Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Voyager avoided a disaster when Bujold left

i get the feeling they were looking for a "classically trained/well experienced" dramatic actress who could "match" Patrick Stewart (ala his Shakespearean experiences) as a female CPT Picard

i think Janeway is played as neither of those things--i think that Mulgrew brought another facet to the role as it should have--as diverse and rounded as is starfleet

<<btw-she does a great job in ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK as well :)>>>

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I know it has been said millions of times, but

whoever dreamed up the Neelix character deserves a special torture rack in hell :icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

he should have been a temp character for like a half of a season;that the decision was made to keep him for nearly the entire run of the show indicates to me that Ethan Phillips must of had some down and dirty pics of some TPTB's having sex with farm animals.

yes, blackmail in the real world is the only reason i can see for keeping the character of Neelix :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't know about that....had they not had Neelix we wouldn't have this:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't know about that....had they not had Neelix we wouldn't have this:

i just watched that ep today!

i wonder how many ppl --when the ep aired live--were going "YES!!!" only to be let down...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Why is it every series (scifi or not) seems to need a character for comic relief- from Data to Wesley (yes TNG had 2! ) to quark to neelix- the trek universe is as guilty as the rest of them are. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Without such characters it is hard to maintain dramatic balance (between comedy and heavier drama) in a longer running production like a series. Lest we forget the lack of such balance was a big issue with SGU and also with NuBSG. Too much drama is as unwatchable as too little.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Without such characters it is hard to maintain dramatic balance (between comedy and heavier drama) in a longer running production like a series. Lest we forget the lack of such balance was a big issue with SGU and also with NuBSG. Too much drama is as unwatchable as too little.

very true but why did the characters have to be constantly annoying? In my real-life there is no one comic relief person - sometimes it's Mr Rac, other times it's snookie, other days it's my trainer Isaac, or my coworker Mary- that is more realistic-- skip heavy drama let people (or aliens) be "real"! :P yeah just grousing here. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
from Tuvok's "Inter-species guide to Pon Farr" :

"Lt Torres as been aroused by ens Vorik...you must help her NOW Mr Paris...take her in the bushes and jump her bones!!!"

:)

Seriously though, why can't a female crewperson help a vulcan brother out? They are socially advanced enough to realize when something is needed, rather, lifesaving in the case of the Pon Farr. I am sure there are plenty of birth control measures in the 24th century as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
from Tuvok's "Inter-species guide to Pon Farr" :

"Lt Torres as been aroused by ens Vorik...you must help her NOW Mr Paris...take her in the bushes and jump her bones!!!"

:)

Seriously though, why can't a female crewperson help a vulcan brother out? They are socially advanced enough to realize when something is needed, rather, lifesaving in the case of the Pon Farr. I am sure there are plenty of birth control measures in the 24th century as well.

Yeah, well JJ Abrams has effectively re-written the Vulcans. Have you seen the latest Star Trek Beyond movie? :facepalm:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, well JJ Abrams has effectively re-written the Vulcans. Have you seen the latest Star Trek Beyond movie? :facepalm:

NOPE!

probably will not either--i have great insurance but the co-pays for therapy are a bitch

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Drill SGT Seven

:whip: :icon_lol:

Scheduled "fun"--i don't remember "fun" being this structured in basic training....

i think that during this rewatch, 7 has become my favorite character
upload_2016-8-16_13-4-53.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why is it every series (scifi or not) seems to need a character for comic relief- from Data to Wesley (yes TNG had 2! ) to quark to neelix- the trek universe is as guilty as the rest of them are. :P

I don't think they intended Wesley to be comic relief, but he was! To me, Worf was sorta comic relief. I just never took him seriously. Gawron, however, seemed like he would eat live kittens and gach for breakfast. And Martok was believable. Worf seemed like my favorite uncle who would play "monster" and chase me and growl and then scrub my head when he caught me. And his howling when people died was just....chuckleworthy. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't think they intended Wesley to be comic relief, but he was! To me, Worf was sorta comic relief. I just never took him seriously. Gawron, however, seemed like he would eat live kittens and gach for breakfast. And Martok was believable. Worf seemed like my favorite uncle who would play "monster" and chase me and growl and then scrub my head when he caught me. And his howling when people died was just....chuckleworthy. :)

I think the Klingons should have been written as 'natural allies' of earth;tenacious allies, ready for a fight with anyone. bonds with mankinds' instincts...but Roddenberry needed a foil to play as the Soviets.

I think the Romulans were shown as a far better choice to be the real world soviets then the klingons. the klingons were more like drunken NATO allies-like the french or italians-the romulans were unapproachable and purposefully reclusive

seems to me that the vulcans were just about the opposite of everything human especially for what the humans aspired to in space-in those things, the vulcans seemed to be retracting from space and would have gladly kept the humans "grounded"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I know this is a question asked by someone before-probably many times.

Ever since we saw Picard take off the safety protocols for the tommy guns in the holodeck to kill Borg, we know that the Borg can be killed by projectile weapons

So, in voyager, or any other show/movie with the Borg, why didn't Janeway have something like AK's or some AR styled high calibre weapons-like a .308-replicated?

Could have came in handy instead of those seemingly useless phaser rifles that the borg would adapt to after a blast or two

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know this is a question asked by someone before-probably many times.

Ever since we saw Picard take off the safety protocols for the tommy guns in the holodeck to kill Borg, we know that the Borg can be killed by projectile weapons

So, in voyager, or any other show/movie with the Borg, why didn't Janeway have something like AK's or some AR styled high calibre weapons-like a .308-replicated?

Could have came in handy instead of those seemingly useless phaser rifles that the borg would adapt to after a blast or two

The holodeck technology presented so many suspensions of belief, it was really a dumb idea in many ways. I said earlier, how Starfleet could just have built holo-cores (studded with say....100,000 emitters), beamed them into space and then generated entire ships from them. How come the photon torpedo tubes don't have replicators built into them to replicate the torpedoes? Why do any shuttles have to be repaired when they could just be replicated in the shuttlebay? So many things...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How come the photon torpedo tubes don't have replicators

in VOY at some point in S5- I would guess, they seemingly run out of torpedos

earlier they had a weapons count and there were only 32 tpds left (not counting the tricobalt and other special tpds). just by casual watching one would assume that number was exhausted along the way

-------------------
BUT!!!

What about the borg? forget about the holodeck

we know that firearms were still in use at this time for special purposes. the sniper story in DS9 told us that

the Picard moment was just a way of showing the borg were susceptible to firearms or other projos. (of course it gave P Stewart a chance to have his "rage" moment as well :) )

But, we know the borg are just mainly flesh below their suits-should be no reason (with or without the Picard demonstration) that a mid to high calibre round would not kill them

but, of course, using such weapons may have made things too convenient and made the script less dramatic

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The holodeck technology presented so many suspensions of belief, it was really a dumb idea in many ways. I said earlier, how Starfleet could just have built holo-cores (studded with say....100,000 emitters), beamed them into space and then generated entire ships from them. How come the photon torpedo tubes don't have replicators built into them to replicate the torpedoes? Why do any shuttles have to be repaired when they could just be replicated in the shuttlebay? So many things...

perhaps starfleet and the federation need a mini, neo-Luddite movement :)