Stargate to be rebooted with movie. FINALLY! From the original creator Roland Emmerich

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hyperspace and warp drive are completely different. More sci-fi stories have employed hyperspace travel than warped space travel. :D
Correct. Warp travel remains in our time/space, Hyperspace is using parallel dimensions to travel.

SG was notorious for stealing stories from other shows, that was no secret. I wouldn't put too much stock in them being all about Trek. The relations they had with their alien allies and internal political struggles back on Earth were more akin to Babylon 5 than ST.
No, B5 was a DS9 rip-off and Farscape was a Voyager rip off, just with one man instead of a ship................ :lol:
It's all about the trek Bluce DUH!!! :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hyperspace and warp drive are completely different. More sci-fi stories have employed hyperspace travel than warped space travel. :D

SG was notorious for stealing stories from other shows, that was no secret. I wouldn't put too much stock in them being all about Trek. The relations they had with their alien allies and internal political struggles back on Earth were more akin to Babylon 5 than ST.

I agree about SGU, although I dunno why they would waste their time trying to emulate a pseudo-scifi emo show that tanked quite spectacularly.

True, but look at the production/cancellation timelines of the last Star Trek series (Enterprise and Voyager). Both ending dates were announced before it happened, and Brad capitalized on it. Just like he did with NuBSG when he created Stargate Universe.
--- merged: Sep 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM ---
Correct. Warp travel remains in our time/space, Hyperspace is using parallel dimensions to travel.

No, B5 was a DS9 rip-off and Farscape was a Voyager rip off, just with one man instead of a ship................ :lol:
It's all about the trek Bluce DUH!!! :D

B5 is the original, DS9 ripped B5 off, and Voyager was not at all like Farscape. I know you were being sarcastic though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Bolded in red...YES. It lost all resemblence to Stargate, and became Star Trek with stargates. We are talking 2004 earth with intergalactic starships equipped with hyperdrive and beam weapons and transporters. All "Top Seekrit" of course. :) With such tech, it would make all earth military obsolete (including the USAF). Why werent there Russians or Chinese on these ships? If the US had such tech, it could simply beam bombs into capitals of enemy nations, or beam gold out of treasuries, or "disappear" people by simply beaming them up into the ship. It could destroy submarines whilst submerged...etc.

In the end, your argument is pretty much wasted, since I am not saying I did not like SG-1. I liked it, but Stargate lost a lot when it landed in Brad Wright's ample lap.

Didn't they have a civilian government international alliance before Promethius was officially launched? I recall the episode where they all met Thor for the first time.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Bolded in red...YES. It lost all resemblence to Stargate, and became Star Trek with stargates.
Here's the thing dude, the did NOT always use the ships.
We are talking 2004 earth
Trek built a warp capable ship in 2063 on a post WW3 Earth.
with intergalactic starships equipped with hyperdrive and beam weapons and transporters.
Which they could not produce themselves............
All "Top Seekrit" of course. :) With such tech, it would make all earth military obsolete (including the USAF). Why werent there Russians or Chinese on these ships?
The Koralev was the Russian ship, the Sun Tzu was supposed to be the Chinese ship.
If the US had such tech, it could simply beam bombs into capitals of enemy nations, or beam gold out of treasuries, or "disappear" people by simply beaming them up into the ship. It could destroy submarines whilst submerged...etc.
The IOA perhaps??

In the end, your argument is pretty much wasted, since I am not saying I did not like SG-1.
Yes, it is wasted.
I liked it, but Stargate lost a lot when it landed in Brad Wright's ample lap.
BW was co-creator, it landed in his lap from day one.

Bluce Ree

Not exactly. Hyperspace is also known as the 5th dimension, where one occupies all space simultaneously. Hyperspace, theoretically, would allow anyone to travel anywhere at any distance in an instant. Three-dimensional distances have no relevance in hyperspace. The only show I recall that seemed to do this correctly was Bablyon 5. The only times they remained in hyperspace for any lengthy period was to hover and wait. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's the thing dude, the did NOT always use the ships.

Trek built a warp capable ship in 2063 on a post WW3 Earth.

Which they could not produce themselves............

The Koralev was the Russian ship, the Sun Tzu was supposed to be the Chinese ship.

The IOA perhaps??

Yes, it is wasted.

BW was co-creator, it landed in his lap from day one.

images.jpeg

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If you can get "defend" out of "so what", your stretching dude :P

I see it, my question remains, So what?
Stargate has ALWAYS had spaceships in it, did it "loose" something with the introduction of human spaceships? Sure, I'll concede that point, no problems. Were there "ulterior motives" to their introduction? Sure.
In the end, so what?
So what?
Trek "ripped off" Asimov's Jump Drives, and "lasers" have been a scifi staple for even longer.
So what?
What are you looking for Artisic integrity out of the television industry?? :lol:

"So what?" Seriously? FFS dude, the name of the show specifies the tech that informs the entire premise of the show.

And as for Asimov, again -- seriously??? Taking something from a book and transforming it into something on film is a bit different than simply taking something that someone else used on film and using it in the exact same way on film.

Whitewash it all you want but the fact remains that BW shoehorned stolen ST tech into an already established show (shows) to exploit the ST tech to his advantage. It was a crass and cynical thing to do.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Im the one who should have posted that pic in response to your defense of Trekgate. :tealc_newanime006:
You keep saying I am defending it, I'm not.
I'm saying I don't care it became "trekgate", there is difference bro.
All I *am* defending is the silly notion that they (SG) would not have attempted to make their own space vessels against an enemy that has them. That would be like expecting the Brits not to RE the timing mechanism that allowed the German WW1 planes to shoot through their props, or not RE'ing V2 rockets.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
"So what?" Seriously? FFS dude, the name of the show specifies the tech that informs the entire premise of the show.
And like OM you are overstating the use of spaceships in SG by the humans. The main focus was ALWAYS the gate, until SGU where the Ship became the focus.

And as for Asimov, again -- seriously??? Taking something from a book and transforming it into something on film is a bit different than simply taking something that someone else used on film and using it in the exact same way on film.
How many different ways do you want people to show lasers or FTL travel dude. Your gripe is about using others tech, and Asimov is entirely relavent because ST "stole his tech"
Whitewash it all you want but the fact remains that BW shoehorned stolen ST tech into an already established show (shows) to exploit the ST tech to his advantage. It was a crass and cynical thing to do.
Again, are you expecting integrity in Television? I'm not. Am I saying it wasn't crass or cynical? No.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You keep saying I am defending it, I'm not.
I'm saying I don't care it became "trekgate", there is difference bro.
All I *am* defending is the silly notion that they (SG) would not have attempted to make their own space vessels against an enemy that has them. That would be like expecting the Brits not to RE the timing mechanism that allowed the German WW1 planes to shoot through their props, or not RE'ing V2 rockets.

The stupid part is accepting the idea that advanced beings with the tech would share it with primitives like the Taurii. THAT is the silly notion. The Asgard would not have chosen the Taurii as the repository of their knowledge..perhaps the Nox or the Furlings or some other already spacefaring race, but humans? Silly.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And like OM you are overstating the use of spaceships in SG by the humans. The main focus was ALWAYS the gate, until SGU where the Ship became the focus.

How many different ways do you want people to show lasers or FTL travel dude. Your gripe is about using others tech, and Asimov is entirely relavent because ST "stole his tech"

Again, are you expecting integrity in Television? I'm not. Am I saying it wasn't crass or cynical? No.

You'll have to forgive me as I often forget that you're Australian. My bad. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Not exactly. Hyperspace is also known as the 5th dimension, where one occupies all space simultaneously. Hyperspace, theoretically, would allow anyone to travel anywhere at any distance in an instant.
Correct.
Three-dimensional distances have no relevance in hyperspace. The only show I recall that seemed to do this correctly was Bablyon 5. The only times they remained in hyperspace for any lengthy period was to hover and wait. :D
Nope, even in B5 they used "tunnels" and even engaged in combat in hyperspace (which technically is impossible). The only movie I can think of them doing it as an "instantaneous jump" is in Event Horizon.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The stupid part is accepting the idea that advanced beings with the tech would share it with primitives like the Taurii. THAT is the silly notion. The Asgard would not have chosen the Taurii as the repository of their knowledge..perhaps the Nox or the Furlings or some other already spacefaring race, but humans? Silly.

You mean like the Vulcans?

As for the Furlings and Nox, they were ALREADY a part of the 4 race alliance of the Ancients.
--- merged: Sep 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM ---
You'll have to forgive me as I often forget that you're Australian. My bad. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You mean like the Vulcans?

The Vulcans shared their technology very slowly and with many reservations. It was a process that took years. Unlike the Prometheus or the Hammond, the Enterprise didn't just pop into existence overnight. There was verity to how ST showed the sharing of technology in that universe. There was no verity in how BW showed the sharing of technology in the SG universe though. It is that simple.

Now please stop being so damn "Dutch" today. It doesn't become you.

Bluce Ree

Yeah, you're making assumptions about notions humans know nothing about. You're assuming aliens would have the same values and that they would have a "prime directive". It's fiction, dude. You're trying to read too much into a fictional premise. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, you're making assumptions about notions humans know nothing about. You're assuming aliens would have the same values and that they would have a "prime directive". It's fiction, dude. You're trying to read too much into a fictional premise. :icon_lol:

So we're supposed to believe that humans can learn how to use and control advanced technology overnight? Especially when it has taken them the better part of a century to figure out how to dial the gate?

No matter how you slice it ST did a much better job of showing how humans handled advance tech. SG on the other hand did a piss poor job of it in the last couple seasons though.

Bluce Ree

I don't get all this Stargate bashing. They explored distant worlds using the stargates, encountered alien species and acquired tech over the years that was put into practical.use, whether borrowed, stolen or given. I don't get the beef.

We saw progression, although sped up. We saw failed attempts at retrofitting a glider early on, first attempt at megjng human and alien tech. It's not like SG transformed overnight.

Sure, SG copied lots of prior art but so did all the other major sci-fi productions. I just don't see this obsessive Star Trek link you're trying to jimmy into the series. I do see some ST, B5 and other shows having had their elements stolen and integrated. But I just don't see this Trekgate you see.

Bluce Ree

Correct.

Nope, even in B5 they used "tunnels" and even engaged in combat in hyperspace (which technically is impossible). The only movie I can think of them doing it as an "instantaneous jump" is in Event Horizon.

Event Horizon! Good call. :)