Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
My tl;dr reaction

"how do you preserve and protect what Starfleet is in the weight of a challenge like war and the things that have to be done in war."

This quote has kind of stuck in my head, and clearly shows that the writers, producers or whoever else has zero clue on the past iterations of Star Trek or what they've done or attempted to expand. DS9 had a war arc, it showed off what happens when a threat to federation changes the very way of life, in the name of security how easily they were to giving up all of their civil liberties. They also did the episode AR-558, showing the bleak hopelessness of war, soldiers stuck there forced to hold a position, with no reinforcements or relief which might help out the war effort, people are dying for a maybe.

I'm not trying to make myself out as great or anything, but I've done creative/screen play writing as a hobby, and when you present ideas to the group you are utterly grilled to the point of saying "Why am I putting myself through this?" Because you have to be, you need to have people to utterly dissect your work. Why is this character like this? Did you show it, telegraph it previously? ST:D screams to me the clear notion that Hollywood's almost incestous nature has essentially bred in a very secluded group who completely cut off from not only reality but the source material they claim to represent. While I dislike prequels in general ST:D could of done the Klingon Federation War in a compelling way, instead they are chasing after metrics and audiences which only exist on spread sheets and graphs or worse still they are simply using their positions to further their own agendas in the collective insulated bubble. Maybe it is both, they bamboozle executives with data, graphs and fancy presentations using word manipulation to hide their gross incompetence.

DLGaYqbWAAAsXDJ.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Will somebody tell me why there is a freakin tribble in Captain Lorca's office when nobody in the Federation is supposed to have seen one until more than 10 years later? Such a creature would have been banned in the Federation because of it's biology, no matter how cute they are. That was when I shut it off, when I heard the tribble and saw it on his desk.

And why even have any tribbles in any of this reboot crap? Nobody in the new audience will understand what the tribbles are and why they are in Star Trek unless they saw the TOS episode. Now, I expect them to throw a Gorn in there somewhere. If those things are supposed to appeal to real Star Trek fans, just LOL!

Will somebody tell me why there is a freakin tribble in Captain Lorca's office when nobody in the Federation is supposed to have seen one until more than 10 years later? Such a creature would have been banned in the Federation because of it's biology, no matter how cute they are. That was when I shut it off, when I heard the tribble and saw it on his desk.

And why even have any tribbles in any of this reboot crap? Nobody in the new audience will understand what the tribbles are and why they are in Star Trek unless they saw the TOS episode. Now, I expect them to throw a Gorn in there somewhere. If those things are supposed to appeal to real Star Trek fans, just LOL!

Tribble on the desk and a Gorn skeleton in the closet. Such pathetic writing.

tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
They probably think they are Easter Eggs but don't realize the true fans that would actually understand it would just be pissed off by anachronisms existing in the show.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Don't you know? It's for the canon reference :rolleyes: :lol: What's so bad that Bryan Fuller himself has completely distanced himself from Discovery. He does not even mention it in his twitter or anything.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller

Something tells me that there must have been a very bitter feud between him and CBS to make him go this silent. Bryan must have wanted a nicer Star Trek but my guess is that they must have been upset of how Enterprise reception was received so they did not want to do another enterprise so instead CBS wanted a reboot but a darker reboot. However, it looks like Bryan was not interested in this so he left.

They also tweeted this. The Star Trek TPTB love to troll fans and this is the kind of disrespectful tweets we get...Worth reading the replies. Not a single positive one as far as I can see.

I also saw this too which I am finding it a bit hard to believe and seems extremely disturbing too.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I'll give them credit for one thing on Discovery - they have managed to give us the most unsympathetic character I have seen in years in the Michael Burnham character - unfortunately she is the lead and the person we are supposed to identify with. She is written as an arrogant idiot who makes bad choice after bad choice and never regrets them. She makes Rush from SGU look likable. Add in Sonequa Martin-Green is not exactly a great actress (she stunk as Sasha in The Walking Dead and stinks here too) and it is an awful brew.

Come on producers - give the audience SOMEBODY they can actually root for.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I'll give them credit for one thing on Discovery - they have managed to give us the most unsympathetic character I have seen in years in the Michael Burnham character - unfortunately she is the lead and the person we are supposed to identify with. She is written as an arrogant idiot who makes bad choice after bad choice and never regrets them. She makes Rush from SGU look likable. Add in Sonequa Martin-Green is not exactly a great actress (she stunk as Sasha in The Walking Dead and stinks here too) and it is an awful brew.

