THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
What is she gonna do in this show? :( The Expanse gets the balance between drama and scifi right. That means it does not get soapy, and because I trust the writers and I already know how the story is SUPPOSED to play out, I think they will make her a worthy addition.

Didn't notice Mitchell in the video. Just Terry Chen from 'Continuum'.

I have only seen snippets of the show, not read the books, so I have no clue if her character, Dr. Annushka "Anna" Volovodov, was created just for her.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Her role is Anna Volovodov, which means that Season Three must get into Abaddon's Gate a bit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Her role is Anna Volovodov, which means that Season Three must get into Abaddon's Gate a bit.

Excellent find...makes sense. :) The creation of the gate is a logical season finale, and the final events of Caliban's war can easily be played out in say...4 episodes. I did not get a sense in the book that the events of Caliban's war took place over a long span of time. I guessed this season would give us the gate. I think also, that the most exciting parts of the Expanse story take place just before and just after the gate is created. We also get to see them flesh out the expanded universe of Expanse a bit. I can hardly wait!

I am speculating, of course. And Anna might be making an early appearance like Avasarala did. Whatever the case, it will be awesome I'm sure!

:smiley_joy::smiley_joy::smiley_joy::smiley_joy::smiley_joy:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
While I am glad they waited until I was out of the hospital and rehab hospital (fungal infection -- "Ow, my balls hurt!"), shouldn't the new season of The Expanse have started by now?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
While I am glad they waited until I was out of the hospital and rehab hospital (fungal infection -- "Ow, my balls hurt!"), shouldn't the new season of The Expanse have started by now?

Welcome back Jim! I was wondering if you were OK. :) Isn't the treatment for severe cases of that dermabrasion? :icon_e_surprised: The Expanse returns April 11, 2018.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not that severe in this case.

Well, it's good to see you here. :) There is really not much new to watch in terms of scifi. You should give Stargate Origins a look, even if you end up not liking it. It's watchable, but it is a way different take on Stargate. I may re-read Abaddon's Gate again before April 11.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What is she gonna do in this show? :( The Expanse gets the balance between drama and scifi right. That means it does not get soapy, and because I trust the writers and I already know how the story is SUPPOSED to play out, I think they will make her a worthy addition.

but we know that SYFY has a passion for screwing up their shows. if some one there thinks they need to add more ppl from a certain viewing demo, they will do whatever they think might get that demo to tune in

Mitchell-- "a new spiritual perspective" wtf ??? why is a Methodist pastor exploring the ring? they couldn't find a scientist?

playing a methodist minister? why is there still organized religion? so far this show has had a few of today's religions launched into space..why?

"Mitchell — an Emmy nominee for her work as Dr. Juliet Burke on ABC’s mysterious island drama — will be playing a character that, according to the network, “brings a new, spiritual perspective to the series.”

Judging by that description, it’s possible Mitchell could be playing Anna Volovodov, a Methodist pastor who is first introduced in the third novel in The Expanse book series, Abaddon’s Gate. In the books, Volovodovis sent out on the Thomas Prince to help explore the Ring, but trouble breaks out on the ship when it reaches the Slow Zone, with Anna at the center of the action. But it is also entirely possible that Mitchell could be playing a character unique to the television adaptation since the show has sprinkled in entirely new people as well."

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/22/expanse-elizabeth-mitchell-season-3-lost/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes Mitchell plays Volovodov. She is not a central character in the book but rather part of one plotline. And remember, SyFy does not own The Expanse - it is produced by Alcon Entertainment and the authors of the books are also the writers of the show and have creative control over it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but we know that SYFY has a passion for screwing up their shows. if some one there thinks they need to add more ppl from a certain viewing demo, they will do whatever they think might get that demo to tune in

Mitchell-- "a new spiritual perspective" wtf ??? why is a Methodist pastor exploring the ring? they couldn't find a scientist?

playing a methodist minister? why is there still organized religion? so far this show has had a few of today's religions launched into space..why?

In the context of the story told in the Expanse books, the spread of religions into space is part of the fabric of that future and for the most part it works. I do not find it at all distracting. It isn't like Syfy added anything.

"Mitchell — an Emmy nominee for her work as Dr. Juliet Burke on ABC’s mysterious island drama — will be playing a character that, according to the network, “brings a new, spiritual perspective to the series.”

Judging by that description, it’s possible Mitchell could be playing Anna Volovodov, a Methodist pastor who is first introduced in the third novel in The Expanse book series, Abaddon’s Gate. In the books, Volovodovis sent out on the Thomas Prince to help explore the Ring, but trouble breaks out on the ship when it reaches the Slow Zone, with Anna at the center of the action. But it is also entirely possible that Mitchell could be playing a character unique to the television adaptation since the show has sprinkled in entirely new people as well."

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/22/expanse-elizabeth-mitchell-season-3-lost/

They have sprinkled in a few, but nobody major.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this Wednesday it is back!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Awesome! Looking forward to this.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And last night Season Three premiered!

On the bad side you kind of need to have watched Season Two for the events to make sense. On the good side the acting is excellent, pacing tight and stories all advance well. The action is also well done, and was dominated by Bobbie "Martian Terminator" Draper.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And last night Season Three premiered!

On the bad side you kind of need to have watched Season Two for the events to make sense. On the good side the acting is excellent, pacing tight and stories all advance well. The action is also well done, and was dominated by Bobbie "Martian Terminator" Draper.

Excellent! Where did you see it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On SyFy. It should be pretty easy to find and was already on their website and their streaming apps.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did y'all catch it yet? Everyone had story time but really it was a Draper / Avarsarala episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did y'all catch it yet? Everyone had story time but really it was a Draper / Avarsarala episode.

I will watch it later today

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you get the chance to watch it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member