The Last Ship - could've been worse

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why optimistic? Some here have been waiting for the show to turn soapy almost since it premiered. We're two seasons in now and nary a touch of suds.

So....you do not remember the suds in the beginning of season one?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why optimistic? Some here have been waiting for the show to turn soapy almost since it premiered. We're two seasons in now and nary a touch of suds.

tumblr_inline_mpbi2okbq91qz4rgp.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So....you do not remember the suds in the beginning of season one?

What? Two scenes whose total time might have been 5-6 minutes? Out of two seasons? And a single "ship" which not only was ended but resulted in disciplinary action.

I do think that our bad experiences with NuBSG and SGU may make us oversensitive in this area. A soapy show is one where the relationships drive the show. The Last Ship is basically an action show with the pandemic wracked world as the setting.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As to this season, they did better than I expected. The immune "master race" storyline was solid enough to provide a framework for what has been a nice season overall if also a very action-ey one. With that said, I hope the next season closes it out as the exact problem we discussed way upthread (what to do once the cure is found and is in distribution) will rear its head after either next week or the premiere of Season Three.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As to this season, they did better than I expected. The immune "master race" storyline was solid enough to provide a framework for what has been a nice season overall if also a very action-ey one. With that said, I hope the next season closes it out as the exact problem we discussed way upthread (what to do once the cure is found and is in distribution) will rear its head after either next week or the premiere of Season Three.

They could always ignore the fact that a cure has been found the same way that TWD ignores basic laws of biology (i.e. necrotic human flesh that magically doesn't rot away, especially after two years in the Georgia sun).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They could always ignore the fact that a cure has been found the same way that TWD ignores basic laws of biology (i.e. necrotic human flesh that magically doesn't rot away, especially after two years in the Georgia sun).

They could, but I am hopeful they won't. So far they have made a decent effort to keep things somewhat logical and consistent and in line with physics and biology.

As to TWD and necrosis, there are a host of other such problems like:

a) If everyone is a carrier of the virus then a zombie bite should not kill.

b) The zombies exert energy but don't have any way to take energy in. They are perpetual motion machines. Their eating flesh does not count because they are dead - so no metabolism and thus no way to convert that flesh into energy.

And so on and so on.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
so joelist- will it be worth my time to catch up on the last ship?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sure. If you like military action it is worthwhile.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What? Two scenes whose total time might have been 5-6 minutes? Out of two seasons? And a single "ship" which not only was ended but resulted in disciplinary action.

I do think that our bad experiences with NuBSG and SGU may make us oversensitive in this area. A soapy show is one where the relationships drive the show. The Last Ship is basically an action show with the pandemic wracked world as the setting.

I never said the show was soapy. You claimed "nary a touch of suds", and that was...misspoken. :) It was not that it was 5 minutes, it was the context of those scenes, particularly on a military ship actively on a mission after being given information about the pandemic. Even 1 minute of romance at the wrong time can ruin a story. Those scenes did not ruin the story or the show, I am just pointing out that they did go there with it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the whole romance occurred before they knew there was a pandemic. So the context is one where it could easily happen - and when it did and it came to light disciplinary action was carried out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually the whole romance occurred before they knew there was a pandemic. So the context is one where it could easily happen - and when it did and it came to light disciplinary action was carried out.

That was my point...such a thing could not "easily happen" on a that class of a ship. Maybe an aircraft carrier, but not that particular type of ship and not with that Commanding Officer. It was ridiculous from my point of view. These things do not happen, even today with no pandemic or war going on. It does not even happen on Coast Guard ships. The punishments are too severe to risk.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That was my point...such a thing could not "easily happen" on a that class of a ship. Maybe an aircraft carrier, but not that particular type of ship and not with that Commanding Officer. It was ridiculous from my point of view. These things do not happen, even today with no pandemic or war going on. It does not even happen on Coast Guard ships. The punishments are too severe to risk.

bolded and purpled= remember this guy?

freakin' sailors --insert smiley here since the emoticons still aren't working--

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/03/eric-massas-navy-files/37309/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And again at the time it occurred (and we never actually saw it on the show) there was no pandemic as far as they knew - it was during their polar mission and before they were made aware of the real state of the world. Remember they were out of the loop down there for months. As to whether it could happen of course it could. And when it came out discipline was levied.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Everybody knows about that stuff which was ALWAYS going on in the Navy. Closed environment, no women. That was when he was in.

it still occurs-at least according to the navy recruiters i worked next to

they would talk about these things--like an alien language to me--like there were "just stuff" that one had to put up with onboard ship, like rites of passage crap

anectdotally as both a soldier/nco in a field unit and as a recruiter putting in prior service navy to the army, i would hear some pretty out there stories about life on ship. things that made these guys leave the navy. they loved mil service and went to the army or other branch to continue on

i am SURE these incidents are few and far between

and yes, I know anyone can find examples in any branch

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah yes the rites. Crossing the Line was fun especially if was your first time.