She is worse than anyone I can think of in any Star Trek movie. I could respect Kahn, even though he was arrogant and narcissistic. I respected Gowron, Martok, Worf, even Quark. In TOS, I respected Dr Daystrom and even Gary Mitchell. But this Michael Burnam character is just a beotch.

This show, however....

11dscthings-death2.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tribble on the desk and a Gorn skeleton in the closet. Such pathetic writing.

tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

OMG, I soooo missed that. Kurtzman luuuurrrves him some tribbles! And THE Gorn. Why would anyone have a skeleton of any type displayed in their office? Why does this show assume any Trek fans are watching it, who will see the easter eggs? It's so damned bad! Dammit!

giphy.gif

heisenberg

Earl Grey
OMG, I soooo missed that. Kurtzman luuuurrrves him some tribbles! And THE Gorn. Why would anyone have a skeleton of any type displayed in their office? Why does this show assume any Trek fans are watching it, who will see the easter eggs? It's so damned bad! Dammit!

View attachment 33542
It might to do with section 31 which makes more sense. Just see this novel for example

I actually like this concept and I might actually read these novels because these stories sound actually pretty cool but damn Kurtzman has made it a headache watching this show...

I also noticed that David Mack(one of the guys who wrote section 31 novels) has been pretty heavily involved in the star trek universe with also writing novels on the new series but also writing the mirror universe novels too so this change in direction would make sense if this series is indeed something different. Note though, this is all speculations but my speculation does make sense if you think about it...

https://www.amazon.com.au/d/Star-Tr...s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1507110573&sr=1-76

https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=sr_pg_5?rh=n:2490359051,p_27:David+Mack&page=5&sort=relevancerank&ie=UTF8&qid=1507110268

Don't write off Discovery just yet even though it's been a royal pain to watch and very ambiguous.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
See above. I think we are seeing an alternate dimension which may tie in all together.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So they may be using Section 31 as a way to circumvent the timeline and canon?
It's possible because they did show them in black which is section 31. It would also explain the mystery behind discovery however, they gave an awful start by making it boring/annoying and well, confusing pilot episodes that made no sense.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Section 31 is not a license to throw plot continuity and canon away like so much rubbish. It also does not make having not even one character you can root for or identify with acceptable.

Section 31 is not a license to throw plot continuity and canon away like so much rubbish. It also does not make having not even one character you can root for or identify with acceptable.

I agree. Though perhaps the writers are implying that Section 31 has encountered all this stuff (Gorns, Tribbles, etc.) before it was "officially" discovered. I'm not saying that's right to do, just that the writers could be using the secrecy of Sec 31 as a way of skirting canon. Regardless, they are egregiously flouting canon and are doing so on behalf of characters that are downright nasty and unsympathetic.

I am curious to know how they are counting "ratings" for this show. I suspect the Netflix backing will keep it immune from cancellation although it clearly deserves to be canceled. So how would that work; this show being dropped due to viewer dissatisfaction and lack of viewing? Is that even possible in this new marketing paradigm? :daniel_new004:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I agree. Though perhaps the writers are implying that Section 31 has encountered all this stuff (Gorns, Tribbles, etc.) before it was "officially" discovered. I'm not saying that's right to do, just that the writers could be using the secrecy of Sec 31 as a way of skirting canon. Regardless, they are egregiously flouting canon and are doing so on behalf of characters that are downright nasty and unsympathetic.

I am curious to know how they are counting "ratings" for this show. I suspect the Netflix backing will keep it immune from cancellation although it clearly deserves to be canceled. So how would that work; this show being dropped due to viewer dissatisfaction and lack of viewing? Is that even possible in this new marketing paradigm? :daniel_new004:
They just extended the first half season to 9 episodes - lol. They are getting desperate to get this show more airtime it seems

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/10/cb...e-to-november-12-new-episode-titles-revealed/

The comment section is filled with shills lol.

They just extended the first half season to 9 episodes - lol. They are getting desperate to get this show more airtime it seems

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/10/cb...e-to-november-12-new-episode-titles-revealed/

The comment section is filled with shills lol.

Yes, the shilling is terrible in those comments. The spin on why they're getting an extra episode is laughable. The shills are glossing over the fact that CBS knows this show sucks and are hoping that, somehow, they might get more people to stick around if they add more content on this side of the season break. It's obvious as hell. Why else would they do it? It's desperation pure and simple. :icon_lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, the shilling is terrible in those comments. The spin on why they're getting an extra episode is laughable. The shills are glossing over the fact that CBS knows this show sucks and are hoping that, somehow, they might get more people to stick around if they add more content on this side of the season break. It's obvious as hell. Why else would they do it? It's desperation pure and simple. :icon_lol: