Star Wars 1-3: The Prequels. Why do so many people hate them?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It had nothing to do with thinking she is attractive. It has to do with the character's identity. And about perving, it seems more to me that these young girls trying to look like women are the ones who are perving. I have had 13 year old girls flirt with me in public. I have absolutely ZERO interest in pedophilia. Whomever took the reigns artistically from the original TCW artist decided to completely change my favorite character for no OBVIOUS reason, but I am reacting to the less obvious reason. Don't ask please. :). Suffice it to say that I have no interest in Rebels for a variety of reasons, Ashoka just being one of them.

REBELS Explains,in part, how the rebellion began. Rogue Squadron/Rogue One, will undoubtedly have some kind of tie in with REBELS

for those having issue with navigating the cerebral divide between live action and animation (no one here that I know off, but i have read elsewhere that neither series should "count" as they are animated) I am sure they would just love to not watch or believe that REBELS will have anything to offer to advance the overall SW's story.

Regardless of who the animator is or what techniques they use, REBELS does and will tell at least one part of the story.

Hey, maybe if they get real good we will see Galen Marek "re-introduced" (he was taken out of canon but he could always be put back in it in a manner that is different from his original story) as the instigator of the organized rebellion.

And I would really be pushing it, but I would want General Kota as well, might as well stack the wish list. :chuncky:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You know, for all intensive purposes, it's a doggy dog world but that's a mute point. Sure, perhaps sometimes you feel like an escape goat with so much being said tongue and cheek. Yes, I take for granite that people should know how to speak but the opposite is true in that many wreck havoc on the english language. I could care less most times but I try to help you nick it in the butt. Irregardless, maybe there should be some statue of limitations on this kind of stuff and let it fall by the waste side. You're probably buying your time waiting for the right moment to extract revenge and that's ok. Case and point, your reply.

Take this Copper!!!!! :tealc-gun02: Bet you can still read and understand it.

12190883_937929812959594_3883179234493803882_n.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just finished watching Episode V of a rewatch of the original trilogy, just getting ready to watch Episode VI. What I notice most is the complete lack of soapy romantic drama. Yes, there is the budding romance between Leia and Han, but it is nowhere near what we get with Anakin and Padme. The main goal is to win the war between the Empire and the Rebels. The central theme is never Han and Leia, or even Luke. The story always centers around winning the war, and we simply follow our characters through their experiences while contributing to that goal. After watching Episode VI, I will rewatch the prequels starting with Episode I, then II and III. This is the way they were released.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I just finished watching Episode V of a rewatch of the original trilogy, just getting ready to watch Episode VI. What I notice most is the complete lack of soapy romantic drama.
Umm, do you read every book in a series expecting the same story??
4-6 is about the rebellion and Luke
There is nothing that says 1-3 should be about the same thing.
Yes, there is the budding romance between Leia and Han, but it is nowhere near what we get with Anakin and Padme.
HE KISSED HER, IT'S SOAPY SHIT!!!
:lol:
The main goal is to win the war between the Empire and the Rebels. The central theme is never Han and Leia, or even Luke. The story always centers around winning the war, and we simply follow our characters through their experiences while contributing to that goal. After watching Episode VI, I will rewatch the prequels starting with Episode I, then II and III. This is the way they were released.
You do know that 1-3 is not about the rebellion, right?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Umm, do you read every book in a series expecting the same story??
4-6 is about the rebellion and Luke
There is nothing that says 1-3 should be about the same thing.

HE KISSED HER, IT'S SOAPY SHIT!!!
:lol:

You do know that 1-3 is not about the rebellion, right?

Episode II concentrates on the rebellion and the stuff (much contrived) which led to the war. The Phantom Menace started out with a little kid and much MUCH older Padme, then suddenly we get a much older and taller Anakin. Padme is a pedophile! :lol: Seriously though, I will try to go into the prequels in my rewatch without the folded arms I have for them now. A fresh perspective, as it were. Even poop ceases to stink after it's dried out, no? :cameronanime06: :P

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Take this Copper!!!!! :tealc-gun02: Bet you can still read and understand it.

12190883_937929812959594_3883179234493803882_n.jpg

It's amazing how the brain can reorganize the letters as you read them but that approach requires jumbling of the correct letters to be successful. Try that with completely misspelled words. :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's amazing how the brain can reorganize the letters as you read them but that approach requires jumbling of the correct letters to be successful. Try that with completely misspelled words. :icon_lol:

i didn't have to re-organize the letters

there were enough letters in the right place (particularly the first and last ones) and the other letters were the correct ones just not placed right

it is a bit like reading another language that you don't quite know-but just a little of-that uses the roman alphabet

if enough of the letters are correctly placed-that is,as in english-I can work it out. It is not completely "foreign" so workable.

I also find it amazing how many Americans will not even try to figure out something written in say,Spanish. It becomes painfully aware quickly, that they never had a proper education in English. They never had a 6th grade teacher who would tell us the Latin or Germanic root of an English word--of course it wasn't in his teaching plan, but then teachers didn't need one.

Now we have those "plans" and no one learns a thing.

But the kiddies sure can 'hashtag' and corrupt English to make those 140 characters or less.

-----------------------------
as I am sure you probably have read me "saying", the way I type on here is not a result of idiocy or the lack of education in spelling/grammar. It is however a result of arthritic fingers that don't always "want to" switch the caps lock or punctuate,etc.

I also have low regard for the internet as a primary means of inter-personal communication, so I never give it my best :rolleye0014:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just finished watching Episode V of a rewatch of the original trilogy, just getting ready to watch Episode VI. What I notice most is the complete lack of soapy romantic drama. Yes, there is the budding romance between Leia and Han, but it is nowhere near what we get with Anakin and Padme. The main goal is to win the war between the Empire and the Rebels. The central theme is never Han and Leia, or even Luke. The story always centers around winning the war, and we simply follow our characters through their experiences while contributing to that goal. After watching Episode VI, I will rewatch the prequels starting with Episode I, then II and III. This is the way they were released.

One of the reasons to show the budding romance between Padme and Anakin is to show how corruption to the dark side can take form in the place of what would seem to be normal human relationships. That Love can be a precursor for Evil doesn't resonate as possible for many people. Anakin took an oath to the Jedi, part of that oath was to foreswear romantic relationships and marriage. Is doing so anyhow was the first transgression against his oath in favor of emotions. Emotions lead ppl to make bad choices, those choices lead to evil and the dark side.

At least in that reality-and it is fantasy so...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The average star wars goer is not going to do it the way plinkett did either. That is my point dude. It's a funny review, but it has no basis when you do scrutinize it the way he is doing it. If he can dish it, surely the review should be able to take it, and it simply can't. it's a more polished version of "Lucas destroyed my childhood", something he -says- he is not doing, but he damn well is!!

Like I said, that's cool, I am just trying to understand it. He feels off to you two, ok, I get it. He does not to me, anymore than the effect of some poor writing.

I think Plinkett points out what the "average star wars goer" already knows about the prequels but can't quite articulate it the way he does. Yes, he adds some funny shtick to his reviews but by and large the meat of what he points out is accurate. It's not like he's overly scrutinizing the movies and nitpicking, rather, he's pointing out major issues with the plot and main characters that most people recognize as being valid for criticism.

*And for what it's worth I think his criticism of "King George" is spot on and goes a long way in explaining why the prequels were such crap.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

there were enough letters in the right place (particularly the first and last ones) and the other letters were the correct ones just not placed right

it is a bit like reading another language that you don't quite know-but just a little of-that uses the roman alphabet

if enough of the letters are correctly placed-that is,as in english-I can work it out. It is not completely "foreign" so workable.

The REAL test is...can you correct the incorrect stuff Bluce put in his post? :confused0006:He included some of my favorite gaffes in there, and left out a couple more. :)

I also find it amazing how many Americans will not even try to figure out something written in say,Spanish. It becomes painfully aware quickly, that they never had a proper education in English. They never had a 6th grade teacher who would tell us the Latin or Germanic root of an English word--of course it wasn't in his teaching plan, but then teachers didn't need one.

