The Female Doctor looks like a clown

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
All of which shows the problem with casting and/or writing specifically to virtue signal.

Pearl Mackie last season was a disaster. Actually it was more the way her character was written and directed - for all we know she may be a wonderful actress but the character Bill felt more like a pantomime of a person than a person.

Meanwhile the previous season both Jenna Coleman and Maisie Williams did good work and felt like real people. And if you go back to NuWho Season Three Freema Agyeman was great in her lead role as Martha Jones - she felt authentic.

And if you go back to NuWho Season Three Freema Agyeman was great in her lead role as Martha Jones - she felt authentic.

Authentic yes, but I thought she came off as being rather shrill. I generally liked the episodes during her tenure though*, more so than the Billie Piper "era" believe it or not.

*I particularly liked the episodes Human Nature/The Family of Blood.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, she was a bit shrill but it fit her character. I also liked those episodes and the three part season finale, where the Master inadvertently (through his deployment of the archangel network) sowed the seeds of his own defeat.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
How many female doctors have there been?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And they are having a full fledged fan base revolt because of all the virtue signaling that has been coming out of the show over the last season.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So do I. Then in as few years it will be revived again, hopefully the next time they learn their lesson and steer well clear of virtue signaling and the like.

So do I. Then in as few years it will be revived again, hopefully the next time they learn their lesson and steer well clear of virtue signaling and the like.

I hope the next incarnation is less cartoonish. It's like the producers can't decide if it's a kids show or a serious adult show. Straddling the two just makes it annoying to watch. I'm not saying they have to remove the fun aspects of it, but there are times it devolves into a childish puppet show that is unwatchable.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
All of which shows the problem with casting and/or writing specifically to virtue signal.

Pearl Mackie last season was a disaster. Actually it was more the way her character was written and directed - for all we know she may be a wonderful actress but the character Bill felt more like a pantomime of a person than a person.

Meanwhile the previous season both Jenna Coleman and Maisie Williams did good work and felt like real people. And if you go back to NuWho Season Three Freema Agyeman was great in her lead role as Martha Jones - she felt authentic.
I haven't seen or heard anything about this season yet. I suspect the show is coming to an end.

You know the show came to an end when Steven Moffat left the show last year but then again, he ruined doctor who after matt smith left.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She has good points even if I liked Season 9 more than she did - I enjoyed the two parters which allowed more complex stories. She is right though about Season 10 being a disaster and the total lack of any feeling that the character of Bill was an actual person.