Stargate to be rebooted with movie. FINALLY! From the original creator Roland Emmerich

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Well, it is finally happening: Stargate is going to get a set of new movies from none other than its original creator, Roland Emmerich! This is exciting news for Stargate fans...or is it? A brief Google search on "Stargate reboot" will lead you to much joy or much angst over this new project. For fans of Stargate, this issue is between the canon of the original movie and the creations of Jonathan Glassener and Brad Wright (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe). Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassener took Stargate in a direction which did not agree with the direction Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich wanted to take it. According to the Stargate Wiki, neither of the creators consider SG-1 to be a valid continuation of the movie. And Brad Wright was really not open to any further input from the creators. He quipped "Devlin can wish to do a sequel to Stargate all he wants. MGM owns the rights, and I doubt very much that they'll ask him to do it. He knows better." That all changed when the disastrous fail of Stargate Universe forced cancellation in only one year. The show ran out it's episodes after cancellation. But by then, Stargate had a historic run of television shows running for almost 16 years. Stargate SG-1 ran for 10 years and also produced two full length movies (The Ark of Truth and Continuum). Then there was Stargate Atlantis which was a spinoff from SG-1 which ran for 5 years. Stargate Universe's massive fail alienated its original audience, even though it picked up a few new fans. The fans of Stargate Universe are a different crowd than the original fanbase, and if ratings were any indication, they numbered only about 1 million viewers as opposed to the 5 or 6 million for the other two shows. The tone was different, and the stargate took a back seat to drama and serialized interpersonal relationships. But enough about the history of the television series.

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin announced their plans to make new Stargate movies way back in the San Diego Comic Con of 2006. Here it is 7 years later and we are going to get the movies after all. But more than likely, the duo wont be taking any cues from the television series, discarding those 16 years of canon created by Wright and Glassener. This is the source of either angst or joy among the fans. Many want more of the SG-1 universe of the TV series (SG-1, Atlantis or SGU). Many want the Stargate saga to continue where the movie left off. Count me in with the latter, but I think I am in the minority. In either case, Stargate is returning in movie form. Lets hear what you think!
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm not sure why it needs to be a trilogy from day 1. How about just making a really good movie and then taking it from there. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-5/finally-stargate-coming-back-live-rebooted-film-trilogy-0

So apparently they have plans to make a film which will be a reboot trilogy and it will be different from the canon created by BW and RCC

What do you think? I prefer a tv series and not a reboot either. I don't want something like SGU either. I just hope they don't screw it up, the original film was ok.

This should have been quotes with your original link. Its SIGNIFICANT!

Director Roland Emmerich has revealed that he is prepping a trilogy of new Stargate films meant to reboot the franchise. Originally Emmerich had envisioned Stargate as the first part of a trilogy — but MGM opted to make Stargate SG-1 instead, which ran for a decade and led to the two additional TV spinoffs.

Now that the franchise has been dormant a few years, Emmerich decided it was time to come back and give it another shot. Though the rebooted trilogy could borrow from some of his original plans, Emmerich was quick to point out that the new films will not be connected to the original Stargate film, noting “the actors look totally different ... it would not work.”

The films will almost certainly not connect to the SG-1 universe, either, since Emmerich has never really been a huge fan of the small-screen version of the franchise. To this day, he maintains it is not a “canon” continuation from his film.

Here’s what he told Digital Spy:

“We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.”

For Stargate fans, this news could come as bittersweet. Yes, the ‘gate will be spinning again, but it won’t be the long-delayed Atlantis or SG-1 spinoff films fans have been waiting on. But Emmerich is the man who helped create the whole thing to begin with — and we’re cautiously optimistic to see where he wants to take the story.

:) The fact that the original creator is doing these movies is the answer to my wishes! Brad Wright/Robert Cooper did a cool and entertaining run with their take on Stargate, but to me it never was the spiritual continuation of the original Stargate. Too many things changed, added, and the core characters were not as gritty as the originals. I liked SG-1 a lot because it had enough of a tie to the original that it was acceptable...at least the first few seasons.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is another project that has been kicking around for a long while. It was supposed to have the original cast members-but I suppose they are too old now.

If it happens I bet Emmerich will be under pressure to include 'teeny bopper love triangles' to draw in the younger crowd.

Maybe he should wait longer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is another project that has been kicking around for a long while. It was supposed to have the original cast members-but I suppose they are too old now.

If it happens I bet Emmerich will be under pressure to include 'teeny bopper love triangles' to draw in the younger crowd.

Maybe he should wait longer?

I agree with the bolded. No way could James Spader could pull a Daniel Jackson no matter how you make him up. :anim_59: But he could be aged in the story easily. Hate to say it, but in a new Stargate continuing from say...15 or 20 years later, you could EASILY have Jack long killed off in some glorious battle and heavily decorated for his service (but DEAD). You cant do the story without a Daniel Jackson or some other brilliant scientist like him. A son perhaps? Daniel is still on Abydos if we are using the original movie as the starting point. Abydos is where we first see Brad Wright's Goa'uld...and when his vision takes off in a new direction.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I didn't watch the original movie when it first came out - not a kurt russell fan :P so not sure if I'd bother with the movie(s). SG1 has my heart! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh, I'm not at all interested in this. The original Stargate film was just plain mediocre and every single Emmerich movie post-ID4 has pretty much been crap (and even that movie had a lot of issues).

Perhaps, but its the only true Stargate. Brad Wright's Stargate universe is a personal creation having very little to do with the original Stargate. To me, Brad Wright's Stargate is to the original as SGU is to SG-1 or Atlantis. Or better yet, Abrams Star Trek is only loosely related to Star Trek TOS, even though it claims its a reboot. So, I guess it is a matter of what you like! :)

SG-1 was ruined after season 6. Atlantis was going strong and was the most original of the Stargate series created by Brad Wright. And SGU...just LOL. It wasnt even Stargate.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Lets not loose sight of the fact that BW was NOT the only creator of the series, Jon Glassner was as well till the end of S3

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Meh, I'm not at all interested in this. The original Stargate film was just plain mediocre and every single Emmerich movie post-ID4 has pretty much been crap (and even that movie had a lot of issues).

That seems to be a very commonly overlooked fact.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lets not loose sight of the fact that BW was NOT the only creator of the series, Jon Glassner was as well till the end of S3

Yes! True...but still, Emmerich was not happy with any of them and did not give his blessings on the direction they took Stargate. He did not even want a credit for it. This is much different than the blessings given by Roddenberry on TNG and the Star Trek movies. I do not think he would have approved of Star Trek 2009 or Into Darkness. Emmerich had a different vision for Stargate.

ALSO, it should be noted that Emmerich also wrote a story related to Stargate with a city-ship buried under the Great Pyramid (sound familiar?). Emmerich is the fountainhead, not Brad Wright et al.
--- merged: Sep 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM ---

What...that Emmerich has been writing crap since ID4? Perhaps...but he created Stargate. Brad Wright et al created something related to Stargate, not a continuation of the original, as its creator intended. That is the point I am making.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes! True...but still, Emmerich was not happy with any of them and did not give his blessings on the direction they took Stargate. He did not even want a credit for it. This is much different than the blessings given by Roddenberry on TNG and the Star Trek movies. I do not think he would have approved of Star Trek 2009 or Into Darkness. Emmerich had a different vision for Stargate.

ALSO, it should be noted that Emmerich also wrote a story related to Stargate with a city-ship buried under the Great Pyramid (sound familiar?). Emmerich is the fountainhead, not Brad Wright et al.
--- merged: Sep 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM ---

What...that Emmerich has been writing crap since ID4? Perhaps...but he created Stargate. Brad Wright et al created something related to Stargate, not a continuation of the original, as its creator intended. That is the point I am making.

That and the fact that the original Stargate was mediocre. I liked the movie for what it was but it could have been so much better. I found the SG-1 series to be far superior to the movie, as it was, in just about every way.

What was it about the series that you feel detracted so far from the movie? Remember, in the movie, we didn't see very much other than the Stargate, Abydos, one Goa'uld and the Jaffa.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree with the bolded. No way could James Spader could pull a Daniel Jackson no matter how you make him up. :anim_59: But he could be aged in the story easily. Hate to say it, but in a new Stargate continuing from say...15 or 20 years later, you could EASILY have Jack long killed off in some glorious battle and heavily decorated for his service (but DEAD). You cant do the story without a Daniel Jackson or some other brilliant scientist like him. A son perhaps? Daniel is still on Abydos if we are using the original movie as the starting point. Abydos is where we first see Brad Wright's Goa'uld...and when his vision takes off in a new direction.

About a yr or so ago, I was reading a combo interview with Spader, Russell, and another guy-not Emmerich-from the movie.

They were discussing their mutual dislike for the tv versions and how the 'brainstorming' and how to follow up on Emmerich's original ideas could take form.

Apparently, at least then, the whole gate travel was going to become a mainly earthbound feat.No more extra galactic (remember, in the film, Abydos is in another galaxy?). They were talking travel through time and space (as in geography) to the earthly lost city of Atlantis, ancient Babylon, Rome, etc. Something about tracking down Ra's colleagues, that survived on other worlds/times, or are now on Earth attempting to disrupt our timelines to stop Ra's death, etc, etc. That was he basics of it. It was to include the original cast.

In this latest link, it says that Emmerich said like "the new casted stars don't look anything like the original cast..." so I guess they are now out?

I don't know, but that time and place gate travel thing just doesn't 'flip my switch' much. And now they run the risk of being like SYFY's new "REWIND(?)" series (whenever that is to come out). Instead of something original.

I would much rather see a continuation of the SG1 -verse continued in a new series like on AMC or some place other then SYFY.

I have said this before, but I think it would be way cool if any new series would include the now grown up 'kids' of SG1; the Asgard duped Oneill, (I forget names) the girl they rescued from the evil goauld wannabe Dr Goebbels chic (that the Dr and then Sam adopted)--we now already she worked with the SGC in the future quite alot from the ep 1969--Their SG team CDR could be, a now Colonel, then Cadet whiz kid genius chic (again names dammit!!??) --ah whatever----

ALSO

On the Asgard issue. I have long had the novelization of the original SG movie. In it-of course they always give more descriptive details-it says that Ra was in a host body of a non human, and that the species was said to be like "the grays (asgard-but tougher/meaner)". And that Ra, coming to Earth, in a failing host body, lands in pre-historic Egypt, see the young boy and covets his "beautiful body". Ra takes a liking to humans as hosts and slaves and the story begins.

This 'asgard like' species we see briefly in a flashback type show in the film, albeit in shadows when he takes the boy.

So, is the book right? Did this chosen writer write directly from Emerrichs script/notes? Or did he ad lib giving an "in" for SG1 to intro the Asgard?

It is yet one more 'disconnect' between the 2 (movie and series) that keeps me awake at night--JUST KIDDING!:sneakiness:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You don't even see Jaffa dude.

Did Ra or any of his 'commanders' use the same language as used in SG1? You know; 'Kree' and all that?

I am guessing that if they didn't use specific words as sg1 then it is at least the same admixture of Earth languages used by the 'human/jaffa' slaves. In the movie, Daniel states the language used is an ancient Egyptian one that is related to old arabic-a similar line is used by Daniel 2.0 in SG1 EP1/2.

Just another nit picker yes, I know...
--- merged: Sep 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM ---
You do, complete with staff weapons and retracting head gear.

300px-Jaffa2.jpg

You notice how in later seasons of sg1 they stopped using the retracing headgear-or any at all, with the glowing eyes? They had Teal'c get suited up in one when he infiltrated a ship in like S5 or 6-then that was it.

Too technical a prop for SciFi channel's budget I suppose? :icon_razz:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That and the fact that the original Stargate was mediocre. I liked the movie for what it was but it could have been so much better. I found the SG-1 series to be far superior to the movie, as it was, in just about every way.

What was it about the series that you feel detracted so far from the movie? Remember, in the movie, we didn't see very much other than the Stargate, Abydos, one Goa'uld and the Jaffa.

There was no Jaffa or Goa'uld in the movie. Brad made them both up, and he is the one who changed the original aliens in the movie to parasites. The Jaffa were also a Brad Wright creation. The snakeheads were humans. Also, Abydos was in a different GALAXY...not in the Milky Way. Brad changed all of that. He filled in the blanks with his own ideas, and changed the direction of the show from one of exploration and science (backed by the military) to primarily military with a peppering of civilian input. For me, this detracted from the movie greatly. Why?

1. The military does NOT have brilliant minds like Sam Carter, anywhere. All the brains are civilian, as is the source of tech and equipment. Perhaps classified, but always civilian.
  2. The Jack O'Neil (one "l") is a badass USAF Colonel with experience in Special Forces and in the Stargate movie he is 100% badass, all about his orders (like it should be). Jack O'Neill (with two "l"s in SG-1) was a bit too lazy with his military decorum, and came off as ANYTHING but a badass. Too much wisecracking IMO.
  3. The Jaffa and their quest for freedom was hokey and took away from the main story which was studying the Stargate and those who built them.
  4. The veering completely away from Egyptian mythology (except for the names of the System Lords which Brad made up as well) into this whole Goa'uld hierarchy thing is not in the movie.
  5. Starting with Season 6 and the introduction of the earth ship Prometheus, SG-1 officially jumped the shark. Office of Homeworld Security? Really?
  6. The Replicators.
  7. The Asgard.
  8. The Ori (any "ascended beings")
  9. The Ancients being the creators of the Stargate instead of the original aliens shown in the movie.
  10. The later ships with beaming and energy weapons :facepalm:
Having said all that, I still loved SG-1 and I still like it today. But I want to see where Emmerich wanted to take HIS creation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did Ra or any of his 'commanders' use the same language as used in SG1? You know; 'Kree' and all that?

I am guessing that if they didn't use specific words as sg1 then it is at least the same admixture of Earth languages used by the 'human/jaffa' slaves. In the movie, Daniel states the language used is an ancient Egyptian one that is related to old arabic-a similar line is used by Daniel 2.0 in SG1 EP1/2.

Just another nit picker yes, I know...

Not at all! Im not saying that Brad Wright's Stargate is better or worse than the original, but they were definitely going to be different. Brad thought he had it locked down (and he did). He stated flatly that Emmerich would not get a chance to do another Stargate movie. He was wrong. :)

You notice how in later seasons of sg1 they stopped using the retracing headgear-or any at all, with the glowing eyes? They had Teal'c get suited up in one when he infiltrated a ship in like S5 or 6-then that was it.

Too technical a prop for SciFi channel's budget I suppose? :icon_razz:

They had the props, they had the CGI models too for those headgear. But SG-1 changed the direction of the story into other things having nothing to do with the original concept. Season 6 introduced the Treknology, and then later it got extreme.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You do, complete with staff weapons and retracting head gear.

300px-Jaffa2.jpg

That pic is from children of the gods dude!!! :lol:

There is no evidence in the movie that Ra's guards are anything but well chosen humans.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sure

There was no Jaffa or Goa'uld in the movie. Brad made them both up, and he is the one who changed the original aliens in the movie to parasites. The Jaffa were also a Brad Wright creation.
Sure, but just cause a person is a twat, does not ean they don't have SOME good idea's :P
The snakeheads were humans. Also, Abydos was in a different GALAXY...not in the Milky Way. Brad changed all of that. He filled in the blanks with his own ideas, and changed the direction of the show from one of exploration and science (backed by the military) to primarily military with a peppering of civilian input. For me, this detracted from the movie greatly. Why?
Are you kidding me??
In the movie the, the whole thing was backed by General West, and as soon as the civvies worked out how to use the gate, O'neil took over. The only reason why they took Jackson was to get home!!
Methinks you need a rewatch brother :lol:

1. The military does NOT have brilliant minds like Sam Carter, anywhere. All the brains are civilian, as is the source of tech and equipment. Perhaps classified, but always civilian.
  2. The Jack O'Neil (one "l") is a badass USAF Colonel with experience in Special Forces and in the Stargate movie he is 100% badass, all about his orders (like it should be). Jack O'Neill (with two "l"s in SG-1) was a bit too lazy with his military decorum, and came off as ANYTHING but a badass. Too much wisecracking IMO.
  3. The Jaffa and their quest for freedom was hokey and took away from the main story which was studying the Stargate and those who built them.
  4. The veering completely away from Egyptian mythology (except for the names of the System Lords which Brad made up as well) into this whole Goa'uld hierarchy thing is not in the movie.
  5. Starting with Season 6 and the introduction of the earth ship Prometheus, SG-1 officially jumped the shark. Office of Homeworld Security? Really?
  6. The Replicators.
  7. The Asgard.
  8. The Ori (any "ascended beings")
  9. The Ancients being the creators of the Stargate instead of the original aliens shown in the movie.
  10. The later ships with beaming and energy weapons :facepalm:
Not enough time to refute all that.
1: I dunno, not been in the military.
2: 2 ll's was still badass, but he hid it with humor.
3: No, the thrust of SG-1 was exploration, not the Jaffa and their freedom.
4: I don't know many "made up" system lord names, they are all pretty "Historic", but yeah, keeping to Egyptian would have been better (or possibly Meso-American as well)
5: I can't say how much I disagree with you here dude. To explore the galaxy, and expect tech not to advance is far more ludicrous IMHO. Oh, I get the trek-gate being annoying, but 5 years bro!!
6: replicators are boring, mindless "evil" always is. HFR were at least interesting till they got overplayed.
7: Meh, why not? "greys" have been a icon for thousands of years, so yeah, why not?
8: Do you hate Q, the Douwd, The Organian's?
9: The movie NEVER said that Ra made the gate, if he could, why come by ship?
10: Meh.
Having said all that, I still loved SG-1 and I still like it today. But I want to see where Emmerich wanted to take HIS creation.
Sure!