Now we have those "plans" and no one learns a thing.

But the kiddies sure can 'hashtag' and corrupt English to make those 140 characters or less.

The scary thing is that spellcheck sometimes gives INCORRECT "corrections". The spread of the misused apostrophe is the result of spellcheck in Word (Libre Office gets them right for some reason). I cannot say how disturbing it is to see actual store signs that say things like "Nail's and Hair" or "Umbrella's for sale". The problem is that the teachers are only teaching WHAT and not WHY. There are rules to grammar in English. I misspell many words here because I type incredibly fast. :) I usually re-read the posts later and correct my mistakes, but I definitely have a command of the language.

as I am sure you probably have read me "saying", the way I type on here is not a result of idiocy or the lack of education in spelling/grammar. It is however a result of arthritic fingers that don't always "want to" switch the caps lock or punctuate,etc.

I also have low regard for the internet as a primary means of inter-personal communication, so I never give it my best :rolleye0014:

Of course you are forgiven! But there is no harm in a little ribbing...:)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The REAL test is...can you correct the incorrect stuff Bluce put in his post? :confused0006:He included some of my favorite gaffes in there, and left out a couple more. :)

The scary thing is that spellcheck sometimes gives INCORRECT "corrections". The spread of the misused apostrophe is the result of spellcheck in Word (Libre Office gets them right for some reason). I cannot say how disturbing it is to see actual store signs that say things like "Nail's and Hair" or "Umbrella's for sale". The problem is that the teachers are only teaching WHAT and not WHY. There are rules to grammar in English. I misspell many words here because I type incredibly fast. :) I usually re-read the posts later and correct my mistakes, but I definitely have a command of the language.

Of course you are forgiven! But there is no harm in a little ribbing...:)

Sure I could correct BLUCE's attempts at deception....:icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Uh-huh. You realize you just described reorganization by the brain, right? :icon_lol:

Not even close. It's more akin to pattern recognition. Your brain sees a familiar pattern in the jumbled words and reorganizes them, which is why you can quickly read through the jumbled mess.

Translation is not reorganization. You can quickly read through a jumbled word paragraph in English. Your brain slows down considerably when trying to interpret something written in a foreign language. They are two completely distinct processes in your brain that have absolutely no resemblance of any kind.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Uh-huh. You realize you just described reorganization by the brain, right? :icon_lol:

Not even close. It's more akin to pattern recognition. Your brain sees a familiar pattern in the jumbled words and reorganizes them, which is why you can quickly read through the jumbled mess.

Translation is not reorganization. You can quickly read through a jumbled word paragraph in English. Your brain slows down considerably when trying to interpret something written in a foreign language. They are two completely distinct processes in your brain that have absolutely no resemblance of any kind.

whatever--pretty much what I said-I was explaining how I have found that "processing" these type of things-to include the written languages that English borrows from-comes fairly easily for me.

I was responding to OM whose post seemed to imply that I needed to re-write the words in a deliberate manner rather then process them 'behind the scenes' cognitively very easily

same as reading upside down-I do not need to turn the paper over has I have many ppl do.

it just seems strange to me that other ppl can not do these things

and with the language-what I meant was how simple words in other languages are a mystery to so many english speakers

take "libre" in spanish

duh! means free (to have or take)

as in :liberty: where both words, the english and the spanish (and french or italian I would presume have similar meanings) share the same latin root- "liber".

and that leads to my saying why I think so many ppl have issues with it- a lack of a proper education in English

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
whatever--pretty much what I said-I was explaining how I have found that "processing" these type of things-to include the written languages that English borrows from-comes fairly easily for me.

