Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this comment could be about any show that relies on a lot of spt actors

just a thought on "work" Hollywood style

just how the F do these spt actors make a living?
how do they live; do they bunk up like 5 to a single bedroom studio?

While watching VOYA on amazon, i open up the "xray" feature-it tells you what actors are in each scene and things like trivia on the ep and goofs, etc

some of these actors just seem to live sad, just scrapping by lives

i mean, how much could a "c" list actor of no major past accomplishments make for being made up as an alien for an ep of trek?

couple of hundred bucks?

and to read the resume that amazon shows--granted-it is only other shows/movies that are on amazon, but still, these ppl have been doing bit parts,some of them, for decades

idk how the hell they spt themselves let alone a family

is the LA area filled with ppl like this? hoping to "make it" after just one more take in a rubber mask?

just a 'ponderance' :icon_e_ugeek:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
upload_2016-8-18_22-58-19.png
know they are doing an overhaul-something normally done at Jupiter station or some at Mars,etc

but what, specifically are they doing in this shot? Are those brown colored rings-in the nacelles, the shuttles are lifting out the warp coils?

and, keeping it for the "layman" as I am, just how do the nacelles operate?

i get the warp core generates the power (electric?) and sends it to the nacelles to create a warp field, but what happens specifically in the nacelles?

if the warp system is creating the warp field then where is the propulsion coming from?

Deuterium, dilithium (just how good would that work on schizophrenia!!! :happy0007:) and the other elements\,metals, gases- how do they fit in?

i await your explanationon the edge of my seat :popcorn:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am not 100% certain what those components are (this is a shot from the Voyager episode Nightingale). I really liked that they addressed a potential plot issue with the show (how does Voyager keep going for years with no Starbases) in this episode. The Harry Kim 'B' story, it was okay.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I don't think they intended Wesley to be comic relief, but he was! To me, Worf was sorta comic relief. I just never took him seriously. Gawron, however, seemed like he would eat live kittens and gach for breakfast. And Martok was believable. Worf seemed like my favorite uncle who would play "monster" and chase me and growl and then scrub my head when he caught me. And his howling when people died was just....chuckleworthy. :)

worf was what I meant about not constant comic relief...sometimes he was funny and played for comedy - other times he was not.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
worf was what I meant about not constant comic relief...sometimes he was funny and played for comedy - other times he was not.

like seven, the Dr or Tuvok

not being funny intentionally but the situation of the scene causes some comedy

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
BBC America has been running ST:Voyager from the beginning and we have been enjoying the rewatch. You forget how the show was before Seven joined them or who Seska was (cardassian spy among the maquis who turned traitor again) and how Torres and Tom got togethjer. So are they the only major characters on a ST who became (and remained) a couple?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I believe they are.

It doesn't hurt that B'elanna, Janeway and Seven were all strong female characters. Janeway is still my favorite Captain.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
BBC America has been running ST:Voyager from the beginning and we have been enjoying the rewatch. You forget how the show was before Seven joined them or who Seska was (cardassian spy among the maquis who turned traitor again) and how Torres and Tom got togethjer. So are they the only major characters on a ST who became (and remained) a couple?

How quaint!!! Watching on tv so as not to miss out on the commercial experience! :icon_lol:

I rewatched it last year on NF (or amazon?), it was a really good show, got a little tropey here and there-especially S1, but it was entertaining

Neelix was just a pest to watch-the only thing good about him was in his interactions with 'Mr Vulcan' and the doctor.

I think two of my favorite VOY eps was the 'DISTANT ORIGIN' ep and the-was it time in a bottle? os something? Where they got trapped in the atmosphere of a rogue planet wear time passed so much faster then in 'real time'. Showing how mush the presence of the ship in orbit affected the planet and the civilization on it.

And of course,DISTANT ORIGIN was the one with the dinosaurs who were advanced enough to escape Earth prior to the wipeout of other dino's

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Riker and Deanna Troi. :) Keiko and Miles O'Brien (and they were the only ones to have two children).

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Riker and Deanna Troi. :) Keiko and Miles O'Brien (and they were the only ones to have two children).

Don't forget about picard and the doctor, coz you know he was tapping that right. And then that little triangle they had going on with the Borg queen.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Keiko & miles were secondary characters. You never saw riker and troi as a long term couple,

I had forgotten Dax and Worf...they were main characters! :wanking:

I hate auto correct!

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's Sunday morning. I find myself up early with nothing on my schedule. On the table, a bottle of Port Askaig single malt Islay whisky still two thirds filled. Wife's still in bed, thankfully. I put on Voyager to keep me company. The first episode which came up next in line was Critical Care, season 7 episode 5. I watched the episode while enjoying a glass or two of the Scotch after which I enjoyed a quick Smoke of some excellent Dutch tobacco. (nothing funny in it) Afterwards, I felt compelled to write this.

This episode, while not containing any high tech sci-fi stuff or action packed space battles or whatelsenot, is in my opinion the embodiment of why Star Trek in general is great and in particular why Voyager is probably the best of the Star Trek shows around. The episode centers entirely around morals and ethics. Surely it is poured into a sci-fi mold, but at its core that's not what it's about. I think that is what makes it so excellent. It is not about being sci-fi, it is about the story. The fact that it is moulded into a sci-fi environment is basically hardly noticeable. At least to a sci-fi fan, perhaps "regular" people might notice a lot of techno-stuff going on, but as a Star Trek veteran you would not notice those things and just accept them as regular things.

