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Looks like I only had the Linux Mint 17 videoo driver so I went about today to install an AMD driver for my 7870 . Wow . It started out to be an overwhelming task at first having downloaded and printed off a 40 page documnent as to how to install a AMD video card driver in Linux .
First off I read the ducumentation showing me how to see if my system was capable to handle 3D . Which it was . I went into terminal and copied the instructions . Everything seemed to be in order so the next step was to find the right driver . I read more of the docs and it was really starting to confuse me . I decided to do a bit of youtube searching onto how to do this when I noticed one person saying to just drag and drop the exe into terminal . Hmmmm . So I downloaded the AMD driver file into archive , then extracted it to Home . I then right clicked the exe file , then to properties , then to permissions and checked allow . I then opened terminal , typed in sudo , then dragged and dropped the exe file into terminal and hit enter , then my password and bingo the exe began to install the vid driver . I have had no time since the install to play with video settings but I will on sunday . I needed to do this install to be able to run 3D games in my Virtual versions of XP and win 7 .
Also I thought it was kinda funny as this is the very first time Linux has had to do a reboot since I installed Linux Mint 17 around 6 months ago . My virtual Win 7 has rebooted so many times it makes wonder why I am even using that OS . Nothing else but games lol . What a joke huh . Big OS like win7 and I won't use it for nothing else . XP also will be for my older games .
Dragging and dropping a file was a big surprise and an unexpected one but it worked like a charm ...
Guess I will find out if it all works correctly this sunday ...
Like I said before ,,, just lovin Linux Mint ...

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looks like I only had the Linux Mint 17 videoo driver so I went about today to install an AMD driver for my 7870 . Wow . It started out to be an overwhelming task at first having downloaded and printed off a 40 page documnent as to how to install a AMD video card driver in Linux .
First off I read the ducumentation showing me how to see if my system was capable to handle 3D . Which it was . I went into terminal and copied the instructions . Everything seemed to be in order so the next step was to find the right driver . I read more of the docs and it was really starting to confuse me . I decided to do a bit of youtube searchig onto how to do this when I noticed one person saying to just drag and drop the exe into terminal . Hmmmm . So I downloaded the AMD driver file into archive , then extracted it to Home . I then right clicked the exe file , then to properties , then to permissions and checked allow . I then opened terminal , typed in sudo , then dragged and dropped the exe file into terminal and hit enter , then my password and bingo the exe began to install the vid driver . I have had to no time since the install to play with video settings but I will on sunday . I needed to do this install to be able to run 3D games in my Virtual versions of XP and win 7 .
Also I thought it was kinda funny as this is the very first time Linux has had to do a reboot since I installed Linux Mint 17 around 6 months ago . My virtual Win 7 has rebboted so many times it makes wonder why I am even using that OS . Nothing else but games lol . What a joke huh . Big OS like win7 and I won't use it for nothing else . XP also will be for my older games .
Dragging and dropping a file was a big surprise and an unexpected one but it worked like a charm ...
Guess I will find out if it all works correctly this sunday ...
Like I said before ,,, just lovin Linux Mint ...

That works because you have installed VMware Workstation. Parallels has the same behavior. If you download a Windows executable and double click it, Parallels will automatically open and use the Windows installation of your choice to install it. VMware however is a far more mature platform and has many more features than Parallels. YOUR rig should run your games full speed with no performance lag at all.

Linux Rulz! :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Running Linux, I have noticed that all of the YouTube videos are using HTML5. Is the same thing happening to Windows users?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Running Linux, I have noticed that all of the YouTube videos are using HTML5. Is the same thing happening to Windows users?

Youtube will now default to HTML5 when it detects the browser support.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes. Flash is dead. The key to playing the vids is your browser, Use Chrome.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My Mozzila plays YouTube vids in Linux Mint ... Linux Mint Rules !!!
;) ;) ;)

Mine does too, but you first have to activate Flash in it. Chrome uses the HTML5

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My Mozzila plays YouTube vids in Linux Mint ... Linux Mint Rules !!!
;) ;) ;)

I dont know about you guys, but my Firefox in Mint regularly hangs up and I have to Force Quit it. It is usually when I go to mainstream sites which have a bunch of crappy ads and floating windows and stuff. Im starting to rely on Chrome more and more.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I dont know about you guys, but my Firefox in Mint regularly hangs up and I have to Force Quit it. It is usually when I go to mainstream sites which have a bunch of crappy ads and floating windows and stuff. Im starting to rely on Chrome more and more.

I gave up on Firefox. Way too clunky and riddled with performance-impacting bugs.

Install ad blocker on both and the ads go away but that still won't make FF perform better than Chrome or Chromium.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm . Mine seems pretty good but I will try out Chrome and Chromuim ... There already installed . I was only using them for netflix so far ..
Thanks

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmm . Mine seems pretty good but I will try out Chrome and Chromuim ... There already installed . I was only using them for netflix so far ..
Thanks

I use Chrome (Incognito mode) for surfing now, and I do not sign in with an account.