The Female Doctor looks like a clown

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well "trans" is apropos in this instance as the Doctor has crossed from one gender to the other. I don't have my Latin dictionary in front of me so I'll have to rely on Google but the definition of trans is "across, beyond, through". The difference here is how will the Doctor adjust to the new gender after always being male? Will the new Doctor view the universe through a "male lens" so to speak?

At any rate, I won't mind if they take a moment to have the Doctor adjust mentally to being female, but I hope they don't constantly reference male traits. That would be low-brow and tedious after awhile.

BTW, is the Doctor going to have a bevy of male companions now? It's only fair considering when the Doc was male he flitted about the universe with tons of young, hot women that were his pseudo concubines.
too late....

The world is becoming crazy...

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Forcing change is not palatable, allowing change is.

Why can't Hollywood realize this?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Forcing change is not palatable allowing change is.

Why can't Hollywood realize this?
It was heavy handed the way they changed the Doctor. Changing him this much changed the core of the show. It's not like having a female starship Captain.

Like you said, forcing change sucks but showing change is ok. They could have done a better transition.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Have tried several times to get "into" Dr. who, but can't! The show is too cartoonish for me!

Last edited:
Have tried several times to get "into" Dr. who, but can't! The show is too cartoonist for me!

It got repetitively tedious for my tastes. Daleks Daleks Daleks, never ending Daleks. :rolleye0014: And every other episode is an overwrought hand-wringer about the Doctor maybe kinda sorta possibly dying and/or having to regenerate but he will die if he tries it but he doesn't die because he magically finds a way to not die and also not regenerate into a different actor and blah blah blah.

Then again, it's a kids show so I guess I really can't complain.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It got repetitively tedious for my tastes. Daleks Daleks Daleks, never ending Daleks. :rolleye0014: And every other episode is an overwrought hand-wringer about the Doctor maybe kinda sorta possibly dying and/or having to regenerate but he will die if he tries it but he doesn't die because he magically finds a way to not die and also not regenerate into a different actor and blah blah blah.

Then again, it's a kids show so I guess I really can't complain.

It used to be more scifi than it is now. :moody:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really it was just the last season where the trouble really started. Season 9 was sharp and Classic Who was famous for its more complex stories and tendency to use really hard science fiction.

Last edited:
?Really it was just the last season where the trouble really started. Season 9 was sharp and Classic Who was famous for its more complex stories and tendency to use really hard science fiction.

I actually liked Capaldi more than his predecessors (and they gave him some good lines) but the show was just too fatiguing for me by the point he arrived. The constant story thread in the background every single season just gets so damn irritating. (There's a crack in the universe! The Doctor is going to die! Bad Wolf! Something is coming for Clara! :rolleye0014:) Why they just can't have a couple seasons of episodic fun instead of always having some dire, depressing seasonal story arc going on is beyond me.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Really it was just the last season where the trouble really started. Season 9 was sharp and Classic Who was famous for its more complex stories and tendency to use really hard science fiction.

"classic who" you mean the 70's? That was when I first tried it! Horrible, just horrible. Gave it a retry in the early 90's....still awful and around 2010 ...have given up on it forever!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Classic Who was famous for its complex stories and not being cartoonish. During the Tom Baker era it picked up a lot of viewers who liked his more urbane style.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Classic Who was famous for its complex stories and not being cartoonish. During the Tom Baker era it picked up a lot of viewers who liked his more urbane style.

Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor. Here we are with the new female Doctor and the show has changed too much and is now unwatchable. I think this last Doctor might kill the franchise altogether.

Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor. Here we are with the new female Doctor and the show has changed too much and is now unwatchable. I think this last Doctor might kill the franchise altogether.

The BBC is too PC to allow the female incarnation to fail. I don't fully understand how the British TV system works but I know they don't solely rely on ratings. I think the government has a say in programming content, etc. (They actually tax people for owning televisions which I find wonky and dubious.)

As for the female Doctor being a fail, I haven't seen the new version yet so I have no opinion there. I do know her costuming was a HUGE fail and she looks like a clown in the pics I've seen. Can't say anything about how likable and charismatic she is though. Maybe I'll check it out sometime but I'm not exactly dying to do so. I have no desire to see yet another episode about Daleks. Daleks Daleks Daleks. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The BBC is too PC to allow the female incarnation to fail. I don't fully understand how the British TV system works but I know they don't solely rely on ratings. I think the government has a say in programming content, etc. (They actually tax people for owning televisions which I find wonky and dubious.)

As for the female Doctor being a fail, I haven't seen the new version yet so I have no opinion there. I do know her costuming was a HUGE fail and she looks like a clown in the pics I've seen. Can't say anything about how likable and charismatic she is though. Maybe I'll check it out sometime but I'm not exactly dying to do so. I have no desire to see yet another episode about Daleks. Daleks Daleks Daleks. :rolleye0014:

Its not even her fault that the latest Doctor Who is just not up to snuff. She's okay. :) The writing is different.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The writing was good until last season. Then it was both oversimplified and received a heavy dose of SJWism.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Pretty sure next they are going to get a younger, more edgier doctor who with a hip language like cool or it will make the doctor who is an alien. Though he's an alien, they'll make him look ugly.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It'll probably be an Asian.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It'll probably be an Asian.

Or a black person.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ffat-there-was-going-to-be-a-black-doctor-who

The starring role in BBC1’s Doctor Who was offered to a black actor but it “didn’t work out” according to the series showrunner, Steven Moffat. Moffat said it would be “amazing” to have two non-white leads after Pearl Mackie, whose father is from the West Indies, was cast as the Doctor’s companion earlier this year.

He said the producers took a conscious decision to cast a non-white actor as the companion “because we need to do better on that. We just have to”. Moffat said the show had tried to go one further by casting the first non-white Doctor, but the choice later fell through.

With Peter Capaldi signed up to do at least one more series, Moffat said it would be refreshing if the next Doctor wasn’t white.

I think (east) Asian would be the next choice, yes. That is because there is already a South Asian and a black male on the Tardis.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Or a black person.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ffat-there-was-going-to-be-a-black-doctor-who

I think (east) Asian would be the next choice, yes. That is because there is already a South Asian and a black male on the Tardis.

I thought of black first but then I realized that black is too normal these days and not edgy enough anymore.

It's probably gonna be an Asian woman who started out as a woman but then had a sex-change into a man but then changed her mind and went back to being a woman. Likely an ugly one.

I thought of black first but then I realized that black is too normal these days and not edgy enough anymore.

It's probably gonna be an Asian woman who started out as a woman but then had a sex-change into a man but then changed her mind and went back to being a woman. Likely an ugly one.

I think they will revert back to the male gender next time but it will most likely be East Asian.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think they will revert back to the male gender next time but it will most likely be East Asian.

Then perhaps an East-Asian man who used to be a black woman who used to be a latino man?