The episode starts with The Doctor (god I love his character) being awakened in an alien environment. It turns out to be a hospital where a level of care is given based on a person's standing in society rather than on his medical needs. There are several treatment levels indicated by colours. A stark contrast is created between level red, which contains patients who are in desperate need of treatment or they'll basically probably die, and level blue, which contains patients who hold certain positions in society which are deemed important but who don't really require any medical care, those are just receiving treatments which prolong their lifespan. The same medications used to prolong the blue patients' lifespan are the ones which would save the red patients' lives. Naturally, this type of situation intentionally displays at extremes something which could go wrong in society as we know it. The Doctor is caught in the middle of all this.

Naturally, The Doctor is programmed according to the Hippocratic oath to do no harm and to help people who are in need. An oath which I think we can all agree is a good one. Being a computer program, he is forced to follow rules. He is however far from the hologram he was when he was first activated in season one. He has learned to be an individual within the confines of what his programming allows. (which is a lot) He is seen bending the rules and plotting and scheming to use them at his own advantage, for the patients' sakes. At the end of the episode, it basically becomes clear that The Doctor has grown far beyond what could ever be expected from a computer program. It demonstrates that he has more or less become a regular human being. (a really nice touch in my opinion)

THIS is Star Trek at its best! I really wouldn't have expected myself saying something like that based on this at first glance innocuous filler episode, but that is where it's at. I would highly recommend (re)watching this episode, even to people who don't know the first thing about Star Trek or who don't like it at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's Sunday morning. I find myself up early with nothing on my schedule. On the table, a bottle of Port Askaig single malt Islay whisky still two thirds filled. Wife's still in bed, thankfully. I put on Voyager to keep me company. The first episode which came up next in line was Critical Care, season 7 episode 5. I watched the episode while enjoying a glass or two of the Scotch after which I enjoyed a quick Smoke of some excellent Dutch tobacco. (nothing funny in it) Afterwards, I felt compelled to write this.

This episode, while not containing any high tech sci-fi stuff or action packed space battles or whatelsenot, is in my opinion the embodiment of why Star Trek in general is great and in particular why Voyager is probably the best of the Star Trek shows around. The episode centers entirely around morals and ethics. Surely it is poured into a sci-fi mold, but at its core that's not what it's about. I think that is what makes it so excellent. It is not about being sci-fi, it is about the story. The fact that it is moulded into a sci-fi environment is basically hardly noticeable. At least to a sci-fi fan, perhaps "regular" people might notice a lot of techno-stuff going on, but as a Star Trek veteran you would not notice those things and just accept them as regular things.

The episode starts with The Doctor (god I love his character) being awakened in an alien environment. It turns out to be a hospital where a level of care is given based on a person's standing in society rather than on his medical needs. There are several treatment levels indicated by colours. A stark contrast is created between level red, which contains patients who are in desperate need of treatment or they'll basically probably die, and level blue, which contains patients who hold certain positions in society which are deemed important but who don't really require any medical care, those are just receiving treatments which prolong their lifespan. The same medications used to prolong the blue patients' lifespan are the ones which would save the red patients' lives. Naturally, this type of situation intentionally displays at extremes something which could go wrong in society as we know it. The Doctor is caught in the middle of all this.

Naturally, The Doctor is programmed according to the Hippocratic oath to do no harm and to help people who are in need. An oath which I think we can all agree is a good one. Being a computer program, he is forced to follow rules. He is however far from the hologram he was when he was first activated in season one. He has learned to be an individual within the confines of what his programming allows. (which is a lot) He is seen bending the rules and plotting and scheming to use them at his own advantage, for the patients' sakes. At the end of the episode, it basically becomes clear that The Doctor has grown far beyond what could ever be expected from a computer program. It demonstrates that he has more or less become a regular human being. (a really nice touch in my opinion)

THIS is Star Trek at its best! I really wouldn't have expected myself saying something like that based on this at first glance innocuous filler episode, but that is where it's at. I would highly recommend (re)watching this episode, even to people who don't know the first thing about Star Trek or who don't like it at all.

That was a great episode. Voyager brought back the TOS ethic more than TNG did. Smaller, more intimate crew, a more single purpose mission, new aliens, new space, and no Starfleet to fall back on. Although DS9 is still my favorite Star Trek series, Voyager has my favorite captain and my favorite ship and IMO best carries on the original vision of Star Trek with regard to Roddenberry's vision.

The episode you spoke of is a great social commentary on our healthcare systems.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think The Doctor is my favourite character of the show. They really did a good job fleshing him out and growing him. Robert Picardo probably deserves a lot of credit for the way he portrayed the character and made him likeable.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Oh my god! They dropped the ball!!!

Season 7 episode 7 named Body and Soul. Tuvok is having a pon far situation which only comes once every 7 years. He just had one in season 6 though! (episode 13 of season 6 name Virtuoso)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you are referring to this:

The whole thing was a fantasy of the Doctor

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you are referring to this:

The whole thing was a fantasy of the Doctor

I ended up watching that episode after writing my post, and you are right. :) The Pon Far was only in his fantasy and not real.