I was responding to OM whose post seemed to imply that I needed to re-write the words in a deliberate manner rather then process them 'behind the scenes' cognitively very easily

same as reading upside down-I do not need to turn the paper over has I have many ppl do.

it just seems strange to me that other ppl can not do these things

and with the language-what I meant was how simple words in other languages are a mystery to so many english speakers

take "libre" in spanish

duh! means free (to have or take)

as in :liberty: where both words, the english and the spanish (and french or italian I would presume have similar meanings) share the same latin root- "liber".

and that leads to my saying why I think so many ppl have issues with it- a lack of a proper education in English

That logic is not always as straightforward as you think. In Spanish, the word "libro" beans BOOK. It has nothing to do with freedom, but does share the Latin root liber which looks the same but means something entirely different. I think the genitives are different for each meaning.

Soooooo.....how did we get off topic here? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Word police :lol:

Hey, you are just as bad with your Star Wars knowledge! :anim_59: I actually got caught up doing something else and I interrupted my marathon before watching Episode VI. What was that something? RESEARCH! Starting with the Wiki, I discovered that...

• Episode VI was going to be named Revenge of the Jedi and not Return of the Jedi. The name was changed to Return at the last minute becausew Lucas thought that Jedi should not seek revenge.
  • Han Solo was supposed to die in an Imperial raid in Ep 6.
  • Yoda was not supposed to be in the film at all, but he was used to verify that Vader was Luke's father.
  • Luke was supposed to fly off into space by himself at the end, not be at a party.
  • There were not going to be Ewoks, they were going to be wookies on Endor and it was changed
  • Obi-Wan was supposed to come back to REAL FLESH AND BLOOD LIFE after his spectral existence in the Force. And Yoda as well. This is from Lucas himself (so much for your matter-of-fact statement saying this is not possible :P).
  • Lucas engaged a child psychologist to help him resolve certain aspects of the storylines in Ep 6.
Something else I have discovered is that much of the EU created by fans was ALWAYS seen as rogue writing not at all sanctioned by Lucas (in terms of the direction of his characters and the creation of new ones). Some of the EU characters made it into the Clone Wars, but Lucasfilm thought the EU was out of control. Yet, he was going to help preserve it under the Legends name. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm, they are the ones who erased the EU.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hey, you are just as bad with your Star Wars knowledge! :anim_59: I actually got caught up doing something else and I interrupted my marathon before watching Episode VI. What was that something? RESEARCH! Starting with the Wiki, I discovered that...

• Episode VI was going to be named Revenge of the Jedi and not Return of the Jedi. The name was changed to Return at the last minute becausew Lucas thought that Jedi should not seek revenge.

• (Also, it was considered too close to Wrath, as in Wrath of Khan {crossover geek FTW :lol: }
    [*]Han Solo was supposed to die in an Imperial raid in Ep 6.
    Harrison Ford -always- want's his characters killed off :P
    [*]Yoda was not supposed to be in the film at all, but he was used to verify that Vader was Luke's father.
    You mean in 6, yes?
    [*]Luke was supposed to fly off into space by himself at the end, not be at a party.
    Would probably make more sense given the sequence of events after he leaves Endor
    [*]There were not going to be Ewoks, they were going to be wookies on Endor and it was changed
    Yep, Oh the suffering that would have avoided...........
    [*]Obi-Wan was supposed to come back to REAL FLESH AND BLOOD LIFE after his spectral existence in the Force. And Yoda as well. This is from Lucas himself (so much for your matter-of-fact statement saying this is not possible :P).
    Doesn't matter, he's caught by his own canon ruling, tough shit now Lucas!!
    [*]Lucas engaged a child psychologist to help him resolve certain aspects of the storylines in Ep 6.
For the movie, or himself??? :D
Something else I have discovered is that much of the EU created by fans was ALWAYS seen as rogue writing not at all sanctioned by Lucas (in terms of the direction of his characters and the creation of new ones). Some of the EU characters made it into the Clone Wars, but Lucasfilm thought the EU was out of control. Yet, he was going to help preserve it under the Legends name. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm, they are the ones who erased the EU.
Correct. Unlike ST novels, (many of which were sanctioned by Gene and Paramount) Lucas never really liked people playing in his domain. Legends still exists, but they are no more canon than any other book or game out there.