As to the Navy culture, women have been serving in the surface combat arms since 1979. And they started in Submarines in 2014-2015. and yes it has led to some....um....really close military relationships.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season finale has been aired. And for 59 minutes it was really good.

The last immune leader was caught, the contagious cure has started to be spread and order is starting to be restored in some areas. St. Louis is the provisional new capital and Chandler was promoted to Admiral and made Chief of Naval Operations. Scott was pardoned by the new President (like I suggested upthread). They even noted a general plan for next season which will be dealing with unrest, rising warlordism, getting the cure out even more and getting it spread overseas. It even had the crew singing some sea chanties (always good).

Then....a lone immune dissident shot Doctor Scott. That was why I said 59 minutes of goodness. To me this was a "shock event" and utterly unneeded. End it on the high note. Plus, everyone knows it was renewed and that Rhona Mitra is still on the cast, so its not like she will die.

As to the ship, it ended the season about to move into drydock as they got beat up pretty good in the fight last episode with the sub. And they did mention the effort to locate sufficient trained personnel to perform the repair/refit.

Overall this was a solid season. I just wish they could have resisted the temptation to do that last scene for shock value.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season finale has been aired. And for 59 minutes it was really good.

The last immune leader was caught, the contagious cure has started to be spread and order is starting to be restored in some areas. St. Louis is the provisional new capital and Chandler was promoted to Admiral and made Chief of Naval Operations. Scott was pardoned by the new President (like I suggested upthread). They even noted a general plan for next season which will be dealing with unrest, rising warlordism, getting the cure out even more and getting it spread overseas. It even had the crew singing some sea chanties (always good).

Then....a lone immune dissident shot Doctor Scott. That was why I said 59 minutes of goodness. To me this was a "shock event" and utterly unneeded. End it on the high note. Plus, everyone knows it was renewed and that Rhona Mitra is still on the cast, so its not like she will die.

As to the ship, it ended the season about to move into drydock as they got beat up pretty good in the fight last episode with the sub. And they did mention the effort to locate sufficient trained personnel to perform the repair/refit.

Overall this was a solid season. I just wish they could have resisted the temptation to do that last scene for shock value.

Arent there any aircraft carriers or other undamaged ships like the one they have just floating around abandoned? Who will be manning the dry dock to repair the ship and why would anyone spend time doing it? Not hating, just asking...I have no idea how this season has gone with this show. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good questions. But right just now they need to repair this ship as they are at St. Louis, and they did mention the need to find the needed skilled workers and such. Plus in a one hour episode they can't really get into the whole state of the US fleet, or how to set up some type of working economy again.

If the plan is to get more ships up and running then they need to concentrate on getting to San Diego and Oahu and determining if any Atlantic fleet units are usable (as they discovered that Norfolk was not operational earlier in the season). Obviously with a pandemic with such high contagion and such there won't be enough personnel to get a lot of stuff running but do they need a lot?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The very nature of the show demands that they return to the high seas.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good questions. But right just now they need to repair this ship as they are at St. Louis, and they did mention the need to find the needed skilled workers and such. Plus in a one hour episode they can't really get into the whole state of the US fleet, or how to set up some type of working economy again.

If the plan is to get more ships up and running then they need to concentrate on getting to San Diego and Oahu and determining if any Atlantic fleet units are usable (as they discovered that Norfolk was not operational earlier in the season). Obviously with a pandemic with such high contagion and such there won't be enough personnel to get a lot of stuff running but do they need a lot?

I went back to the early pages of this thread and I see where I was gushing about it. :) First season. I stopped watching early in Season 2 because I personally felt the premise went off the rails. Im not watching now because I am not buying that anyone seriously wants to re-establish the US military or it's ships or it's government in a post pandemic world. I am sure they are telling this story well within it's premise. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The very nature of the show demands that they return to the high seas.

Agreed. It is called The Last Ship. :) But who in their right mind would spend even one minute working in a dry dock to repair a US military ship? Who would wait around until it was repaired? Some shows should end because the premise logically leads to an end. TWD maintained the notion that zombies could be YEARS old. Even the most dull amongst us could see that was not going to last.