The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Havin a prig of a time with installing VMWare . I downloaded the trial version and all instructions direct me to terminal install and to locate VMWare in Downloads which it is and I believe it is unzipped . I won't have time today but I will tomorrow to play with this some more . I am real gunghoe to get this working so I can use FS again . I am simulated deprived ,,,

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Havin a prig of a time with installing VMWare . I downloaded the trial version and all instructions direct me to terminal install and to locate VMWare in Downloads which it is and I believe it is unzipped . I won't have time today but I will tomorrow to play with this some more . I am real gunghoe to get this working so I can use FS again . I am simulated deprived ,,,

I will help you if you want.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So OM1 . How do I know for sure the program is unzipped and how do I get it to install ... :) :) :)

View attachment 31373

Do this (this is how I did it). :)

1. Copy the .bundle file to your home directory. NOT in a folder. The .bundle file should be by itself out in your home directory.
  2. Right click that file and choose "rename" but DO NOT rename it. You are going to copy the name of the file into the clipboard. Click away from the file and do not change it after you copy the name. (or just write it down)
  3. While in the home directory, right click and choose "Open in terminal".
  4. In the terminal, type this:
sudo sh ./(paste name of .bundle file)

Once you put in your password, VMware's installer will open and you can install it. Use all default values.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Having no luck here OM . I have no idea as to how to copy VMware to xclip or clipboard as you call it ... and then have it install through terminal .

:sulkiness::sulkiness::sulkiness:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Having no luck here OM . I have no idea as to how to copy VMware to xclip or clipboard as you call it ... and then have it install through terminal .

:sulkiness::sulkiness::sulkiness:

Are you on right now?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
  • Yup . Just finished dinner and watchin wayward pines episode 7
Im here then! First I will give you step by step. If that fails, I will call you and we can do a remote session.

Step by step:

1. Download the .bundle file from wherever. You should end up with a file with a name like VMware-Workstation-Full-10.0.2-1744117.x86_64.bundle
  2. Using your Linux file explorer, find that file and move/copy it into the root of your Home folder. NOT using the terminal. Use the file explorer
    vmware.png
    :
  3. Once copied there, right click on the file and choose Properties.
  4. On the Permissions tab in Properties, check the box that says "Allow executing file as program" . Save and close.
    vmware2.png
  5. Right click the file again, and choose "rename". When name of file becomes editable, right click and copy ALL of the filename, including the .bundle part. Click away and do not change the name.
  6. Find a blank spot in your Home folder and right click in the blank space (not on any file). Choose "Open in terminal"
  7. In terminal, type sudo sh ./(paste name of the file). It should look like this: sudo sh ./VMware-Workstation-Full-10.0.2-1744117.x86_64.bundle
The VMware installer should start after that. Choose all default options and do not change anything. After complete, add a shortcut to your task bar and that's it. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Still not working . Going back to wayward pines . Will fight with this later . My file looks different than yours . I think mine is not unzziped perhaps ?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-murrine

Then follow the instructions I gave, after doing that.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Apparently I already have the newest version of

Reading state information... Done
gtk2-engines-murrine is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33 not upgraded.

Trying all the steps again ...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok this is getting frustrating ... Now it won't accept my password . It's reading the file , then it ask for the password , then it says sorry , try again and then it can't open the file ...

I'll keep at it ... :) :) :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Finally ...Got it :) :) :)

When I was copying I was selecting all when that was not working . So I only did copy and bingo . It is now installing . Thanks OM ...Wicked !!!

Last edited: