THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Killjoys tonight had a short teaser for The Expanse Season 2. It does indeed look like they are picking up right where Season One ended, and going right into:

The OPA arming up and assaulting Thoth Station

I wonder if they are going to start the events of Caliban's War in the next season? If they do, we are in for a huge ramp-up in the story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wonder if they are going to start the events of Caliban's War in the next season? If they do, we are in for a huge ramp-up in the story.

With 13 episodes they almost have to start Caliban's War, as when you think about it we don't have THAT much left from the first book to cover:

- Assault Thoth Station, Commandeer Nauloo, Try various ways to deal with Eros, Eros heads for Earth, Julie Mao persuaded to crash Eros on Venus

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With 13 episodes they almost have to start Caliban's War, as when you think about it we don't have THAT much left from the first book to cover:

- Assault Thoth Station, Commandeer Nauloo, Try various ways to deal with Eros, Eros heads for Earth, Julie Mao persuaded to crash Eros on Venus

Unless they change the story or stretch it, they are going to have to start Caliban's war. Agreed on the short time from the last season to the end of the first book. 13 episodes without starting the War would really be a stretch.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
YAY!

This looks like they will go a bit past the end of the first book in Season 2.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YAY!

This looks like they will go a bit past the end of the first book in Season 2.

They will need a bigger budget to even approach being able to accurately portray Caliban's War which will likely be the majority of any hopeful Season 3. But if they get a Season 3 that one will be awesome!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They've been pretty big budget the whole way so far. Remember the SFX all of season one was movie grade.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Speaking of The Expanse:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Per SyFy The Expanse returns February 1.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season Two premieres tomorrow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season Two premieres tomorrow.

I can't wait till this next season begins! I am tempted to do a rewatch of all of the series this weekend. To me, the underpinnings of the universe they have created in Expanse is the most believable ever presented in a scifi series.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I can't wait till this next season begins! I am tempted to do a rewatch of all of the series this weekend. To me, the underpinnings of the universe they have created in Expanse is the most believable ever presented in a scifi series.

I just did a bing watch on Monday ...Worth it completely . There were things I had forgotten or missed the dialogue . OMG the CGI is fantastically amazing eye candy indeed !!! Story is fantastic !!!

;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
VERY strong season premiere tonight.

They advanced the story big time, both by bringing in new characters from the books (like Bobby Draper) and also they had the big event on which the plot of the first book turns occur:

The OPA assault on Thoth Station and the capture/execution of Dresden

With 13 episodes I have to think we're getting at bare minimum to the end of Leviathan Wakes this season.

The SFX is still movie grade, and the acting was also strong. We got the lightest bit of suds but it lasted about 45 seconds. Overall tight episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They advanced the story big time, both by bringing in new characters from the books (like Bobby Draper) and also they had the big event on which the plot of the first book turns occur:

With 13 episodes I have to think we're getting at bare minimum to the end of Leviathan Wakes this season.

The SFX is still movie grade, and the acting was also strong. We got the lightest bit of suds but it lasted about 45 seconds. Overall tight episode.
It's already on Kodi. :) I'm watching it now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

EXCELLENT episode. They picked up the story and the tempo without skipping a beat, and it was a very strong showing for this season! This is real science fiction, and it is also gritty and modern yet not drifting into soapy stuff. The show is this good now, and I can't wait until they tackle Caliban's War. Like you said, the effects (and sound) in this is movie grade. The writing is awesome too.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
My wife pointed out that tho our lead hero is a guy , the girl is the one who is really running the show . He just walks around pouty all the time which I have to agree with . Tipper has bigger balls than Holden.
;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure I agree that Naomi is running the show or that Holden is "pouty". Holden was the one who put his foot down and insisted that Thoth Station had to be attacked - by the Rocinante alone if need be. He's just a quieter sort of leader.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Your probably right Joe . I am still lovin this show either way . That Mars scene was freekin cool ...
;)