THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes she is a good character.

OM, I'm not so sure they are using it as a weapon. Per Pages 414 - 419:

Dresden in these pages not only reveals himself to be a sociopath (and that Protogen altered the other scientists to make them sociopathic as well) but states that their "science project" was to let the protomolecule run its program so they could understand its coding. The objective was to learn how to reprogram it and use it to reconfigure human beings to make them more "advanced" - he gives as examples being able to work in space without a suit and being able to hibernate for interstellar trips. I read it as Dresden sold Protogen on the whole sordid concept; then they sold certain covert UN departments on it.

I agree the series so far is better than the book simply because the book rambled a bit and it did get more graphic in the book. But that said, the book is still cracking good.

The purpose of the atrocity at Eros was hinted at in the series when they said that...

They wanted it to learn

Your references to pages 414-419...which chapter? My e-book does not have page numbers. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
funny!!

when either me or GF said the same about wither the Tolkien "world" or the SW books, you said something like "I don't need to read any books...if its not on screen then I don't need it!"

but yeah, I "get" that the books will always be more inclusive of info and deeper in depth for the story and plot (and backstory) then anything on screen will be.

:)

Tolkien and SW other fantasy books like that are long reads for a scifi fan like me. :) I can read multi-novel epics when they are science fiction, but not even 100 pages of a romance novel. :) It's a bias, I know. I cannot read long fantasy epics in book form. The last one of those I read was Lord of the Rings, 20 years ago. The SW books just never could draw me in because of my feelings about the movies (not bad feelings, just "meh" feelings). I have read hundreds of Scifi stories in long novel form and short story form (my favorite form of scifi in print)

In this case, the series is actually being better portrayed than the book (IMO). The book fills in the narrative spaces left by the series which have evidently been downplayed because of the TV format. As science fiction goes, this book is just good, not great. The story takes a different direction and you start to notice that the sub-plot of Miller being in love with Julie Mao has much more significance to the overall story than the series lets on. The book clarifies the events we have seen up to now when you have seen the series already.

I think this story sorta weakens towards the last third of the book, and it ends on a non-ending (but not a cliffhanger). Im starting the next book today.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think this story sorta weakens towards the last third of the book

in an amazon review-one reader said something similar about the series of books; lots of detail that,they thought, bogged down the story and as you said

wondering if SYFY/production compnay is going to pull a "GAME OF THRONES" ala HBO and just go ahead with their own story line after a few seasons, assuming it goes a few seasons

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Tolkien and SW other fantasy books like that are long reads for a scifi fan like me. :) I can read multi-novel epics when they are science fiction, but not even 100 pages of a romance novel. :) It's a bias, I know. I cannot read long fantasy epics in book form. The last one of those I read was Lord of the Rings, 20 years ago. The SW books just never could draw me in because of my feelings about the movies (not bad feelings, just "meh" feelings). I have read hundreds of Scifi stories in long novel form and short story form (my favorite form of scifi in print)

In this case, the series is actually being better portrayed than the book (IMO). The book fills in the narrative spaces left by the series which have evidently been downplayed because of the TV format. As science fiction goes, this book is just good, not great. The story takes a different direction and you start to notice that the sub-plot of Miller being in love with Julie Mao has much more significance to the overall story than the series lets on. The book clarifies the events we have seen up to now when you have seen the series already.

I think this story sorta weakens towards the last third of the book, and it ends on a non-ending (but not a cliffhanger). Im starting the next book today.

but still,whatever your reasoning, you reply to us-"not going to read it" but imply that we should read what you have!

do you see what I mean?

:)

but thats cool! by all means read on! not enough ppl do anymore

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The purpose of the atrocity at Eros was hinted at in the series when they said that...

They wanted it to learn

Your references to pages 414-419...which chapter? My e-book does not have page numbers. :)

Chapter 41.

Dresden's monologue to Miller, Holden and Johnson after the OPA soldiers assault and capture Thoth Station. I would also say that while Miller's obsession with Julie Mao plays a key role in his actions at the end of the book it doesn't dominate the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chapter 41.

Dresden's monologue to Miller, Holden and Johnson after the OPA soldiers assault and capture Thoth Station. I would also say that while Miller's obsession with Julie Mao plays a key role in his actions at the end of the book it doesn't dominate the story.

Have you finished it yet? Major events for next season if they follow the book.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes indeed I finished it.

And yes they have big stuff for Season 2.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes indeed I finished it.

And yes they have big stuff for Season 2.

I wonder just how much of it they will be able to show? The thing with Eros, Venus....you know. :) I like the way they have set up the next book. Leviathan Wakes does "end", but the story does not. It's a cliff-less cliffhanger!

Are you going to read the next novel Caliban's War?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Too long a wait between seasons.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
But, at least when we return they are poised to get right into big stuff, like:

Fred Johnson taking the OPA out of the shadows big time when he makes the (pretty momentus in the series of books) decision to call up the OPAs troops and attack Thoth Station, which basically decapitates Protogen

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
13 episodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
let me guess--only 10 eps?

seems to be a trend among the good and bad tv shows

They did not say in the article I read at Variety (link above). I have not figured out how Netflix has decided to produce their shows. The term "season" does not really apply to these web-only series. Since there is no advertising, there is no reason to hold anything back or present them during holiday shopping times. Are they ordering episodes in batches of 13? I don't know. :( But the gap of time is too long. I will want to rewatch the show first before watching new episodes. Remember when a whole season was 26 episodes? I miss those days. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Variety article states that SyFy has ordered 13 episodes for Season Two.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Variety article states that SyFy has ordered 13 episodes for Season Two.

Ah, I missed that. I started typing that response a couple of hours ago and it was in my saved draft. 13 episodes is great, as long as they don't split it into two "seasons".

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have not figured out how Netflix has decided to produce their shows. The term "season"

this and "seasons" and release times
and
why oh why does netflix and amazon make their originals to "fit" into standard broadcast tv format (for the most part)?

that is-and hour long show is actually closer to 42 mins and a half hr show is like 18 mins

why bother? are they planning on "going backwards" that is, selling their shows into syndication to cable stations? now that would be dumb

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
13 is better then 10....also saw in ads on syfy that DARK MATTER is back on 1 july :) this year that is!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Killjoys tonight had a short teaser for The Expanse Season 2. It does indeed look like they are picking up right where Season One ended, and going right into:

The OPA arming up and assaulting Thoth Station